ARRAY(0xa9674dc8)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 972

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pie Grrrl RSS Feed (MidWest)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dating After 50 For Dummies
Dating After 50 For Dummies
by Pepper Schwartz
Price: $15.13
68 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be a Dummy NOT to Read This if Dating After 50!, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been happily married to my beloved husband since 1970, which is 44 years ago this May. But, most of my friends, both male and female, haven't been as blessed and are struggling and floundering in this New Age Dating World of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Sexting. What To Do????

I ordered this book to not only provide love and support to my now single friends who are starved for a serious relationship but to also gain insight as to WHAT they were up against in this Brave New World we're living in.

I think one of the MOST important chapters of this book is "Determining Whether You're Ready For A Relationship". Whether you're suddenly single from a surprise divorce or the slow and awful loss of your partner from Alzheimer's or cancer, you may WISH to be with someone to fill up your new time, but are you really READY to !GIVE! the same fervor and love that you gave to your original relationship?

Once you've established that you're ready to give and love again, the chapters take you step by step along the garden path. You're taught How To Put Yourself Out There; Online Dating; Mastering The First Date; and the all important SEX chapter. Later, you're educated regarding health needs, which is certainly NOTHING that a Twenty-Something needs to think about but over 50, it's mandatory! And there's a wonderfully long chapter for same sex dating, too.

Easy to read, light weight enough to take to bed and small enough to stuff into a medium-sized bag, this one book can be the difference between "Table For One?" or "It Takes Two To Tango."

The Rumford Gardener Tuff-Guard Expanding Hose, 50-Feet
The Rumford Gardener Tuff-Guard Expanding Hose, 50-Feet
Price: $43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, in a Pinch!, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are certain "givens" for careers.

Baker's MUST have an oven.

Banker's MUST have a safe.

And Landscaper's MUST have access to a hose!

I've lost count of the amount of times that my worker's and I show up at a job site to install a patio or a planting, only to find out that the home owner doesn't own a hose or has a hose with more holes than a sieve! Oh, to have a hose on hand!!!!

But, as anyone knows who owns a hose, they are bulky, heavy and if you are transporting them in your vehicle, they take up a VAST amount of room! So, it was with great interest that I ordered THIS expandable hose, having seen them advertised on TV for years and on the snarkier side, seeing them lying in dirty coils in the trash cans in our alleys.

When I received the box, I was immediately impressed with the uber-light weight of "fifty feet of hose" and the teeny-tiny box it came packaged inside of. I was also impressed with the very heavy duty brass couplings, since the tossed away hoses I've seen ALL had cheap plastic couplings.

I read the instructions, had the gate valve OFF, slowly allowed the water to expand the hose, and then I waited an additional 10 minutes for the hose to reach maximum length. However, I did have to manually "extend" the hose by starting at the faucet and stretching out the wrinkles from the covering, so that it was as close to 50 feet as advertised.

How does it work? GREAT, if you have NO HOSE! Also, GREAT if you don't need a standard hose's far more rapid and pressurized volume of water. You will NOT be able to use the Jet setting on your nozzle to power wash your deck or sidewalk. You will NOT be able to fill a 5 gallon bucket very fast. But, for watering some hanging baskets or shrubs or allowing for more time to fill up a pond or bucket, this hose sure beats having NO HOSE!

One note of caution: with the wrinkles that are ALWAYS present on the surface of this hose, it catches/snags on the slightest of surfaces in your garden, which may exacerbate the demise of it's lifespan. A normal smooth-surface garden hose glides over flagstone, mulch and gravel; the textured surface of this hose snags on everything! So, when I was using it, I literally had to start at the nozzle and "walk the hose" over the entire surface of the job site so I could avoid snagging it and ripping it. And when I drained and coiled it up, I had to end up washing the entire hose off because it picked up all the sand we laid on the patio, making for one messy hose.

This may read as a negative review but it's NOT! I'd "give a kidney" to have a hose in a pinch at a job site and am exceedingly pleased that I can drain and coil this hose up into a shoe-box sized container, to have "In Case of Emergency". But, I'd never-ever recommend this hose or ANY expandable hose to take the place of a regular Swan/Gilmore solid walled hose; they are literally two different animals. But, for very light use and infrequent use, this hose rocks!

Nutrience Natural Healthy Adult Cat Food, 18-Pounds, Turkey, Chicken and Herring
Price: $48.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom-Nom-Nom! >^..^<, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you LOVE cats, you also know LOLCats and all LOLCats go Nom-Nom-Nom when they eat their favourite food!

THIS cat food is NOT your "$9.99/16 pound bag" of cat food that you buy at Wal-Mart! THIS cat food is for 1) the person that can afford $40 kibble; 2) has very few cats; 3) needs to have their few cats on SUPERIOR cat food for their health and wellness and 4) fill-in-your-own-reason.

For my 8 cats main food, I get (for free!) all the top drawer beef/chicken/turkey they can eat from my butcher. I realize that very few people have this luxury so I use their kibble as "treats" for them between meals. At all times, I have two or three different types of dry food out for them so they can pick and choose, just as humans enjoy doing.

With THIS food and the other varieties in the Nutrience Line, there's NO CONTEST! My furry buggers will out-eat THIS kibble 5:1, meaning that I have to top off this bowl five times faster than ANY other kibble I serve them!

I trust my cats judgment. If they are going for THIS, then it has to taste better and fill them to greater satisfaction than the other brands I buy. Honestly, if I wasn't caring for so many "cast-offs" that people have tossed away in the rural area that I live, I'd buy ONLY this brand for them to enjoy. But, as it is, it's their Once A Day treat and both they and I are happy with that arrangement.

For cat owners with only 1 or 2 puddy-tats, the cost of this product really justifies how healthy it is for your fur babies and how much they'll enjoy it.

Nutrience Original Healthy Adult Cat Food, 18-Pounds, Chicken Meal with Brown Rice Recipe
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom-Nom-Nom! >^..^<, April 15, 2014

Axe Styling Messy Look Matte Gel, 6 Ounce
Axe Styling Messy Look Matte Gel, 6 Ounce
Price: $5.39
4 used & new from $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives You That Sexy Bed-Head Look, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have short hair that varies from 1-3" across my head. I love that cut for the variety it affords me in how I wear my hair which varies from NO products to spiked, messy or finger waves.

At the salon I frequent, where hair care products can range up to FIFTY DOLLARS for a single product, I much prefer the softer feel and especially the price point of this AXE gel for the "messy look". Some of the products that my stylist have used in the past have actually acted as "dirt/lint vacuums" and make my hair feel and look like Pigpen from the Charlie Brown comics!

THIS gel does NOT attract link, dust or debris so if your hair is NOT oily, you can go at least two days before you need to wash it out.

Although AXE is marketed for men, as a woman, I really prefer most men items because they are light on cloying scents and their price is very, very affordable.

For my short hair, this is a 5 star product. :D

Axe Styling Spiked Up Look Gel, 6 Ounce
Axe Styling Spiked Up Look Gel, 6 Ounce
Price: $6.97
2 used & new from $6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives ^UP^ to it's Namesake of Spikes, galore!, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have very short hair of 1-3" depending upon where it's located on my head. The beauty of the various lengths is that it gives me great flexibility in how to style my hair, from au natural to very spikey or wavy.

Although I'm a "chick", I really like the AXE product line because it first of all WORKS and second of all, doesn't have that often cloying smell that "girly" products have. This is important if you love to wear a favourite perfume (Chanel #5, anyone?) and you don't want a silly hair product to compete with your fragrance.

Styling is a snap: place a small portion on your hands and work it into damp hair. I flip my head downward and use a diffuser on my blow-dryer to dry it; it seems to "lock in" the spikes for longer wear than when I air dry it.

Scent is marginal. The gel is NOT sticky. And it holds up quite well.

All in all, a GREAT product for not only what it does but for a wonderful price point, too!

Cookies for Kids' Cancer: Best Bake Sale Cookbook
Cookies for Kids' Cancer: Best Bake Sale Cookbook
by Gretchen Holt Witt
Edition: Hardcover-spiral
Price: $16.06
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be Mandatory for ALL Serious Bakers! <3, April 15, 2014
I discovered this cookie cookbook via "the back door", meaning that the infamous Oatmeal/Chocolate Chip cookie that began everything was a Pinterest Pin from a site I subscribe to. I was bored, it was snowing, so I made that recipe and dropped to my knees with JOY over both the taste and texture of those cookies!

Now, if you know Pinterst, when you follow the posting link, it usually takes you to the original posting and whether it was adapted or inspired from another original source. And that took me to THIS cookie cookbook and it's reason for existing.

After I wiped the tears from my eyes from the incredibly inspiring back story about the bake sales focused upon finding a cure for childhood cancer, I immediately ordered a copy for myself. After 2 weeks of reading it, owning it and making 5 of the recipes, I have since ordered THREE additional copies as gifts for friends who also love children and are passionate about baking.

Now as to the specifics of this cookbook:

1) The weight is very light and nice to hold so it easily fits into a cookbook stand without toppling over.

2) It's spiral bound!!! This makes it so very easy to read from, display and flip pages. Once you "break it in", the paper pages aren't as stiff so the pages flip easier.

3) Every other cookie recipe has a GORGEOUS photo of the finished product.

4) If you are truly using this cookbook for Bake Sales, there are hundreds of tips (enclosed in pink boxes) about how to run a successful bake sale and involve children, too!

5) The instructions are CRYSTAL CLEAR and exceedingly easy to follow and create fantastic results! It's very, very apparent that these are well-tested recipes that have helped make "96,000 cookies!"

6) Speaking of "cookies", this cookbook is not JUST cookies! No, Ma'am! There are equally tantalizing recipes for bar cookies, muffins, cupcakes, pine nut brittle, Chex Mix, white chocolate and pistachio bark and chocolate covered pretzels! I haven't had the time to make anything but drop cookies but I know that I'll be eagerly working my way through this book with great anticipation.

7) And if you need one more reason to buy this book, there are inspiring mini-stories of other bake sales across the country, raising money for the cure of childhood cancer.

NOTE: ALL of my orders have been the .01 books that are "used". 100% of the books have arrived flawlessly and in mint condition! I can't guarantee that this will be the case with any book YOU order, but it's a wonderful way to buy and gift this book to friends. <3

VINCENT LONGO Volume Plus Mascara, Black
VINCENT LONGO Volume Plus Mascara, Black
Price: $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Earth Shattering, April 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For over 5 decades, I've used the Pink & Green Covergirl mascara and LOVED it! At about $5 bucks a tube, it does everything I want it to do, and then some.

So, I was very curious as to how a $25 dollar mascara, more than five times the cost of Covergirl's, would stack up against it.

After a solid week of using the Vincent Longo mascara, there are two distinct differences that I've noticed:

1) It does NOT clump on my lashes and covers them well and individually, while the Covergirl brand tends to stick them together at times, making it necessary to unstick them, manually.

2) It does NOT make my eyes feel tired nor itchy after 12 hours of wear. That's a big selling point to me, as I had not made a connection between my mascara and my itchy eyes. Mind you, it's not immediate nor within a short time frame, but by the end of the day, wearing Covergirl mascara makes me want to claw my eyes out by 8:00 pm!

Will I pay for a mascara that costs 5 times my standard brand? I don't know. I'm not a cheap person but do strongly believe in "Cost = Superior Performance" so I'll need to use the entire tube of Vincent Longo to see if the cost justifies the extreme price. I realize that if I were a tweenager and didn't need to make car/mortgage payments the $25 dollar asking price might not bother me. But, I AM an adult with normal bills so this high price has to really deliver for me to buy it. Time will tell.

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Moisturizer With SPF 30, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Moisturizer With SPF 30, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Price: $17.94
3 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Results on My Skin! :D, April 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For reasons completely unknown to me, I have NO allergies to ANY product....south of my neck. LOL But, on both my face and scalp, if I don't use the right products in those areas that my skin demands, there's "heck" to pay! Break-outs, scabs, puffiness and swelling are the usual reactions so I'm uber-careful with what shampoos and facial products I can use.

For decades, the two skin moisturizers that I tolerate are all Olay products (currently use Total Effects 7) and Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. Neither produce blackheads or puffiness so it's what I stick with.

Now, something you need to know: I wash my face between 10 and 20 times per day!!! WHY? Because I'm a landscape architect and throughout a typical 8-10 hour day, I will be covered with sawdust from tree trimming, soil, manure!, and anything else that someone working outside for a living comes in contact with. So, whenever I'm done with a job, I either have the luxury of washing my face inside the client's home or...via the water from a hose.

Because of the constant and necessary washings to remove debris from my skin and what gets into my eyes, my skin during the cold weather is raw and chapped. Not even the listed Olay or Clinique lotions do much for me: yeah, they make my skin smooth with first application but it's either sweated off or washed off by 10:00 am.

THIS is the first lotion that stays in place!!! I admit it: it's one pricey bugger, to be sure! And, if I wasn't able to try it via Vine, I honestly doubt I ever would have bought it to try out with my weird work conditions. But, the effects were immediate on my skin and I'm loving it!

Of note: with my 1st application, there was some *tingling* on my skin that lasted an hour and had me go "Oh-Oh! Here come the hives!", but it didn't amount to anything. On my 2nd application and sequential ones, there was NO REACTION whatsoever. It is a thick-thick moisturizer: I only need the smallest amount to smooth over my entire face. And the BEST thing about this particular one: IT DOES NOT SWEAT OFF!!!! With the other two lotions I've mentioned, with the slightest of sweats, they begin to drip into my eyes, stinging them so severely that I can't wait to wash them off! Not THIS lotion! It stayed in place the entire rainy day we were trimming 12 crabapple trees and despite repeated face washings, I could still feel a residual amount on my skin.

Where both beloved moisturizers I listed always make me feel like I'm wearing a mask, I do NOT get the feeling at all from THIS product! Normally, when I wear makeup, I'll use the Olay or Clinique lotions and by night's end, I'm clawing at the clammy feeling on my skin and run to the bathroom to wash them off before even changing out of my good clothes. With this one, once I was home, I changed from work to leisure clothes, took a shower and reapplied this lotion...just because of both how good it felt but also how nice it made my saggy old skin look! LOL

I'm sold! I guess to afford this I'll have to do a few less drive-thru's for designer coffee drinks but hey, "I'm worth it!" :D VERY pleased and VERY happy with this Olay Anti-Aging moisturizer!!!

ROBINSON HOME PRODUCTS, TRIGGER SCOOPS ONEIDA SS LARGE TRIGGER SCOOP
ROBINSON HOME PRODUCTS, TRIGGER SCOOPS ONEIDA SS LARGE TRIGGER SCOOP
Offered by vanguardwholesale
Price: $14.13
4 used & new from $13.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Tool for Superior Ice Cream and Muffin Use!, March 29, 2014
Okay, with one 1 star review and now two 5 star reviews, as a consumer, you'll have to decide what you're going to do if you're interested in one of these scoops.

I have bought TWENTY of these identical scoops from Wal-Mart over the course of four years. I had bought and returned the OXO one; it made my hand's cramp. I had bought and returned the Paula Dean version; same thing, it was tiring to my hand's when I had 100's of muffins to bake for church bake sales, gifts and Christmas.

So, when I saw the Oneida version in both the small and large size, I bought both of them from Wal-Mart and haven't looked for another one since! I've purchased more of them for all of my adult children, for my dear friends, and for gift exchanges with other baker's. NONE OF US have had a single problem with the "plastic gears"...EVER! At Wal-Mart, it is sold as Oneida, NOT Robinson Home Products. You can find it in the Kitchen Accessory Aisle.

On a yearly average, I bake two dozen muffins each week for everyone to bring to school and work There is no stress nor strain on my hands with the scoop and it never causes pain nor stops performing flawlessly. No batter nor ice cream I've ever used has ever had a release or sticking problem.

I don't know what to say regarding the one star review; I believe them but perhaps they got bad versions? If your Wal-Mart sells this, buy it from THEM so you can easily exchange it if it breaks. But, from my kitchen to yours, THIS is the only scoop I'll ever use for my cookies! The large one we use for rock-hard ice cream and for making Texas-sized muffins, scooping the batter into each liner with the large version. The small one I use for 100's of batches of cookies per year. My original scoops are now four years old with zero problems!

Clean up is a snap; I hand wash and hand dry mine, never placing it in a super hot dishwasher. Perhaps that's the problem?

Anyway, if you like your muffins to turn out like a pro with minimum mess all over the pan, then THIS scoop works flawlessly. It also turns out a perfectly round scoop of yummy ice cream; we run hot water over the scoop initially and each time we use it to scoop out the next portion. Honestly, we couldn't ask for a better designed product!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20