Profile for Patrick_91 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Patrick_91 "Patrick" RSS Feed (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Highschool of the Dead, Act 30 (Highschool of the Dead Serial)
Highschool of the Dead, Act 30 (Highschool of the Dead Serial)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The End For Highschool Of The Dead?, September 15, 2014
I've said this before in my review of Volume 7 of HSOTD, but I am a huge fan of the series, Act 30 gives you more questions than answers, but gives you a hint at where the story might be going as it was hinted at when the group got to the police station that at some point, certain group members may go their separate ways.

With that being said, We have heard no new news of HSOTD from Japan since 2013, when all that was said was this single volume sold "surprisingly well". This Volume was created to see if there was still interest in the series (By all accounts it looks like there is) and to see if Daisuke still had interest in continuing it (No new news since 2013?). My guess is, that when Shouji finishes Triage X we may finally see a continuation of HSOTD. Highschool of the Dead does deserve at least some type of ending, as it stands now all we have is a terrible cliffhanger as the story is stuck at a real bad spot.

Love in Hell Vol. 3
Love in Hell Vol. 3
by Reiji Suzumaru
Price: $10.07
60 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, Too bad its Over., September 15, 2014
This review is from: Love in Hell Vol. 3 (Paperback)
This is a series I would definitely recommend picking up, I find the story is well done and makes you want to read until the very end (I read all 3 books in one go). The art work and character drawings are really nice and help set the mood.I find Reiji's concept of hell to be very interesting and well thought out. I find the ending was perfect a fitting, if a little rushed. As some reviewers have mentioned, Love in Hell could have went on for at least another volume, as the back half of Volume 3 is very fast paced. Overall though this is something I would definitely read again.

Triage X, Vol. 7
Triage X, Vol. 7
by Shouji Sato
Price: $12.60
64 used & new from $7.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Them Coming!, September 14, 2014
This review is from: Triage X, Vol. 7 (Paperback)
Triage X has been my go to manga since Highschool of the Dead went on Hiatus a few years back (Im a fan of the art style). I found the first 4 or 5 volumes to have more fan service than story and was more balls to the wall action than anything else. However these last few volumes have focused on fleshing out the characters and slowly unveiling the story, Volume 7 has probably progressed the main story more than any other volumes so far and has also given us some insight into ampule zero. To my surprise there was really no nudity in this volume, although the darker scenes that are in almost every volume at least once make another appearance here. It seems like Triage X is a series that is coming to a close soon, unless there is some major plot twist that turns the story on its head (I doubt it seeing as this is a rather clear cut plot) this series may actually have an ending! Cant wait for volume 8 in November.

Highschool of the Dead, Vol. 7
Highschool of the Dead, Vol. 7
by Daisuke Satō
Price: $13.99
56 used & new from $1.23

5.0 out of 5 stars The End?, September 14, 2014
I've always been a fan of Highschool of the Dead, I purchased each volume individually and then repurchased both of the omnibus's. The series started in 2006 and has been on Hiatus for a total of 4 years, The last time we saw a continuation was in May 2013, and that's where everything went quite. Will we see another volume released? Will HSOTD get a proper ending? These are the biggest questions surrounding the series right now, as we are left with a cliffhanger. The filler Manga Shouji released (Triage X) has already surpassed HSOTD in volumes in Japan, and will do so in North America in November, And by all accounts that series looks like its going to get a proper finish. I hope that one day we will at least get some type of ending for Highschool of the Dead.

Yugioh Legendary Collection 3: Yugi's World Box Trading Card with The Seal of Orichalcos
Offered by MTG Deals
Price: $33.99
31 used & new from $29.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cards If You Like The 1st Generation Yu-Gi-Oh!, December 25, 2012
Was looking to get back into collecting again after getting rid of my first binder 8 years ago. Saw this at wal-mart and decided to pick it up. It has great cards for starting a binder or adding to it. From just one box I got some fantastic pulls (Dark Magician of Chaos and Dark Magician Girl were the highlights). Will most likely pick up a few more of these before buying the newer generation stuff. Plus The Seal of Orichalcos is pretty cool.

Ninja Gaiden 3 Collector's Edition
Ninja Gaiden 3 Collector's Edition
Offered by deal-dude
Price: $54.49
31 used & new from $39.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Collector's Edition But...., November 2, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
(This is a review of the NG3 Collectors Edition contents only, not the game itself)

The Collectors Edition of Ninja Gaiden 3 is pretty nice, the box is a little plain but is sturdy. Once you open the box you get:

1. A retail version of the game (seems to be a common thing with CE's lately)
2. A soundtrack with its own jewel case (Not a cardboard sleeve like most)
3. A softcover artbook (nice colorful pictures, would have been nice if it was a hardcover)
4. A DOA 5 Beta Demo (Which did not work when Ninja Gaiden 3 released.)
5. A separate boxed Ryu Hayabusa and Masked Figure statue fighting each other. (This second box is rather nicely detailed.)

The statue itself is nicely detailed the characters are painted and look similar to how they do in the game, there is an appropriate amount of blood and they are both pretty heavy and look amazing when displayed. The problem here is they come disassembled and can be a pain to set up (you have to slide the sword through Ryu and place Ryu's sword in the Masked figures cut)in some cases the stand was cast incorrectly and only 1 foot on Ryu's side was able to be inserted. Another flaw is that Ryu's sword in most cases is broken where the hilt and blade meet. Some are completely broken, others are only partially (in my case the sword was ripped about 70% of the way.), As soon as you move Ryu's sword to the Masked figures cut the sword will brake. (This happened to me but I was able to balance the blade between the hilt and the Masked figures cut, you cant even tell its broken and saved me from trying to crazy glue the thing.) This in my opinion kills the value of the Collectors Edition, (which is why I took the figures out of the package to display them)and is why I waited to get it at less then a fourth ($38 after tax) of its retail price.

Overall if you absolutely must have this edition, get it cheap as the sword will almost always be broken or ripped.

Tales of Graces f - Playstation 3
Tales of Graces f - Playstation 3
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $34.10
78 used & new from $21.58

5.0 out of 5 stars F for Fantastic!, May 10, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Tales of Graces F (ToG) is the first new tales game we have seen since Tales Of Vesperia back in 2008, ToG was originally released for the Wii and then ported over to the PS3. The graphics actually don't look that bad on the PS3 and the anime cut scenes are nicely done. This time around the skits are all voiced and acted out! (albeit with still pictures) The battle system has stayed mostly the same as vesperia's with the exception that all your actions (bar movement and item useage) are controlled by a CC gauge, this eliminates mana and CC does recover when you take a break by blocking or standing still. This does not make the game any easier than previous tales games I might add as the last part of the game was harder than anything in Tales of the Abyss!

Story wise I really liked ToG, After you beat the main adventure you unlock the lineages and legacy's part of ToG. This is a 10 hour plot tie up and it works really well. If I had one complaint about the story, it would be that everyone's sub plot is tied up nicely with the exception of Hubert and Pascal's, its only done in a wink nudge kind of way and I would have liked to see it done a little better. Music is pretty good but previous tales games had a few more catchy tunes. All in all the main game plus lineages and legacy's will take you anywhere from 50-60 hours to complete, witch is standard tales length.

Overall this ranks as one of my favorite tales games and is definitely a recommended buy!

Record of Agarest War Limited Edition -Xbox 360
Record of Agarest War Limited Edition -Xbox 360
Offered by pandorascube
Price: $87.00
19 used & new from $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Long and Enjoyable, December 4, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I told myself I wasn't going to review Record of Agarest War (ROAW) until I was finished it, well I still haven't done that yet but figure I am close enough to the end that my review is still valid.

First and foremost ROAW was done on a tight budget, all the voices are in Japanese and there are some spelling errors throughout the game (although nothing that ruins the game) The game is a SRPG similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea with lots of anime flair, on top of that ROAW blends in some dating sim elements and lets you marry a female and have a child that will continue to fight the forces of evil, there are a total of 5 generations in ROAW that spans over 100 years (you can marry a female in each generation, but the game finishes on the 5th generation). Having 5 generations in a game is pretty neat and unique, however the major drawback is that this makes the game very long, in ROAW you do battle after battle on a map (you move to "hostile" points on a map) only stopping by towns to resupply or create new items, in between battles you get event scenes in which the story is told (the story is actually really good!) I'm on the last parts of the 5th generation and I have already put 130 hours into the game. I got ¾ of the way past the 3rd generation and had to take a break for a couple of months, I suspect most gamers won't finish ROAW in one go, this is more of a slow burn type of game that you comeback to once or twice before you finish it. The one complaint I have about ROAW is that the music get recycled way too much.

A word on the "Really naughty limited edition" I think that this edition is unique although not necessarily worth the price people are asking for it, the box is very detailed and nice to look at, although it is very flimsy, barely able to hold all the contents of the limited edition (which is 2 items) and will almost certainly be damaged in shipping. The mouse pad is a great "gag" item and features Vira-Lorr (a very early major character in the game) and her inflated breasts in which you rest you wrist - this was by far the item that got the most attention by gamers online), and the pillow case which is detailed although would look better as a wall scroll. And a soundtrack. That comprises the "Really naughty limited edition".

Dead or Alive Dimensions
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $19.97
51 used & new from $11.57

5.0 out of 5 stars One More Time, One More Fight, December 4, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been a fan of Dead or Alive (DOA) since DOA 3 released for the Xbox in 2001. Since then I've played them all and have been longing for DOA to go portable, after the dull DOA Paradise released for the PSP I had lost all hope in DOA ever becoming portable until I seen DOA Dimensions for the 3DS (it's actually why I purchased a 3DS). Dimensions is just as fun and addicting as the console versions, and offers the biggest character roster yet with a total of 25 playable characters. In Dimensions there is a total of 10 play modes the main one is Chronicle mode, this tells the story of all 4 DOA's and brings you up to speed with what has happened in the series so far. All the CG's used in the previous games have been reused here . Unfortunately if you don't have any idea about the DOA universe Chronicle mode's story will make little, if any, sense to you. Chronicle mode does not take very long to beat, about 3-4 hours. After that you have survival mode, arcade mode, and tag team which are all very fun and get harder with each course, after you beat a course you unlock either different costumes, or different portraits for all the characters. You also have to work to unlock the roster list as you only have 5 people available to you at the start of the game.

Graphically Dimensions is stunning, I honestly could not believe that this little handheld was so powerful, Dimensions graphics sits at around the Dreamcast level and runs smooth in 2D and 3D although the 3D does make the game run slower. I had a fun time with 3D as it was something different but liked the 2D better (things move faster.) Music is also pretty good but there was nothing catchy or overly memorable, voice acting was also pretty good, the voices can be set to either English or Japanese with subtitles on or off. The English voice acting is decent enough but all the battle cry's are still in Japanese. Overall this is a great first time portable entry for DOA which I recommend to any 3DS owner who likes fighters or DOA in general.

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Offered by eknight-media
Price: $39.81
34 used & new from $4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Fun And Addicting Game, September 29, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the best at playing fighting games, never have and probably never will. I bought Darkstalkers because it was too good a deal to pass up (it cost me what 8 coin-op credits would get you.) So I figured worst case It would look good in the game cabinet. For anyone who didn't know, Darkstalkers is a 2D fighting game made by Capcom, its similar to Street Fighter but with monsters from all those Halloween movies from the past (you will see characters designed after Dracula, Frankenstein, Werewolves etc...). Obviously Darkstalkers is not Capcom's priority in fighting games hence it not known very well here in North America (my first experience with Darkstalkers was with Capcom Fighting Evolution in 2004).

When I first put Darkstalkers into my PSP I tried playing on normal with Morrigan, I made it up to the last fight and got whooped over and over again (my problem lies in not being able to push the buttons fast enough to pull off the super moves, I'm much better with a arcade stick) So I went into the options and put the control scheme to easy and found a very enjoyable fighting game. With the simplified difficulty control scheme I was pulling off combos and smacking the AI around like a pro.

DarkStalkers Chronicles Includes the first 3 Darkstalkers games as well as all the endings from those games, though they are low quality. Darkstalkers Chronicles also includes what's called a tower mode, you have to travel 100 floors in this mode all the while your being thrown handicaps (no blocking for example) while traveling the 100 floors you unlock pictures from all the Darkstalkers games. There is also a local multiplayer mode, and a Wi-Fi mode, but the Wi-Fi mode does not work, the option is there but nothing happens when you select it. The graphics in Darkstalkers is done in the typical Capcom anime style which is some really high quality 2D stuff, everything is done in great detail, I really enjoy looking at it, the music is also pretty fun to listen to as it is the exact same music that plays on the arcade versions. You can see all Darkstalkers has to offer in around 6 hours. That's all the endings, openings, and pictures unlocked.

Overall a must buy for any Capcom fighting fan.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9