Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Profile for Peter F. Gawne > Reviews

Browse

Peter F. Gawne's Profile

Customer Reviews: 46

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter F. Gawne "Peter" RSS Feed (Boston)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Beetles of Eastern North America
Beetles of Eastern North America
by Arthur V. Evans
Price: $26.30
44 used & new from $19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible beetle book for the Eastern North America, June 27, 2014
This book is just what I had been looking for. If you collect bettles in the Eastern US, this book will really help to get any given specimen identified. The book contains notes on where they are typically found, a picture with each species, and an overview of each family. It is really well done, and has instantly become my favorite insect book in the library.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good variety, and lots of them, January 23, 2014
There are a lot of collar stays in this pack, which will do nicely to replace some that I have either washed or lost. I have never used collar stays with magnets, but I did try a couple of these with magnets from the fridge and they grab ahold very well. Seems like a great price to replace some bent or lost stays, and there are enough that I can lose a few and not even notice. Good size assortment too...I found one to fit in each of my shirts.

Bench Dog Tools 10-076 3/8-Inch Doweling Jig
Bench Dog Tools 10-076 3/8-Inch Doweling Jig
Price: $21.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jig, August 24, 2013
This helped me greatly in putting together some furniture. I joined some maple in parallel and at angles, and this little jig helped a lot. I tried to do it with careful measurements prior to finding this jig, and even with a drill press I wasn't able to get the accuracy that this jig afforded. I even did a number of my joints with this jig and a hand-drill, and didn't have any problems getting everything lined up perfectly.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent brad-point bit, and some 3/8" dowel centers along with this jig and you should be good to do some really nice work.

Dive Rite Regulator Necklace
Dive Rite Regulator Necklace
Offered by Dive Gear Express LLC
Price: $9.95
3 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Dive Rite Regulator Necklace
This necklace hold my octopus securely in place. It's long enough to get it over my head without removing my goggles or hood. The adjustable plastic pieces keep a firm grip on the mouthpiece, so that I don't worry about it letting go with casual contact.

Redington Rod Case, Single 9'0" 4 Pc-Gray
Redington Rod Case, Single 9'0" 4 Pc-Gray
Offered by Country Supplier
Price: $32.25
9 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Redington Rod Travel Case (Misc.)
This case has suited my needs very well. It has dividers for each section of my 4-peice rod, and plenty of padding for the reel. I like to keep a couple of extra flies, tippet material, and a pair of hemostats in the case as well, and there is easily enough room for those.

I also have a Sage 4-piece rod case, and I think this Redington case is ever bit its equal. I actually think I prefer the Redington, as the zipper position allows the reel case to move way more completely, and the reel case portion is a little larger which allows for extra items if I need them.

It does have an adjustable strap/handle, which is large enough to get over one shoulder. I'm often taking these on the plane, and having a free hand is a big deal.

Benchmark Scientific BSW1520 Aluminum Dry Bath Heating Block for Digital Dry Bath Incubator, 24 x 1.5mL Or 2.0mL Centrifuge Tubes Capacity
Price: $98.27
12 used & new from $83.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, August 24, 2013
This thaw block ending up not fitting the bill for what I really wanted. I wanted a block that would aid in speeding up the thaw-time of prepared samples. The wells which hold the centrifuge tubes are milled in a cylindrical shape, rather than a more form-fitting cylinder/cone combination. As a result the centrifuge tube does not contact enough of the block to really speed up the thawing process. This might work well in a dry bath incubator, but didn't work well at ambient temperatures.

I ended up returning this block and purchased a Rapid Thaw Defrosting Block from Dan-Kar, and was much happier.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 2:05 PM PDT

O'Neill Wetsuits Men's Hammer 2/1mm Jacket
O'Neill Wetsuits Men's Hammer 2/1mm Jacket

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than expected., March 8, 2013
This jacket worked great for me. I needed another layer to go under a 3/2mm wetsuit, so that I be comfortable when all the other divers were wearing 5/4mm. I was perfectly comfortable down to 74F, and think I could have gone a little lower. I was so happy not to have to buy a wetsuit that I would hardly ever use. This jacket pulled double-duty for snorkelling - it gave me a little bit of extra warmth and sun-protection, but I was still able to dive down without feeling like I was wearing a life jacket.

I purchased this jacket in a large, which fit great even though I normally wear a medium or medium/large in a wetsuit. This top has flattering body panels, and looks good on its own with a pair of trunks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2013 2:39 PM PDT

Lisle 12100 Oxygen Sensor Socket
Lisle 12100 Oxygen Sensor Socket
Price: $13.34
57 used & new from $10.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for installation, September 26, 2012
I purchased this to change the oxygen sensor on my 6-cylinder 2001 Jeep Wrangler. It fit on the oxygen sensors, but that is about the best thing I can say about this tool. Oxygen sensors tend to get grimed up and stuck. The slit in the side of this socket gives the socket too much flex and play, and seems to pop off when trying to exert the pressure required to loosen the sensors. It's far easier to cut the pigtails off thee old sensors (you're throwing them out anyway) and use a normal, deep socket.

It does do a nice job for installing the new sensors, however. You clearly want to keep the pigtails intact, and the pressure to put the new ones in is not nearly that of trying to remove the grimy, stuck old ones.

Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Sneaker,White/Blue,12 M US Women's/10.5 M US Men's
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Sneaker,White/Blue,12 M US Women's/10.5 M US Men's
Offered by wearus
Price: $67.99
7 used & new from $67.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking shoes, September 26, 2012
These are nice looking shoes, and quite comfortable. They seem more of a casual shoe than a sports shoe to me, as they have little support and the sole feels pretty soft and thin - not really supportive. I have received compliments on the appearance of these shoes.

The one thing that I personally did not like was a little flap at the heel. I did not see it in the pictures, but there is a loose piece of leather located right at the achilles tendon. I really didn't like it flopping around, so I actually ended up gluing it down - it bothered me that much. It clearly a part of the design of this shoe, but one that I was not expecting nor desiring.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2013 9:02 PM PST

Scientific Anglers Streamer/Saltwater 72 Waterproof Fly Box (Medium, Metallic Blue)
Offered by AvidMax
Price: $25.95
5 used & new from $25.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the box, but waterproofing is dubious, September 26, 2012
I really like this box. It keeps a good number of flies organized. It fits nicely in a pocket and the hard sides protect me and my flies.

The waterproofing leaves something to be desired. I am sure that it would keep out a some splashing or a little rain, but if it gets momentarily dunked, water gets in. It's not a huge deal to me, but at the end of a trip I had to remove, rinse, and dry all of my flies to keep them from corroding. That being said, this is my second of these boxes (I have one for freshwater too) and knowing its limitations did not stop me from buying this one. If I were to lose this box, I would likely buy another of the same type.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5