Profile for J. LaMarche > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. LaMarche RSS Feed

BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery
by Erin McKenna
Price: $18.71
178 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars So much promise, yet so disappointing, January 13, 2010
I received this dessert cookbook for my recent birthday and thought that the recipes sounded delicious. I do not have celiac disease, but cooking gluten free and just having more vegan dessert recipes was welcome. Several months passed and finally my wife and I decided to try one of the recipes and the red velvet cupcakes caught our eye, along with the vanilla frosting. After buying everything we needed, much of which was expensive, we proceeded to make the frosting and cupcakes. Tasting is believing, and now I believe this may possibly be the worst cupcakes I have ever had. The cake was dry and did not have an appealing taste. The frosting did not become creamy and had an unappealing texture. The remaining cupcakes and frosting went into the compost bin; we wasted our time and money.

Doing a little exploring and searching, my wife discovered that other people also did not enjoy this cookbook and that the recipes did not match what is actually made at the bakery. This is shameful and a pity. We are not going to try any of the other recipes in the cookbook.

We have never had a problem making the awesome cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, which I recommend completely. Some of the recipes need a little adjusting depending on your tastes, but the cupcakes have all been amazing and the ingredients are simple and much cheaper.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule

Apurimac 1
Apurimac 1
19 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful!!, August 5, 1998
This review is from: Apurimac 1 (Audio CD)
Apurimac is Cusco's debut album in the U.S., and it doesn't disappoint. The music is inspiring, and breathtaking. The Peruvian flutes, drums, and other instruments all provide an enchanting experience. This is a CD I will enjoy forever, and will never tire of. Many of the songs have fast tempos, while others are slower and more peaceful, and there are absolutely no lyrics to any of the songs, just beautiful instruments. Overall there should be a song for everyone on this CD. Some songs worthy of mention are Apurimac, Inca Dance, and Fighting Inca. This CD is a treasure, as are all other Cusco CDs. It is too bad CDs like this are so rare to find! If you enjoy this CD, and are looking for more, try Apurimac 2 and 3, and also Ring of the Dolphin. All of these CDs are wonderful too.