Profile for K. Harris > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Harris "Film aficionado" RSS Feed (StudioCityGuy33 at Yahoo dot com)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SmartLab Toys Room Defender
SmartLab Toys Room Defender
Price: $31.53
6 used & new from $24.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A Programmable Entry System That Will Actually Engage Your Child's Brain, September 19, 2014
This review is from: SmartLab Toys Room Defender (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a supporter of educational toys, I have been a huge advocate of the SmartLabs brand for many years. With so many instantly disposable offerings on the toy market these days, I like to see something that will stimulate young minds, encourage active thinking, and endure beyond one cursory play session. The SmartLab Toys Room Defender is geared to engage those with an interest in technology, specifically as it relates to programming. As such, I think that it is a success at what it is attempting to do. Will it be a good fit for every child? Absolutely not. It is intended for kids with a genuine curiosity, interest in learning, and the patience to spend a bit of time of any given project. I wish these phrases applied to every child, but we all know the realities. The Room Defender is an ideal way to actually spend quality time with your children as well.

The Room Defender is mounted on your child's door but don't worry, it's not a difficult procedure. Rated 10+, the Room Defender has a pretty intensive set of programming instructions. We went through everything on our first use to understand all the possible combinations. The Room Defender operates on a series of programmable If/Then commands. If you aren't familiar with this concept, it works something like this:

IF someone presses the doorbell, THEN a chime goes off
IF someone opens the door uninvited, THEN an alarm sounds
IF someone enters a secret code, THEN access is granted
IF someone uses a swipe card, THEN a prerecorded message is played

These are but a few examples. The Room Defender has any number of viable combinations. There are flashing lights and obnoxious sirens. How long do you think you'll love that? It allows for different recorded messages to be played in different circumstances. It also will take an incoming message. You can set secret codes, secret knocks, and (as I mentioned above) even swipe cards. The experience is completely customizable and can be constantly altered. My favorite: you can even determine if your security has been breached while you were away. Overall, this is an incredibly well thought-out toy.

The Room Defender is an incredibly engaging device that will hold your child's interest for many hours (assuming he/she is the right fit for this type of activity). My only reservation is in how long this appeal lasts. Once the initial honeymoon period is over, how often will your kids really use this? I'm not sure. I think the message function will be used indefinitely, but will they constantly be reprogramming and digging into the code manual for new variations? I doubt it, to be honest. But even so, there is much more use to be gotten from the Room Defender than most of the toys you've accumulated in your junk pile! A definite and easy recommendation for your little one who wants to use his/her brain at play time. KGHarris, 9/14.

Benson Mills Prego Waffleweave Fabric Tablecloth, White, 60-Inch-by-84-Inch
Benson Mills Prego Waffleweave Fabric Tablecloth, White, 60-Inch-by-84-Inch
Price: $22.92
2 used & new from $20.63

3.0 out of 5 stars A Tablecloth That Comes Across As Inexpensive In Both Texture And Appearance, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've been doing a bit more entertaining lately and I was looking for a table linen to dress up our dining area for fancier occasions. When I saw this Prego Italian Waffle Weave Tablecloth, I thought it might be a good fit for our needs. The cloth that I received is 60" by 84" and I don't have any particular complaints about the sizing (as it seems others have). Although I haven't done physical measurements on the piece, it fits as it was intended to on my table. The cloth is a 40% poly and 60% cotton blend, and must be cared for appropriately. It was intended to be washed in cold on the gentle cycle with a low tumble dry, Depending on how messy your guests can get, the light coloring of the fabric may not be able to withstand staining (but many tablecloths offer the same concerns).

In all honesty, though, I am not a huge fan of the lightweight material or of the design. Although the waffle weave looks subtle, it is really rather bold when seen across a large table. It also has a distinct sheen that I had not anticipated. Part of the issue of shopping online is that you can't physically inspect something, you have to rely on images. Had I the opportunity to feel the material and see the pattern up close, I don't think I would have selected this in the store. I realize this is an issue of aesthetics. You may love everything I hated about this cloth because taste varies from person to person. But I thought the cloth came across as inexpensive both in texture and in appearance. The waffle weave design reminded me of wash rags. I don't know why, I mush have had old waffle weave dish rags growing up. I'm sure with the right table settings, you could make this look elegant enough. For me, though, it just didn't match up to my personal taste when I thought it would from looking at the picture. KGHarris, 9/14.

OXO Good Grips 8-Inch Chef Knife
OXO Good Grips 8-Inch Chef Knife
Price: $12.99
7 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love OXO Good Grips: An All Purpose Knife For Casual Home Use, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a huge fan of the OXO brand and have a kitchen populated with just about every variety of gadget that they manufacture. The Good Grips label offers affordable and well designed products that we absolutely love. I will admit, however, that they are not necessary a luxury or premium brand. They are what I would consider a functional product, not high end at all. That's what I love about them. So I was surprised when I saw that they had come out with an 8-inch Chef Knife. Why? Because in shopping for a Chef Knife particularly, this is where most real kitchen enthusiasts will splurge on quality blades. In some ways, I think a Chef Knife should be, by nature, a premium selection. It is meant to endure and be passed on through families and that is not really the OXO image.

Having said that, this is still a perfectly acceptable knife to add to your collection. The handle, as you might expect, is comfortable and sturdy. The size of the knife is also terrific and surprisingly lightweight. The stainless steel blade is appropriately sharp upon arrival and functions well. Just keep in mind that the price range for knives varies tremendously. This is an affordable option. The Chef Knife moniker brings to mind professional cutlery, but this was definitely intended for more casual home use. KGHarris, 9/14.

BIC Kids Pencil - Pink Barrel, (1.3 mm), 1-Count
BIC Kids Pencil - Pink Barrel, (1.3 mm), 1-Count
Price: $3.49
2 used & new from $3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Made For Smaller Kids, But Better Suited For Someone A Bit Older, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've seen this Bic Kids mechanical pencil (in either pink or blue) set listed anywhere from 3.50 to 10.75. Now don't get me wrong, I think this item is really terrific. But it is designed for children over the age of four. I'm simply not going to make a huge financial investment to send my little one off to pre-school or elementary class with this cool pencil because I know it will be lost in about 2 hours. A five year old needs affordable supplies that can be easily replaced. On the other hand, an older and more responsible child (maybe in junior high) would probably like this as well (minus the clunky eraser). I just wanted to mention the monetary aspect of this Bic product. If it does seem like something suitable to your needs, make sure to comparison shop the prices. Don't get robbed!

On to the mechanical pencil itself. The primary feature that makes this kid friendly is that the pencil has a raised ridge to help teach proper finger placement. I suppose that is a nice enough idea but, again, this isn't the item I would use to teach basic writing skills. That said, the pencil is well designed and appears durable. The set comes with a nice amount of refill lead, a huge (and not particularly effective eraser) and a few stickers. It is a handsome set that is adaptable for either right handed or left handed users.

My final judgement comes down to two factors:
1) Age: I just don't see the 4+ as being a legitimate guide. You don't want to teach writing with a thin mechanical pencil lead. I see this being used by much older students.
2) Price: At the low end of the range I mentioned, I can see that this might be attractive. At the higher end, it's insane! KGHarris, 9/14.

SmartLab Toys The Inhuman Squishy Zombie
SmartLab Toys The Inhuman Squishy Zombie
Price: $25.98
9 used & new from $20.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Brains! This Zombie Takes Brains AND Eats Them: A Rare Toy That Is Both Educational And Entertaining, September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am notoriously hard when grading toys these days. So much junk has flooded the marketplace, I hate the idea of spending money on something that offers a few minutes of interest. How many games or toys do you have that got only one use just to end up in the scrap pile? I've got plenty! That said, I am a champion of educational toys. Having a degree in Biology, I have always tried to support items that were a combination of fun and instruction. Even better is when you can hide the lessons within the context of the toy! The reliable SmartLab Toys brand has struck gold with the impossibly clever The Inhuman Squishy Zombie. Capitalizing on our love of the undead, this toy expertly straddles the line between education and entertainment.

The Inhuman Squishy Zombie combines biology with horror lore to create a toy that functions on multiple levels. Included in the set:

12-inch zombie model and base
4 Squishy organs
Posable arms with
 removable squishy flesh
Detachable limbs
24-page graphic novel
Instruction Sheet

Why do I love The Inhuman Squishy Zombie? The graphic novel leads our young scientist to uncover the mysteries of the outbreak and the infection. They are given instructions to perform various inquiries and experiments using the model zombie. Not only is this a good introduction to the scientific method, it's just plain cool! But while a lot of educational toys are spent once a couple of experiments are done, the Inhuman Squishy Zombie has a more enduring appeal. The zombie model is appropriately gruesome. Kids will love pulling off the flesh, pulling apart the zombie and playing with his organs. Once he has stopped being educational, he simply becomes an awesome horror creature to play with. And I loved that the lessons are set up with a graphic novel as we are big Walking Dead enthusiasts. In the end, I obviously loved this guy. Kudos to SmartLabs Toys. As I said, once we did the science, we still kept the zombie around for fun. What a bonus value. KGHarris, 9/14.

Disney/Pixar Cars Piston Cup Double Loop Challenge
Disney/Pixar Cars Piston Cup Double Loop Challenge
Price: $34.99
6 used & new from $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Cool In Theory, But This Repetitive Action Toy Won't Have Long Lasting Appeal, September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the enduring fascination with the Cars franchise, we have an endless supply of branded toys that tie-in to the movies. The Piston Cup Double Loop Challenge isn't as much of a stand alone toy as it is an extension of Mattel's Riplash Racer enterprise. If you and your kids are already invested in the Riplash Racer product line, this may be an appealing addition to your collection. Personally, we found the toy to be both repetitive and unexciting. Why? It requires no amount of skill or imagination. It just allows you to do the same thing over and over and over and over.

Assembly: The set comes dissembled and it takes about ten minutes to get all the pieces in place and the decals put on. As usual, we had fun putting the track together. We always love placing stickers! The ten minutes of fun we had putting this together probably equaled the time we actually had fun with the toy!

Play Time: The set includes only one car, Lightning McQueen, so you already have to own another car just to maximize the fun potential. In all likelihood, your kids will want you to get at least one additional car (the track holds up to four) before you even get this set-up. So if you don't like this item (as I didn't), there is even more of a cost investment out the window. The two cars line up at the starting platform, each has their own bit of track and loop. You place the ripcord starter through their wheels. When you pull it, they shoot around the loop and may or may not land on the winner's platform. The entire process of play takes about 5 seconds and nothing you do really alters the outcome. I like a real challenge where you can effect the winner either through strategy or skill. For an added bonus, you can raise the loops into a stunt position. Your cars will then shoot through the loops, hit the flags and the track plops back into its original position. Not particularly fascinating.

Pros: Might be more fun if you have a lot of Riplash Racer merchandise.

Cons: Expensive add-ons for other cars, track wobbles, no skill or strategy, extremely repetitive.

Once we did this a few times, seriously not even 10 minutes, it had already lost its luster. You just do the same thing over and over and it's not that fun or impressive. Mind-numbingly repetitious and unimaginative, not a recommendation from me. KGHarris, 9/14.

Tomcat Household Pest Glue Boards (For Mice, Roaches, Insects, Scorpions, and Spiders, 4 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Price: $3.49
4 used & new from $3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A Standard Issue Glue Trap Good For Small Critters: Comparing Four TomCat Pest Control Products, September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having battled with unwanted critters in several of my homes, I have quite a bit of experience with traditional mouse traps as well as other types of glue traps. For me, the snapping mousetrap has always been a hit or miss proposition, but I have found success with glue traps. Sometimes it's about luck and sometimes it's about outsmarting the mouse. While I look at some of the more negative reviews having to do with these types of products, I have to wonder whether or not the users were expecting a miracle product. If you want a more comprehensive solution, perhaps you should try an exterminator. But when you attempt a home remedy, it's a little bit like fishing--sometimes you hook a big one, sometimes he'll get a way, and sometimes he'll just grab your bait. It's not an exact science and nor does it really solve the issue if you have a real infestation.

I had the opportunity to try four TomCat pest control products and here is a quick run down on my observations:

TomCat Mouse Traps (3 Stars): Very much the expected and rather inexpensive mouse trap almost everyone is familiar with. Packaged in a set of two, these are extremely lightweight mouse traps that have the standard spring mechanism. In truth, I hate these mouse traps (not just TomCat, any of these cheap wooden units) in general as I am constantly in fear of having them snap on me when I'm setting them. But TomCat is just as viable a brand as any of the others. It's kind of hard to mess up this design. There is an odd baiting station that looks like cheese. If you smear something soft (peanut butter) as your bait, you'll be less likely to have your mouse abscond with a treat they can snag and run.

TomCat Heavy Duty Mouse Trap (4 Stars): This one is pretty frightening in appearance, looks almost like a bear trap for rodents. Also packaged with two units, I had never seen this design before, so was intrigued to give it a go. Although these look scarier, they are a lot less unreliable in the baiting and setting process. A mouth of death opens up when you push down on the lever side (like a big clothes pin with a jaw full of teeth). You can hold it open easily as you bait the trap and it sets up cleanly. While the less expensive traps can go off inexplicably, I found these a bit sturdier. It won't snap shut unless there is a reason to!

TomCat Household Pest Glue Trap (3 Stars): I really like glue type traps because they work for a plethora of pests. You place them under furniture, generally, against the wall and any creature brave enough to cross its path becomes stuck. These are obviously easy to set, you just pick out the spot and set them down. They are include two in a set. One thing I didn't like about the TomCat is how open they are. I guess I'm just more used to covered traps, so I don't have to look at a graveyard of insects. This is made for smaller creepy crawlies and I snared many a water bug and spider. It is intended for smaller catches, but I think it would work on a typical mouse as well depending if they really got onto the board fully.

TomCat Glue Traps (3 1/2 Stars): I gave this an extra point for enhanced stickiness, but it is just as unsightly as the other pest trap. This was is supposed to be strong enough to catch both mice and rats. If that is your intended goal, I'd definitely leave the trap along the wall where you know they travel. Mice and rats are pretty smart, but travel across basic paths so it's all about placement. Plus: Super Strong and easy to determine when you have a catch. Minus: Very unappetizing to have a live mouse adhered to one of these just waiting for them to expire. KGHarris, 9/14.

Tomcat Rat Size Glue Traps (Original Formula, 2 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Tomcat Rat Size Glue Traps (Original Formula, 2 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Price: $3.99
8 used & new from $3.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Glue Trap Intended For Larger Creatures: Comparing Four TomCat Pest Control Products, September 18, 2014

Tomcat Wooden Mouse Traps (2 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Tomcat Wooden Mouse Traps (2 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Price: $1.49
12 used & new from $1.42

3.0 out of 5 stars A Basic No-Frills Mouse Trap: Comparing Four TomCat Pest Control Products, September 18, 2014

Tomcat Heavy Duty Mouse Trap (2 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Tomcat Heavy Duty Mouse Trap (2 Pack) - Not Sold in AK
Price: $3.99
10 used & new from $3.18

4.0 out of 5 stars An Elevated Death Trap For Mice, Safer To Bait And Set: Comparing Four TomCat Pest Control Products, September 18, 2014

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20