Profile for q2king87 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"q2king87" RSS Feed (CT)

Page: 1 | 2
Strays
Strays
142 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer., August 22, 2003
This review is from: Strays (Audio CD)
I just got into Jane's Addiction right before this album was released, and after hearing "Just Because" a bunch of times, "Strays" was the only newly released album I had any interest in getting. Well, I got it, and I was not let down. If you're a fan of Jane's Addiction, you should like this album. Otherwise, stop being so close minded and give it another listen. And also.. if you were wondering about new bass player Chris Chaney, you WILL not be disappointed. He more than fills the void left by Eric Avery.. I play bass so I know what I'm talking about ;P.
Track Breakdown:
True Nature - A heavy opener with awesome heavy riffs, stamped with signature Jane's vocals and rhythm section.
Strays - much less of a straight ahead rocker, it has catchy lyrics and strange guitar work that may or may not hook you.
Just Because - Everybody is in top shape on this song, it's well done.
Price I Pay - I love this song! After the strange intro, during the verse, Dave, Stephen and Chris are all audible at the same time and all playing something interesting.. check this one out.
The Riches - I like all the lyrics and Dave's guitar solo.
Superhero - Great chorus.. i love the trumpets and stuff like that in the background.
Wrong Girl - this song has a really cool SRV-like blues/rock guitar intro, and its unusual time makes for an interesting song.
Everybody's friend - a nice slow song, nice accoustic work by Dave.. this is the side of Jane's we don't see very often.
Suffer Some - My favorite song on the album. The riffs are great and very heavy, Dave's solo is great, I just can't get enough.
Hypersonic - Great drums.. this is not one of my favorites but I still don't skip it.
To Match The Sun - Great. This is a very creative song with beautiful.. EVERYTHING.. just listen to it.
Jane's Addiction is awesome.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Price: $7.42
371 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like RHCP you should already have it!, May 21, 2003
This review is from: Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Audio CD)
What an incredible album. All four members of the band completely shine. I actually saw the band last night and I have even more respect and love for this band. Chad Smith is an awesome drummer who doesn't get enough attention. Flea deserves all the attention he gets, because his basslines are so innovative and show his creative prowess. John Frusciante is a wonderful guitarist and his guitar work is always tasteful and melodic.
As for this specific album, it's just chock full of great songs. It has my personal favorite, Under the Bridge. It also has Give it Away, which everybody knows, and Breaking the Girl, which is another RHCP staple. But just because I mentioned those don't mean they're any better than the rest. Really, you have to own this album.

Odyssey
Odyssey
Price: $19.00
22 used & new from $0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., May 3, 2003
This review is from: Odyssey (Audio CD)
I love Symphony X. Although I play bass, i'm a guitar solo nut, and Michael Romeo does a great job of satisfying my love of solos. Whatever it is that Symphony X does, they do it right, and they rock. It's hard to put a finger on it, but it's awesome. Romeo's riffs are amazing, the the rhythm section is great and keeps the songs heavy and packed with a heavy low end. I love Russell Allen's voice; it fits with the music incredibly well. He's a great singer and his voice has a really nice edge to it that fits the 'neo-classical speed metal' music that Symph X plays.
As for the Dream Theater comparisons, Dream Theater are my favorite band and I knew about them before Symphony X. Basically, if you like Dream Theater's heavier songs (think Glass Prison or Lie), you will like Symphony X. When people compare them to Dream Theater, the comparison is both accurate and completely wrong. Allen and LaBrie sound nothing alike, and Romeo plays far heavier riffs than Petrucci. However, Petrucci and Romeo are both great shredders, and the keyboardists do a great job of complementing their treble-based guitar playing counterparts on solos and fills. To sum everything up, the bands are in roughly the same genre, but if you know anything, you can easily tell the difference between them; even if the singer's aren't singing yet.

Perpetual Burn
Perpetual Burn
Price: $19.52
24 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Godly., April 25, 2003
This review is from: Perpetual Burn (Audio CD)
I don't like the constant comparisons to Yngwie, first of all. I'm not putting down Yngwie at all, he's awesome, and inspired Becker anyway. However, Becker AMAZES me. I've seen all the virtuosos, all the gods, and Becker just seems to stand out. I know about Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Yngwie, Johnson, and all the old schoolers like Page and Hendrix. Like I said, i just prefer Becker. Listen to all the people who praise the song Air.. its the best fingerpicking i've ever heard.
I can't help but compare Becker... not to Malmsteen, but to Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix died when he was 27.. Jason was diagnosed with ALS in his 20s. Both of them were guitar gods. Well that's about all they had in common but whatever. And i love the fact that Becker is still creating music in his mind although he can't create it with his fingers. He is probably the most talented musician i've ever heard and considering his uniqueness and his stamina with the debilitating disease he has, it's easy to understand why he's my favorite "shredder" although he's so much more.
Long live Jason Becker.

Degradation Trip
Degradation Trip
66 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh.., March 21, 2003
This review is from: Degradation Trip (Audio CD)
This album just disappointed me. I bought it ...Anger Rising is a good song. I just don't like this album much.. it's way too slow.. Mike Bordin barely has to do anything. I like the guitar parts in Glass Dick Jones ... Give it a name is ok, and then there's Anger Rising, Angel Eyes, and Solitude, which are good songs. Other than that i have a hard time getting into this album.. with slow music and Cantrell's deep slow voice, it didnt hold my attention very much.

Kill Em All
Kill Em All
53 used & new from $1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, March 17, 2003
This review is from: Kill Em All (Audio CD)
This isn't what i expected at all. It's much better. I'm a big metal fan and i love all Metallica's thrash songs. (Don't get me wrong i like the other ones too.. for the most part). This album is loaded with thrash. Don't look into this cd searching for power ballads, slow songs, ballads, or melodic tunes. DO look into this cd if you want fast, heavy riffs, backed by pounding drums (back when Lars was young, strong and able to keep up with these thrash songs) and amazing solos. In my opinion this album is Hammett's best work. Almost every song has a blistering fast solo in it, with equally fast rhythm, drums and bass. That's another thing.. bass. Cliff Burton is, without saying, far superior to Newsted or now, Rob Trujillo. As if you didn't know, there is no guitar in Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth), just very distorted bass and some drums.
If you're a Metallica fan, i urge you to get this cd. Enjoy the reign of Cliff Burton, it's only a 3 album span.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: $16.78
26 used & new from $4.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesley willis, March 12, 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This music really whips my behind with a belt. I actually dont have this cd, but i've heard something like 25 of his songs and i have a fair idea of what this cd would be like. Wesley rocks my world. I haven't been able to listen to "real" music since i discovered wesley, because he puts me in the best moods. this is the most feel good music ever, dont listen to the 1 star people.
Wesley really whips a camel's behind with a belt.
He is a good person to the max.
He is a recording artist and a good man.
He sings about McDonald's and Batman.
Wesley willis (4x)

Ride the Lightning
Ride the Lightning
97 used & new from $0.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Often overshadowed..., March 6, 2003
This review is from: Ride the Lightning (Audio CD)
Obviously, this album is bound to be overshadowed with Master of Puppets widely being considered the greatest metal album of all time. I don't think people should forget this one! I'm astounded that the Black Album is on the essentials list and not this album instead.
Fight Fire With Fire - love the intro, the song is average (good solo though)
Ride the Lightning - such a cool intro.. good concept for a song (innocent man about to get the electric chair)
For Whom the Bell Tolls - its your opinion.. but i think this is a very overrated Metallica song.. but still good.
Fade to Black - best song on the album... phenomenal song. I love metallica's power ballads.
Trapped under ice - good song, not amazing though
Escape - same as above
Creeping Death - GREAT song.. underrated
Call of Ktulu - such a good instrumental!! rock on!
Master of Puppets IS better.. but don't forget this album!

A Picture of Nectar
A Picture of Nectar
Offered by CAC Media
Price: $19.92
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phish i've heard so far, March 2, 2003
This review is from: A Picture of Nectar (Audio CD)
I have this album, Farmhouse, The Story of the Ghost, and Lawn Boy, and IMO, this album is the best by a longshot. I love the styles that the guys play in in this cd. I love the short songs like the bluegrassy poor heart and the opening track, llama. I also like the jammed out songs like Stash and Tweezer. Just a very well rounded album, containing Phish from every aspect and angle. There's short, polished songs and long, raw (still talented) songs. Best phish album. GO buy it

Rage Against the Machine
Rage Against the Machine
Offered by cds_dvds_guaranteed
Price: $29.89
113 used & new from $0.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Their peak without a doubt., March 1, 2003
I got this cd after Evil Empire and Battle of Los Angeles, and let me tell you.. not only is this the best Rage cd, it completely makes the other two look bad. Bombtrack has a great intro (i can play it though :P), Know Your Enemy is the all time best Rage song, Wake up is great, Killing in the Name is very good and will have you yelling swear words at the end of the song.
If you're into this music i definetly recommend this over the other rage cds (which are still good!)
By the way, i think this cd blows audioslave away ! :P

Page: 1 | 2