Profile for Reviews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 206

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviews RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Primal (Overwatch series Book 1)
Primal (Overwatch series Book 1)
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars. Primal, May 22, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the first installment in the OverWatch series (but there’s a short prequel available). Primal is a novella featuring a BDSM club owner, ex-military and a psychologist, mature and classy. They meet one night as Adam saves her from two thugs.

The premise isn’t really original, right? Well, I can’t say the story in this book is unheard of, yet it has some potential for the next installments. But, if I’m completely honest I’m not sure I’m going to read the next one.

Please, I apologize for this review because I’m not as enthusiastic as I thought I would be. Keep in mind this is my opinion and doesn’t mean you’d feel the same.

Now that it’s out of the way…

I didn’t connect with the main characters Adam and Olivia. At all.

I wanted to connect with them, to feel for them and feel their attraction, but I didn’t. Olivia seems fascinated and it’s understandable. Adam saves her one night and I can understand if they feel some attachment, some connection that is difficult to define, but what I would have loved is to actually feel it. I had to think about it, to force myself to try and get around some things the author writes regarding her characters. In my opinion, that doesn’t speak in favor of a deep and thorough characterization.

I think Adam has a lot to give to this story, to this series. There are many dark edges about him even though his caring side is pretty much forefront, but it’s not much used here. It’s showed in the prologue (which is very good) and then it’s broached near the end when he talks with Olivia. But that’s all. The rest is focused solely on the BDSM club he owns and how he is attracted to Olivia and how he wants to explore the BDSM life with her and how she’s perfection. Good thing, but I would have loved to actually feel it.

Olivia is a strong willed character, independent and smart. But so far she comes across as more of a convenience to me. She’s the character that rationalizes some things and she sees beyond some of Adam’s edges with what seems like only a quick glance. I’m sorry, but even though she’s a psychologist, I would have liked to see her struggling a little bit more when Adam tells her something regarding his past. Instead, everything seems like it’s all chill and fine because…she loves him and knows he’s a good man at heart.

Like often in romance novels I think the word love is too easily and too soon dropped in. I like it when the characters go through some ordeals before they get there. That’s a personal taste so if you don’t mind it when characters fall for each other without much bumps in the road, then ignore me.

What else…

I think there are a few interesting characters we see very little of here, but I think they will offer an interesting twist later on. Just like some mysteries hinted at that should really kick start the core of the story. Hopefully it will make things more thrilling and enhance the romance between Adam and Olivia.

Right now, I don’t know if I’m going to read the next installment or not, but I will be keeping an eye on it. I have some questions regarding some things the author hints at in Primal.

Unworthy Heart (The Donnellys)
Unworthy Heart (The Donnellys)
Price: $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars. Really good hot love story., May 21, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the first book in the Donnellys series. It can be read as a standalone.

Do you know what attracted me at first upon seeing the cover and reading the blurb? For once the tattooed hottie isn’t the guy.

I know what you’re thinking, but of course I’m not tired of reading books featuring a hot tattooed male character, but it’s nice to shake things up a bit and here, the author does just that.

Don’t get me wrong, some usual tropes are still used here, but it’s well done. I like the characters because they have flaws and hang ups and have a hard time overcoming them. I love it when the author doesn’t rush anything regarding the romance and the big love declaration. Call me twisted, but I love to see the characters work hard to get there. :)

That being said, I think there’s one thing the author rushed a bit here. The beginning. I’m not talking about how the characters start to have sex, but about how both characters are introduced. It’s rather fast and without much of a setting to fully get where’s the attraction is coming for between them. I wouldn’t have minded a short prologue to see their IM interactions and/or phone calls for work before they first meet each other (that is a face-to-face meeting) at work taking place in the opening chapter. That’s just my opinion of course.

Other than that, I fell for the author’s writing. It’s easy, flows well and is perfectly balanced when it comes to dialogues and descriptions. The Donnelly family is a gem and I can’t wait to read Jimmy’s story or Cyn’s. It should be interesting.

One character I shouldn’t forget to mention is the little Jacob, Ryan’s son. He’s really cute and brings another side to Ryan’s character I really love.

Now, I’m going to talk about the sex scenes. I may shock some of you, but I think there are almost too many sex scenes here. They’re well-written, don’t leave out anything regarding the plot and the characterization, but at one point I thought it was a little bit too much. Though, it shows well how both main characters are head over heels for each other even though it’s taking a while to acknowledge it to themselves. You see, these scenes are hot and very entertaining, but sometimes I think they make the story drag a little and make the plot circle around a little bit more than needed. Of course, it’s subjective.

In a few words…

If you’re in the mood for a SEXY read featuring a hot, single father (and dominant man in the bedroom) and a tattooed woman who is very afraid of love and relationships, then this book is definitely for you. I recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2015 3:28 PM PDT

Wild (Forever Wild Book 6)
Wild (Forever Wild Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for this nice ending., May 13, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the last installment of the Forever Wild serial. Wild is a nice ending to Wes and Valerie’s love story, but it will not leave a lasting impression on me.

If you’re looking for a nice, light-hearted serial then you probably should try this one.

If you want a different serial, something thrilling and addictive with an incredible love story, then you should lower your expectations.

I hope I’m not too harsh because I had a good time with this serial and the characters are nice. But that’s all. I miss that little something more that would have made it impossible to stop reading. I miss feeling something while reading. And I’m saddened that the plot isn’t thicker. I think this story lacks depth and some characterization to make it a 5 stars read for me.

The first thing on my mind upon finishing this last installment is how very little we know of Wes. In the end, we have facts, we know some of the conflict with his parents, but it’s swept under the rug. There’s nothing more and the last scene (I don’t want to spoil you, but his parents make an appearance) contradicts completely what we’ve been told in another installment. If I remember correctly, there are a couple of flashbacks showing how poorly Wes’ father treated him and yet…There’s nothing much regarding this.

And don’t get me started on how easily Wes’ life turns around in all aspects. Call me a cynic, but I don’t find it all that believable—even if this is a fiction. I’m sorry. :/

There’s also something in the plot that is a little odd when Valerie goes after Wes back to Vegas. I’m not going to give away anything if you’re about to read it, but I couldn’t read this with a straight face. It was entertaining and fun, but it was difficult for me to truly enjoy reading it.

In a few words…

This is a nice serial, but I think it would have been better as a full length novel instead. The plot and characterization lack some depth, but if you’re looking for something light and maybe a bit cliché, then go for it. Good for a beach read. :)

Wild For You: Forever Wild #5
Wild For You: Forever Wild #5

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 to 3 stars, May 13, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the fifth installment of the Forever Wild series. After this one there’s only one installment left.

My review is going to be rather short, so I apologize.

I was expecting a lot more and in the end it’s like with the other installments. Some things happen that could have, should have had deeper consequences, more of an impact on things and characters. It’s like the author takes the easy way out most often than not and without digging deep enough to make this story a true epic love story.

Valerie and Wes have a good chemistry, but the love is difficult to feel as a reader. At least, I have a hard time feeling it.

The plot itself is interesting and has a great potential, but I don’t think it’s exploited at its best. Again, that’s how I feel so I’m sure not many other readers feel the same.

The ending of this installment is a disappointment for me because it’s too predictable and too much like what we often see in the genre and in stories using the same kind of trope.

I hope the last installment will be a bit better, but it’s still a nice serial to read and light-hearted. That’s always a good point.

(I don’t know if it’s because I have a review copy, but I have seen a few typos in these installments.)

The Wild Side (Forever Wild Book 4)
The Wild Side (Forever Wild Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars., May 13, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the fourth book in the serial and while it’s still nice to read Wes and Valerie’s story, I don’t see why the author decided to split it into parts to create a serial instead of keeping it a novel.

You see, I don’t see the good thing regarding these short installments when I think about the plot and how it’s evolving. That’s just my opinion, of course.

Other than that, it’s pretty much the same as the previous installments. It’s nice, kind of hot sometimes (but it’s not that hot), and the romance is building more and more even though the characters keep the “love“ word to themselves. (And it’s a good thing, or so I think).

But some things aren’t deep enough, and I’m not exactly talking about the characterization even though I do think the characters are too two dimensional right now. It’s more about the plot here. Nothing much happens that is really climatic. It could be, but it’s not used that way. Or at least that’s how I feel right now.

Yet, there’s something good I wasn’t expecting. Max. He’s a despicable character and yet he brings a little something really interesting. Though, I don’t understand why Valerie reacts that way with him (you have to read to understand), but I do think that he is very much needed. I hope to see more of him in the next installment because the plot needs something more, something that’s going to shaken things up a bit if I don’t want to end up more detached than I already am at the moment.

The Wild One (Forever Wild Book 3)
The Wild One (Forever Wild Book 3)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 to 3.5 stars. Wes and Valerie are a nice couple., May 13, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the third installment in the serial Forever Wild. With this one, we reach the halfway mark of the story and I’m starting to get more impatient. I’m going to try and explain myself.

This is the first time we have Wes’ POV. It’s a nice touch and brings a slightly different dynamic to the story. Obviously, now that we know what’s on Wes mind I see him differently even though his POV doesn’t sound that thrilling at times.

Do I like Wes? Yes, I do. I’m not in love with him and he’s not my favorite male lead character, but he’s nice and still has potential.

That being said, I think he’s fallen for Valerie way too easily and too fast. I always have a hard time when that happens in books. Here, I think it contradicts a little bit with how he went to marrying Valerie in the first place. He wanted out of Vegas and she seemed like the perfect help for it. I would have enjoyed a little bit more doubts on his part regarding the marriage and his feelings. I’m not saying the author isn’t showing that Wes has some inner debates and is a little lost sometimes, but it’s not really gripping. And I don’t buy it completely.

We see little of Valerie in this installment so I don’t have much to say about her here. Though, she’s the same, but now that it’s Wes’ POV we’re reading, she appears a little less easy to grasp. That’s when it’s obvious that she’s better at hiding her emotions than I first thought. Or maybe the characterization isn’t deep enough.

Wes and Valerie form a nice couple, but it’s not necessarily thrilling at this point. Yet, I look forward to the next installment.

Wild Hearts (Forever Wild Book 2)
Wild Hearts (Forever Wild Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for a nice second installment, May 13, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the second installment and while it’s still an enjoyable read and is still very nice and fun, I like this one less than the first.

I still don’t know Wes and don’t fully know Valerie. Their relationship is still very much on the physical attraction and that’s fine, but I don’t see or buy anything else. The fact that Valerie has an inner debate regarding her building feelings for him has me bothered. You see, I think it’s too sudden. I can buy the insane and intense physical attraction, but not anything beyond that. There’s nothing here to make it happen so soon. A building friendship and “attachment“ would be better.

Also, some things are very repetitive. Wes keeps on saying that Valerie is the kind of woman who knows what she wants. Good, but no need to say it again when it’s been said a few chapters before.

Valerie’s thoughts are mostly going in circle here and I don’t really see an evolution of any sort. Maybe I should look harder. :/

The plot thickens a little bit now that there’s another man in the mix (I’m not going to write anything else if you want to read this book), but I find it a little odd. Somehow, he comes from nowhere and right now he feels more like the excuse to add some trouble in the mix than anything else. And this new character doesn’t make me like Valerie much, incidentally.

Valerie has more issues regarding how she sees herself than I first thought and it’s weighing things down a bit. I hope it’s not too much of a big deal in the next few installments.

I’m still looking forward to the next book, but I’m more wary than before. I have high expectations!

One Wild Night (Forever Wild Book 1)
One Wild Night (Forever Wild Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good potential., May 11, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the first installment of the Forever Wild serial. It counts six parts and they are all available.

This is a quick, very light and even funny read, but not necessarily laughing out loud kind of funny. There’s a good chick-lit vibe mixed with a contemporary romance atmosphere with a good potential.

I had a good time with Valerie and her stripper husband Wes. Their story isn’t unheard of (a trip to Las Vegas that ends in a drunken wedding), but it’s still nice to read and I think the author has a lot for us in store.

Wes is still rather mysterious right now and while I’m far from melting (contrary to Valerie apparently), I still want to know more about him. After all, he’s a good looking man, tattooed and pierced! ;)

More seriously, Wes has the potential for more, to be a great male interest but he needs to prove himself. I hope I’m not going to be disappointed.

Valerie is a modern young woman with a nice and fresh voice. She’s rather independent and knows what she wants and doesn’t shy from it. That’s always a good thing in books and here it serves the story and helps create a good dynamic.

The relationship between Valerie and Wes is still very superficial and I can’t really say that I’m won over, yet I really look forward to the next installment. I want to know more about Wes and Valerie because right now we don’t know much.

Magna Vernon’s writing is flowing with ease and works well with Valerie’s voice. There’s a good balance between the dialogues and descriptive parts which makes this book more agreeable to read.

One Wild Night is a nice first installment and is fun and light to read. I recommend this one if you’re looking for another serial. Now, I just hope the potential I see here becomes reality!

Jaded, Part III: (A second chance romance serial)
Jaded, Part III: (A second chance romance serial)
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 to 4 stars for a nice end to this nice serial., May 10, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the last part of the serial and it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger. But, there’s an opening for Kari’s best friends’ stories.

You see, now that I’m finished with this serial, I can say that it’s a nice read, but it’s not something I will remember. It was nice and that’s all. I’m not disappointed, but I was expecting something more intense, something that would grab me more tightly.

In the end, I had a good time with Kari and Jake, but I don’t think much of it.

Kari and Jake’s romance keeps evolving in this last part. Their relationship evolves rather fast, actually. Once they’re in, they’re all in in a matter of a couple of pages. Considering the amount of pages spent showing Kari AND Jake’s fears regarding a commitment, regarding love and loyalty, I wasn’t expecting things to change so quickly and so seamlessly.

If there’s something that bothers me a little in the last installment, it’s how the word love is so easily used by characters supposedly beyond hurt by love. They’re supposed to be JADED (check title). I felt their fear, mostly Kari’s and it’s well-done, but I didn’t feel the characters as jaded. That’s maybe why I didn’t completely love Kari and Jake’s love story. Also, they’re almost too perfect. I don’t see a real flaw in them and that’s an issue for me because I love flawed characters, but it’s a personal taste.

The author’s writing is flowing and it seems better than in the first installment. The dialogues seem to flow better and the secondary characters don’t take too much space this time around.

What else?

If you’re expecting a hot read, forget it. The sex scenes aren’t graphic and some are close-door sex scenes. It didn’t bother me because I think it fits the voice of the story and the characters. But if you want a sexy read, this one isn’t for you.
I don’t know if I’m going to read the next serial that will feature Lisa and Kari’s brother.

Overall, Jaded is a nice serial and this third part ends Kari and Jake’s story very nicely.

Jaded, Part II: (A second chance romance serial)
Jaded, Part II: (A second chance romance serial)
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great second part!, May 10, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the second part of a three part serial. While the first one was nice, it didn’t completely win me over. Yet, this second installment is another story. :)

The first part was only from Kari’s POV, but this second installment is a dual POV and it immediately grabbed me.
It starts with Jake’s POV and while his voice isn’t that distinctive or different from what I’m used to, it still bring a little something more to this story that is missing in the first installment.

Also, it doesn’t hurt that there’s a lot less info dump and backstory here. That’s my issue with the previous part, so you can imagine how happy I am that the action, the plot truly starts. Finally.

Jake is a nice male interest. It’s without saying that he’s hot, well-built and sweet, but plagued with mistrust when it comes to women. Unfortunately, here I think it’s not subtlety showed and it ends up being almost laughable at times. I mean, I understand where he’s coming from, but sometimes his thought process isn’t depicted in a way that would melt me completely. I’m feeling more like shaking some sense into him than anything else.

Kari, on the other hand, is a delight. This time around I truly get her and like her. She’s vulnerable, yet strong enough and independent enough to get herself out there. It’s nice to read and I like how she’s dealing with things now. (Though, the ending of this installment pisses me off).

The writing flows pretty well even though some dialogues don’t feel very natural. The inner thoughts are still present, but are more active than in the previous installment. This time around, I could see the author’s intent and how the plot is built. Now I can say it’s a romance, something not necessarily obvious upon reading the first part of Jaded.

I hope the last part is even better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20