ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Profile for Lillibet > Reviews

Lillibet's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lillibet RSS Feed

Your Primal Body: The Paleo Way to Living Lean, Fit, and Healthy at Any Age
Your Primal Body: The Paleo Way to Living Lean, Fit, and Healthy at Any Age
by Mikki Reilly
Price: $6.56
80 used & new from $1.57

5.0 out of 5 stars New Approach that Works!!, March 28, 2013
I started training with Mikki Reilly just around the time that "Your Primal Body" was published, so I read it through with great interest. I was learning to use kettlebells for the first time in my life while simultaneously changing my eating habits to embrace the Paleo Diet. Both were extremely hard for me when I started, especially the diet as I've always loved carbs. But after only three months, I have lost weight and my body has changed so that I look fitter and feel much more energetic in every aspect of my life. Although I read the book through very quickly at first, I go back and review sections as I get more involved with training techniques. Using the foam roller for myofascial release on your muscles is crucial for any type of workout or exercise so it's very helpful to have photos in the book that demonstrate the correct way to use the roller. I have read many books on diet and exercise but "Your Primal Body" is a new approach to both that really works!

The Comfort Garden: Tales from the Trauma Unit
The Comfort Garden: Tales from the Trauma Unit
by Laurie Barkin
Price: $17.81
46 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, helpful and enlightening, March 27, 2012
Laurie's book is one of the few that I wanted to read twice..and did! Each chapter is a well-crafted story about one of her patients or about a particularly poignant event in her life and with her family. Having been a nurse earlier in my life, I know how demanding a profession it can be. But multiply those demands ten-fold when one works in the trauma unit of a hospital like San Francisco General where nursing is under-staffed and resources are scarce. Then along comes managed care and makes matters even worse - at least for the patients and staff. I have such great admiration for the dedication of nurses like Laurie.
However, The Comfort Garden is not just a book for health professionals. It's well-written and provides details of the various feelings that trauma patients and their families, friends or caregivers experience. It allows us to see the clinical situation from so many different angles: the patient's, the family, the nurse, the doctor, the therapist's and the hospital administrator. It's interesting how each person's personal situation reflects so much in the way they approach the patient. I loved most of the characters but absolutely hated others - but I won't name characters so you can judge for yourself.

Almost all of us are in or will be in a caregiving situation at some point in our lives and this book is helpful in so many ways. I especially liked the sentences that were Laurie's inner thoughts because at times they provided comic relief but mostly they assuaged the guilt we sometimes feel when we wish we didn't have to do certain things as a caregiver. Even nurses can be "grossed out" or "fed up" at times, so it's ok for us to feel that way too. The book also makes us aware of the importance of taking care of ourselves and spending time with friends and family while we are caregivers. There is no sense in being a martyr because no one benefits from a burned out caregiver, least of all the patient. I'm sure Laurie's decision to take a leave from nursing was a difficult and emotional one to make but I am glad she then turned her energy and efforts into writing this book and allowing us to learn from her experiences.