Profile for surewords > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

surewords RSS Feed (Edison, NJ)

Under His Influence: Yielding to the Work of the Holy Spirit
Under His Influence: Yielding to the Work of the Holy Spirit
by Lloyd Pulley
Price: $9.99
48 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive Influence!, February 13, 2013
I can't believe that I'm the first person to post a review about this inspiring book! I'm involved in a Bible-study group, and we've been using "Under His Influence" for the last few months as a study guide (although it works very well in a group setting, I think it would be equally effective as an individual read).

If you've ever wanted to know more about the Holy Spirit - probably the most neglected and misunderstood member of the Trinity - then this book will help to inform, enlighten, and encourage you. Not only does Pastor Lloyd detail who the Holy Spirit is, but how to know Him more intimately (and yes, the Holy Spirit is a "He," not an "it"). After all, God not only wants to reach us and teach us, but most importantly, He wants to have a relationship with us. And the Holy Spirit is the conduit through whom that relationship can grow and develop...if we are willing to yield to His influence.

Written in a very warm and friendly conversational style, "Under His Influence" is filled with anecdotes, illustrations, and enough humor to keep the material interesting - without ever becoming dry or "academic." At the end of each chapter, there are a few pages of extremely thought-provoking questions. This is where the book really shines, IMO, because it was through pondering the answers to these questions that I developed a much richer experience in my relationship with the Lord.

Obviously, the author was "Under His Influence" when writing this book, because Jesus' love for us - in providing us access to the Holy Spirit - is so apparent in these pages. The words within are never condemning, but filled with continual encouragement and inspiration. I hope that many others will discover this book, and experience the same positive results that I have.

The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery That Holds the Secret of America's Future
The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery That Holds the Secret of America's Future
by Jonathan Cahn
Price: $9.76
359 used & new from $4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Signs Of The Times, January 13, 2012
What a riveting book! Once I started reading, I truly didn't want to stop. Even though I was previously acquainted with the premise of the book (I'd heard the author speak about it at his congregation, which I occasionally attend), the story, as it unfolded, completely captivated my attention.

I won't repeat what some of the numerous other reviewers have written. I just want to state briefly that IMO, Rabbi Cahn is a fantastic writer! I myself am a voracious reader (sometimes averaging two or three books a week), and have a pretty good sense of what makes a book readable. This book has all the necessary elements: a good foundational story; great narration; realistic, believable dialogue; and an important message (the moral of the story), to tie it all together.

Too often, books (and also movies) with a "Christian" or "religious" theme, come across as syrupy and unrealistic, particularly the dialogue. Well, this book doesn't do that at all. The way the author weaves the historical facts throughout a very timely, relevant, and well-written story, is what makes it so compelling. To say that, in presenting this message, Rabbi Cahn is like a modern day prophet, would perhaps be stretching things a bit...but then again, perhaps not.

Overall, I believe that anyone who enjoys history; mystery; suspense; or current events, will likely enjoy reading this book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2012 1:19 PM PST

Elvis and Kathy
Elvis and Kathy
by Kathy Westmoreland
17 used & new from $148.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Desperately Seeking an Editor, October 16, 2007
This review is from: Elvis and Kathy (Hardcover)
I'm only writing a review of this extremely out of print book because I recently read on Kathy's website that she is planning on reprinting an expanded version. For starters, I have to say that this is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read. There are hundreds of run-on sentences, and over a thousand missing commas. I found myself re-reading every other sentence, mentally placing the missing commas so that it would actually make sense. Then I discovered that the book's co-writer was supposedly a well know author and editor - incredible!
Now to the content. I gave the book three stars because there are some interesting Elvis stories not recorded elsewhere. However, this book gives what I consider a watered-down, whitewashed version of Elvis' life from 1970 to 1977. Now of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know exactly what happened, but it really bothers me that books like this make Elvis appear to be a saint. With the exception of a few details about Elvis' excesses, there is way too much "syrup" in this book for my taste (I much prefer Guralnick's "Careless Love," because it was well researched and gave a seemingly more balanced view of Elvis' life). For whatever reason, people like Ms. Westmoreland seem to feel that the best way to preserve Elvis' memory is to portray him as a nearly perfect, god-like character. I totally disagree. For the record, I believe that Elvis was the greatest entertainer of our lifetime. However, he was just as human as the rest of us, having frailties, weaknesses, etc. How can we learn from his mistakes, if the very people who knew him make it seem as though he rarely made any? They truly do us a disservice, in my opinion. Also, the author totally loses credibility when she makes repeated errors about well-known Elvis facts. For instance, she mentions several times that Elvis' mother Gladys died when she was 42, when in fact she died at 46. Also, Kathy refers to one of the last concerts as being in Rapid City, Iowa...well, it was actually Rapid City, South Dakota. And then there is the ridiculous claim that Elvis suffered from bone cancer, which has been totally disproven by those who had access to the autopsy results ("The Death of Elvis" sheds more light on this topic). Actually, Elvis may very well have allowed himself to believe that he had bone cancer, in order to justify his overuse of prescription drugs...but that's no excuse for someone to write about it as a medical fact, when there is not a shred of medical evidence to back up such a claim. Hopefully, Ms. Westmoreland will hire an editor (or at least a proofreader) for the re-write, and clear up some of the more glaring errors. If so, I might even be tempted to read it.

The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health - and What You Can Do About It
by Shawn M. Talbott
189 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Danger!, December 31, 2005
Overall, the book is fairly well written and easy to follow. The recommendations (dietary and other) would probably be helpful...if indeed your problems are due to elevated cortisol levels. However, on pgs. 78-79, the author makes the serious mistake of discouraging the use of hormone testing to determine actual cortisol levels. Instead, he recommends that you use his questionnaire (pg. xvi) as your sole guideline. Unfortunately, most of those questions deal with general stressors which nearly everyone experiences, along with other general health related questions. The point is, anyone could get a high score on this questionnaire, including those with high cortisol; low cortisol; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome, and any number of other ailments. This creates a very serious problem, because if someone with low levels of cortisol (common in CFS, for instance) were to take some of the supplements that the author recommends, that person's already weak adrenal glands would be depleted even further, with potentially catastrophic consequences. So, my recommendation is to read this book with an open mind, but definitely get your cortisol levels tested (contrary to the author's opinion, salivary cortisol testing has proven quite reliable) before using any of the herbs or other supplements suggested.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2013 5:18 AM PDT

Enzymes for Digestive Health and Nutritional Wealth: The Practical Guide for Digestive Enzymes
by Karen DeFelice
27 used & new from $2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Digest, December 19, 2005
About ten years ago, I read Enzyme Nutrition by Dr. Edward Howell, and found it to be interesting and informative. Unfortunately, much of the research and information was outdated, so I sought other enzyme related books. It took ten years before I found a book I could recommend, and this is it. Unlike nearly all of the other enzyme books out there, in which the authors promote a particular product or manufacturer that they have a vested interest in, Ms. Defelice gives a very refreshing unbiased approach to the subject of enzymes. Although she refers to one particular enzyme product in the book, this is likely because at the time of publication, it was the only product available capable of giving the results she described (in great detail). On her website, [...] she lists several other enzyme products that have since been found to be useful.

The author writes in a very friendly, easy to understand style...her detailed description of the human digestive system and its processes is one of the clearest I've ever read. She gives a sense of being an educated scientist, investigator, and concerned mother all in one.

If you or anyone you know has digestive problems, autism, autoimmune disorders, etc. then please read this book. And if you simply want to better understand enzymes and their use in human health, this is by far the best book on the subject!

The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
by Shelley Redford Young
217 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Acid Waste, December 23, 2004
I really don't like writing negative reviews, but this book is just crying out for one! I'm a nutritionist, and have seen a lot of fad diets and health claims come and go. I believe that the principle of acid-alkaline balance through diet is vitally important. However, this book does it a disservice.

First, the author strongly denounces the humble potato, which is probably the cheapest, most easily obtainable alkalizing food in the world (and is highly recommended by other authors on the subject).

Next, Mr. Young advises, as one of his primary recommendations, that we add hydrogen peroxide drops to our drinking water, in order to alkalize it. Well, I tested my H2O2 with ph test strips, and it is extremely acid (5.0 on the ph scale). Am I missing something??

The problem with so many of these health and self-help books is that the authors happen upon some program or system that works for them, and then they promote it to the world as a cure-all. Unfortunately, what works for them doesn't always work for the rest of us.

Following this book's recommendations, and buying the author's products, may help some people, but I believe they will be in the minority. If you are interested in this subject, I recommend The Acid-Alkaline Diet by Christopher Vasey, which is much more scientifically sound (and he doesn't try to sell you anything, either).
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 4:46 AM PDT