Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for Pie Grrrl > Reviews

Browse

Pie Grrrl's Profile

Customer Reviews: 695
Top Reviewer Ranking: 635

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pie Grrrl RSS Feed (MidWest)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mixcder Ghost Over-Ear Wireless Wired Bluetooth Headphones with Built-in Noise-cancelling Mic(CSR Chips,aptX,Enhanced Data Rate,40mm dynamic Drive,Extra 20 Hours Playing Time,180°Rotating Armband)
Offered by Xfire
Price: $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mine! All Mine! No Sharing THESE Headphones With The Grandkids! :D, February 11, 2016
We've all heard that famous line from "Jerry Maguire"---"You had me at "Hello." "

Well, when I was offered a chance to try out these headphones from Mixcder and saw that the prevailing theme was SPIRALS!!!....all I can say is, "They had me at the Spirals." :D

Notice the first picture that I posted for this review: it's a photo of my first tattoo, over 30 years years ago! Of all the symbols that Mixcder could have chosen, I was exceedingly impressed that they chose one of the oldest symbols known to mankind....representing our continual spiritual evolution, the pathway of life, our role in the Cosmos and so many other interpretations.

If the headphone's sound quality even approached HALF of what the Art Department did in designing the headphones and packaging, I knew I was in for a treat!

The box this headphone comes in is nice. I like the "sneak peek" of seeing the spiral design on the headphones. I also appreciated the Retro Cool 1950's-early 1960's vibe that advertizers used for everything back in those days. (yeah, I was alive back then!) LOL

It's clear that Mixcder is proud of their headphones: when you pull out the contents of the box, the spiral designed headphones are featured like a Tiffany jewel in a custom designed plastic insert. Flip over the insert and you encounter a mesh/fabric pouch to store them inside and under the pouch are the USB cables, a jack and the instructions.

My headphones came charged so I was able to try pairing right out of the box: they paired instantly with my tablet and then with my laptop. There are voice prompts and the voice also provides a "code" if needed---none was needed for pairing. The voice also announces when you power off. The sound is phenomenal and perfect for the type of music that I listen to :jazz/blues/classical and folk. I wore them all day for a Marathon Baking session and never felt constricted or had a pinched head after 8 hours of listening to tunes and my audio-books.

I like that the ear pads completely cover my ears, making them super comfortable to wear for hours. The ear pads also pull down from the headband so you can customize it to your head's dimensions.

This is the first time that I've encountered headphones with controls on BOTH sides of the ear pads: one side has power and volume up and down; the other side is pause/fast-forward/and back. I don't use headphones to make phone calls so I have no idea which side controls that feature.

I usually have no problem sharing my headphones when my kids and grandkids come over for a visit. THESE, however, are going in a drawer to be shared with NO ONE....Granny's gotta have her own headphones for once! I'm delighted with every aspect of these superior sounding and looking headphones. I simply LOVE-LOVE-LOVE them! <3

*I received a complimentary pair for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zhenhui Fashion Statement Bling Oval Glass Beads Choker Chunky Chain Bib Necklace Stud Earrings Luxury Jewelry Sets (Grey)
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Is Too Short To Wear Boring Jewelry!, February 11, 2016
This necklace is NOT for the Timid, which is a character trait that I've never been accused of being. LOL

When I saw that Zhenhui was offering this necklace in a Hematite-like stone, I ordered it instantly. The other colours, though stunning, are either too bridal or too very.special.occasion. to be worn every day (at least by me); the more subtle Silvery-Grey of the Hematite allows a Fashionista a bit more wiggle room in pulling this off for daytime wear.

The piece arrived on a black cardboard card with the Zhenhui logo at top, and the cardboard inside of a large plastic storage bag which also had the Zhenui logo on it. Once you take the cardboard out of the bag, you find that the necklace has been securely taped to the back and was easy to remove.

Almost hidden amidst the choker are the single stone post earrings with a very sturdy back attached to each one.

There is an adjustable chain which allows you to wear this piece as a true choker or as a bib necklace. I have a short neck so I need all the length possible and wear it as a bib. Although this is NOT an overly heavy piece, I find that trying to fasten it with the weight in front is very difficult. I solved that problem by having the bib on the back of my neck, easily seeing and fastening the lobster clasp and then I'd easily rotate it to the front. To remove the necklace, I just did the same trick.

You can wear this necklace either tucked into a neckline or displayed as a work of art on the top of your clothing. It pairs greatly with plain or pattered tops. And the real bonus are the single stoned earrings: you can wear those to work and then add this necklace for a nice outing at dinner time.

It's very easy to forget when you see something of beauty like this necklace, is that a REAL PERSON designed this and REAL PEOPLE put it together! The craftsmanship is flawless: not a skipped link, sloppy mounting of the stones or shoddy workmanship. It was put together with care and love, which I remind myself of that fact each time I wear a spectacular piece like this necklace.

*I received a complimentary necklace for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zhenhui Fashion Unique Design Vintage Lace Hollow Half-Circle Filigree Stretch Bracelet Adjustable for Women (Red)
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Over The Moon In Love With This Bracelet !, February 11, 2016
I am SO happy that there is a current trend featuring Rose Gold Jewelry. I've been in LUST with Rose Gold Jewelry my entire life, since I got to play with my Gran and Mum's jewelry which featured quite a bit of those coloured pieces. I feel that the colour is extremely complimentary to women's skin tones and is sparkly and glamorous without being ostentatious. I own both gold and white gold jewelry and there are too many times that wearing those pieces seems inappropriate for the occasion. I've never had that feeling with Rose Gold jewelry.

THIS bracelet is listed under "RED"; it's really Rose Gold or Pale Copper in tone. I have a very large wrist for a woman (7 3/8") and this bracelet is a flawless fit! I truly appreciate the larger size, so "Thank You, Zhenhui!" There are two elastic bands that hold the piece together and the mechanics are carefully hidden: you do NOT see any end or beginning to the design.

I love that this piece can be worn any time of the day: I can wear it with jeans and a t-shirt to get groceries; a ladies luncheon or a nice dinner with my beloved husband. It's distinctive enough to garner attention and compliments but it's not so over-the-top that it looks out of place except The Red Carpet.

The design is a series of back-to-back Crescent moons done in an open-work filigree pattern. There isn't a sharp corner or burr anywhere on the piece so it can't snag on your clothing. Because of my large wrist size, this bracelet stays PUT; if you are a more petite woman, it might slide a bit, which has never bothered me about bracelets. Also, because of it's flat design, you can easily type away on your laptop without it getting in your way.

The piece comes shipped in a plain ol' plastic bag with the Zhenhui name upon it, so you'll need to find a box or velveteen bag for gift giving.

I'm more than happy to add this unusual and stunning bracelet to my permanent jewelry collection. :D

*I received a sample bracelet for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

Silicone Molds for Star Wars Lovers By Vibrant Kitchen Ice Cube Trays and Candy Molds for Baking and Cool Drinks (Set of 7)
Offered by Vibrant Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars The Force Is STRONG With These Fun Molds!, February 11, 2016
We are a Three Generation Strong Star Wars Family: Us, the grandparents, who were kidlets when it first came out; our grown up children who had regular doses of All Things Star Wars growing up; and now our beloved grandchildren: 2 boys and a wee lass.

We eschewed the Midnight showing of the latest movie, only because of the young age of our grandchildren, but we sure were first in line for the first normal hour showing of 10:00 am the following day! So, it was an absolute No Brainer to accept the kind offer from Vibrant Kitchen to out these Star Wars themed silicone molds.

I'm an Old Pro regarding Silicone in the kitchen: I was a very Early Adopter of silicone baking pans, baking mats and pastry brushes. In regards to what I've owned, THESE molds are A+: sturdy, NOT flimsy in the least, very highly detailed. Each character's tray came individually wrapped, which as others have mentioned, makes them lovely for giving away but WHO wants to give this away once you receive it???? The set includes :R2D2 (2 sizes); Han Solo trapped in carbonite; Darth Vader's head; Boba Fett and Mand'alor; the X-Wing fighters; the Storm Trooper head; and the always amazing Millennium Falcon.

Just for the sake of this review, I decided to make the simplest item I could, which was ice cubes. I chose the smallest mold: the X-wing, and one of the larger molds, the Millennium Falcon. To make it super easy, once filled, I stuck the trays onto a larger serving tray and slid it into my deep freeze shelf. Two hours later, they were frozen solid.

Removing the ice cubes was VERY EASY as they were of such high quality. It was easy as could be to gently remove the X-Wings and the Falcon popped right out! Now, just for honesty's sake: the ice came out cloudy and all the details of the characters was obscured but my grand-kids could care less and were chuffed that they had STAR WARS!!! ice cubes in their juice! LOL (I love that kids are so nonjudgmental!)

Today, I plan on making Jell-O pops in them. For those that have never used silicone molds for Jell-O, here's some tips:

Put a sink topper in a sink to close the drain.

Fill the sink with two inches of hot water.

Hold the bottom of the silicone tray containing the Jell-O in the water for 20 seconds. Do not completely submerge the tray. (smaller items may take far less time than 20 seconds!)

Turn the silicone tray upside down over a plate. The JELL-O will slide out onto the plate.

I plan on using these trays each and every time my grand-kids visit and if the adult kids are "good", they'll get to enjoy them, too. :D

*I received a complimentary set of these molds for an honest review.*
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2016 6:06 AM PST

Exkokoro(TM)WaterCube Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Subwoofer with Powerful Bass,Replacement Battery/Micro SD Slot/MIC/USB Slot/AUX,Support Hands-free Calls/FM Radio/MP3 Format Play(Red)
Offered by Exkokoro
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Speaker For Your First Bluetooth Adventure, February 10, 2016
The little speaker arrived in a box with every instruction that you need ON THE BOX, so don't toss it if you need further references! The enclosed pamphlet is in Chinese, only. Once the box was opened, the speaker was wrapped in a clear plastic bag with the USB charging cable in a designated area to the right. the instructions were underneath the speaker.

It paired instantly with my laptop under the name "X3". There is a handy Voice Prompt for all the selections and it would state "Bluetooth Mote" (note the "t", not "d"); "FM Mote", "Aux", etc. There are four buttons on top that allow you to skip forward, backward, pause and switch between Bluetooth mode and FM radio. I couldn't get the FM radio to pick up any signals in my area.

I love the Tomato Soup colour of this little speaker and the small footprint. I never crank a speaker up to MAX as that's just not how I listen to music so I noticed no distortion. It's light on the bass side and that's just the way I like it.

For the low price point that this is offered, it's a great introductory level speaker.

*I received a complimentary unit for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

Best Manual Can Opener By Mello-With Ergonomic, Soft Handle-High Quality, Durable Wheel for a Smooth, Extra Safe Side Cut-Professional Kitchen Accessory with Precise & Sharp Cutter for Fast Lid Lift
Offered by Mello.Kits
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Zips Through Lids Like A Ninja's Kanta!, February 10, 2016
We're all familiar with that old standby can opener that our Gran's or Mum's had in their kitchen drawer: Swing-A-Way 407BK Portable Can Opener, Black. A classic to be sure, it opened cans faithfully for decades. But, it left sharp edges on the lid and can itself, the metal handle was difficult to operate for someone with hand/wrist pain, and trying to "nail" the two handles in that perfect unison on top of the can to be opened was sometimes difficult.

The Mello Can Opener eliminates ALL of that! It arrived in a plain white box with no instructions. There was a 10 second learning curve for my initial use because to operate it, you need to position the cutting blade at an angle to the can vs. straight on like the Swing-A-Way has you do for operation. Once I got past that bit of knowledge, I began to turn the handle. To MY mind, NOTHING was happening as I turned-turned-turned that handle, for the operation is as silent as a Mission Impossible caper. Imagine my utter surprise when I had made a pass along the entire can (in stealth mode) and the lid *popped* right off of the can! This can opener is S.I.L.E.N.T.-- you won't be hearing that grinding/cranking noise that you've experienced from your Granny's can opener. If you have cats or dogs at home that come-a-runnin' when they hear you cranking away at their wet food can, you'll be able to be as stealthy as a Ninja in opening the can....until the smell travels through the air, of course. LOL

I very carefully ran my finger tip over both the lid edges and the cans edges: SMOOTH AS SILK! Not a burr or rough edge anywhere! It just so happened that the day this opener arrived, I was making one of my family's favourite casseroles that requires A LOT of opened cans so I was able to give this company's opener a thorough trial.

NOTE: I was ready to donate my old Swing-A-Way after I opened up a bunch of cans that required no draining. HOWEVER, I didn't realize how much I rely on an ATTACHED LID to facilitate draining tomatoes/sauerkraut/chilies, etc. So, if at least half of the canned goods you open up require draining and you don't want to haul out our colander and multiple bowls to drain and dump the contents of the can, I highly suggest that you hang onto BOTH openers. This opener is perfect for pet food, condensed soups and all canned goods that do NOT require draining.

*I received a complimentary opener for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

GJT®HBS-902 Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.0 Headsets Headphones Flex Neck Strap EarBuds Lightweight Noise Cancelling Earphones for iPhone,Samsung,Android Cellphones Enabled Bluetooth Device(GOLD)
Offered by GJT INTERNATIONAL
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It Looks Like It Belongs on a Star Trek Show, February 9, 2016
I judge tech things on one simple criteria: "How simple is it to set-up WITHOUT reading the instructions?" This headphone gets 10 stars for my NEVER needing to refer to the manual expect to comment upon them for this review. Now, THAT'S a well-designed piece of tech: someone had their thinking hat on straight in where power ports were, volume controls, power switch, etc.

The actual box for the headset is perfunctory: don't expect any extra bucks spent on *sizzle*. (I'm cool with that). Inside, the headphones came in a small plastic bag with the USB charging cable, and the Bare-Bones pamphlet/manual.

As I mentioned earlier, set up was a *snap*. Found the power port, charged it for 2 hours when I got the Blue Light to "go". While it was charging, I found the volume buttons and power button. Paired it to my Samsung MP3 player and Kindle Fire with ZERO problems; didn't need a code or any other problem. Because I was wearing the MP3 player in my coat pocket, there was no 33 foot gap so the music came on strong and sure. No skipping.I love the fact that the ear buds hold fast into the alcove indented into the collar by magnets; they are easy to remove to insert into your ear but do NOT come lose on their own. I wish that some additional sized ear cases came with the set so people like me with small ear openings could switch them out.

I work outdoors for a living and in the Winter, a sturdy hat is a necessity. With the ear buds on such a short tether, there's nothing to catch when I'm working, which is a problem with corded headphones. These stayed in place for a solid 6 hours of decorating a client's home for Christmas and on other days when we've been doing cleanups that require me to do every yoga position possible. Most of the time, I forgot I was even wearing them until I was tapped on my shoulder by a co-worker.

The price is absolutely affordable. The look is pure Sci-Fi Glam. The sound is PERFECT for my needs. All in all, the GJT-HBS-902 stereo headphones ticked off every need I could have in an affordable, nice looking headphone that ran on Bluetooth. And I love! the gold-tone colour which adds some subtle glamour to normally boring headphones. :D

*I received a complimentary pair of these headphones for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

Qianse White Gold Plated Jewelry Sets Made with Purple SWAROVSKI Elements Crystal
Offered by QIANSE JEWELRY DIRECT
Price: $103.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Abstract Brilliance, February 9, 2016
"Hi. I'm Pie Grrrl and I'm a Jewelry-holic."

~phew~ Now that my secret is out, I can review this stunning set of jewelry. And stunning it is: you will NOT find anything this unique at your local mall! The gems are an abstract light lilac crystal; by being abstract with so many different angles, every time that you turn your head...they catch the light and sparkle like mad.

The set arrives in a handsomely designed box and individually wrapped to the max: each earring has it's own bag and the necklace came in two bags: one that specifically covered the gem pendant and one that contained the entire chain + pendant. There was NO WAY that this set could arrive tangled! I highly suggest TWO things if you are giving this as a gift: 1) Unwrap everything and attach the necklace and earrings to the velveteen display card for maximum effect and 2) go to a craft store or order these ear nuts on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UI3TG7C?keywords=plastic%20ear%20nuts&qid=1455057243&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1. There is no security to the French Wires and you wouldn't want to loose one of those irreplaceable earrings! Simply place one on the back of each wire and you're good to go!

I always am on the lookout for jewelry that goes from Day to Night and this set does just that. The earrings gain their drama from their cut; the mounting is simply the silver French-style ear hook. The pendant's bale has pave set stones for some extra glimmer but I turn it around for daytime; the back of the bale is just plain silver so it's a more subtle look.For evening drama, I flip it around to display the stones in the bale. The chain is sturdy and has a lobster catch, making it simple to catch and hold.

I've worn this set with a simple t-shirt and jeans to run to the post office and I've worn it with a black sequined jacket and white silk top for dinner. In both applications, they fit in flawlessly with the setting and I happily accepted all compliments on their design and uniqueness. :D

*I received a complimentary set for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

BUREI Men's SM-13002-P3 Stainless Steel Date Quartz Watch with Blue and Red Nylon Strap
Offered by BUREI Watch
Price: $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est magnifique, February 9, 2016
As other reviewers have stated, you can read this watch as so many salutes to various countries that have the colours white/blue/and red in their flags, from the Good Ol' U.S. of A, to the U.K. and of course, France. Any way that you choose to enjoy this great Summer-Time Watch, it will be a real stand out from other watches.

Following in the current trend that's been popular for at least 2-3 years, the dial is MASSIVE: without the stem it's 1.75 inches across. With the bold white dial and crisp stainless steel hands and markings, if the gentleman in your life can't read THIS, nothing shy of Big Ben will help that chap know the time! You can even read the date on this dial because of it's size, which is a nice option, for a change. Usually, dials are so small that the date is unreadable. The watch face was shrink wrapped in plastic which only comes off with scissors; we use curved manicure scissors so that there's nay chance of scratching the metal.

The band is extremely comfortable and feather-light in weight; when my husband put it on, he said, "I don't feel like I'm wearing a watch at all." Made of fabric in a Seersucker-like fabric, this is THEE consummate Summer watch; I don't think it would look quite as charming in the dead of Winter. But, on a hot Summer evening at a Jazz Festival, against a nicely tanned skin...yummy! :D

I do want to mention the fastening of the strap: my wrist is HUGE for a woman (7 3/8") which comes close to some men's wrist sizes. My husband's measures 7.5" in diameter. Normally, on even the cheapest of watches, the "catch" that holds and secures the strap once it's buckled is movable, or there are two "catches" to hold the excess strap. I intentionally took a front photo and a back photo of the "Bunny Ear Effect" of the excess strap material standing up at salute and creating a pretty serious snagging feature.

I tried to find a way to "fix" this, either by moving the 'catch band' (it is sewn in place) or bending the strap underneath the catch band (it won't fit when doubled up). So, be forewarned: unless your man has a very large wrist, he'll inherit Bunny Ears on the strap end. This could be easily remedied if the catch band moved or was larger. I waffled back and forth as to give this watch a 4 or 5 star review; I finally settled upon a 5 star review because a man who has a large wrist won't experience any problem with excess strap material.

Other than that glitch, the watch is C'est magnifique. As all BUREI watches I own, it comes in a magnificent gift box, nestled on a cushion. Also, in the shipping box, you received a handsome chocolate coloured gift bag to place the watch box inside and also a hair clip for the "gal in his life." What a thoughtful and delightful touch. :D

Thoughtfully designed, great time keepers, uniquely different and a handsome gift box and bag, make BUREI watches the "Go To Gift" for anyone, of any age.

*I received a complimentary copy of this watch for an honest review.*
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zhenhui Fashion Jewelry Bridal Rhinestone Stretch Bracelet Wedding Prom Dress Accessories 4 Colors Adjustable (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle & Sexy Bling For Small Wrists, February 6, 2016
There have been two "constants" in my life that bring me joy: Scented items and JEWELRY! Because I've been buying jewelry for over 60+ years, I've amassed a fantastic collection and now only add pieces that are unique and eye catching. THIS bracelet is all of the above and even more!

Honestly, I've never seen anything like this: gorgeous Rose Gold metal mountings (so on trend this year) which showcase highly faceted black"diamonds" (which have been popular for several years.) I really wanted a piece of jewelry that was a STAND OUT without being "Fakey-Fakey Bling-A-Paloosa" and this piece delivers. The Rose Gold colour melts into your skin and looks expensive but subtle. The black 'diamonds' catch the light in both bright and dark rooms and add understated glamour to your wrist. Unlike the options for more traditional stones like the clear "diamond" or other coloured stones, the BLACK stones make this piece suitable for either upscale or downscale wearing. It pairs beautifully with jeans and a nice white t-shirt or for wearing with your favourite Little Black Dress. There are NO sharp points or areas to snag clothing.

Now, here's the SAD FACE part of this review: If you are a naturally Big Boned Gal, you will NOT be able to wear this bracelet!!! (insert VERY Sad-Faced emoji HERE). This is a "One Size Fits Some" bracelet with absolutely no wiggle room or adjustments for larger wrist sizes. I measured the circumference of the bracelet and it's 7 1/8 inches in diameter. MY wrist measures 7 3/8 inches in diameter. Please look at my photo of this bracelet on my wrist and you can see the "Muffin Top" of my wrist 'poofing' out of both sides of the bracelet. I tried and tried to wear this bracelet for longer than 30 minutes but it was just too tight for my wrist and began to actually cause me pain. With a broken heart, I gave this bracelet to my adult daughter who has a much smaller bone structure than her Mum and she LOVES it! There was even room around the bracelet when she wore it.

Also of note: this bracelet arrives in a plastic bag so if presentation is important to you for the purposes of gifting, you'll need to get a box or velveteen pouch to make this a bit more special.

If the manufacturer, Zhenhui, reads these reviews, I BEG THEM to make this style of bracelet available in TWO SIZES: the current size, which I would label as SMALL/MEDIUM and a LARGE, for us larger sized women. It would be super easy for Zhenhui to do this since it would mean only adding 4-5 more rows of the gems. I would proudly wear this bracelet for so many occasions if it was only a bit larger.

This is a Stunningly Original piece of jewelry in the Black Colour and I only hope/pray/wish that it came in a larger size to accommodate us larger women. NO POINTS were deducted from my review because the size issue is MY problem, not Zhenhui's.

*I received a complimentary bracelet for an honest review.*

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20