Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for BernardZ > Reviews

Browse

BernardZ's Profile

Customer Reviews: 609

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

BernardZ RSS Feed (Melbourne, vic Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rock the Kasbah
Rock the Kasbah
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I would say wait for TV, February 9, 2016
This review is from: Rock the Kasbah (Amazon Video)
I got bored some slick clever cynical American in the middle of the Afghanistan war. This story been so many times done that its just getting boring. The ending was not particularly good.

I did expect more as actors are very good actors.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! (English Subtitled)
Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! (English Subtitled)
Price: $3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Homes in India, February 9, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

The story was good although the ending I was not that keen on. It has several scenes that I thought were very memorable.

The characters are interesting.

I liked the filming, they must particularly with the costumes to have gone to a lot of trouble to make it right.

I think you are going to miss a lot because of the visuals if you do not see it on a big scene.

April 9th ( 9. april ) ( April Ninth ) [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.2 Import - Denmark ]
DVD ~ Lars Mikkelsen

4.0 out of 5 stars This movie made me think., February 9, 2016
Unlike the other countries that Hitler invaded, Denmark had no hope. They were not going to hold anything. Other countries for example like Norway could at least hope if they held out maybe in the British would send troops.

This film was I thought a well acted. The characters were engaging. The story was interesting. The filming was good.

As there are no big action scenes so I would not recommend running to the cinema to see it.

Steve Jobs [Blu-ray]
Steve Jobs [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Danny Boyle
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, enjoyed it a lot., February 7, 2016
This review is from: Steve Jobs [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have read the book on Steve Jobs that this film based on and I did not see the book in this movie. Maybe it is inaccurate but I tell you what the movie kept me interested throughout. In many ways, I have worked with some great people in my life, one thing they are not easy to work with and they have big egos. In Steve Job's case I think he deserved his self-esteem and self-importance with his accomplishments.

I thought the part of his daughter was over the top, I came from a similar family situation but it is Hollywood.

CHI-RAQ
CHI-RAQ
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Politically to correct for me., January 6, 2016
This review is from: CHI-RAQ (Amazon Video)
Perhaps the problem is I know the story, but somehow it just seemed silly to me. I just lost interest. Shame it could have been better

Star Wars: A New Hope
Star Wars: A New Hope
Price: $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars You can never go back!, December 28, 2015
I watched this to prepare myself for seeing the latest release.

I remember watching this many years ago. The story, I thought then was weak but the action and special effects were simply amazing. It was with a sense of wonder that I saw it. I remember how excited, I was went I talked about it with my friends.

Now I am not sure what went wrong but I thought the special effects were ordinary, the acting poor and the story particularly weak (although to be fair I remembered many of the best lines). Maybe its just the standards in such movies have improved so much since this movie came out?

In any case, I left very disappointed. This movie made history because it was so good in many ways, but those that saw it those many years ago seeing this will cannot go back to the excitement and awe it created.

Best of Enemies
Best of Enemies
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time watching it, December 5, 2015
This review is from: Best of Enemies (Amazon Video)
Gore Vidal, is a writer who had enormous influence on me though his novels and his writings. Bill Buckley had little although I have heard second-hand much about him.

Still I have heard of these debates and was interested in hearing about them.

Well I did not like the presentation like it was sporting event. The labeling to me did not make sense as liberal and conservative. Although I cannot speak of Bill Buckley, Gore Vidal is labeled a liberal, something I do not think fits would be a very extreme. An example here was it is shown Bill Buckley here is defending a liberal democratic president and mayor and Gore Vidal is criticizing them.

Possibly a better view would be that Gore was ideologically a sexual nutcase. His books were full of comments that today would be considered racial.

Also I confess while watching this documentary, I became very disappointed. I wanted to hear what these guys had to say, not what people around them thought who had won or lost. In any case it's hardly a fair sample of people given to make such a call.

Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China
Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China

4.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced that this reinterpretation succeeds., November 28, 2015
The Dowager Empresses is certainly the most important female leader in the twentieth century. For almost 40 years, she ruled China and most historians think she did not do a good job. She is blamed as a diehard conservative whose actions led to the downfall of the Qing dynasty. This book attempts a reinterpretation claiming that she was actually a progressive pragmatic reformer.

Overall, I am not convinced. I am prepared to accept that she has been made a scapegoat and blamed for much she was not responsible for, and I have to admit one observation that the most dangerous period in a conservative regime is when it reforms. She was in that period.

Possibly her worst decision was to support the Boxers. This led to a war of China against the world, If China could not defeat Japan alone what made her think that China could defeat the world?

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety by Schlosser, Eric (2013) Hardcover
52 used & new from $7.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but needs a rewrite., November 23, 2015
This book is really three books combined and intertwined, and I did not like this jumping back and forwards between these books which I think distracted from argument. I prefer a steady path starting at A and going to B.

The first book is about the Damascus Accident, when an industrial accident caused the fuel in a nuclear-armed missile to explode at a missile launch facility in Damascus, Arkansas. What happened was quite interesting. It would make a good movie.

The second book is a fascinating account of nuclear strategy. While reading it, I realized that much I learnt about nuclear strategy, in particular, flexible response with its counter force and counter city was probably an illusion. The command and control systems could not handle it once a serious nuclear conflict broke out. Nuclear war was going to be all out affair if it launched. I would very much like to read more about this.

The last book is terrible. It's a list of every conceivable accident that could have happened with the nuclear weapons and operations. The nuclear deterrence system was a huge investment in money and people. Much could have gone wrong and sometimes did. While reading through this list, I kept thinking to myself; we are talking if we include the former USSR, the US, China, France and others over 30,000 nuclear bombs and not one bomb was stolen, not one accidentally or deliberately set off by some crank went off despite some of the claims, this authors makes that it was so close. This speaks a lot about the quality and professionalism of the people on all sides of the conflict that looked after these nuclear weapons. They obviously did much right.

The Imitation Game
The Imitation Game
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It is interesting., November 13, 2015
This review is from: The Imitation Game (Amazon Video)
The problem with this movie for me is that I know too much of the story already so when I watched this I kept saying to myself, that is not what happened.

It is a fiction made to be political correct for today's market. If you think like that you probably will not be disappointed.

The story itself is interesting. It is well-played, I did like the acting. I found the characters interesting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20