Profile for Christopher > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 108

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christopher RSS Feed (SPRING HILL, FL, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
RoboCop (Unrated Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
RoboCop (Unrated Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Peter Weller
Price: $9.99
16 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew that the real Detroit would actually be worse, July 14, 2014
Excellent all-time classic that attempted to predict the future of Detroit. Unfortunately they had more faith in the city than they should have.

SBH52 BLACK BT HEADSET SPEAKER
SBH52 BLACK BT HEADSET SPEAKER
Offered by eSound Sales
Price: $73.20
24 used & new from $59.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Large - but with great battery life, July 14, 2014
I've had a number of Sony's bluetooth headsets over the years and unlike every other genre out there, these units have constantly increased in size. When I received this unit I was actually surprised by how large it was compared to previous units. Also with an iPhone it has issues where it will suddenly just drop the connection. Doesn't happen often, maybe a couple of times a week - but on prior Sony devices it never happened.

So those are the negatives.

On on the positive side, the biggest plus of all is the battery life. One good thing about the large size is that it appears they used much of that space for the battery. I've used it as much as 8-hours of use in a day (not standby) and the unit still said the battery was half full. Prior Sony units would have died, or been dying. This is a huge plus.

Additional notes, compared to the last Sony unit I had. This unit has a working FM radio, outside I can pick up stations about 30-miles away without too big of an issue. The clip looks like it should last without breaking, a huge issue with prior Sony devices. Finally the sound quality is on par with the prior devices as well.

You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)
Price: $20.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Convince losers to buy your book = $$$, July 14, 2014
If you have to buy a book to try to convince yourself that you're not a loser - well you're probably a loser that will do nothing their life. Certainly you're not a badass, in fact you're the opposite of a badass.

However if you can convince a bunch of losers to buy your book then that's pretty badass. So the title of this book should be, I'm a Badass That's Here To Take Your Money Sucker.

Olympus Stylus SH-50 iHS Digital Camera with 24x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Silver)
Offered by LittlePiggy_Tech
Price: $187.49
45 used & new from $158.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, if you like water colors, June 24, 2014
I've had a number of Olympus cameras over the years and I've returned all of them since they were awful, but I bought this based on the positive reviews figuring I'd take a chance since the 24x zoom is very impressive in a point and shoot. However it's terrible. Anyone saying this thing has good picture quality should have their ability to review items revoked. At 100% crop the images look like water colors, I mean truly awful - no detail at all. I changed all the quality settings, shot from a tripod, did everything I could and nothing fixed this issue. It appears that Olympus is trying to cover for terrible noisy pictures by just smoothing everything - and these are bright daylight pictures.

Anyways if you care about picture quality avoid this at all cost, however if you're going to be viewing images at say 25% of their resolution on a monitor or TV and never ever will consider printing the photos AND you need the zoom then this might do - but you can certainly do better.

Bellroy Men's Leather Hide & Seek Wallet Java
Bellroy Men's Leather Hide & Seek Wallet Java
Offered by Bellroy
Price: $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wallet, June 6, 2014
I bought this wallet direct from the manufacturer well over a year ago when it wasn't available on Amazon. The obvious question most people are going to ask - is it worth it? To me, I can give an unqualified YES. It feels premium, it looks premium, I love all the hidden compartments and it stays slim - which is a huge benefit. Over the last year it's all got scuffed up because its in the same pocket I keep my keys in and personally, to me, it's even better now as it looks like vintage leather. Other than the scuffs I don't see any signs of wear to things like seams or inside the wallet.

Note however that this is a fairly slim bifold wallet. If you're the type of person that keeps everything from every credit card they've had since high school in their wallet along with pictures of their family and $20 in singles - this isn't the wallet for you. This is meant to be a thin, compact wallet and while you can fit a lot of stuff in it, more than you'd expect, it's not going to replace a fat trifold. Personally for me I hate fat wallets and I hate trifolds, so just make sure you understand what you're ordering.

Just to give an example of what fits in it in my normal use, I have a credit card, a bank card, a driver's licence, insurance cards (car, dental, health - thinner waxed paper) and $74 in 9 separate bills. That's about as packed as I like it, it can easily take more but to me, the beauty of this wallet is that it can carry everything I need and still stay slim.

Overall this is a fantastic wallet, highly recommended.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV
Price: $99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Day 1, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
I ordered this unit and the controller when it first became available and I've had a day or so with the unit so I thought I'd give my opinion. I'm a completely computer/electronics geek, I have XBOX Ones, PS3s, XBOX 360s, Rokus, some old WD Live TV units and Google TVs - so the only thing I can't really compare it to the Apple TV.

With that said I'll give my first impressions along with how it stacks up to everything.

First the hardware feels great, it's a small unit but it weights a decent amount - so your hdmi cable shouldn't be pulling the thing away from where you placed it (the Roku 3 tends to not stay in place if you have a wire pulling on it).It has a good weight and it feels well made with nice materials. It's fairly small, wider and longer than a Roku 3 but much shorter in terms of height. So overall the build quality is a plus.

The remote is well done, not too big but not too small. Has a nice shape which makes it easy to hold, seems like it can take some abuse. Everything is either RF or Bluetooth (like the Roku 3) so it really doesn't matter where the box is place. You can put it behind the TV or hid it somewhere without worry.

The speech recognition is something that Amazon is playing up as being something that finally works. While it works well it's also pretty limited as you can't command the unit, it's just basically a voice search. In my experience it doesn't work as well the XBOX One, which is fantastic in the way you can completely control all aspects of the device by search. With the Fire TV you hold down the button on the remote and say whatever you're going to say and then it presents some results at which point you use the controller to select what you want. Certainly it saves time over needing to type stuff, but realize that it's basically just a replacement for an onscreen keyboard and not much else at this point. Also note that the content search is limited to the app store and Prime videos. So unlike the XBOX One when you voice search for something and it gives you results as well as multiple ways to view it (Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudu, XBOX Video, etc) on the if you're searching for a movie it only provides content results from Amazon. Hopefully this is something they will update.

As for how the software works, for version 1 it's fairly impressive. The Prime content is presented fairly well and for day 1 there is an acceptable amount of apps and a good selection of games (by day one standards). Everything moves fairly fast - although I noticed some lagginess when I had a few downloads - otherwise it's fairly snappy. The number of apps/channels doesn't even remotely compare to Roku at this point with some huge misses being Vudu and the WWE Network. Also strangely enough you can not access your Amazon Music library. I'm sure those apps are coming, but the lack of Vudu is a huge void even on day one.

Prime movies launch quickly and the video quality is good, but I wouldn't really say the experience is better than any other device I've tried it on. Some of the great apps available are things like Plex, which in my testing works perfectly - including MKV files using DTS soundtracks. Someone stated earlier they couldn't get it to work, for me it works fine right out of the box. Other apps load up and run quickly, again on-par with something like the Roku 3.

The gaming is actually fairly impressive when you have the controller. Basically the controller the same size/shape of a 360 controller with a few more media buttons on it, it has the same build standard - which is good. Gameplay is quite fluid, everything looks good - it's everything that you'd expect from a modern Android phone/tablet - meaning high resolution graphics which lack the details that you'd expect from consoles. But for the price it's a great unit for kids or for a 3rd TV where you do some casual gaming.

Overall for the unit, as of today, I'd give it 4 stars. I would not recommend it over a Roku 3 at the moment as it's just missing too many features (channels). However hopefully that will change quickly and if it does it's a much much closer race. The voice search works fairly well, it's not at a Siri level and it doesn't have the same usefulness as an XBOX One - but it greatly reduces the need to use the onscreen keyboard - at least for Amazon products. Long term this will be a better unit than the Roku 3 do to the superior hardware and the gaming aspects - but if you're buying for today go with a Roku 3.

South Park: The Stick of Truth Grand Wizard Edition - Windows Collectors Edition
Offered by Just 4 Games
Price: $99.95
16 used & new from $54.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, March 10, 2014
I'm about 15-hours in and I don't know how close I am to the finish, but this game is flat out amazing and it gets better as you get more into it. There are tons of side quests to do, the world is filled with everything from the show, it runs on any hardware no matter how crappy - it's just a great game and the story so far easily could have just been an entire new season of the show. If you like South Park this is a no brainier. If you're a fruit that gets easily offended however go watch Glee and then do the world a favor and jump off a very tall bridge.

I got the Grand Wizard edition in an effort to help Cartman and the KKK (it's in the game) and the 6" Cartman figure is very impressive, much nicer than I would have thought it would have been. I never ever ever buy any of that extra crap, but I had to have the Grand Wizard edition here and it turned out great. If they only gave you a cloth map the world would have been perfect, but the figure was much better than I thought it would be so I'm happy either way.

Anyways buy this game - it's truly awesome.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 12:31 PM PDT

Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars No sound, March 2, 2014
Hey Onkyo, you suck. Three receivers with NO SOUND, all of them just after the warranty expired. I truly hate you.

Sincerely,
The entire world

P.S. If you're considering buying ANY Onkyo device, don't.

LETECK Xbox One Kinect Camera TV/Wall 2-in-1 mount - (Xbox One)
LETECK Xbox One Kinect Camera TV/Wall 2-in-1 mount - (Xbox One)
Offered by ButterFox
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, February 11, 2014
I don't know what's with all the people that can't figure the thing out - it took 2 seconds to put it on my TV and then that's it, it's done. I only give it 4 stars since it's just some plastic a couple of screws, the pricing I paid when it first came out was over $20. At the current $15 price it's a better deal.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions: Seattle Seahawks [Blu-ray]
Super Bowl XLVIII Champions: Seattle Seahawks [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ none
Price: $23.78
34 used & new from $16.84

1.0 out of 5 stars What a terrible cover, February 11, 2014
The cover of this Blu-ray looks like something from 1991 when teal, green, blue were all the rage. Truly an awful looking design for a terrible Super Bowl. If you're a Seahawks fan this should be a great video to watch, but I'm not - so one star.
Comment Comments (26) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 4:40 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11