Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Patrick_91 > Reviews

Browse

Patrick_91's Profile

Customer Reviews: 87

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Patrick_91 "Patrick" RSS Feed (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo G903M Duos 16GB - Factory Unlocked Phone - Retail Packaging (Black)
Price: $443.44
4 used & new from $249.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically an Upgraded S4, April 4, 2016
My contract on my ageing red Galaxy S4 (at the time it was one of the better phones you could get as the S5 was still 3 months away from launch) was finally done, I was in the market for a new phone but didn't want to spend tons of money (under $100 with an otterbox) I upgrade every 2 years because I have my phone on 24/7-365, The phone needed to fulfill 2 things:

1.Have a Rugged case available at the store (I can't risk waiting online for one while having this naked because of my job)
2.Have a removable back or take an SD card (I often need more space than the phones provide)

I set out to my local cell phone store, with ideas of getting a Note 4, but in the end my choices were limited to either the S5 Neo,S5,S6 or S7. I wasn't about to drop $300 or $400 on a phone and the S5 was still $200. It was either this phone or go home.

I ended up getting it with a defender case on sale, in the end its not a bad phone but its barely an upgrade over the S4...actually its like a "refreshed" S4. To hit the point home the phones screen is only .1 of an inch bigger but has less pixel density by 9 (its still a great AMOLED screen its probably the same one used in the S4 just slightly larger hence the decrease in pixel density), the processor of the S4 was a quad core 1.9Ghz while the Neo has an Octacore @1.6Ghz yes it has 4 more cores but performance increases will be minimal, they both share 2GB of ram, features from the camera were actually removed on the Neo that the S4 had.

The key difference here is in the body,screens, and GPU the S4 has Gorilla Glass 3 while the Neo does not, however the Neo is both water and dust resistant while the S4 is not (that was the S4's biggest weakness IMO)-This is a case of give and take, to keep the cost down. The GPU on the S4 is around 450Mhz while the S5 Neo is at ~650Mhz.

To summarize (TL;DR)
+Android 5.1 is nicer than 5.0.1
+Water and Dust resistance is nice
+Crazy good battery life (better than both the S5 and S6)
+Being slightly bigger than the S4 gives it a better look
+All S5 cases will work on the Neo

-No Gorilla Glass
- "Average" internals (still an upgrade over older Samsung phones)
-Doesn't do enough to stand out
-Too feature stripped even compared to the S4
-Barely an upgrade to the S4

In my opinion the S4 was and still is a great phone, easily a 5/5 for its time, the S5 Neo, for me is probably a 3.5/5, and I imagine it will be quietly swept under the rug (discontinued) by the time summer hits.

RCA 10" Windows Tablet with Detachable Keyboard W101
RCA 10" Windows Tablet with Detachable Keyboard W101
Offered by Trustful Tech
Price: $128.88
8 used & new from $74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Throwaway Tablet, March 6, 2016
*this is a review of the W101 V2 essentially the same as the W101 except with windows 10 and 2GB of ram rather than 1GB

I've only had this tablet for around 24 hours, its a pretty neat device however a few things make me leery that this 'laptab' will hold up with serious use. First the good, if you're just looking for a secondary device to fart around with in the living room or bedroom (ie youtube or facebook) this will do just fine. It has a Intel Atom 1.33-1.83Ghz processor and 2GB of ram, its spec'd about the same as, say an Acer 10 tablet but about $150 cheaper. This is probably the cheapest Windows 10 tab you can buy new, the keyboard is magnetic and is easy to attach and detach but I prefer to have it attached. The body of the actual unit seems to be aluminum while the keyboard is just plastic, the touchpad feels kind of cheap,but hey for $200 (cdn) you can't nitpick at the little things. The touch screen seems really responsive and easily replaces the subpar touch pad, it also comes with a screen protector pre-installed. The usb 2.0 port works just like a regular one (attach a mouse or keyboard, flash drive etc..) battery seem to hold a decent charge (about 4-5 hours).

Now the bad, if you use this extensively for long periods of time, the unit tends to build up lots of heat, this is a flaw from the factory were they forgot to remove the plastic from the aluminum sheets during assembly from some units essentially boiling the chips after a few weeks/months of use. So far my particular unit has not had heat issues but i'm not taking risks and have everything of importance on a microSD. For the price though this is a throwaway tablet and if it breaks after a year I'm not going to cry.

EDIT:

After a few more days of use I installed a temperature monitoring program, after 30-60mins of use the tablet stays at around 45-55 Celsius never seems to get much hotter than that, but I wouldn't push normal use much past 2 hours.

Bandai Hobby #11 RG Destiny Gundam Model Kit, 1/144 Scale
Bandai Hobby #11 RG Destiny Gundam Model Kit, 1/144 Scale
Price: $25.90
246 used & new from $19.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A great model, tons of detail in a small 1/144 ..., December 27, 2015
A great model, tons of detail in a small 1/144 package, however therein lies the problem. The model is so small that a lot of the parts are harder to put together, this kit took me around 15 hours to put together (I haven't built models since 2002, and only did 2 HG kits before attempting this) Hardest parts were actually the arms and wings...oh the wings. They are much too heavy for this little gundam to hold, I had an insane amount of difficulty getting the wings to stay on the backpack. At the end of the day I ended up with a lazy wing that I will eventually just superglue into place. Overall as one reviewer said the amount of work that needs to go into the Destiny is not worth the end result.

Don't get me wrong the RG Destiny is beautiful, but it is a pain to get it how you want it to look, and this is definitely not beginner friendly, the standard HG 144 gundam will have about 4-5 runners, this guy has 10 plus a ridiculous amount of stickers. Just keep this in mind when buying this kit.

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos - 'Banana Split' Edition - PlayStation 4
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos - 'Banana Split' Edition - PlayStation 4
Offered by Video Games Galore
Price: $54.99
98 used & new from $35.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Peelin The Banana, July 23, 2015
Onechanbara is a series that has been around in Japan for 11 years and has 11 games, To date we have seen only 3. The first one was 2009's Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad for the 360, and its sequel Bikini Zombie Slayers for the Wii (both released in North America at the same time) And now 6 years later we have:

Onechanbara Z2 Chaos!

Z2, I'm assuming, picks up were the last OCB game left off, but not to worry, each game has about 15 minutes of plot and the game gives you enough back story to get you caught up if you have never played the series (rival clans fight for what they believe is right, throw in a grand scheme, a heap of zombies, a dash of Vampire, and sworn enemy's that now have to work together and you have Z2) The story in Z2 literally does not make much sense, nor does it have to. After the opening mission you choose which of 6 major locals (stages) to do first and go from there, you get a couple of scenes done in comic book style to move things along.

Needless to say story is not Z2's strong point. Gameplay is. At first glance the gameplay seems like a button masher, however once you grasp the combat system fully you can pull off some pretty amazing combos by timing button presses and switching out characters at the right times. Z2 is a fairly short game, story mode can be completed in 2-4 hours, most stages can be done in 15 minutes, and if your good most bosses go down in under 2 minutes. Outside that you have mission mode which lets you get more gear for your girls, customization is pretty decent here, you can give the girls as little or as much clothes as you want, the Banana Split costumes are a real gag though and good for a few laughs.

Graphics are pretty decent character model wise, everything else is pretty plain early PS3 looking, regular enemies look like high res PS2 models. Voice acting is kind of flat, and then you get Kagura whose over the top, no happy medium here. Music is just as forgettable as the Voice Acting.

The Limited Edition itself is actually really nice, and this was probably a way for XSeed to charge almost full price ($10 under the $70 norm in Canada) for a game that probably didn't cost much to localize in the first place. With that being said, I have always been a fan of XSeed limited editions (they are the modern day Working Designs)and this one is no exception. You get a nice shiny foil and embossed box, on the inside you get the game (with reversible cover) the soundtrack with its own plastic case! (I hate it when you get a soundtrack CD in a crappy paper sleeve, I'm looking at you Atlus and Aksys.)And a nice thick Art book/Story Book (tells you about all the events leading up to Z2.

Overall if you not into the limited edition stuff, I'd wait for a price drop. I wouldn't be surprised to see Z2 drop to $20 sooner rather than later.

Tales of Hearts R (PSVita)
Tales of Hearts R (PSVita)
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $42.90
36 used & new from $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Tales On The Go, March 5, 2015
It's been a good long while since I've written a review about a game, today instead of rambling on I'll just list the pros and cons and elaborate on a few points.

Pros:

+First "true" portable Tales game released in North America (Tales of the World for PSP was not very good at best)
+Easy to use Level Up system (coming off of Xillia 2, this was refreshing)

+The story was good, but not great. The Story lines main focus in the first half was about Love and Emotions, and then in the late half focuses on the save the world thing, I found the first half started out slow but did get better (I was actually enjoying it), then near the last half it kind of sputtered out and never really recovered. The ending sort of makes up for it (in a happy yet sad way) but overall this is probably one of the weaker stories I've seen in a Tales game.

Cons:

-In the last few Tales games we have gotten older (or in some cases more mature) Main characters I'd much rather play an 18 year old Jude or 20 year old Ludger than a 16 year old "naive to the world bumpkin" that is known as Kor (Shingu)

Overall though this would not be a bad purchase if you're a tales fan and want to take in some of that action on the go, or just want a new RPG to put in your Vita.

Highschool of the Dead, Act 30 (Highschool of the Dead Serial)
Highschool of the Dead, Act 30 (Highschool of the Dead Serial)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The End For Highschool Of The Dead?, September 15, 2014
I've said this before in my review of Volume 7 of HSOTD, but I am a huge fan of the series, Act 30 gives you more questions than answers, but gives you a hint at where the story might be going as it was hinted at when the group got to the police station that at some point, certain group members may go their separate ways.

With that being said, We have heard no new news of HSOTD from Japan since 2013, when all that was said was this single volume sold "surprisingly well". This Volume was created to see if there was still interest in the series (By all accounts it looks like there is) and to see if Daisuke still had interest in continuing it (No new news since 2013?). My guess is, that when Shouji finishes Triage X we may finally see a continuation of HSOTD. Highschool of the Dead does deserve at least some type of ending, as it stands now all we have is a terrible cliffhanger as the story is stuck at a real bad spot.

Love in Hell Vol. 3
Love in Hell Vol. 3
by Reiji Suzumaru
Price: $11.99
62 used & new from $1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, Too bad its Over., September 15, 2014
This review is from: Love in Hell Vol. 3 (Paperback)
This is a series I would definitely recommend picking up, I find the story is well done and makes you want to read until the very end (I read all 3 books in one go). The art work and character drawings are really nice and help set the mood.I find Reiji's concept of hell to be very interesting and well thought out. I find the ending was perfect a fitting, if a little rushed. As some reviewers have mentioned, Love in Hell could have went on for at least another volume, as the back half of Volume 3 is very fast paced. Overall though this is something I would definitely read again.

Triage X, Vol. 7
Triage X, Vol. 7
by Shouji Sato
Price: $14.00
49 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Them Coming!, September 14, 2014
This review is from: Triage X, Vol. 7 (Paperback)
Triage X has been my go to manga since Highschool of the Dead went on Hiatus a few years back (Im a fan of the art style). I found the first 4 or 5 volumes to have more fan service than story and was more balls to the wall action than anything else. However these last few volumes have focused on fleshing out the characters and slowly unveiling the story, Volume 7 has probably progressed the main story more than any other volumes so far and has also given us some insight into ampule zero. To my surprise there was really no nudity in this volume, although the darker scenes that are in almost every volume at least once make another appearance here. It seems like Triage X is a series that is coming to a close soon, unless there is some major plot twist that turns the story on its head (I doubt it seeing as this is a rather clear cut plot) this series may actually have an ending! Cant wait for volume 8 in November.

Highschool of the Dead, Vol. 7
Highschool of the Dead, Vol. 7
by Daisuke Satō
Price: $13.97
42 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The End?, September 14, 2014
I've always been a fan of Highschool of the Dead, I purchased each volume individually and then repurchased both of the omnibus's. The series started in 2006 and has been on Hiatus for a total of 4 years, The last time we saw a continuation was in May 2013, and that's where everything went quite. Will we see another volume released? Will HSOTD get a proper ending? These are the biggest questions surrounding the series right now, as we are left with a cliffhanger. The filler Manga Shouji released (Triage X) has already surpassed HSOTD in volumes in Japan, and will do so in North America in November, And by all accounts that series looks like its going to get a proper finish. I hope that one day we will at least get some type of ending for Highschool of the Dead.

Yugioh Legendary Collection 3: Yugi's World Box Trading Card with The Seal of Orichalcos
Offered by Wowzzer
Price: $37.95
101 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cards If You Like The 1st Generation Yu-Gi-Oh!, December 25, 2012
Was looking to get back into collecting again after getting rid of my first binder 8 years ago. Saw this at wal-mart and decided to pick it up. It has great cards for starting a binder or adding to it. From just one box I got some fantastic pulls (Dark Magician of Chaos and Dark Magician Girl were the highlights). Will most likely pick up a few more of these before buying the newer generation stuff. Plus The Seal of Orichalcos is pretty cool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9