Profile for Pie Grrrl > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 680

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pie Grrrl RSS Feed (MidWest)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal
Metrokane 6167 Rabbit Velvet Champagne Opener Set, Metal
Price: $29.62
3 used & new from $21.80

5.0 out of 5 stars *POP* Star!, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've heard tell that as you age, your tastes change. Children that hated strawberries devour them with abandon in their 20's. Conversely, older folks that enjoyed certain foods just plain lose their taste for their excessive saltiness/sweetness/or texture. So it has been with me and wine/beer: over the past 10 years, with NO change in my diet or any medicine involved, I've just lost the pleasure of drinking wine and beer, so the last GREAT PLEASURE that I have is champagne. Without sounding like a lush, I could drink it Morning/Noon/ and Night, I enjoy the flavour and sensation of the bubbles that much. But, as a responsible adult, I limit my love of champagne to a glass at dinner or a glass for brunch.

However, my dear husband does NOT share my passion for champagne and it becomes frustratingly expensive to toss out 1/2 full bottles of flat and icky tasting champagne that wasn't sealed properly to keep the *pop* in the liquid. I've also struggled many a time with opening those buggers, resorting to much swearing and fist shaking when some of the corks positively REFUSE to budge from the bottle...especially the modern plastic 'corks'.

Now, with this stunningly designed and effective Champagne Opener Set, I have complete ease in opening up the most stubborn of bottles AND, keeping those blessed bubbles IN the bottle, enabling me to enjoy the last drop of champagne at dinner or brunch.

This set would make a much appreciated gift for yourself or anyone that you know who loves sparkling wines. The box it comes in is ever-so-slightly bigger than a box with twin bars of soap. The weight of the entire box is SUBSTANTIAL...the pliers alone instill instantaneous confidence that they can release the most recalcitrant of corks from a bottle! I was so pleasantly surprised when I first used it on a plastic cork bottle of sparkling wine; no longer are plastic corks my nemesis! The pliers are so beautiful, that there is no need to hide them in a drawer if you have a dedicated bar area: the outside of the pliers is a gorgeous brushed chrome, with the interior surface of the pliers shiny chrome. They have a very wide base that allows for standing upright to appreciate the design element and contrasting textures.

The stopper is like none that I've ever seen or used. I've previously tried clamp-style champagne savers but I found they only fit 50% of the bottle openings, meaning that either the gases escaped or it prevented you from laying the bottle on it's side in the fridge. Rivaling the pliers for heft, the VERY LARGE stopper has a large head with a screw-like interior, and then a swing-down clamp that fits against the bottle. Wow! It really, really seals your *bubbly* very well; a 5 day old opened bottle of sparkling wine was so close to 'fresh' that I was hard pressed to detect any quality depreciation.

On a side note: I find the company name "Velvet Rabbit" perplexing, unless it's a nod to the children's book. There is NO velvet pouch and the pliers looks more like a silvery minnow than any part of a rabbits anatomy, including the ears. But, names aside, this is a flawlessly designed and executed champagne set that with an accompanying bottle of *bubbly*, would make a charming and memorable gift for some lucky person in your life. :D

Paper Things
Paper Things
by Jennifer Jacobson
Price: $13.45
57 used & new from $5.30

4.0 out of 5 stars What Doesn't Kill Us, Only Makes Us Stronger, April 20, 2015
This review is from: Paper Things (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The phrase that I used for the title of my review, "What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger," is the main theme of this struggling Coming of Age book. If you've ever watched any Law & Order: SVU or other crime shows, then you're very familiar with the 'sometimes plots' of homeless kids, drifting along on a prayer and a hope, with the intense desire to stay together as family. But, fortunately, unlike most of those cop shows, there IS a happy ending so you don't have to avoid reading this book.

Eleven year old Ari and her older brother, Gage, were well-written and empathetic characters. When I found that I was 'holding my breath' through some of the struggles they go through, I count that as a compelling read. The other characters in the story are also well developed, which pulls you in and keeps you involved to the end.

As some others have mentioned, however, this is not a Depression-Era story where kids could easily fly "under the radar." There are too many competent Adults involved in this story to have allowed the children to get this desperate and disheveled. I found it truly difficult to believe that NONE of their friends, teachers or even guardian questioned the children's decline and struggles; even in the 60's when I went to school, teachers gently questioned students who's performance and appearance radically changed.

But, aside from that quibble on my part, I did enjoy the plot, the writting, the characters and the positive resolution...with nary a vampire in sight! LOL

Dear Hank Williams
Dear Hank Williams
by Kimberly Willis Holt
Price: $12.51
40 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars To Sir, With Love, April 20, 2015
This review is from: Dear Hank Williams (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A charming book, told in an unorthodox manner of letters written to Hank Williams by a school child, Tate, as part of a pen-pal project assignment. I couldn't help but think of Scout from "To Kill A Mockingbird" and her moxy when I read this book. For young people who have no understanding of communism or pandemic racial profiling such as "White vs. Coloreds" areas, this is a great way to teach the reader how the world used to be, and hopefully how we have changed for the better. On a side note, I could easily identify with Tate, as we had the same project in our middle school and I had pen pals in Japan, Australia and Czechoslovakia for years past the assignment.

I don't believe in spoiling books in reviews, but it has a nice twist to the end that kept me interested until the last page.

Calvin Klein ETERNITY AQUA Eau de Parfum, 1 fl. oz.
Calvin Klein ETERNITY AQUA Eau de Parfum, 1 fl. oz.
Price: $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Breezy Warm Weather Scent, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since birth, I've been immersed in The Wonderful World of Scent: my Mum was an Avon lady 2 years before my birth and for many more decades afterward. As a wee girl, I used to anxiously await the delivery of her Avon boxes, which seemed like Christmas morning every week that they were delivered. It was a wonderful bonding time for the two of us as I helped her bag up the orders and also got a very personal and intense education into the incredible world of scents. Fast forward 5 decades and I still have the BEST memories of that time and also how my passion for fragrance has not diminished but only grown, through time.

If you are a Scent-A-Nista (twin sister to Fashionista), then you know there is NOT "One Scent To Rule Them All". What's appropriate in the depths of Winter with low humidity and pounds of clothing just doesn't work in high heat & humidity with spaghetti-strap sundresses. THIS fragrance is a Spring/Summer Scent: light, floral, breezy and non-clinging. With high notes of Jasmine and Gardenia, you feel incredibly "clean" and fresh when wearing this parfum.

The box matches the bottle: it's an aqua ombre, going from pale aqua to intense aqua on each item. If you are an old-fashioned lady like myself, and actually have a 'dressing table' where your perfumes are displayed as art and also for easy access, THIS bottle will be a stand-out in regards to colour and design: it looks to be crafted out of the highest quality lead-crystal, catching a sunbeam and sending rainbows across your bedroom wall.

This is NOT a long-lasting scent so if you are going to be Out & About for an entire day, take the bottle with you and refresh the scent as needed. It can make it through a nice dinner but I found that I had to apply it 2-3 times a day when I was gone from home for 12 hours or more. But, that's the way that Summer fragrances work, as opposed to the heavier Oriental perfumes used in Winter.

Gorgeous bottle and packaging, nice unobtrusive scent...this would be a perfect gift for yourself or anyone else that loves floral notes.

InterDesign Classico Roll Stand Plus, Satin
InterDesign Classico Roll Stand Plus, Satin
Price: $20.21
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Standing Ovation! *clap-clap-clap*, April 16, 2015
It's amazing how something as simple as NO TOILET PAPER ON THE SPINDLE at 3:00 am can lead to an alright W.A.R. in your home! Yet despite the sign above the spindle: "Please Don't Leave An Empty Toilet Paper Roll!" or the fact that the linen closet is 3 feet from the spindle, my husband and I were chronically finding an utterly empty and useless cardboard tube on the toilet paper spindle in our loo...courtesy of our visiting adult kids.

So, I ordered THIS stand in brushed satin finish and Peace Now Reigns in our household, again. It's as sturdy as can be, I've found that FOUR rolls of toilet paper will fit in the holder with the 5th roll on the horizontal spindle. The design is classy yet unobtrusive, and we couldn't be more delighted with this highly affordable yet functional Peace-Keeper.

Dead Spots (A Scarlett Bernard Novel Book 1)
Dead Spots (A Scarlett Bernard Novel Book 1)
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars ~groan~ Yet Another Damaged Chick Novel, April 16, 2015
It was less than 5 minutes after reading Melissa Olson's "Boundary Crossed" that I downloaded "Dead Spots"...THAT'S how impressed with the writing and character development of Melissa's latest book.

Ugh! What I got was just one.more.damaged.chick.novel. Ugh, again. If you read any of this genre, you know what I'm talking about: Highly intelligent but utterly emotionally damaged supernatural chick; broods endlessly; into meaningless sex and drugs/alcohol or both; puts herself in endless scenarios of danger because "Of Course!", she can't ask anyone for any friggin' help...ever!

Here are actual quotes from the character, Scarlett: "I get crabby when I'm clearly in the wrong." "Oh, come on. Stubborn and sullen are my frickin' trademarks." and "...this just goes to show you how deeply messed up I am." ~sigh~

Half way through the book, I wanted to scream at Scarlett in my best Cordelia Chase voice: ""Whatever is causing the Joan Collins 'tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.'Cause pretty soon you're not even gonna have the loser friends you've got now."

By the way, the quote references Cordelia's 'get your head out of your a**' speech to an angry and uncharacteristically cruel Buffy as she tries to recover from her death at the hands of the Master and subsequent revival. Buffy's attitude problem stems from fear and anger over what happened, and she is alienating everyone around her--friends, family, and Watcher, as she tries unsuccessfully to cope.

Scarlett is nothing but a Cookie Cutter of every Damaged Chick out there: Both parents mysteriously killed (aren't they always?!); intentionally estranged from the few family members they have remaining; gets into one night stands and when the ALWAYS hunky, handsome and mysterious man(men) fall in love with her, she does everything possible to be campaigning for bitch-of-the-year; can't cook or clean because of course, that's TOO healthy or feminine or weak or whatever; puts herself into dangerous situations because asking for help from someone that cares for you is the surest sign of being a wuss; refuses to wear ANY clothing that a "homeless person" wouldn't feel comfortable in; and the ALWAYS present bad temper, bad mood, snarky attitude and can't back down from a fight.

Honestly, if I had not read "Boundary Crossed" first, I would NEVER have read any additional works by Melissa Olson. However, I'm hoping that it was the distance of 3 years between the published books and her gaining experience with writing that has created the Black Hat/White Hat difference between Scarlett and Allison.

This book is the 1st in a series of three. I will NOT be downloading ANY more of this series because I couldn't care a flip about Scarlett and her nasty 'tude. I didn't resonate with a single character except for the very young girl who has the same talent (or curse) that Scarlett has, and frankly, I'm at peace with not finding out what happens to any of them.

*On a side note, there was one amusing sentence in this book that had me laughing out loud, unintentionally: "Mrs. Tanger wore a pale-pink J. Crew sweater set and an actual pearl necklace on top of dark tailored pants." EXCUSE ME????, you say that Mrs. Tanger wore pearls on TOP of her pants?!? LOL I had to read the sentence through three times to get past the hiccup of the poor wording; it could have been written: "Mrs. Tanger wore an actual pearl necklace on top of her pale-pink J.Crew sweater set with dark tailored pants completing her look." It was right after this sentence that Scarlett says, "I tugged self-consciously at my dark-green hoodie There were bleach stains on my jeans. I'd been going for 'college student', but now I just felt like a homeless person.

So, now, I just have to wait for the 2nd novel in the "Boundary Crossed" series and be happy with Melissa's evolution in her writing.

Jackson Safety 25674 V50 Calico Polycarbonate Anti Fog Safety Eyewear, Amber
Jackson Safety 25674 V50 Calico Polycarbonate Anti Fog Safety Eyewear, Amber
Price: $18.68
2 used & new from $7.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Spy With My Protected Eyes!, April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own a landscape company but don't sit in a truck wearing a white shirt and bossing my employees around: I actually DO WORK, right along with them. Among the hard and fast rules that I have is: You MUST wear Safety Glasses on the job site!!! After 25 years in business, I've seen every true accident (and screw up) that can happen in regards to Nature throwing a curve ball (or stick, twig, rock, etc.) at your eyes and I'm not about to have one of my valued employees end up blinded by debris. I personally learned the hard way by having concrete dust scratch my cornea and requiring a bandaged eye for 2 months and a twig almost ripping my eye lid off when I was blowing out a garden that safety glasses are a MUST!

The Jackson Safety 25674 V50 Calico Polycarbonate Anti-Fog glasses are a God Send. I love the sharp detail that the amber lens provides on a misty, cloudy, foggy day, of which we have SO many of them by Lake Michigan. Even after 2 hours of hard-core cardio work in blowing out gardens and sawing limbs from trees, THEY DO NOT FOG OR TRAP SWEAT! For my head size, it's a true fit and despite the fact that half of my day is spent "arse over teakettle" when I'm bent over planting annuals or picking up leaves, the glasses stayed put.

I plan on recommending these glasses to all of my crew!

Madd Capp Checkers Dog Lovers Edition
Madd Capp Checkers Dog Lovers Edition
Price: $19.99
13 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Let The Dogs Out? Woof-Woof-Woof!!!, April 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My God Child is a bit too young to learn to play chess (age 4) but checkers are right within her wheel-house of beginning to learn strategy and advance planning concepts. Our house-hold is a HUGE board game playing house so this Madd Capp Checkers Game is perfect to introduce her to those concepts and also to carry forth her LOVE for doggies. :D

As others have mentioned, you can play this game as just standard checkers but the *popper* which tumbles the dice adds an extra fun element. The playing pieces, fashioned as dog bowls in tan and red, are a cute and fanciful way to introduce the dog-theme, as are the 'crowning' pieces of the foam rubber bones. I do take exception to the flimsiness of the foam bones and feel the manufacturer could have made these out of hard plastic, too; after all, hard plastic bones have been around since the early 60's withe the game "Operation". After several games played, with the bones beginning to bend and look nasty from little fingers, I was lucky enough to find at a craft store, little teeny-tiny Scotty Dogs (meant to go on top of cupcakes) which fit handsomely in the little bowls so we've switched to that option. Not only are they washable but also it really carries the 'dog' theme further than the original game pieces.

Checkers is an easy game to learn and advance playing can be learned as the players progress. Right now, we're just thrilled that our god-child isn't EATING the pieces and is learning how to move across the board and how to crown players.

Cute, fun, inventive design with the dice *popper* adding that little extra dimension of coolness. :D

Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic Book 1)
Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If Buffy Married Agent Coulson..., April 8, 2015
...then their child would possibly be US Army Sergeant Allison "Lex" Luther, the protagonist of this first book in a series. Tough yet vulnerable, ordinary yet extraordinary, and with a "killer" sense of timing for on-target dry humour that had me laughing at just the right moments throughout the book. If you LOVE the fast action pace and wry humour of BtVS, Agents of Shield, and The Flash, then you should LOVE this book!

I must say, "Thank Goodness that I did NOT read the Book Synopsis" because it is LACED with massive spoilers, which would have taken away 3/4's of the surprise and drama in this book. Why I mention this fact is that Melissa Olson created some HIGHLY UNUSUAL paranormal beings in the Witch World and had I read the spoilers, the "Holy Cow!" moments would have been completely lost for me. Over 50% of the books I choose to read are about Magic/Magical Beings, so for me to be surprised and delighted in NEW entries into that world is a real treat! That's not to say that some author whom I have NOT read hasn't created these same beings in other books; but they were new to ME and I delighted in their discovery. (A special 'Shout Out' to JZS, who wrote an excellent review of this book, prompting me to immediately download it. THANKS, JZS!)

I only have time to read fun books when I crawl into bed at night; all other time is dedicated to my company and all reading is work related when I'm sitting upright. So, because I'm exhausted and have only so much brain power left, I usually only get 10-20 minutes of time with a good book before I fall asleep from exhaustion. NOT this dang book!!! The plot and characters cast an 'Anti-Sleeping Spell' upon me and I was compelled to read until 2:30 am, knowing that I'd be waking up from the alarm in 3 hours time! THAT'S how much enjoyment I derived from this 1st book.

Regarding Allison/Lex/Lexy/Allie, I LOVED how she had seen combat in the U.S. Army and did NOT turn into a raging maniac/drug addict/drunk as a result. Yes, she came back with nightmares and PTSD but with the help of her very large extensive family and a "herd" of pets, she was healing as best as she could, coming from combat. So often in books where women are portrayed as strong, they are also portrayed as bitter, hard, dysfunctional,loners, sex addicts, and having some serious substance problems. Thank You, Melissa, for giving Lex a HUGE extended family, morals, no substance problems, no sex hi-jinx, and a deep love for family and country. I am beyond weary of the Anti-Hero that a sane person would NEVER have within their circle of friends.

There is some "crushin'" going on in the book, which is nice, but no Porn scenes (thank you very much!). There is mild swearing and a bit of written violence near the end toward a character that truly deserves the 1 second of harm done to them. I liked that when I thought the plot would zig one way, it zagged in a completely different direction. And I especially enjoyed that Lex did NOT need "saving" but could save herself in scary situations.

Now my main problem is waiting for the next book to come out in the series, but that's a problem I look forward to solving when it's released. :D

Werther's Original Soft Caramels, 4.51 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Werther's Original Soft Caramels, 4.51 Ounce (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Candy Classic :D, April 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My earliest memory of Werther's Caramels is over 6 decades ago. I gleefully had access to them in one of two ways: either politely asking for ONE from my Granma's covered crystal candy bowl, or my favourite way, begging for ONE caramel from the depth of my Gran's apron pocket, which always had both Brach's Peppermint lozenges and wrapped Werther's caramels. And the reason why I emphasized the quantity of ONE, is that my Gran, who raised me, taught me that "Polite little girls NEVER ask for more than ONE candy at a time!"

I don't know if it's a Scandinavian Thang or just my grandparent's thing but we never had chocolate in our farm house. In fact, when we would visit all the other farmers or relatives who were all Scandinavian, there was NEVER chocolate around the place: the preferred candies were licorice, peppermint and caramels. So, for me, the flavour of caramel IS my 'chocolate' and I crave that taste in my mouth like a Chocolate Fiend must crave their treat.

I suffer from hypoglycemia and must constantly monitor my blood sugar levels so I don't crash with levels lower than 65. Yes, I eat well and healthy and have a small cooler with me at the job sites filled with grapes, cherry tomatoes, and string cheese but EVERY DAY, my special treat is a couple of Wether's caramels, either the hard ones or the soft and chewy ones. I can immediately feel and sense an increase in brain wave activity after a long and hard 12 hour day on the job site and the caramel flavour brings me back to my childhood on the farm every time I enjoy one.

So often, when you have a company that's been in business as long as Wether's, that company will try to "improve" a classic food item, leading to a drop in sales and customer's leaving in droves. As all other reviewers have mentioned, this classic candy tastes the SAME as it has for over 60 years and I applaud Werther's for not screwing up such a simple pleasure.

I enjoy both the soft and hard versions of this treat, always keeping a bag of hard candies in my landscape truck to share with co-workers and even clients. What other tiny, simple and inexpensive item can you share with so many people and get a BIG smile in return?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20