Profile for S. Hunt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Hunt "celestineangel" RSS Feed (Bethany, Louisiana United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Half Life (Russell's Attic Book 2)
Half Life (Russell's Attic Book 2)
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing compared to first book, but still good., April 2, 2015
The first book in this series, ZERO SUM GAME, is really good. I enjoyed it a LOT.

This book I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

First the good, though: Still love Cas. And I love how she has friends now who try to keep her from doing too much to endanger the lives of others and her own life. And I love how she's extremely uncomfortable with this because "Friends, what are they and what do I do with them? I am not allowed to eat them, I guess." Cas is just a really great character all around, and I can't wait to see more of her progress, and learn more about her past. (Actually, all of the characters are basically great.)

The story is, for the most part, really good. It isn't entirely unexplored territory, but Huang puts her own touches and her own thoughts behind it. What is humanity? Can something built by humanity, programmed to act human, take on humanity? Can emotion, can a soul, be programmed?

Now for the two main complaints I had:

1) Red herring is not used effectively. I can't properly talk about this without spoilers, but there is a whopping red herring, and absolutely no explanation behind something that is said by a character that, since this IS a red herring, makes no sense at all for that character to say.

What makes me so upset about this, other than it's bad writing and/or editing (an editor should have caught this), is that there weren't any huge plot holes like this in the first book! I know Huang can do better, and it shook me to see something so glaring and obvious, when I'd been expecting the same sort of quality plotting and storytelling as in ZERO SUM GAME.

2) Authors should not try to write dialect they have no personal experience with. "Ain't" is not "don't." "I ain't think this is a good idea" is not the correct usage. There's a little bit of this in the first book, mostly toward the end, but not enough to raise my Southern hackles. It's all over this second book, though, to the point it actually made me--as a Southerner, avid reader, and a writer--angry. I'll still know he's a black guy from Texas without "ain't" peppered into his speech in mostly inappropriate ways, I promise.

I do intend to read more in this series. I want to! I want to learn more about Cas, and Rio, and the other characters. I want to see more of Cas' super math powers, and learn where they come from! I want to see if the red herring from this book actually becomes important in later books. But I also want those books to be of the quality I know they can be, without huge plot holes, and definitely without the dialect.

Zero Sum Game (Russell's Attic Book 1)
Zero Sum Game (Russell's Attic Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, April 2, 2015
I really enjoyed this book a lot. I love the hell out of Cass, the main protagonist, and I love that she isn't a hero. Not really, not in any sense of the word. She's just a person trying to survive the best way she can, and if that means killing some people, well, they shouldn't have gotten in her way. She's not entirely heartless, just practical to the extreme, and emotionally isolated.

I loved the story, I loved the atmosphere, the characters. Really good.

A Neurological Study on the Effects of Canine Appeal on Psychopathy, or, RIO ADOPTS A PUPPY: A Russell's Attic Interstitial
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars it kind of sounds like the author's hilarious fanfiction of her own work (which ..., April 2, 2015
The title is a little misleading; it kind of sounds like the author's hilarious fanfiction of her own work (which would have been AMAZING). Instead it's... really, really, really NOT hilarious. Still good, I still liked it a lot. I just let myself believe the title meant it would be funnier than it actually is.

Mousejunkies!: More Tips, Tales, and Tricks for a Disney World Fix: All You Need to Know for a Perfect Vacation
by Bill Burke
Price: $16.04
45 used & new from $10.70

4.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting a little more new content than there ..., April 2, 2015
I was expecting a little more new content than there is, but other than that, this is a worthy successor to the original and the second edition! Write on, Mr. Burke!

Horns
Horns
Price: $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Skip the movie, just read the book, February 22, 2015
This review is from: Horns (Amazon Instant Video)
The cast in this movie are all stellar. Even Daniel Radcliffe has learned out to cry more realistically than in his HARRY POTTER days, so congrats on that, DRad!

The problem is that as the movie goes on, and deviates from the book, it doesn't deviate in any GOOD ways. I was disappointed that things actually got *less* weird as they went on, rather than more. Instead, the movie just becomes silly. Incredibly silly. Not to mention, all the symbolism is obvious, but confused. There's no way to understand what the movie is trying to say with the material given to it from Joe Hill's book.

A book which, by the way, is ten times better. Hill is definitely his father's son, and reading the book, you'll understand how and why Ig ends up with his horns.

I'll watch this movie again, since I own it and all. But if you can avoid it, just read the book.

I Know That Voice [HD]
I Know That Voice [HD]
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 16, 2014
This documentary makes me want to be a voice actor.

poets are not useful
poets are not useful
by Gwyndyn T Alexander
Price: $8.95
11 used & new from $8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems for the Non-Poetry Reader, September 11, 2014
This review is from: poets are not useful (Paperback)
I was honored to be able to read these poems before publication, and honored to read them again.

This is the book of poetry for people who don't read poetry, because although these poems are deeply personal, a reader could potentially find themselves in any of them. If you think poetry is all flowers and stuffy old language from centuries ago, then read poets are not useful. This is life; this is ugly life, erotic life, beautiful life, disappointing, angry, lived, drowned, and lived again.

This book is essential.

iPhone 5S case, Caseology® [Clear back Bumper] [Clear] DIY Customization Fusion Hybrid Cover [Shock Absorbent] Apple iPhone 5S case
Offered by MODN Mall
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Must uglier than the pic, August 29, 2014
Case looks totally different from the picture--instead of a lovely clear, it's a dirty, dingy yellow.

The Keys To The Kingdom
The Keys To The Kingdom
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get very far, July 17, 2013
I might finish this one day, but it's a little hard to consider right now. I'm still in his early life, and it's all "poor little rich boy with a mean, mean daddy who wouldn't let him have what he wanted at the fancy restaurant (don't worry, mommy made sure he got his shrimp cocktail)." As someone who is not rich and probably never will be, it's extremely difficult to get past my initial negative feelings about the way Eisner's early life as part of a wealthy family is being presented as a terrible challenge for him to overcome. If I can, then I'll finish this book. Until then, one star.

Warehouse 13 Season 4
Warehouse 13 Season 4
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Please no more hiatuses., July 17, 2013
The only thing that took away from my enjoyment of this season was the ridiculously long hiatus in the middle of it. From October to April, seriously? It gave the season a choppy, disjointed feel, as though it were two seasons instead of one. In a way, it was. October to April! APRIL.

Other than that, WAREHOUSE 13 continues to be some of the best scifi/fantasy television out there right now. ONCE UPON A TIME could learn a few things about characterization and plot from WAREHOUSE 13.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3