Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Louie's Mom > Reviews

Browse

Louie's Mom's Profile

Customer Reviews: 365

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Louie's Mom "Compulsive Reader" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Performance Tool W38318 3/8" Drive 6-Point Socket, 9/16"
Performance Tool W38318 3/8" Drive 6-Point Socket, 9/16"
Price: $7.08
24 used & new from $2.83

5.0 out of 5 stars This deep socket will tighten a bolt down 1.25 inches on a screw, December 9, 2015
In my volunteer work I use a socket & adaptor so I can use my impact driver to quickly fasten down nuts and washers on 5 inch carriage screws. Usually the screw is seated in 4 inches of wood so I only need a regular depth socket to tighten the bolt. But on occasion I have to put a 5 inch carriage screw thru less than 4 inches of wood & that regular socket isn't deep enough. (Yes I could use a wrench but that is much slower.) This socket works & has its own 3/4 to 1/4 adapter so it's always ready in my tool belt.

Tectac® Magnetic Cell Phone Holder, Adjustable Car Mount Kit Holds Apple & Android Smartphones of All Sizes - 360° Rotation Ball Mount offers Unlimited Viewing Angles, Easy to Install
Offered by TectacDirect
Price: $13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars ... been using this for a week now and I love it. I have it attached to the area ..., December 8, 2015
I've been using this for a week now and I love it. I have it attached to the area just in front of the speedometer on my car so that I can just glance down from the road while driving to be able to see Google Maps, which I use every morning and evening for the best route each day to and from work. (With a 24 mile commute there are a lot of options and Google Maps picks the best one for me based on traffic conditions.) My only concern is whether the adhesive that holds the little metal ball to the plastic place on my car will hold over time because in the winter the temp gets below 28 degrees and in the summer over 100.

Sangean PR-D4W AM/FM Weather Alert Portable Radio with Bandwidth Narrowing, AM Auto Tracking
Price: $62.76
40 used & new from $62.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Why I am returning this Weather Alert Radio, November 13, 2015
I have owned the previous model, Sangean CL-100 S.A.M.E. Weather Hazard Alert RadioAM/FM, for several years and when I saw this newer model decided to order it. However, the Sangean PR-D4W lacks a critical option that the previous model had - the ability to turn off some types of alerts. I do NOT want to be awakened in the middle of the night by my alert radio for a flood warning (in over 100 years my neighborhood has never flooded), an Amber alert, or certain other irrelevant (for me) alerts. The CL-100 model allowed me to turn off the alerts I didn't need. This PR-D4W does NOT and as a result is so inferior to the CL-100 that I won't use it. Back to Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2015 8:34 AM PST

Quikclot Sport Brand Advanced Clotting Sponge ,Stop Bleeding Fast, 50 Gram Package
Offered by My First Aid Company®
Price: $15.98
10 used & new from $15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of my 1st aid kit for volunteer work building wheelchair ramps, October 8, 2015
Thx to the kind folks who answered my question about keeping this in my car. I have decided to put this clotting sponge, the pkg of Israeli trauma wound dressing, and nitrile gloves inside the bag that holds the lithium ion batteries for my circular saw, drill & driver. Those batteries shouldn't be left in hot or cold trunks - so all the items will be in my craftsman bag for easily carrying to & from the car. Hope we never have a chop saw or other serious accident but am prepared if we do.

The Quiet American
The Quiet American
by Graham Greene
10 used & new from $13.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Despite a like/hate feeling about Fowler, this is an incredible book, September 21, 2015
This review is from: The Quiet American (Paperback)
I was a child in the 60's & remember horrific scenes of the Vietnam war shown on the nightly news, and the gruesome photos in magazines. I never wanted to read about Vietnam. However, someone in my book club choose this book & I was willing to read it bec I would learn about what happened before the French left & the US stepped in to try to defeat the North Vietnamese.
This is a short book but packed with great quotes. It is eerie reading about the main character's views on colonialism & outsiders trying to make Vietnam the country they thought it should be. Eerie because it was written before the entire world saw the damage caused to Americans, Vietnamese, and Cambodians by the American involvement. Reading this book felt like watching people sitting & talking at a sidewalk cafe while knowing an avalanche is about to start that will bury them all. Fowler, a character in his 50's, has a disturbing ( to me as a woman) relationship with a 20 year old Vietnamese woman but he is otherwise admirable in his willingness to face ugly truths rather than getting swept up in popular ideologies based on naïveté & ignorance of the Vietnamese culture.
I would like to see this book become popular & discussed worldwide as I feel it makes valuable points that apply as much today as in 1955.

All That Is
All That Is
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not finish this audiobook & deleted it from my tablet, August 24, 2015
This review is from: All That Is (Kindle Edition)
This is a short review because, despite being an avid reader for over 40 years I can't quite determine what it is about this book that was repulsive to me. I have read many controversial books & enjoy having my views challenged. I am not bothered by cursing or explicit sexual content in books. Something about this book really bothered me & I was relieved to stop listening & delete it. I didn't read much about it before buying it & recommend that others read a lot of reviews from a variety of sources before deciding whether to buy it.m

Splendid Cities: Color Your Way to Calm
Splendid Cities: Color Your Way to Calm
by Rosie Goodwin
Price: $10.86
79 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the least "cute" of the coloring books I have purchased- yeah!, July 25, 2015
I am enjoying this book a lot because so many of the buildings are familiar and I prefer buildings, structures & vehicles as coloring book nature scenes are usually very "cute." That is not to say this book is totally realistic - the page I am doing now has a car driving up the side of a building.

Enchanted Forest: An Inky Quest & Coloring Book
Enchanted Forest: An Inky Quest & Coloring Book
by Johanna Basford
Price: $9.76
116 used & new from $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but not for everyone - too "cute" for me., July 25, 2015
Basford's drawing is excellent, as is the thick paper. I loved the idea of a nature book but please understand that the drawings are whimsical. I was bothered by the fact that objects were not in scale relative to each other. A friend came over & started drawing & loved it for the whimsical nature. I am giving it to her & moving on to something less "cute." Again, Basford's drawing skills are excellent.

Mr. Turner
Mr. Turner
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, this may leave you with a lot of questions., July 12, 2015
This review is from: Mr. Turner (Amazon Video)
As reviewer Terence stated, this film left me with a lot of questions about Turner. Despite being unfamiliar with his life & how he fit in the culture of his time, I enjoyed it & will do some reading about him. Biographic films that have one- dimensional characters bore me - Turner is presented as human - good impulses, destructive ones, great love, and at times, cruelty.

Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and the Search for Justice in Science
by Alice Dreger
Price: $18.88
54 used & new from $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing book – any critical thinker will enjoy it, July 5, 2015
Note about the title. Like others, I thought from the title that it would be a history of the struggles of scientists to present, and have accepted, scientific evidence, starting with Galileo. Because I have limited time for pleasure reading, I always read editorial reviews of a book before buying it. However in this case I broke my own rule because I had seen retweets of tweets by Dr. Dreger on Twitter and had a favorable impression of the professor.

Note about the format: I read a lot of non-fiction and be advised that though the text does not have small numbers in each chapter to correlate with the footnotes, the footnotes are easily found. Footnotes are organized by chapter, and then by page number, and then by subject.

I was a bit surprised when I started the book to find that it was not what I had assumed from the title. But as a news-junkie, and someone interested in science, medicine, ethics, cultural changes, and sexuality I found it very absorbing from the first page. I became so engrossed in the stories Dreger uses to make her points (more on those later) that I almost immediately started taking notes, like back in college and graduate school. I wasn't sure if I was going to agree with Dr. Dreger, but I was sure that my ideas about many things would be challenged and looked forward to that experience.

In this book Dreger recounts her investigations into various academic and ethical “scandals.” (Please forgive my frequent use of this term in this review.) Like a good investigative journalist (of which there are now few) or scholar, Dreger's method of investigating an issue is to go to original sources – interview people involved and find and read available documents. She writes so vividly about this process that I felt as if I was watching her struggle to find the essential information on each scandal and evaluate it. This created a sense of suspense. She sometimes found strong evidence that the “scandal” was not what it appeared to be – that rather than an academic twisting information in order to advance a personal agenda, the academic had merely published study results that some people did not want to know. In such a case the real scandal of course is how the academic was vilified and his or her findings miss-represented.

Dreger has the humility, and the commitment to finding truth, that she admits in the book that at times she herself was fearful of what she would learn about an issue on which she held a strong opinion. She wrote “We scholars had to put the search for evidence before everything else, even when the evidence pointed to facts we did not want to see.”

Her investigations of these scandals revealed to me a world that we non-academics seldom see. From page 108: “I had accidentally stumbled onto ...a whole fraternity of beleaguered and bandaged academics who had produced scholarship offensive to one identity group or another and who had consequently been the subject of various forms of shout-downs.” Later in the book we learn that these “shout-downs” sometimes included death threats and often included attempts to derail careers of ethical scientists with admirable intentions. Dreger also recounts the damage done to people when the “conventional wisdom” is actually incorrect, but is not fairly evaluated, and is thus used to treat and define people in harmful ways.

Some quotes that strike me as getting to “the heart” of the book:

“how badly most people want such simple stories of male and female, nature and nurture, good and evil...”

“What if we became unafraid of all questions?”

We must put the search for truth first and the quest for social justice second because “..sustainable justice couldn't be achieved if we didn't know what's true about the world.”

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20