Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Profile for R > Reviews

Browse

R's Profile

Customer Reviews: 806

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
How to Draw Manga Characters: A Beginner's Guide
How to Draw Manga Characters: A Beginner's Guide
by J.C. Amberlyn
Price: $14.87

5.0 out of 5 stars The best intro to Manga I've seen - a perfect place to start, well taught and encouraging, April 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't do professional Manga - I think the market for these books is composed almost entirely of enthusiastic amateurs who draw for their own satisfaction. However, I own two dozen or so books on different aspects of drawing Manga and this is one of the better volumes. I wish I'd had this when I was starting out because it presents the basics in a MUCH more intuitive way than the books that were available 5 years ago when I first got interested. My complaint with other intros is that they show lots of examples but are very light on the actual techniques for creating similar images. This book covers the end-to-end process of drawing a figure beautifully. It IS a beginner's book, and if you're just getting into the field you'll need a lot more on different kinds of characters and drawing effects and styles and clothing. What this book excels at is giving you a number of good starting points each of which develops into a completed character drawing. Not a lot of breadth, not super deep, but enough to bring you to a point where you're drawings are good enough so that you don't get frustrated and abandon this wonderful form of art.

MARQ Gesture Spot 300 LED Lighting
MARQ Gesture Spot 300 LED Lighting
Price: $499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pro-quality in small venues, private parties, raves, etc., April 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For what this is it's an excellent unit, but don't get carried away. If you're a DJ who does private parties, this will be a good addition to your gear. If you sponsor raves, ditto - the setup is easy and fast and while it's a sturdy unit you could haul a dizen of these around easily. That said, it's NOT for a club. It's specifically NOT for permanent installation.

Out of the box, without DMX, it's more than adequate for the simple effects it can do standalone, no problem. The menu system is a bit frustrating but if you can learn a new smartphone quickly you can master the standalone operation of this unit in 20 minutes. The documentation is no help at all but completely unnecessary if you're not a technophobe.

However, with DMX it rocks. You get full control, fine increments of motion, VERY nice sound-response, and all at an entry-level price.

We're using it to do weddings for younger couples who don't want a boring wedding band and a lot of bad jokes. Our DJ runs the show and three of these make an average-sized wedding venue rock. It's overkill for our application, really, but we're getting VERY good feedback and lots of referrals. Obviously, if you do tamer events, leave it in the car.

We plan to buy one or two of its more powerful brothers to ratchet up the intensity as needed. With a couple lasers you can approach a club environment with an hour's setup.

Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam  Second Edition, New Edition
Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam Second Edition, New Edition
by John A. Camara PE
Price: $319.20
5 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, covers all exam topics thoroughly, April 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since the publication of the first edition this book has come to be recognized as the standard for preparing for the NCEES ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER–ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS Exam. The coverage is comprehensive with every section of the necessary exam material explored in great detail. ALL of the equations that a candidate needs to know and understand are included, along with a great deal of introductory material for those who are weak in one area or another. There are a few other exam prep manuals on the market but this would be my choice. Also, as an aside, I'd recommend taking an in-person review course before attempting the exam. This would make a good reference book, as well, but there are better alternatives for that purpose given the price.

Stories of Your Life and Others
Stories of Your Life and Others
by Ted Chiang
Price: $11.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, April 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ted Chiang is a remarkable writer. The stories in this book hover between SF and fine literature. His writing has that lovely transparency that's so very, very hard to achieve - his voice never gets between the reader and the story but is always present in shaping the words. Frankly I'm stunned. As SF goes, it's comparable to Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos books, and the title story is reminiscent of René Daumal's Mount Analog. I'm not sure why writers of this caliber so seldom turn to the SF genre to express their ideas; when they do, the results are astounding. Chiang is in very good company. After reading this I wanted to read his other work, but everything is out of print and used copies are horribly expensive.

Programming Arduino: Getting Started with Sketches (Tab)
Programming Arduino: Getting Started with Sketches (Tab)
by Simon Monk
Price: $15.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, not by a mile, April 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If the essential purpose of this book is truly to introduce Arduino sketches to folks "with no prior programming experience required", it has failed. I've been using C for years so there was nothing challenging for me on that score, but this book is so disorganized and the coding examples have SO little supporting explanation that it will leave a newbie completely baffled. There are numerous references to things that aren't found anywhere near the reference - LEDs, ports, lines of code, whatever. Searching through the book doesn't help. When I read in the back cover copy that the book contains "clear instruction designed for absolute beginners" I can only laugh. I've spent decades writing low-level code and I can tell you that this book and beginners are a world apart. I've given it two stars because everything within the book appears factually correct, and it's well edited - but anyone who fits the name "beginner" should save their money for a different introductory book - which leaves the question: who IS this book for? I don't have an answer.

Calvin Klein CK2 Eau de Toilette Spray, 1.7 fl oz.
Calvin Klein CK2 Eau de Toilette Spray, 1.7 fl oz.
Price: $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very modern, subtle and original for the daytime and office - and lots of places where a classic scent would be too heavy, April 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the third generation of Calvin Klein's CK line of fragrances, which have been an interesting experiment in the taste of modern young adults. The first of the line came out in 1994, CK One, was sold as a unisex scent but struck many women as a bit manly. Never the less it sold very well to young people of both sexes. Later, CKIN2U (not unisex) was released in 2007. It veered more toward the feminine and wasn't really a great success. With CK2 Calvin Klein has tried to stay current with the way the new crop of young people by describing this scent as non-gendered, which is a fair description. It has an unusual spicy element that strangely smells a little like ozone, as smelled after a flash of lightning, combined with a warm woody scent. I know, that seems like an odd combination but it works. It's subtle, not likely to offend anyone, very office friendly - not something for the opera, no way, but a friendly daytime scent. I like it quite a lot. People never react to it, but they notice after a little while and I've gotten a few nice comments - from other women, of course. It won't "send a message" but you'll smell nice.

Rochas Eau de Rochas Fraîche Eau de Toilette, 3.3 fl. oz.
Rochas Eau de Rochas Fraîche Eau de Toilette, 3.3 fl. oz.
Price: $73.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing retro scent, classy and original, April 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Light, dry, young and fairly subtle. No one will be overpowered or offended if you don't go wild. I suppose the reviewers who call it old-fashioned are onto something, but it's an old-fashioned scent that was never produced before. It fits in well with my retro wardrobe and tastes. I like things that re-interpret classic themes, and I like this scent a lot. If your idea of chic is very contemporary you probably may not care for this, but it suits me perfectly. Someone suggested that it's good for 8 hours which I think is a bit of a stretch - as an evening scent it's just about right.

SABRE Sport & Safety Horn - 112 dB, up to 1/2 Mile Range - for Camping (Bear Bells Alternative), Boating, Sporting Events (Support Your Team), etc.
Offered by Stealth Rabbit
Price: $11.96
3 used & new from $11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Very compact, fits in a purse or pocket, LOUD, April 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One feature makes this good for some things and bad for others. It's tiny - nothing like the devices we carry on boats or that the jerk sitting behind you brought to a ball game. My daughter can carry it in her purse, I can keep it in my pocket when I'm out hiking. It's just as loud as the big ones. The problem of course is that it doesn't have a very long-lasting charge. It's great for emergencies, great when you need to call for help - not so good if you just want to make a lot of noise. I'd like to see them make a model that stays on after you hit the button - that would good for scaring off muggers or worse.

Ion Audio Air LP 3-Speed Belt-Drive Bluetooth Turntable
Ion Audio Air LP 3-Speed Belt-Drive Bluetooth Turntable
Price: $98.72
23 used & new from $71.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Not fancy but EXCELLENT audio, April 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a lot of vinyl discs that have long been out of production and didn't make the cut when CDs came out - stuff I simply can't replace. When USB turntables first became available I got one to archive all of my vinyl. Even though my first one cost several hundred dollars the audio quality wasn't that good which defeated the whole point of the exercise. This model, which was very affordable, sounds perfect to my ear. I've started archiving all over and the transcriptions are excellent. It could be sturdier and fancier, but for the price it's adequate and that's not the point anyway.

Havahart Wireless Radial-Shape Select Fence for Medium-Large Dogs
Havahart Wireless Radial-Shape Select Fence for Medium-Large Dogs
Price: $359.00
3 used & new from $279.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Burl Ives: Get the best, you'll get used to it somehow, April 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've set these up to keep our dogs out of our long access road so we don't have to put fences all through our land. So far they've been working perfectly. We had major concerns about whether this was a sadistic way to go, but the dogs both learned their new boundaries with just a few trials. Puppy ethics aside, the system works beautifully and just as expected. We HAD tried some cheaper units that didn't work out. I regret that we put our dogs through that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20