Profile for Steph > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 421

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steph "booklover" RSS Feed (California)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tri-Lynx 00028 White 6-LED Solar Light with Motion and Dusk/Dawn Sensor
Tri-Lynx 00028 White 6-LED Solar Light with Motion and Dusk/Dawn Sensor
Price: $22.55

4.0 out of 5 stars The light casts a white/gray cast so a bit dim. It is good for general navigation purposes but not for seeing details at night., May 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This solar light really comes in handy. It is portable and lays well on any flat surface such as a table, side table or shelf. I think it would be great to take out camping to lay out at night to get around. But I decided to use it at home on my front door because I was sick of fumbling -trying to fit the key in the lock when it was dark. So far it has been working well. It shuts off in 25-30 sec. plenty of time to get me inside. However, positioning may be a problem for some people. It is a bit bulky, a triangular bar. Imagine a large prism bar, where one point sticks out. Because isn't flat on the surface it is very noticeable. So maybe not too attractive in design for those more conscious of streamline looks. One side has the solar panel, the second side has the light and the third side is where it lays flat and has holes on the top and bottom to screw it on a flat surface if you want. (You are also given velcro strips for the back adhesion if you don't want to screw it in, too) Also, while the light is perfectly sufficient for me to open my door it may not be as bright as some people might expect. I would say it is good for general navigation purposes but not for seeing details at night. This is because it is a LED it casts a whitish/gray light that a bit dim. Lastly, while I charged it for 12 hours in sunlight before use (per instructions) I am not sure how long the charge will last. So far so good, I've used it for the past week and the light functions well. However, my front door area is not the brightest and I wonder if it will charge much over the long term.
Overall, I have found this very helpful but if it doesn't charge well under less ideal lighting conditions I may change it for use at the entry way of my patio where there is a lot more light for it to recharge. This is nifty gadget which I find very useful.

Aveeno Sheer Hydration Daily Moisturizing Lotion, 12 Fluid Ounce
Aveeno Sheer Hydration Daily Moisturizing Lotion, 12 Fluid Ounce
Price: $6.97
5 used & new from $6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars This lotion may feel thin but it does hydrates better than comparable cetaphil or lubriderm, or eucerin., May 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been a fan of Aveeno. Aveeno products are particularly good for people with sensitivity and allergies. (The exception would be any Aveeno with fragrance added.) This sheer hydration does soak in quickly and it isn't sticky. It feels divine on your skin. I also like that some still stays on after washing your hands. If you have dry skin this will help. This lotion may feel thin but it does hydrates better than comparable cetaphil or lubriderm, or eucerin. However, if you have cracked, flaky skin such as on your hands or feet this will relieve some of the dryness but you would be probably be better off using something with shea butter instead. For example, when I'm at work I was my hands at least 20 -30 times a day and this only gives me temporary relief. But you are under more normal conditions this lotion works fabulously. I think is works particularly well using after you shower which locks in even more moisture. Aveeno and DML lotion products are my favs!

Pantene Pro-V Weekly Rehab Creme 1.9 Fl Oz
Pantene Pro-V Weekly Rehab Creme 1.9 Fl Oz
Price: $3.99
31 used & new from $1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars It works wonders & a nice price to try out but comes in small tube & overall if used frequently will be more $ than other brands, April 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit it! I have damaged my hair with coloring and highlighting. So it needed something to save it!
And Pantene Pro-V works great. You don't have to use a whole lot, but if you have very long hair you might find yourself needing more soon, since the tube is rather small. After washing my hair I let it soak for ~ 2min per instructions and I could feel the difference. My hair felt less brittle and more hydrated. I will have to see if it improves with prolonged use but so far so good! For the price this isn't a big commitment. I have been using 10 Miracle hair mask which also works wonderfully. But because Pantene is 1.9 oz and 10 Miracle mask comes in 8 oz and 17.5 oz sizes I was surprised to figure out the 10 miracle mask is actually less expensive. However, because the Pantene tube it is smaller you don't feel as bad buying it to see if it works out while other products you have to pay a lot more for something up front that you won't use later.
I would definitely try it out if you have damaged hair. I would give this product 4 1/2 stars. It would be nice if it came in a larger bottle with a more economical price for people with longer hair or need to use frequently.

Life n Soul BM101-BR IPX4 Mini Water Resistant Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Life n Soul BM101-BR IPX4 Mini Water Resistant Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Price: $24.99
3 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars This lightweight speaker charges fast & has a decent sound quality. For the price I think this speaker is a deal, April 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Cute, durable and very compact.
This lightweight speaker charges fast and has a decent sound quality. I love how convenient it is. I charged it and took it on a hiking trip and it was great. I only wish it lasted longer. It was nice to have the music on in a such a beautiful setting. For the price I think this speaker is a great deal. Although it supposed to be water resistant mine hasn't gotten wet enough to verify, but everything else about seems sturdy except, perhaps, for the strap which could tear off.
Overall, I am extremely pleased with the product.

Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal
Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal
Price: $22.49
3 used & new from $21.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Has a great hefty, quality feel that you will uses for many years to come. This thing is worth the money., April 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love this item, no more worries about your opened bottle going flat. Also so much easier -no hurting your hand to get the darn cap off- great for people with poor hand strength like seniors. Has a great hefty, quality feel that you will uses for many years to come. This thing is worth the money.

skyn ICELAND Hydro Cool Firming Face Gels, 8 Count
skyn ICELAND Hydro Cool Firming Face Gels, 8 Count
Price: $35.00
8 used & new from $34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars These are perfect for emergencies. like after a late night. They helped swelling under my eyes & stress lines but R temporary., April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are perfect for emergencies. like after a late night or when you are feeling particularly tired/stressed and you want to look better quickly.

I've been recovering from a cold and looked it. Nothing makes you feel worse than when you know you look bad, too!

So I used it on my face and left it on while watching TV ~ 1 hour. It really refreshed my face, stress lines gone and puffiness under the eyes less swollen and more firm. (You aren't technically supposed to use it under your eyes but it was a little big for my face and I cut the extra areas and placed then underneath my eyes.) While the results don't completely last, I noticed that the next day my face still looks less tired.
There are 3 strips one for the forehead and 2 others for the sides of your mouth -the laugh lines. After using it, it hydrated my face and I noticed the thin film of gel that sticks to your face had been partially used up. Since it was still a little sticky I placed it on my neck under my chin, too.

These face gels feel great and seem to tighten on your face as you wear them. They seemed to temporarily help with stress lines and swelling of the face- under the eyes. These are fantastic for quick fixes but since it is a bit expensive I don't think I will be using them every week as instructed but rather on days I don't feel my best. I think if you did these long term they would help. Which is a plus since they are non-invasive and safe.

Mirrotek Over The Door Combination Jewelry and Makeup Armoire, White
Mirrotek Over The Door Combination Jewelry and Makeup Armoire, White
Price: $170.35
3 used & new from $170.35

4.0 out of 5 stars The top half of the cabinet can really only hold very thin tubes or small makeup accessories. The cabinet also bangs or swings, April 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Convenience and a fantastic space saver!
The Mirrotek was easy to assemble - you just screw in the metal hooks according to the height you want on the back of the cabinet. (I would suggest measuring the height where the mirror is placed so it is at face level before you screw in the hooks on the back first.)
This is a lovely and well made piece of work. I like the keys that will hold the door secure for added protection and the solid magnet that clamps the door shut the rest of the time. It is surprisingly heavy and at first I though our rather hollow bathroom door would not be able to hold it- but no problem!
However, there are a few disadvantages to the Mirrotek. The first is that the hook that stick out on the door for hanging necklaces etc. push into the space so you can't put anything with a diameter wider than ~ 1/2 inch in that area. This limits where you can place your shelving and where you can pace larger tubes and canisters. Most of the the larger items we had no choice but to place on the very bottom- a bit inconveniently but the only way the system would fit them. The space above the mirror is also limited due to the fact you don't want to lover the shelves and block the mirror. So the top half of the cabinet can really only hold very thin tubes or small makeup accessories. Like lipstick and eye make-up. The handy plastic cups were great for makeup brushes, tubes of gloss and tweezers. So it does not quite hold as much as you would think upon first inspection.
The only other issue is that when we close our bathroom door the cabinet bangs or swings back and forth against the door. So we tried placing velcro on the bottom behind the cabinet to stick it more securing to the door -it helped a bit. We also had the problem of the cabinet hitting the wall when we opened it wide so we had to place a small plastic bumper on the wall so the cabinet would not directly hit the wall.
Overall, these were small things that didn't give it the full 5 stars but because it has saved us so much space and we can now see our counter it far outweighs the disadvantages that I can live with.

L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil, 6.7 fl. oz.
L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil, 6.7 fl. oz.
Price: $22.00
2 used & new from $22.00

4.0 out of 5 stars After using it my face does feel clean yet hydrated, not like other harsh soaps. But the faint fragrance is starting to bother, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cleansing oil works surprisingly well. After using it the first week my face does felt clean yet hydrated, not like other harsh soaps. I did needed to rub a bit more or use extra oil to remove my eye make up but other than that is works great. My lotions, foundations etc came off fairly easily and when I dried my face on my towel I don't see any make-up residue!
The only problem is that I have allergies. At first I didn't mind the faint baby powder smell. But I notice the more I use the product the more it is starting to bother me. My eyes and nose feel a little irritated and now my skin is starting to feel uncomfortable. My skin is clean but doesn't feel clean. Because of this I stopped using it regularly and after use I wash it off thoroughly with warm water. But even after that my skin is still soft. I think due to my reaction I will have to discontinue use it soon. Which is such a shame! But for people who aren't really sensitive I think this is a great alternative to the other soaps on the market which are abrasive and strip your skin. If this came in a fragrance free or another company had something of this quality which was hypoallergenic I would be purchasing it in a heart beat!

The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get it Back
by Clark Elliott
Price: $20.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, provocative and touching. This is a story/journey to remember. However, it is not an easy read., April 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Ghost in My Brain is a thoughtful look into the debilitating affects a brain injury can cause a person of even great intellect. I found this book at times frustrating, emotional and thought-provoking.
It can basically be broken into two parts.
The emotional story. One in which the author expresses in great detail the turmoil he experienced as he suffered trying to do daily activities we all take for granted. It also demonstrates how modern medicine seems to coldly dismiss those who are deemed healthy because they cannot find any real physical evidence of it of a physical problem. Although the author appeared healthy after his car accident. He struggled to do the most basic things such as walk down stairs or drive home from work. He was not malingering (pretending to be sick), Yet in the many visits he made to doctors, they dismissed his concerns and did not take the time to look deeper. Sad and discouraging.
The second part of the book which I found far more intriguing was how he finally did find help and the process or new science of brain plasticity. It shows that there is more out there which is unexplored. I enjoyed reading about brain plasticity. How we can re-learn how to function by creating new neural connections even when we are older. I wish this could have been explained a bit more. Although the author does try to explain, it was more through his experiences but not as much the theories behind it.
This book will give hope to those seeking answers to changes they have experienced post brain injuries and help others suffering with them understand/sympathize with the debilitating affects they can cause. Just reading about the difficulties the author experienced driving home were frustrating and agonizing for me.
The only criticism I would mention is that this book can be somewhat jarring as the author often switches back and forth between his personal experiences to his explanations of the new science. I think it would have been easier to read his story separately then explain the new science in summary after or vice versa. At least a smoother and more enjoyable read for me.
As a side note, this is not an easy read. But it is one well worth the time.

Command Broom Gripper, White with Grey Band
Command Broom Gripper, White with Grey Band
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid product but handle must have a diameter larger than 3/4" or it will fall out of the gripper., April 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very convenient/solid product. I use it to hold my broom behind my storage door on my patio. I was surprised at how much weight it is capable of holding. The are only 2 problems with this item. One is making sure you get a good seal (really clean off the surface you want it to stick it to first and make sure that surface is smooth - too rough and it may not stick properly). The second down side is that handle/stick that you place in the gripper must have a diameter larger than 3/4" or it will fall out. Mine was a little too small so I had to wrap duck tape around the handle to make it thicker so it wouldn't slide out of the gripper. However, since most broom handles are thicker than this it usually will not be a problem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20