Profile for K. Harris > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Harris "Film aficionado" RSS Feed (StudioCityGuy33 at Yahoo dot com)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Stufz Stuffed Burger Press Hamburger Grill BBQ Patty Maker Juicy As Seen on Tv
Stufz Stuffed Burger Press Hamburger Grill BBQ Patty Maker Juicy As Seen on Tv

3.0 out of 5 stars An Amusing (And Delicious) One Time Experience, But Promises A Bit More Than It Serves Up, June 10, 2014
I am endlessly fascinated by the ubiquitous As-Seen-On-TV line of products that offer miraculous inventions that you've never thought of but simply have to own. I'll admit it, I'm a sucker. The wackier the product, the more appeal it has for me (yes, I even bought the Bacon Bowl). As someone who has actually made stuffed hamburgers by hand, I was fascinated by the idea behind the StufZ Burger Press. I watched the video by chef Brian Duffy and convinced myself that this would be an invaluable tool in my cooking arsenal. Let's just say that I made one darn fine burger on my first outing with Stufz, but I'm not sure that the experience wasn't more effort than it was worth.

First, I went to the store to pick out just the filling necessary for an incredible burger. There are a lot of rather gross ideas available, but I'm more of a traditionalist. My ingredients included Canadian Bacon, fresh spinach, Feta cheese crumbles, and Swiss cheese. My spouse went a little wilder with a BBQ pulled pork filling. We used the Burger Press as indicated, but it's not the easiest tool to manipulate being constructed of rather cheap and lightweight plastic. I guess the experience was fun and creative, though. The principle problem with the device is that neither of us could make the perfect seam. We still had to finagle the burger with our hands to close up the edges. So I felt it would have been just as effective to use my hands as I had in previous attempts to make homemade stuffed burgers.

End result?

We loved our burgers, to be sure, but probably wouldn't use the StufZ with any regularity (if at all). It was fun for a one time experience or maybe for a kid's party, but it's not something you'll want to fool with frequently. As they say, I'll try anything once. But, in this case, that may be quite literal as the StufZ was probably more effort than it was worth. KGHarris, 4/14.

Note: I was offered a sample of this product in which to provide an honest review.

HomeFlav Wooden Photo Frame Picture Frame 3.5x5 inches
HomeFlav Wooden Photo Frame Picture Frame 3.5x5 inches
Offered by HomeFlav
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Drab And Poorly Put Together: Check Your Local Dollar Store For Something Similar And Cheaper, June 10, 2014
You can never go wrong with a picture frame, in my opinion. I didn't expect this HomeFlav 3.5" x 5" frame to be particularly unique, but I guess I didn't expect it to be so drab either. It is, literally, like something that you might find at the dollar store or in a bargain sale. Even the little cardboard box it is packaged in reminds me of what you'd find at a mass retailer's clearance shelves.

The frame, itself, is rather standard. It appears to be of decent construction, but even the rounded edges (where the different pieces meet) are rough to the touch. Like after assembly, they didn't properly sand it. As I said, if you picked this up for a couple of bucks at the discount store, you'd undoubtedly be satisfied. I'd be less satisfied at the current selling price here (especially with the costs and time associated with having it sent). An inexpensive frame that you can get elsewhere for less. KGHarris, 6/14.

Scotch Color Coding Tape 690 Red, 48 mm x 66 m, Conveniently Packaged (Pack of 1)
Price: $20.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A High Visibility Tape From The Reliable Scotch 3M Label, June 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm always a big fan of the Scotch 3M line. As tapes and adhesives go, I think it is one of the most consistently reliable brands on the market. I wanted a roll of red Color Coding Tape for my workplace. I needed a high visibility product and the bright red worked out perfectly. While the package says this roll is for small boxes, bags, and tins, I used it to border high priority information on a bulletin board and also to add tabs to certain files for convenient look-up. The tape has a decent stickiness, but is not meant to supplant packaging tape.

I really don't know what else to say about a roll of tape, but I found this a useful addition for my workplace (although I can't think of a practical reason I would have used it at home). KGHarris, 6/14.

BelleSha Water Resistant Cosmetic Bag Blue
BelleSha Water Resistant Cosmetic Bag Blue
Offered by BellaSHA
Price: $10.01
2 used & new from $10.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A No-Frills Cosmetic Bag That Is Effective If Not Especially Unique, June 10, 2014
The BelleSha Water Resistant Cosmetic Bag does exactly what it should do and that's all you can ask. I find it difficult to rave about this bag, however, or maybe any cosmetic bag This is just a basic bag that serves its purpose without being anything particularly special. The quilted bag is a nice medium size (10 inches by 6 1/2 inches with expansion to about 3 inches) and can hold quite a bit for convenient travel. Inside, there are a couple of plastic pockets to help organize things but this is basically a carryall. I do like the vibrant blue color, and it does withstand and repel water well.

Overall, if you need a cosmetic bag, this will serve your purpose. It's not fancy, but it is lightweight and practical. If you're not looking for something expensive or elaborate, this bag is suitable for carry-on luggage and for short trips. KGHarris, 6/14.

Tide High Efficiency Liquid Laundry Detergent, Coldwater Clean Fresh Scent, 48 Loads, 92 Fl Oz
Price: $11.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Scent And Good Cleaning/Rinsing Results: A Satisfactory Laundry Detergent, June 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'd gotten away from using Tide products over the last several years. My spouse has extremely sensitive skin and the traditional Tide detergent can be somewhat inflammatory to that condition. We wash almost all of our wearables in cold water, though, and I was lured to try Tide Coldwater Clean for that purpose. The bottle comes in a 92 fluid ounce size and claims to do 48 wash loads. I've found the product to be fairly condensed, though, and so I don't always use the required amount. So, for me, it will last a bit longer.

My experience with this Tide has been positive. It does seem to clean well in cold water and it rinses appropriately. I got the Fresh Scent which is just about perfect. I don't like anything floral or overbearing. I like for the laundry to smell clean, not perfumey. Best of all, I switched out the detergent and my spouse has not complained about itchiness at all. I can't really rave about a laundry detergent. If a practical products works, I'll give it four stars. But I would seek this out and purchase it, so I'm pleased with its performance. KGHarris, 6/14.

Yazy Craft Sparkle Balls 50 pcs
Yazy Craft Sparkle Balls 50 pcs
Offered by eRiver
Price: $8.97
3 used & new from $8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A Crafting PomPom Embellished With Tinsel: Add A Bit Of Sparkle To Your Homemade Art Work, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Yazy Craft Sparkle Balls 50 pcs
After reading some of the critical reviews on the Yazy Craft Sparkle Balls in the 50 piece package, I was a little perplexed. One reviewer said they weren't good for their cat to play with. However, others said this was a terrific selling point. For the record, I probably wouldn't recommend it. Another said they weren't appropriate for clothing. I would have thought these points were rather obvious, but let me clarify exactly what these are. The Sparkle Balls are crafting pom poms. They were meant to be used for crafting projects specifically. Would you attach a typical crafting pom pom to an item of clothing and expect it to endure beyond one wear? I wouldn't. Sorry, just have to get that off my chest.

So a lot of projects require pom poms. We build various critters with them all the time and use them to embellish and decorate other homemade works of art. I really didn't know what to expect from the Sparkle Balls, but I found them quite nice. The traditional pom pom has been accentuated with bright tinsel for a really cool effect. There is a variety in pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, and white. And my little crafters have fallen in love with these guys. Not really a complex idea, but so simple and ingenious. Really dresses up a project with a bit of sparkle. And who doesn't like that? KGHarris, 6/14.

Ice Ball Mold - Steal These MASSIVE Ice Ball Makers * 70% OFF TODAY ONLY! * Get The Biggest, #1 Rated, Extra-Thick Silicone, No-Leak Ice Ball Maker by DeluxIce. Serve the Most HUGE 2.5+ Inch Ice Cube Sphere Balls at Your Next Party. Perfect in Whiskey, Scotch, Wine, or Any Beverage, These Molds Make Round Spheres That Melt Slower than Tray Cubes. Our Customers LOVE This Item, And We Back It With A LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE... Or Your Money Back!
Offered by Amazing Fair
Price: $34.97
2 used & new from $9.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Novelty Ice Cubes Ideal For Cocktail Hour: They Look Like Eyeballs In A Pitcher Of Bloody Mary, June 10, 2014
In the last year or so, I have seen a real proliferation of fancy ice molds hit the market place. While I don't necessarily think that making distinctive ice is a new idea, it does seem have become quite popular on the bar circuit. Having a fully stocked bar area (with probably way too much stuff, if truth be told), I was enthusiastic to try the DeluxIce brand Deluxe Ice Ball makers. The set has two individual silicone molds to make spherical balls with the diameter of roughly 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Needless to say, these ice balls are really large and not for every cocktail. Over the weekend, though, we made a collection of drinks and found that these were terrific in a pitcher of Bloody Mary (where they looked like eyeballs). They would also be especially appealing in punch bowls as well.

The instructions are simple enough. The two silicone halves seal together with a small hole on the top. Because ice expands, it suggests leaving a little space at the top. I did this, but didn't leave quite enough space. My first try was not the prettiest, to be sure! The mold pushed itself apart somewhat and my actual ball was pretty rough around the edges. Of course, once it was plopped in liquid, no one could tell the difference. Also, I would recommend placing them in liquid and not just dropping them into a glass or pitcher. A friend had his divide into two pieces, but I think that's because he banged it into the bottom of his glass first. I didn't have any such issues.

Are the DeluxeIce Deluxe Ice Ball Makers an essential product? No. But they are cool, a nice gift for someone who has everything. I'd watch pricing, though, the non-sale list price seems rather exorbitant for the two spheres. I'd look for a discounted price point that makes sense for your budget. They were a hit at my house for their novelty factor and I would certainly use them again. Easy to use, easy to clean. KGHarris, 6/14.

We Always Lie to Strangers
We Always Lie to Strangers
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Branson Stands As A Microcosm For A Troubled Economic World In This Slice-Of-Life Documentary, June 6, 2014
My in-laws live in Springfield, Missouri and so I've become indoctrinated to the community of Branson. I've gone there many times through the years and have seen the city evolve in innumerable ways while basically staying true to its surface values. I was intrigued to view the documentary "We Always Lie To Strangers" because I'm inherently interested in Branson (I'm more of a city dweller by nature, so it's a strange and unique world to me) and I was fascinated by the title. The reveal of the title's meaning isn't given until the movie's final scene and really doesn't have that much relevance to the movie that has unfolded before it. I think that the film might have benefited from exploring that angle a bit more concretely from a historical perspective. It's thrown away more as a punch line than as a way of life (when, in truth, it is especially intrinsic to the nature of Branson as an up-and-coming entertainment Mecca). Instead, "We Always Lie To Strangers" approaches Branson as a microcosm for the topical events unfolding across a larger arena.

Your enjoyment of "We Always Lie to Strangers" will invariably be tied to your expectations. While the movie does give you a little history and a little entertainment, it is primarily a collection of personal stories that were recorded over a period of years.

Among the highlights, we spend quite a bit of time with the mayor as she works against the downturn in the economy. We set up shop with a new show during its opening and subsequent struggle. We follow the tale of a divorced dad who performs in one of the shows as he tries to navigate his lifestyle (he's involved in a same sex relationship) within the conservative values of the town he loves. And we see how some of the more successful acts and performance families are getting by today. None of these story arcs has a particular beginning or end, this is just a glimpse into the tumultuous world in which we live. Branson, in many ways, is a surrogate to any other small conservative town feeling the economic pinch. But because their industry is so service oriented, so tourist driven, it's a little bit trickier to navigate for some.

In the end, I don't know that I understand Branson any better than I did before watching the movie but that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. In particular, the mayor and the struggling dad resonated on the most personal level with me. It was fun to get a behind-the-scenes peek at some of the shows, but what I remember best is a sense of sadness. There aren't happy endings in "We Always Lie To Strangers." There are just regular folks trying to get by. I was disappointed in some of the choices made, impressed by others, but that's just like life. As a warning, this may not be the movie you expect if you're looking for the rollicking history of Branson. It does, however, strike a little closer to home than you might think. KGHarris, 6/14.

Snackeez Cup-| the All-in-one, Go Anywhere Snacking Solution! As Seen on Tv Assorted (1 CUP ONLY)
Offered by D & S WEB MART
Price: $13.08
22 used & new from $10.89

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solution To A Problem You Didn't Know You Had: Another As-Seen-On TV Innovation That Is Cool If Not Essential, June 6, 2014
Snackeez! is either one of the silliest products I've seen recently or one of the most brilliant. The idea behind the multi-use cup is that now you can have both your snack and your drink all in one portable container. Yes, flip open a cover and nibble on some gold fish while your sip your soda through the straw. And all while using just ONE HAND! Astounding, huh?

You fill the cup about 3/4 of the way with your chosen beverage, then push the snack cup into the top of the plastic glass. Into that, you can put a few of your favorite treats. Now you're ready to go!

Pros:
Design: The pink and turquoise design is unique and colorful (as are the other color combinations).
Grip: I like the rubberized grip on the cup so you can get a good hold.

Cons:
Space: Not a ton of space. If you have ice in your drink, this really doesn't end up holding much liquid. And it only works for a light snacker.

I initially thought this was an innovative enough idea, but it would be more useful for a day at an amusement park or the zoo. But it doesn't have the hold capacity to last for extended periods. Overall, though, I'm getting some use from the Snackeez! While it has a novelty factor, though, I don't think that it's a must have product. KGHarris, 6/14.

Quartet 4-Count Broad Dry-Erase Marker Kit, 1 Eraser, 2 oz. Spray Cleaner (51-659672Q)
Price: $11.38
7 used & new from $5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A Conveniently Packaged Dry Erase Supply Kit, June 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's hard for me to rave about a practical product that does exactly what it should do, so I won't. The Quartet Dry-Erase Marker Kit has everything you need to supply your Dry-Erase board. Within the set, there is a 1.68 ounce bottle of cleaner, an eraser, and four markers (black, blue, red, green). It is not the fanciest set imaginable, nor does it have to be.

The markers don't have a strong smell and clean-up is easy enough. I might have liked a few different size options (some of my dry-erase boards) require an especially fine tip, but there is certainly value here for the cost. An easy recommendation if you need what the set contains. KGHarris, 6/14.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20