Profile for Pie Grrrl > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 768

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pie Grrrl RSS Feed (MidWest)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sterling Silver Two-Tone African Amethyst and White Topaz Cluster Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $47.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pendant! Perfect Price!, July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What an unexpectedly wonderful surprise it was to receive this perfectly purple pendant this week! I am a huge fan of very discreet necklaces for wearing during my work hours and this pendant is right on the cusp of almost TOO glamorous to wear while landscaping. However, I couldn't resist slipping it on for my work day and I'm SO happy that I did: I received three compliments on it, from both men and women who remarked on the "sparkle" and "colour" of the pendant. :D And these glowing comments came from people that have NEVER made a comment on any of my jewelry, before this one.

Having read many reviews on this necklace prior to receiving it, I was expecting a hot mess of tangled chain to de-tangle before I could try it on. I guess I was one of the Lucky One's, as my double chain came in a split bag, with one side of the chain on one side of the channel and the other side in the other channel; it was a simple *snip* of the bag to place it around my neck.

Many reviewers have labeled the chain "dainty", which to my mind reads as "fragile/breakable". I also received a double chain with extender (unlike the photo of the necklace) but I have NO FEAR that this double chain will break or fail from an accidental snag on clothing. If it can stand up to being tugged and tugged upon from my work t-shirt at work, THAT is the test it needs to pass, in my life!

Having an extender to the necklace makes it a very easy "wear"; you're not stuck trying to find a top with a certain neck to feature the piece. And with the extender, you can slip the necklace over a turtle-neck sweater to extend the season of wearing it.

The colour of the amethyst is stunning: it's what colour comes to mind when you hear of that stone. The White Topaz are dazzling and are a wonderful contrast to the deep purple of the amethyst; the diamonds, which are on the slide are inconsequential and could have easily been deleted as they add nothing but bragging rights.

The price of this pendant has dropped by at least $10 since I first looked at it; at the current price, there is absolutely NO REASON why you should hesitate to buy this necklace for yourself or someone you love. Yesterday, in a related ad from Amazon, they featured matching earrings, which of course I had to snap up, to wear for more formal occasions.

It's been Hit or Miss for me, ordering jewelry online; 50% of the time, the actual item does NOT match the photos. In this case, the pendant EXCEEDS the photos and my expectations!

HMDX HX-P550BK Jam Touch Wireless Portable Speaker, Charcoal
HMDX HX-P550BK Jam Touch Wireless Portable Speaker, Charcoal
Offered by Accessory Net
Price: $49.99
6 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars JAM does it again!, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my 6th Jam speaker. I already own four of the HMDX Jam Plus Portable Speakers (Yellow) One-Pack and the HMDX JAM XT Extreme Wireless Speaker, HX-P430BK (Black). I love to use the Jam Plus in twins for outdoor parties and the Jam XT is my dedicated landscape speaker, because of it's extreme durability and carbineer that attaches to tree limbs or chain link fences.

So, being a HUGE fan of the Jam line, I wanted to see what was new in the wonderful world of Jam. This is a sweet little speaker. It appears, by just weighing it in my hand vs. a scale, that it's a bit more light weight than any of my other Jam speakers, and a wee bit smaller in height. A pleasant female voice tells you that the speaker is "pairing" and "turning off", and you can actually change the language from the default English with a small key that comes with the speaker. A small 9" USB cable comes with the device, coiled into the bottom of the clear display case.

Being able to adjust the volume INSTANTLY by the rotating ring near the base of the speaker is a real plus: you no longer have to push-push-push the + or - buttons on the other speakers. The "touch" comes into play on the very top of the speaker, with either a "rewind", "pause", or "skip to the next" selection. Honestly, this is a feature that I will hardly EVER use, so if you are like me and rarely, if EVER skip music selections, I'd buy a different Jam speaker. But, if you love to replay a particular song or need to pause your music A LOT, the touch feature is a distinct selling point for YOU. Personally, I wish Jam had used the touch feature for the volume control and pause, and had the rewind/skip feature stay manual, as it is on all their other speakers.

Compared to my other Jam speakers, the sound is definitely more treble than bass. Since I listen to jazz and blues 99.9% of the time, I like the more bass sound from my other Jam speakers. And "Yes", I have an equalizer app on all my devices but sometimes, you just don't want to fiddle around with all that stuff, you just want to listen to music.

In my earlier reviews of the HMDX Jam Plus Portable Speaker (Yellow) One-Pack from over a year ago, Jam has fixed a glitch that was commented upon by many owners: the speaker simply REFUSED to pair with more than one device!!! Finally, some tech wizard figured out all the hoops you had to jump through to pair to another device and several of us posted those instructions in our reviews. Thankfully, Jam has apparently fixed that issue on the other Jam speakers AND this device, because I paired it to three devices and it worked flawlessly!

Bottom line: if you want a smaller, lighter Jam speaker that can pair to many devices, you enjoy a more treble sound and you habitually pause, rewind and skip through your music selections, than THIS Jam speaker is the one for you! If you don't need those features, then I'd recommend the other two Jam speakers I referenced earlier in my review. :D

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Black)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Black)
Price: $69.00
13 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY did I wait SO long to gift myself one of these????, July 27, 2014
With over 11,322 reviews, does the Kindle Paperwhite REALLY need One.More.Review?

Well, why not?, I say!

For those of you who are older than 20 years old, you'll remember when if you wanted to make a phone call, you'd walk over to the landline, punch some buttons or stick your finger into a rotary dial, and stay PUT, talking on the phone. Then, if you wanted to check your mail, you'd either walk down the driveway to the post box or if home delivered, walk to your front door and check the mail...ONCE, per day.

Then, when you wanted to relax, you'd find a cozy corner, pick up your PAPER book, and settle in.

Fast forward to NOW: You sit down in a cozy spot to read from your 3.5 inch screen or 7" screen, when an email alert pops up. You stop reading and check your email. It's from Facebook, so of course, you MUST check out your BFF's latest Instagram shot of her latest grilled cheese find, and comment back to her.

Now, back to reading! But hold up! A TEXT message comes through from your husband: do you want Chinese or Mexican for dinner tonight? But it's only 9:30 am in the morning and you're STILL on your morning coffee!!! Who's thinking of dinner? Trying to fortune tell just what you'd like for dinner 8 hours from now, you text him back...Chinese.

Back to the home screen to read. You get a dedicated 4 minutes of reading time in when THREE Weather Alerts chime in from your three weather service apps. You glance out the window: it's clear skies with no wind. You check the weather reports; they are telling you that there's a "Small Craft Advisory." Okay, that's great, but you own NO "small crafts" to worry about.

You try to go back to reading but forgot what you had just read, half an hour ago. So, you start all over again when another email alert pops up. You give up reading for the day.

Sound familiar? THAT is why I bought a Kindle Paperwhite! I wanted to completely UNPLUG from the technology that we have so eagerly embraced: 6-10 email alerts per hour; chronic unnecessary texts; chronic unnecessary weather alerts and all the other senseless 'chatter' that smartphones and tablets subject us to on an hourly basis.

I just want to READ!!! I want to settle down, finish a chapter or two, maybe three, and that's that. No interference, no chiming alerts, nothing but blissful reading.

And the Paperwhite does that. The battery life is incredible, the size is fantastic for one-hand-reading, and as advertised, you can read it in blinding sunlight without using sunglasses or your hand to shade the screen. If you are a brand new Kindle owner like me and want to "cut to the quick" with an AMAZING CASE, check this one out! Fintie Folio Case for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and All-New Kindle Paperwhite (6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light) Book Style with Auto Sleep/Wake Feature - BlackIt's the ONLY one you'll need to own. :D

I'm SO happy that I finally got fed up with reading e-books on all my smart/tablet devices and just committed to buying a dedicated e-reader that provides you with nothing but uninterrupted reading. :D

Fintie Amazon Kindle Paperwhite SmartShell Case - The Thinnest and Lightest Leather Cover for Amazon All-New Kindle Paperwhite (Both 2012 and 2013 Versions with 6" Display and Built-in Light), Leopard Brown
Offered by Fintie
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Case CLOSED! The ONLY case for me! <3, July 26, 2014
Like many other Amazon-o-holics, I LOVE my cases! Both for my Kindle Fire but also my Samsung Galaxy Tablet, I must have 6 or more cases per device, as I fell In Love...and then OUT of Love with various cases I ordered for them. Even having read countless reviews, I'd find out after a month's worth of use that for MY needs, most of the cases just didn't work out. Either they were waaaaay too heavy, or bulky, or they dirtied too fast and consequently, looked shabby.

So, I was prepared to go the same ol' route with my new Kindle Paperwhite's case. However, I'm thrilled to state, "THIS case fulfills 100% of my needs!

1) First, the price! Officially sanctioned Amazon Kindle cases are pricey...really, really pricey! For the cost of ONE Amazon case, I can buy 2-3 of >these< cases. Score!

2) Beyond light-weight! I barely can detect ANY weight gain to my Paperwhite, making hours and hours of reading a pleasure. So many of my prior cases added at least 1/2 (if not more) of the weight of the device! That's fine if you're streaming videos and the case is resting on a flat surface, but I read on my side, holding the e-reader with my hand(s) so added weight really adds up.

3) The magnetic closure TRULY keeps the "case closed", as I mentioned above. There is absolutely NO NEED for a flap to keep this case closed on your Kindle, unless you have a Pack-Rat bag that you trundle about with you and all the assorted bits & pieces inside that bag joggle the case open.

4) AMAZING colour and pattern choice! Unlike so many of my Kindle Fire cases, which had only one or two colour/pattern choices that I could live with, I could very easily own 4-5 different colour/pattern choices of THIS cover! And knowing me, I will inevitably order a couple of more colours/patterns, just to change things up.

5) The fit is like a glove, with NO pokey-pokey tabs that bite into your hands and fingers! With most of my discarded cases, it's THAT fact that ultimately had me ditch them on ebay: they had hard plastic clips and tags that stood up along the edges, with no satisfactory way to hold them for any length of time.

6) Texture: I didn't know when I ordered this case that the TEXTURE of it would be so pleasant. Unless your fingers are covered with greasy barbeque sauce from ribs, there is NO WAY that you can drop your Kindle when inside of this case! The case's texture lines go East/West, so it provides substantial "grip" while you're reading, working WITH your finger pads and gravity, instead of against it.

I ordered the standard Leopard Print, which I adore for so many reasons: I'm crazy for animal prints and it also has the potential to camouflage ANY and all soil/scratches to the case. But, I know I'll be ordering a Lilac and Leather-Tooled case for switch outs, soon.

I'm grateful to the other 1,000's of Amazon reviewers for writing so well about this cover; if not for them, I'd be midway through my search for the BEST case for my new Paperwhite. As it is, the buck indeed stopped HERE. :D

Glad Press'n Seal Wrap, 3 Count
Glad Press'n Seal Wrap, 3 Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Seals as TIGHT as a Bass Drum Skin!, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been intrigued with this GLAD (tm) product since I heard about it, years and years ago. But, being a cautious and prudent consumer, I stuck with what I know: Wax Paper (I adore this!) and plain ol' cling film, by whatever company is on sale.

The waxed paper is always a stalwart performer for my needs but the cling film was usually a "Hit Or Miss" in regards to it doing ANYTHING that it was supposed to do, which was mainly to cover leftovers and keep them fresh. Some brands 'stuck', most just floated over the bowl/plate and stared back at me with a belligerent attitude. LOL

So, I was beyond delighted to try the GLAD Press'n Seal Wrap and see if it was "all that and a bag of chips."

And it is!!!! It arrived at my door at the perfect time: I had just completely lunch and had four bowls of food that needed to be stored and covered in the frig. I wouldn't normally read instructions on a food wrap box but...I did this time because if there was fault to find, I wanted it to be on my lack of follow through, and NOT the GLAD wrap.

Opening the box by tearing off the paper tab that protects the cutting edge, I was immediately intrigued with both the texture and nature of the wrap: it's semi-translucent and highly textured. And, on one side, it is slightly tacky, which is where the PRESS part comes into play. The instructions merely note to have a DRY edge, press the torn off sheet along the edge and VOILA!, it's supposed to stay in place.

And wonder upon wonders, it did and it does! I even tried it on a 'damp' edge that had been moistened by cut up watermelon and it did a good job of sealing that edge, too.

Leftovers are a constant in my fridge because I eat like a bird and pick at food throughout the day. Being able to rely on a covering for my food that doesn't fall off immediately and can seal and reseal the same item for days in a row is a real plus to my lifestyle.

I'm glad that GLAD got this ol' fuddy-duddy to try something !NEW! that is going to become a constant item in my pantry. It really, truly works and how often can you say that about most things, now adays?

CliC Adjustable Front Connect Reader, 1.25 Strength, Clear Frame
CliC Adjustable Front Connect Reader, 1.25 Strength, Clear Frame
Price: $25.38
6 used & new from $25.38

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can See Clearly, Now!, July 14, 2014
If you're anything like me, you buy the best and coolest items for friends and family BUT forget to order the same things for yourself!

So it was/is with these wicked cool glasses! My best friend and business partner used to lose his "cheaters" on average of 10 pairs per year! Left at job sites, clients, or they'd be sat upon or fall out of his truck, he never seemed to have a pair of glasses when he needed them. Only because he bought his cheaters at The Dollar Store, could he afford to continue to outfit himself with glasses; he learned early on that buying costly glasses didn't fit into his lifestyle.

So, several Christmas' ago, after seeing these glasses on a C.S.I. program, I did research online to even find out what they were called, and thought that THEY might be the solution to my friend's problem. I read tons of reviews, clandestinely called his wife to find out his prescription strength and ordered him a pair.

Two years after giving them to him, he STILL HAS THEM!!! He hooks the glassed onto his rear view mirror so they are never lost or sat upon and the clear frames look good against his light Irish skin. The real proof that he loved this gift was when I got a text, 2 years after the fact, thanking me profusely for "...getting me these silly glasses...".

It took my breaking my own pair of cheaters when I didn't securely put my pair away and they fell onto concrete, popping out the lens. I finally took my own advice, ordered a pair in clear and have been loving them this past month since arriving. Like my friend, I keep them hanging from my mirror so I always have instant access to them and they stay "high and dry" and away from all possibility of damage.

The weight is very light; the lens are crystal clear; and it's just Geek Chic to look like a C.S.I. character. :D I heartedly recommend this type of glasses for anyone that looses/breaks their glasses on a regular basis. Plus, they are a GREAT conversation starter, to boot!

3 Clear Plastic Foamer Bottle Pump Mini Travel Size Soap Dispenser Craft 50 ML
3 Clear Plastic Foamer Bottle Pump Mini Travel Size Soap Dispenser Craft 50 ML
Offered by AllTopBargains
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal!!!, July 14, 2014
One of my favourite phrases that guides me through life is: "You Only Know What You Know and DON'T Know What You Don't Know."

Why I started my review with this phrase is simple: If YOU work in a setting where you have regular access to a flush toilet, sink with Hot/Cold water, soap and towels, you think that EVERYONE has working conditions like yours.

However, those of us in the construction trade are often working at job sites where there is NO RUNNING WATER, no toilet and having access to a towel...ONLY if you bring your own! LOL

I run a landscape firm and it's a dirty job on the best of days; a filthy/toxic job on other days. At any given time, you have your hands on cow manure, dog poop, scraping out a fish pond, or picking up a dead rat. Yes!, this is the "glamorous life of a landscaper!" ~snort~

At the best of times, I have access to a client's bathroom but I'm so filthy that I'd resorted to bringing my own cloth towel to use and my own bar of soap, kept in a plastic container. The problems with the bar soap, however, are multiple: The container can open, covering the soap with whatever is in your truck bed; if you use it multiple times per day, the bar gets softer and gooier with each use; with multiple uses, the bar of soap never gets to dry out and just becomes a useless mess in a short while. Then, if any of your employees want to tidy up for lunch or going home and they beg to use it, well...ALL of the above factors come into play, again.

I had tried hauling around a normal sized bottle of liquid soap but they were usually too large to tuck into my cargo pants when I went into a building. And...the soap, with the smallest provocation, would either leak out of the pump or come out with an innocent joggle.

I saw these bottles at amazon and jumped at the chance to order them, thinking they would solve 100% of my problems. And guess what? THEY DO!!!

At a mere $3.00 bucks per bottle, that's cheaper than a Starbuck's coffee or 1/2 of a McDonald's meal! I use diluted liquid soap at home in a foam pump dispenser so it was very simple to just pour the premixed diluted soap into the dispenser and see if it worked. BOY, does it ever! The foam coming out is thick and rich; it does NOT drip or dribble once pushed and the two bonuses are the a) SIZE--small enough to discretely tuck into the smallest of pockets and b) it has a very secure dome cover that prevents any accidental knocks or bumps, triggering the soap to come out.

As the owner of my company, clients have no problem allowing me to use their bathroom but as to my employees, they are almost always asked to NOT come in. (poor guys). So, they can only clean up for lunch and home through the garden hose...if there IS one. I gave two of these bottles away to my two lead employees and you'd think I gave them winning lottery tickets! Now, every one of us can get clean for walking into a place to order our food, to eat our food, and go home looking as clean as we can.

I have 17 employees and plan on ordering many more of these sets to gift to each one of the guys, pre-filled, of course. I also plan on having a 'prepped' jug of diluted soap/water in my truck so that I can fill up their bottles when empty; honestly, it's just one more way of keeping my crew happy. By the way, the usual dilution rate on these foam pumps is 1:5--one part liquid soap to 5 parts water. That's why I mix it in advance, with distilled water, so I can easily fill my bottles without turning into a science lab each time they need to be filled.

Such a simple and inexpensive item can truly give a person a better quality of life and boost your spirit at the end of a hot and sweaty day. :D

Remington Products S8530 Anti Frizz Therapy Straightener, 2 Inch
Remington Products S8530 Anti Frizz Therapy Straightener, 2 Inch
Offered by ToysOnline
Price: $76.00
3 used & new from $67.50

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS will put your stylist out of business! :-o, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am one of those rare women who LOVES her hair! Thick, wavy, bordering upon curly, I wear it very short in a Meg Ryan cut; think When Harry Met Sally.

99% of the time, I like to wash it, towel dry it and that's that. But, for those special Date Night's with my beloved husband, I like to make an appointment with my stylist and have her "slick it down", City-Style. She's a Master with her ceramic straightener and I love the look of a very sleek/sophisticated 'bob' for those special occasions.

But, there are times my stylist is booked solid or I literally don't have the time for a quick appointment and NOW, I don't need to go there for that special treatment any longer.

I'm a novice butterfingers with these "girly" things and I found this straightener incredibly easy to use and understand. I wanted to try it on the lowest setting because I have highly coloured hair and the 350 setting has worked out well. Initially, it took me half an hour to fiddle with it and make sure I didn't leave scarring/burns on my face and neck but now, I've got the time down to 15 minutes.

Humidity does NOT bother my hair but this product is great to make my hair stick straight and sleek. I've not needed to try the locking mechanism; everything works fine on the 'dumbest setting' for me. The cost is high, but only if you don't factor in what it costs at your salon to have the same treatment done at $35.00...with NO shampoo! Having used it 4 times in the past month, I've more than covered the cost of it in saving salon visits, and the stress of trying to squeeze in an appointment at the last minute.

Great product, simple to use, built to last, especially if you only use it once a week or less. I'll probably need to add this to my will, for my two daughters to fight over when I've gone to the Big Salon In The Sky. LOL

Tomcat Super Hold Rat Size Glue Traps (Super Hold Formula, 2 Pack)
Tomcat Super Hold Rat Size Glue Traps (Super Hold Formula, 2 Pack)
Price: $8.78
2 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for voles or rats!, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I know, I know. We all want to live in a Walt Disney World where bluebirds flutter around us and mice help us become princesses. ~sigh~ But sadly, the real world is NOT like that! When you find mice gnawing into your Starbuck's whole bean coffee bag or eating MATCH STICKS in your pantry, it comes down to YOU vs. THEM and how much damage you will put up with happening in your home!

We live in an almost 100 year old house that used to be a grocery store in the 1920's. After 94 years of settling into the sand dune it was built upon, there are loads of mouse-sized cracks and crevices from the root cellar beneath us for the little buggers to make regular trips into our home. When you pull your Granny's perfectly seasoned frying pan from the oven, only to find it coated in mouse urine and turds, you'll do ANYTHING to stem the flow of rodents.

I use the regular Tomcat Glue traps for catching mice but those boards are way too limited for the nastiest of nasties: VOLES!!! We had a massive family of voles that chewed through our wood siding to get to our bird seed in the breezeway, and then chewed from the breezeway into our coat closet, setting up shop! Even our 4 cats wouldn't tangle with the voles, they are such violent Tasmanian Devil-like creatures!

I found that the Rat Traps were the ONLY glue boards that would hold the trashing and squealing force of the 1.5" voles, who could chew/tear right through a standard trap.

If you want/need to be very humane, as soon as I hear one being caught, I wrap the critter and board in soft paper towels, then into a plastic shopping bag, and then right into our garage deep freeze for the kindest method of extermination. Half an hour at 20 degrees puts them into a gentle forever sleep; it's the best compromise I can come up with in having a rodent-free home and being able to sleep at night from guilt.

Pinemeadow Golf Realtree Stand Bag
Pinemeadow Golf Realtree Stand Bag
Price: $80.99
2 used & new from $80.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you LOVE "Duck Dynasty", THIS is your bag!, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the hunter, outdoor enthusiast, or fan of Duck Dynasty and all the Roberson clan, you'll love the Real Tree pattern of camouflage of this bag.

It is a great beginner golfer's bag, both for the light weight and limited space for clubs. But, that shouldn't stop anyone who's new to golf or just plays a few holes from enjoying it.

The bag came well wrapped in plastic and the quality (for the price) will last you for years of light use. The stand is solid and true and when filled with five clubs, it held the bag sturdy. Five pockets for gear and a handy-dandy umbrella holder makes it nice for someone who's not just a Fair Weather golfer.

The extra wide shoulder straps make this comfortable to carry, especially if you're on a course that doesn't allow carts. And the camo-pattern? A real stand-out next to more conventional bags and a great way to start conversations while waiting for your next play.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20