Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for BernardZ > Reviews

Browse

BernardZ's Profile

Customer Reviews: 591

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

BernardZ RSS Feed (Melbourne, vic Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Terminator Genisys
Terminator Genisys
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy continuation of the series., August 9, 2015
I thought it was a very good sequel in the series. Arnold Schwarzenegger really helped make the movie. I thought that Jason Clarke and Emilia Clarke did an outstanding job too.

The story itself continues the Terminator series. I thought much better than the last one. Although it seems at times to be a cross between the Matrix and Back to the Future.

The characters were interesting. The filming is good.

If you like this series, you will enjoy it.

A Little Chaos
A Little Chaos
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Bored, August 5, 2015
I was expecting much from this film, there are excellent actors, good sets and some interesting costumes but was disappointed.

I think the main point was I really did not care about what they were doing in the fountain, as such I was bored. Except for the king and head gardener both who played well, I was not interested in any of the other characters.

The costumes and sets were as I expected good but not dazzling.

The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita
Price: $12.92
72 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great ideas but needs a major edit, July 13, 2015
I enjoyed reading this book, the writers I thought made some excellent points but also thought much of it was bad. Much of the logic needs work.

The writer theory is that all leaders depend on a coalition to remain in power, and this coalition has to be paid in money. Little, however, is stated of the glue of many political systems such as ideology, religion, nationalism, tribes and/or race. Why, many leaders find these much cheaper then money?

They also make many claims in their book that I think are just wrong. For example, Chiang Kai-shek did not make Taiwan a democracy; it was his son Chiang Ching-kuo and Chiang was not fooled by the US. Chiang was a sick man with not long to live; he was confronted by a very real threat that his regime would end as the US would sell out Taiwan to China so it was either make Taiwan a democracy or have it taken over Red China.

Democratic countries are not always economically growth driven, India for example was the largest democracy in the world, yet until fair recently its economy was terrible. There is little evidence that the Indian cared that much about it.

There are many points also that I did not like, for example, a discussion of the six-day war in 1967, the Israeli had about 17% by manpower and 39% of the economic military budget. The writers estimate the Israeli coalition in power needed to be paid 10% of the military budget, while the Egyptian (and presumably the rest of the Arab armies) 30% of their military budget. So taking this off, we have the Arabs with 55% of military budget and 83% of the military manpower. On numbers, the Arabs should still win. Maybe the writers should have considered Finland with its two wars with Russia and it would show them that such analysis does not work.

Another point is that the writers make some rather weird claims about a comparison of non-democratic and democratic countries at war. Non-democratic only use a small force initially opportunistically to attack their enemies. Maybe they should consider Hitler in the opening battle of France and Russia when he attacked with everything he had? In comparsion say to the minor forces used by democratic US in Vietman at the start.

They further go on that unlike non-democratic countries, democratic countries fight to the end. Well democratic Finland not NAZI Germany effectively surrendered in both its wars with Russia just before and during WW2. Similarly Stalin fought in Moscow as did Hitler in Berlin but democratic France did not fight in Paris, they declared it an open city.

Similarly, it was democratic Germany that made terms at the end of WW1 not NAZI Germany in WW2. It was democratic US, that made terms in the Vietnam war, not communist North Vietnam.

What I think is a problem with this book, is it is too US centered, and they are confusing great power and democracy.

A minor problem is that in an attempt to be politically correct, they tend to use the pronoun "she" rather then "he" a lot. Considering that most dictators are male, I think it became a bit of an irritant.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Do not take too seriously., June 15, 2015
I was disappointed while watching it, although to be honest I am a history bluff. The story made little sense. For a Roman legion to march to China though Parthian is impossible. Surely for a fraction of the money spent on the movie, they could have made with historians and writers a more believable plot.

The other point is that the individual fighting scenes were not especially good, certainly not up to the standard I expect from such a movie. The martial arts are not particularly good.

On the pluses, the scale of the movie, the sets and the costumes were all first rate as was the filming which was very good. I did love some of the scenes, the scene of the blind boy singing was particularly moving.

Some acting I thought was very good, I liked very much John Cusack performance. Unfortunately, I was not impressed with Jackie Chan performance, his big scenes just left me flat. Maybe because I thought his character was not particularly believable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2015 3:21 AM PDT

1915: The Movie
1915: The Movie
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A confused mish mash, June 4, 2015
Firstly, I should say although I have read a bit on the Armenian genocide, I am still not sure about whether it was a genocide or a large-scale killing. There are some important differences. Having said that for this as long as one accepts that such killing took place, this film can work for you.

Its supposed to be a deep psychological thriller, where the actors in this play start getting too caught up in the events that took place in their play that they are going to show. I confess felt almost nothing as the actors got caught up with the show. The movie does make a good point that it is the survivors that make the history.

The acting itself is okay; Simon Abkarian played well and had an interesting character.

The filming is ordinary but its good enough for what it is.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2015 4:48 AM PDT

Survivor
Survivor
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring., June 3, 2015
This review is from: Survivor (Amazon Instant Video)
It started off very good at the start but descended into boring. Its a spy/terrorist story, similar to something you would have seen many times. I gave up on it with about 20 minutes to go. I had enough. It is not bad just too much of the same sort of stuff I have seen before.

I was very disappointed with Pierce Brosnan, I think he is a lot better an actor then what this film showed. Actually I do not think anyone played well.

As I could not get into the story, the characters were not interesting either.

Maybe watch it as a TV movie

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the previous ones, June 1, 2015
Compared to the previous one, it's not as good. This is despite what appears to be a major effort, a great singer with some decent songs and a lot more money. Still I think the genius of the previous shows is lost. It one of those things, it's better while you watch it, but afterwards it's just not there.

Having said that it's a decent story. Our road warrior gets caught up in a town barely surviving in the outback in a post-apocalyptic world run by a woman. He has some adventures and gets left behind for another sequel.

The acting is okay as are the characters.

The action is pretty good.

Worth a look.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Mad max series., June 1, 2015
This is the best Mad Max; the story was really good. It continues from the earlier one where the world is breaking down more and Max teams up with some people trying to escape a criminal mob to get to their promised land.

The acting is good. I liked Michael Preston. I think the best. His character I thought was interesting.

The action is good.

The filming is good, although I must warn you to get a decent copy as there are many bad copies out there.

Yes, I would see it again.

Cold in July [Blu-ray]
Cold in July [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Michael C. Hall
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $9.83
30 used & new from $9.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing helps if the story is bad., June 1, 2015
This review is from: Cold in July [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A guy is woken at night by his wife. He gets his gun and checks out the place only to discover a burglar. Then he accidentally kills the person. Now he must face the consequences. At this part of the story, I was enjoying it and was getting excited as I saw a good movie coming. But then as the story moved on, it got stupid.

** Spoilers

That a person would care that he shot someone else did not make sense. If I shot at night, Mr. ABC and discovered that it was not Mr. ABC would I care that much? Why I did not know Mr. ABC to start off with, maybe the police made a mistake, I am just happy its over? I certainly would not go galloping away to find the truth on some vigilante crusade. Nor do I believe the police would go murder someone so amateurish to cover up a person hiding under witness protection.

The acting itself is quite good, both Michael Hall (in particular) and Sam Shepard played well; I think everyone played skilfully. They were believable there was nothing wrong there. The characters were interesting too. I really liked Michael Hall character and found him fascinating.

Would I see it again? NO would I recommend it, probably not?

I thought the filming was good.

Mad Max 4: Fury Road
Mad Max 4: Fury Road
Price: $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 1, 2015
I was getting excited about this sequel as it was about time they did another Mad Max. To prepare myself, I watched my old Mad Max DVDs. One was very good, two was brilliant, three okay and this four is rubbish.

The story of Mad Max, is quite different than the others. Max was the leader, the road warrior. This guy I am not sure what he is, he is basically replaced by a woman actor. The story itself is so weak, it about finding water, but I just lost interest in it. The WOW factor of the original story, the legend is gone.

Not one characters interested me although to be fair I lost interest so I did not care.

What is surprising is that some of the acting quite good, not that it matters as the story is so poor.

Plenty of actions, I will say that and some interesting filming there.

As a fan, I am disappointed.
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2015 3:27 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20