Profile for Reviews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 180

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviews RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Hate F*@k: part two: romantic suspense serial (The Horus Group Book 2)
Hate F*@k: part two: romantic suspense serial (The Horus Group Book 2)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 to 4 stars. I look forward to the next and last part!, March 23, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the second part of a three part serial. I had to re-read the last chapter of the first part because I didn’t remember much (that’s a sign I read too many books), but it quickly came back to me. This second installment was enjoyable, but less so than the first one for me.
While you still have the hot chemistry between Cole and Hailey, I find this second part a little too all over the place. For example, we’re left with an insane cliffhanger after reading the first part, but in the end the events leading to that cliffhanger aren’t that important in this installment and are rather fast “forgotten“.

I think my issue here comes from the fact that for such a short installment you have a plot that is slightly all over the place. It’s very interesting to have some suspense, the whole thing regarding Cole’s work, but it’s almost confusing at times. To be honest, a novel would have probably made it easier for the author to develop fully that aspect of the story. It’s just my opinion.

But the funny thing is, because the two main characters are great together, because they have that amazing chemistry everything doesn’t seem so important. (But their issues are too downplayed and/or overlooked sometimes. The sex takes A LOT of place).

The writing is good for such a story. In the opening chapters I think some sentences are a little stilted, but maybe it’s because I needed to get back in the story.

Overall, it’s a good second part, it makes me want to read the last part and I’m left with questions. After all, we know that in serials parts end on a cliffhanger.

Marry Me for Money
Marry Me for Money

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars. A nice read., March 22, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

While this book could (and in my opinion probably should) be read as a standalone, the author states in the book that there will be another book featuring Kent and Beth.

It’s unusual, but when I first received this book, I immediately started reading, but stopped around 15% or so. I couldn’t get into it and I didn’t know if it was me or the book. But here I am, a few months later. I finished it very quickly and I enjoyed it.

See? I guess it was me after all. :)

But even though I finished reading Marry Me For Money and even though I enjoyed it, there are a few things that prevented me from loving it as much as the author’s other book (which I LOVE). I am going to try and explain, but keep in mind that I truly had a good time reading Kent and Beth’s story.

This story is exclusively told from Beth’s POV and while I sometimes would have liked to have an inkling of what was going on in Kent’s head, the POV and the voice are a good match for the atmosphere and the characters. Beth is fun, but also driven and like many women out there. It’s easy to understand and maybe even identify to her to a certain extent.

But sometimes I couldn’t get Kent. I like him, a lot, but there are some things that clashed with what the author was showing us through Beth’s eyes. For a little while Kent was fun and that was great, but after a while I started to be annoyed with him. Then again, it started right when I felt like things between Kent and Beth were not moving along one way or another which ended up frustrating me. It even bored me for a couple of chapters.

That being said, the dynamic between Kent and Beth is nice. Their friendship, while genuine, blossomed probably too fast for my taste, but it helped building them as characters and it served the important twist of the story: a marriage for money.
It doesn’t happen immediately and that’s a good thing according to me. It helped the characterizations, and also it gave the time for the author to show us the dynamic between all the characters and not just the two main. But, once it starts it all happens pretty fast.

The secondary characters and the secondary plot (regarding Beth’s mother) aren’t enough explored. Some things are very, very rushed near the end. It actually annoyed me and that’s probably the only thing I didn’t like at all. I’m sure I’m going to be one of the very few saying this.
Other than that, it’s a really good book in the genre. The romance is very, very slow building and I like that, but I do think that it can be annoying at one point. In hindsight, the author made the right call, but while reading it can be a letdown. Of course, it depends on what you’re looking for when you start reading.

The dialogues are great, some banters between Kent and Beth quite funny and they bring the right amount of comic relief to make this story pretty much a light read even though you will also find some angst in there.

As you can see, I have mixed feelings, but that doesn’t mean this book isn’t a good read. The author knows how to portray her characters, she knows how to build a plot and she knows how to write her story. Her writing flows well and it’s an easy read.

I will keep an eye on this author and will probably pick up the sequel when it’s out. (But I still think that the ending of this book is really good as it is and I’m not thrilled that there’s going to be another one).

Garrett: A Cold Fury Hockey Novel (Carolina Cold Fury Hockey Book 2)
Garrett: A Cold Fury Hockey Novel (Carolina Cold Fury Hockey Book 2)
Offered by Random House LLC

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 to 4.5. I love Garrett, March 20, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the second book in the series, but can be read as a standalone. Each book features different characters. I enjoyed the first one (Alex), but I remember not being completely won over. But here, Garrett (and Olivia) made me swoon.

It’s amazing when in a story there are sweet moments, hot ones, funny ones and also painful scenes. I love it when a book can put me in different moods when I’m reading, and this one did exactly that.

Olivia has cancer and when she meets Garrett, she decides to have a very short fling with him before she starts fighting for her health. The author did an amazing job at showing us how Olivia is strong, afraid and also very human. I empathized with her right away. Not even once did I get bored or annoyed with her. She’s a really great main character and it was amazing to see Garrett through her eyes and feel their connection. Believe me, it’s pretty sizzling. ;)

Garrett starts the book by being the ultimate one-night stand master. To be honest, I didn’t like the first chapter of the book. Really not. Not because Garrett is the ultimate player at first glance, but because the story itself seemed to be without depth. I was very soon reassured and I was even more drawn to Garrett and Olivia’s story. If Garrett doesn’t take a spot on your book boyfriend list I don’t know which character will! I swooned several times, blushed a few times too and yet the sex scenes aren’t overly descriptive. It’s pretty tasteful in my opinion. Hot, sometimes sweet, but tasteful all the same and I could feel/see the chemistry between both characters.

The plot itself is working well. We see Garrett and Olivia’s relationship evolve, we see them face obstacles regarding her cancer and it was really sweet and sometimes heartbreaking to read. I had a hard time putting the book down.

The supporting characters are great and while I’d have loved to see a little bit more of them—like more of Garrett’s family—I do think they complement the main characters.
We see Alex and Sutton in this book since Sutton is Olivia’s cousin and Alex is Garrett’s best friend. It’s a nice touch and well-brought to add a little something to those of us reading the series. But, I must insist, you don’t have to read the first book to enjoy this book or to understand the characters.
Now, I must tell you…I’m quite eager to read the next book which will feature Zack. I think I need to brace myself for this one!

The Line Between (The Line Between #1)
The Line Between (The Line Between #1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars. I will read the next book in the series, March 11, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

The Line Between is the first book of the series with the same name, but it can be read as a standalone.

First, I have to talk about the cover, because it’s what first attracted me. I’m in love with this cover and I think it fits to perfection both the story AND the title. I’m glad because when I first saw this book on Netgalley, I hesitated considering that the blurb doesn’t say much regarding the plot and the characters. I’m happy that I took a chance on this book. :)

Dane and Kennedy are a hot mess. Because of the Winters family and the Monroe family feud, they’ve always been at each other’s throat. But as I kept reading this novel, I soon realized that the tension, the sparks, the contradictory feelings of these two went beyond the family feud. The author does a wonderful job at showing the complexity of Dane and Kennedy’s feelings and relationship.

If you’re not fond of the hot and cold kind of trope, then this one may not be for you. It’s all about their issues, their preconceived idea of each other getting in the way, and something far more tragic that added to their already difficult relationship. I actually bought this right away even though I would have enjoyed to see a lot more of their families and of the family feud that supposedly runs from generation to generation, I couldn’t put down this book.

I loved reading how Dane and Kennedy started to get closer, mostly against anything and everything that should have kept them at arms’ length. It was touching and oh so hot! Seriously, I think I have a soft spot for Dane. ;)

The author’s writing is flowing really well and she is able to show the college life and a wonderful group of friends that is entertaining to follow. That being said, I think some characters don’t have enough purpose in the story. The first one that comes to mind is Chase. His role is not enough developed and used, I think.

The plot is one of a great love story that swept me off almost immediately. It’s common in a way, but the set of characters, the voice of the story and the chemistry between Dane and Kennedy make it entertaining and it also kept me on my toes.

The ending is rushed and the epilogue maybe too short for my taste, but I’m often unhappy with endings, finding them often rushed. But it didn’t impact my reading pleasure, so don’t hesitate and pick this book as your next read. I’m pretty sure Dane is going to make you swoon. And I’m sure you’re going to have to fan yourself.

Everything Has Changed
Everything Has Changed
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars. I love Bliss and Jimmy's relationship, March 11, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is a standalone novel and I’m in love with it. I still have a huge smile on my face. It really is a great contemporary romance novel, filled with emotions, wonderful lines and a set of characters that I couldn’t help but fall in love with.

I love friends turned to lovers stories when they’re well-done, and this one is, in my opinion, amazing. The romance is very slow to start, but in a way it’s ever present. Jimmy and Bliss are the best of friends and you don’t have to wait several pages to pick on their dynamic and Bliss’s true feelings for this gorgeous and sweet football player.

I absolutely love how the author describes this friendship, I love how she shows us how deep their attachment to each other runs and how much their lives are entwined. For example, I think the “flashback“ scenes are smartly introduced and add more to the depth of Jimmy and Bliss’ relationship. It’s almost as if the characterization is effortless and done naturally. It flows with the plot, with the dialogues.

But while there are some lightness to this story, emotions run rampant. My heart had hurt for them, but it also sped up significantly. I went through as many emotions as Bliss did and I lost myself in this book, rooting for Jimmy and Bliss. It’s been a while since I’ve last felt so invested in characters. Ah… It feels really good. :)

The plot itself is great. You have everything from long distance, family drama, hang ups and issues to the fear of losing a once in a lifetime kind of friendship. Everything is covered in this book and not in an overwhelming or over the top way. Once again, it flows. The author mastered her story and her characters, creating a heart-warming, sometimes heart-breaking love story, mainly based on a wonderful friendship.

The writing is a perfect match for Bliss’ voice in this story told from her POV. I was never bored and I didn’t have to wait a few chapters to be hooked. Bliss is a character I easily identified myself with. I understand her, I get her reactions, her fears and her feelings. She is a good lead character, one I enjoyed following.

If there’s one thing I think is a little rushed it’s the moment when they finally open up to each other, and also the resolution at the end of the book. I wouldn’t have minded a little more details, but to be honest with you, I don’t even know if it’s because I enjoyed reading this book so much that I didn’t want it to end or if it’s an objective comment. Yes, I really, really enjoyed reading this book.

Mending Michael (Hunter Hill University Series Book 2)
Mending Michael (Hunter Hill University Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars, March 10, 2015
I received this novel via Netgalley for an honest review.

This is the second book in the Hunter Hill University series, but it can be read as a standalone. Each book features different main characters.
I don’t know if you’re like me, but I’ve read many, many new adult books these last couple of years. They often are quite steamy with flawed characters and while this one has flawed characters, broken even, the steam is very mild because that’s not the focus of the story. Believe me, it’s a good thing here.

What I enjoy the most in this book it’s the way the author doesn’t take the easy way. Her characters are attracted to each, but they don’t fall into each other’s arms. They fight along the way, fight against themselves, against their issues and also for themselves. While it’s obvious it’s Michael who has more issues here, I like Holly’s journey too. She’s the perfect example of what a new adult female character is. She’s strong and yet has issues finding what she wants to study, what she wants to do with her life, she’s also trying to emancipate herself from her family and especially from her father. Isn’t that what we’re expecting to find in a NA contemporary book? At least, that’s what I’m often looking for.

The only thing I have an issue with when it comes to Holly it’s how the author manages the talk she has with her father. For me it should have been way more climatic, way more intense and difficult to go out. In the end, the build up is really great, but the result is lacking. That’s how I feel, but I’m sure other readers don’t feel the same. Sometimes I can be very picky.

Michael is a great character and I hurt for him. That’s exactly what I love. When I feel for a character it’s a given that I’m going to end up really liking it. That doesn’t mean I didn’t want to slap him a couple of times while reading. For example, I think some things are too drawn out.

Now, there’s something you don’t often see in contemporary romance books. Here, the romance is a very, very slow building one. The characters don’t fall into each other after a matter of ten or twenty pages. It’s a good thing and it goes with the characterization of both Holly and Mick. That being said, I do think it comes a little too late in the book and isn’t as powerfully showed as I would have loved. But it’s well built and I enjoy the few banters between Holly and Mick. Some are a little over the top, but it’s very entertaining.

I will probably add to my TBR the other books in the series

Trade Me (Cyclone Book 1)
Trade Me (Cyclone Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars., March 9, 2015
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

Trade Me is the first book in the Cyclone series. It can be read as a standalone.

It’s funny sometimes how it’s taking a little while to get into a story. Here, at first I was intrigued and even hooked, but I quickly got bored. And then, getting closer and closer to the end I went back to being hooked. In the end, I do think it’s a really good story, a story worth reading.
Blake and Tina are interesting characters. They have hang ups, issues that come in the way. The author did a really great job in showing us how difficult it is for them both to overcome their issues and take risks and stand up for themselves.

But, I had a hard time at one point with Tina’s issues. It’s believable and really well-done, but unfortunately I got bored. It didn’t last, of course, but at one point I was afraid that it wouldn’t evolve. I think Tina’s evolution came late and slightly rushed. But, it’s very well-tied up.

Blake’s problem was a mystery for a little while. I picked up on some things, but I think we were kept too long in the dark considering that it’s not used all that much later on when it came to light. That being said, it’s very understandable, well-written and I was on board with him. It’s not an issue often used, if at all, for male character. It’s also great to read about a nice male lead character, a character that isn’t cold, that isn’t an alpha-male and who isn’t a womanizer either. It’s a good change.

Considering that this story is written in dual POV, I expected to see more of a difference between Tina and Blake’s voice, but it’s pretty similar when it’s all said and done. Of course, you pick up on whose POV it is, but I didn’t necessarily felt the difference.

The plot itself is pretty straightforward and based on a switch between Tina and Blake’s lives. It’s not unheard of, it’s not necessarily unique and it’s not the most interesting aspect of this novel. The interesting thing is witnessing Blake and Tina overcoming their fears and issues and getting closer.

The writing style is flawless, but maybe a little too descriptive at times for my taste and for the tone of the book. It’s a matter of personal taste here. But, I can say this without a doubt: this author is talented.

In the end, Tina and Blake are very alike, they’re good characters, have a nice chemistry and their romance is akin to those you can find in modern romantic movies. It’s a nice distraction, a refreshing contemporary romance from what I often read. I will read the next ones in the series.

Outside The Ropes
Outside The Ropes

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars. I will read the next one., March 7, 2015
This review is from: Outside The Ropes (Kindle Edition)
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

Outside the Ropes is the first installment in the series and ends on a small cliffhanger. I heard that this book was previously published on Wattpad, but I don’t know if it’s true or not. Either way, it’s an enjoyable read if you’re looking for some suspense, but the romance is lackluster for me.

I enjoyed reading this book. Stating otherwise would be a lie. Sometimes I got a little bored, but soon after a new twist would pop up and things would unravel some more and I was sucked back in. The only thing is, the prologue let it on that the story would be pretty exciting right away, but I think the beginning of the book is rather slow when you take in the book in its whole. That doesn’t mean that first part isn’t important, not at all! It is very important for Regan’s characterization. Though, I do think that some things would have happened a little sooner to not have some things repeating themselves again and again.

Now, if you’re looking for a book only about the romance you’re going to be let down. It’s not a romance as I often read and review here. There’s a romantic aspect, but to be honest with you it doesn’t interest me all that much. The author uses the word spark to describe how Regan and Gage are together, but other than the description states, I don’t feel it all that much. It dragged for a while and then happens and it morphed into something more so quickly in comparison to how long it took for them to get closer. Somehow, sometimes it made me cringe a little bit.

But the thing that truly interested me and still does, it’s the suspense. The author created a story based on suspense and it really works. She didn’t take the easy way out, didn’t hesitate in adding some crazy twists to her story and I can only bow to her for that. It’s the suspense that won me over, not the characters, not the romance.

Speaking of the characters…

I’m not necessarily fond of them. I enjoy Regan enough not to be annoyed by her POV and to want to know more regarding her past, but I don’t love her either. Gage is interesting enough, but sometimes I felt like some of his actions were at odds with what he’s showed. I enjoyed Dexter (Gage’s little brother) for a while, but close to the end I wanted to slap him. The other secondary characters bring a little something to the story, but I don’t necessarily care about them.
Even Anthony made me wary for a while. At this time, I still don’t know why. I’d like to see him again in the next installment because I think he could bring another twist when need be.

To be honest with you, rating this book is very difficult for me. I’m hesitating, going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars…

Bad Romeo
Bad Romeo
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with this book, these characters. I can't wait for the next one., January 5, 2015
This review is from: Bad Romeo (Kindle Edition)
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

Bad Romeo is the first book in the series and while I can’t exactly call the ending a cliffhanger, it sure leaves us without a conclusion. And honestly, I loved reading this book so much that I just want more of Ethan and Cassie. I’ve already marked the date of the release of the next book in my calendar! That’s how far gone I am. ;)

So, brace yourself for the gushing I’m about to impose on you. Ready?

Bad Romeo is everything I love in a good contemporary romance novel, and more. You have the sweetness with some lines that just melt me, you have a charismatic male interest that is brooding, sexy, difficult in so many ways and yet his vulnerability is enchanting. You have a female character that is relatable, funny, sincere and so very human that you can’t not understand and like her. Also, in this book you see both characters fighting, you see them fighting against their feelings, their attraction and I must say that it’s done amazingly here. It didn’t feel cliché or overdone because the pain in both characters, their fears is there and I felt for them both even though sometimes I wanted to shake Ethan. ;)

The story never bored me. Not even one little chapter. Everything is important and the author succeeded in writing a story that shows us the present of both characters, but also their past, the past that changed everything six years ago. I was never lost in the timeframe, and I could really see the evolution of Ethan and Cassie. It’s very interesting and it’s quite impressive because I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an easy fit to actually write a story that is split in two, but is actually very much connected. I know, it must not make much sense to you, but you have to read the book to understand.

The secondary characters are great too. You have a little of everything and that’s nice because they complete Ethan and Cassie’s story. I completely lost myself for a few hours while reading this book, and I think it’s also because the author was able to add secondary characters that support well Ethan and Cassie to better create a whole world, life around them. I can honestly say that I was hooked even before I was finished with the first chapter.

The writing itself is lively. You can see Cassie’s voice, and even spot the changes in her that occurred between the moment she meets Ethan and the present day. That’s subtlety done and I can’t praise the author enough. She knows her characters and it feels like there’s nothing left aside.

The romance itself is wonderful too. There are so much left unsaid still, but we know where they’re coming from and I’m rooting for Cassie and Ethan. I love how the author took her time to unravel some mysteries and how the romance isn’t starting right away or how it’s a constant battle. It put things into perspective and I really like how real it somehow felt.

I know, I know, at this point I’m shamelessly being a fangirl, but it’s been a while since I last felt so very much consumed by a story and by the characters featured. I’m so eager to read the sequel that it’s almost embarrassing.

If there’s one thing I need to write it’s this: Buy and Read this book. Now! ;)

Eyes Turned Skyward (Entangled Embrace) (Flight & Glory)
Eyes Turned Skyward (Entangled Embrace) (Flight & Glory)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca Yarros has a new fan!, December 30, 2014
I received this book via Netgalley for an honest review.

This book is the second novel written by Rebecca Yarros and the second one I’ve read. Her first one was a huge hit for me, moving me beyond words and she did it again with this one.

If there’s one thing I should warn you about it’s how in love I am with this book and these characters. Rebeca Yarros is now, without a doubt, one of my favorite authors. She’s able to write a New Adult Contemporary Romance novel with emotions pouring out of each and every words, with flawed characters overcoming tough times with class and a maturity that can only be praised and the love story is just wonderful and heartfelt.

I had a feeling I’d enjoy this story, but I wasn’t expecting loving it so much. For a start, the main characters, Paisley and Jagger are amazing. They are strong and yet have weaknesses that make them very much human. They have flaws and make bad decisions, but that only adds to them, to their characterization and make me love them even more, care for them even more. While reading, I was so caught in the story that I let myself be overpowered by my emotions, because there are a few scenes that are very powerful. Brace yourself if you’re going to read it! ;)

The romance itself is just perfect. You have a sweetness that’s going to make you sigh contentedly, heat that’s going to have you fanning yourself, fun that’s going to bring a smile to your face and anguish, just enough to make you fear for Paisley and Jagger while you’re going to glue yourself to your book/ebook.

There’s basically no filler scenes because each and every scenes have a purpose, in my opinion. Sometimes they help the characterization, sometimes they show more of the secondary characters to better create the characters’ life and the settings of the story. Most often than not it makes the plot move along in a smart way. I was never bored while reading this book, only thrilled to see more of Paisley and Jagger.

The writing of this author is perfect, at least, it is the perfect match for my taste. I love the inner thoughts of the characters because I could actually see the difference in their voice. I also love how lively, dynamic the two POVs are. The dialogues ring true and aren’t forced and they even out the descriptive parts and the inner thoughts of the main characters. It’s smartly written and the emotions are wonderfully conveyed, so much so that I thought I’d spill a tear or two a few times.

The army atmosphere is perfectly shown. I don’t know much about it, but it feels true. The author manages to bring the army life into perspective without it impacting the rhythm of the story. It just adds a new layer, a new interest. I honestly can’t wait for the next book and I’ll make sure to read it asap.

So, I loved this book—probably one of my favorites this year—and I can only stress that you must read this one if you like this type of story. This author is one to follow because her stories aren’t just well-written with attractive male leads, they’re emotional and ring true in the feelings they convey.

And if you’re looking for a new character to make you swoon with his lines, you can’t miss out on Jagger. I’m still melting!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18