Profile for William R. Weiss > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2098

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William R. Weiss "Bill" RSS Feed (Maine USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Hard Day's Night (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD)
A Hard Day's Night (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ John Lennon
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $25.49
23 used & new from $20.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Wait for it, May 8, 2014
How can ANYONE write a "customer review" of a product before it's released? Shame on Amazon for allowing this before CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays are released. Don't tell me what you THINK it will look or sound like. Wait until you've bought, seen or used the product before you pass judgement on it. I've given this 5 stars to try to offset the brain donors that gave it bad reviews before it's even been released. Even good reviews before it's released skew the score.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 6:31 PM PDT

The Complete Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles
The Complete Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles
Price: $14.99
37 used & new from $10.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Original mono singles mixes, but not the most pristine sound, March 28, 2014
I'm a long time Grass Roots fan, 56 years old. I have all of their original vinyl albums, and the following CD "best of" compilations:

The Grass Roots Greatest Hits Vol 1 (MCA 1987)
The Grass Roots Greatest Hits Vol 2 (MCA 1987)
The Grass Roots Anthology (Rhino 1991)
The Grass Roots All-Time Greatest Hits (MCA Import 1996)
The Complete Dunhill/ABC Hit Singles (Real Gone 2014)

I can appreciate the work that went into this new Real Gone CD, especially knowing the fate of most of the original mono masters. And for the life of me, I can't really tell which songs on this new CD were taken from vinyl (needle drops) and which ones were taken from master tapes, and the booklet doesn't say. But after comparing all of these CDs on my home stereo system, and ripping all of these CDs onto my hard drive using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and then comparing the wav files in Gold Wave, I can honestly say that SOUND QUALITY wise, the 1987 CDs are probably the best, sonically. YES I KNOW THEY'RE STEREO and not the mono single versions we got to know on AM radio. But from a pure SOUND QUALITY point of view...being "clean", "clear" and un-messed with as far as compression and eq, those 1987 CDs are the best overall. The 1991 Rhino set wasn't bad, but it was eq'd a bit and compressed slightly. The MCA Import "All-Time Greatest Hits" was driven a bit harder, compression-wise, and the top end was eq'd to the point of harshness.

This new Real Gone CD sounds a bit muddy by comparison to any of these other CDs. And compressed. And dare I say even a bit flat and full of midrange. Yes you might say it's "warmer" but it's not as clean. Many vocals and instruments are buried by comparison to the 1987 MCA CDs. And it's not just because those 1987 CDs are in stereo either. Those stereo master tapes really outshine the masters made and used on this new CD, clarity wise. In 1987 CDs hadn't yet entered the "loudness wars" phase, and most decent CDs were almost exact digital copies of the analog master tapes. Loads of glorious dynamic range. No-fatigue listening. Not too "digital" sounding. Just right, to me anyway. (Many 1980's CDs are now highly sought after for their sonic quality) And those CDs have what many call "sound stage" where you can not only hear the instruments cleanly, but you can also hear the space between and around them. This new CD is sadly lacking in that department. It's all in your face.

And I have to say that SOME of these mono mixes are not THAT much different from their stereo counterparts, other than the fact they're in mono. Some are quite a bit different. And call me a heathen, but for my money, the Rob Grill overdub version of "Where Were You When I Needed You" is better than the original...I just like Grill's singing better. But that's just my opinion. The Grill version was also used on the 1971 "Their 16 Greatest Hits" LP. It was also used on the 1987 Greatest Hits Vol. 1 CD. True long-time fans know that there were actually 3 different Grass Roots versions of this song with three different lead singers, before the end of 1967...Bill Fulton, P.F. Sloan and Rob Grill. And that's not counting any of the re-recorded "new versions" from the 1980's/90's.

I'm glad I have this Real Gone CD in my collection, and finally have the singles versions of these songs. This CD is definitely worth owning, but sonically those short 10 song each 1987 greatest hits CDs sound the best. Yes I know that even put together they're missing a few songs.

I'm not going to get sucked into a mono vs stereo debate, as to which mixes are better, I'm just saying that for pure sonic quality, this Real Gone CD is more like what we heard on AM radio back in the day, and (probably) less like what was heard in the studio, off the multi-tracks when these songs were recorded.

This is my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 7:48 PM PDT

Silver Dagger
Silver Dagger
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Love her voice, June 7, 2013
This review is from: Silver Dagger (MP3 Music)
I came to know of Ebony Buckle in her appearance on George Gently. She sang two songs on that episode ("Gently with Class") and they're now available for download on Amazon and iTunes. Both songs are traditional English folk songs, with new life breathed into them by Ebony and her band. Versions of "Silver Dagger" were done by Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Dolly Parton (probably the worst version ever!) and many others over the years. Listen to the preview and let this young lady's talented voice speak for itself. Then download and enjoy it. Great stuff.

Matty Groves
Matty Groves
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, June 7, 2013
This review is from: Matty Groves (MP3 Music)
I too came to know of Ebony Buckle from seeing her on George Gently. Watching her sing in that episode ("Gently with Class") it seemed to me that she was actually doing the singing - it was not dubbed in. I think I was right, and with a little Googling I found the two songs from that episode available on Amazon (also on iTunes) and I couldn't download them fast enough. "Matty Groves" is an old English folk song, also covered and made famous by Fairport Convention (and others) over the years. But Ebony Buckle's version sparkles and kicks it at the same time. Hands down it's my favorite version of this song.

Foyle's War: Set 7
Foyle's War: Set 7
DVD ~ Michael Kitchen
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $26.02
16 used & new from $20.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Still A Great Show, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Foyle's War: Set 7 (DVD)
The UK DVD's have the proper series numbers. Series 7 just came out last week in the UK, and I got mine and watched it already

To correct some of the bad misinformation that's going on here, both the UK "series 7" and the US "set 7" are the same. I buy the UK versions (a region-free DVD player is needed) because they come out months sooner than the US versions. And many times, the US versions are edited. If the series was shown here on PBS, and there is a PBS logo on the front of the DVD (ie, Downton Abbey DVD's) they are edited usually. FYI, the episode titles for series 7 AND set 7 are: The Eternity Ring, The Cage, and Sunflower. Only 3 episodes. And longtime fans of the series will probably miss the Paul Milner character, played by Anthony Howell - he's not in this series. Honeysuckle Weeks returns as Sam, but no Milner.

It was nice to see Foyle again, but it's strange that he's taking orders from others, as he's working for the government instead of the police. The "old" Foyle that I know and love would have told them to bugger off instead of letting them recruit him so easily - literally after he just gets off the ship, returning from his trip to America. Buy Foyle does get to quietly correct and politely admonish his superiors, something he's very good at. He has a quiet strength about him. If you've seen Michael Kitchen in other roles, this role is not really a stretch for him, he really does speak and act that way.

This series deals more with the post war "cold war" that was also going on in England. It's a tad darker than the first 6 series I think. Even Sam has lost some of her youthful good nature, maybe that's down to struggling through the war and it's aftermath, I don't know, but she's not as cheerful this time out.

This series may not 100% up to par with the middle series of Foyle's War, but it's still a great show. The acting is great, and if you watch a lot of British TV shows, you'll know many of the actors by sight.

So again, in England, there are and have only been 7 SERIES of this show, no matter what US TV or Acorn US has done with the numbers. They are not "seasons" in the UK, they are series. Partly because they're very short series, and they can come and go at any time, not in the autumn like here in America (I lived in London for two years). Heck, there were 4 years between the 1st and 2nd series of Fawlty Towers.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2014 5:38 AM PST

On My Mind / In My Heart
On My Mind / In My Heart
Price: $14.49
45 used & new from $3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars There's nothing like it, March 19, 2013
I've been a fan of Jesse Dee since I saw him in concert (as the opening act) with James Hunter a few years ago. This guy, with just his guitar, won over that room full of James Hunter fans after just a few songs. In some ways, their music is similar, but they differ as well. Jesse's songs are a bit more "soulful". If you listen to this CD with your eyes closed, I guarantee the image of what you hear won't match the image on the album cover. Jesse invokes the spirits of Sam Cooke, Ben E. King, Percy Sledge and others. He doesn't copy them - he's been influenced by them - writing his original songs and performing them in a soulful/bluesy way that no "white boy" from Boston has a right to. The dude nails it.

Some of these songs have been in his arsenal for a few years - I remember him doing "Sweet Tooth" live a few years ago and I love that song. Some of these songs are a bit bouncy, ("I Won't Forget About You", "On My Mind/In My Heart", "No Matter Where I Am" and "From The Start", a duet with Rachel Price) complete with really great horn sections, and some are a little edgier - "Fussin' And Fightin'". Some are more mellow - "Boundary Line" could have been sung by Percy Sledge. But it's obvious by the way that Jesse Dee wrings pure emotion out of every line, he means what he says.

To sum it up, Jesse Dee is not emulating these R&B singers of the past - though I'm sure he loves their music. These are new, original songs, done the way that only Jesse Dee can do them.

This IS Jesse Dee.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 4:15 PM PDT

Domke 725-310 FA-031 U.S. Post Office Shoulder Pad
Domke 725-310 FA-031 U.S. Post Office Shoulder Pad
Price: $14.42
13 used & new from $5.04

1.0 out of 5 stars It came apart, March 19, 2013
I used this shoulder pad for four (count 'em, 4) days and the rubber part separated from the black part. Actually, it had already begun to come apart in the package. I had one of these in the 90's and it lasted quite a while. I'm not sure what kind of glue they're using on these nowadays, but it's worthless. I should have sent it back right away, now I'm stuck with it. Maybe I'll see what type of glue/epoxy/adhesive is best for gluing quasi-foam rubber to quasi-leathery-plastic stuff and see if I can fix it.

Maybe you'll have better luck with yours than I did. Good luck.

Waiting For Herb [Expanded] (US Version)
Waiting For Herb [Expanded] (US Version)
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as MacGowan fans make it out to be, January 5, 2013
Ok, this isn't the Pogues of old. It's their sixth album, and Shane MacGowan isn't on it. Get over it. The last couple of Pogues albums WITH HIM weren't that great...he mumbled his way through the lyrics and that got old pretty fast, I think. He was such a hindrance and nuisance, being drunk all the time and not showing up for gigs, walking off stage in the middle of shows, that the band finally canned his ass. They moved on.

This album features their biggest hit in the US, "Tuesday Morning" which would reach #11. It's a catchy tune, certainly more polished and commercial than anything MacGowan ever did with the band.

Give it a couple listens and it will grow on you right away. Unless you're looking for Shane MacGowan, in which case you're looking in the wrong place.

PAUL MCCARTNEY GEORGE HARRISON & RINGO STARR SIGNED ALBUM COVER PSA/DNA #Q04997
PAUL MCCARTNEY GEORGE HARRISON & RINGO STARR SIGNED ALBUM COVER PSA/DNA #Q04997
Offered by Press Pass Collectibles
Price: $19,999.99

1.0 out of 5 stars "Are you Ringo or John?", January 4, 2013
We all know that COA's for autographs are pretty much worthless - usually the person "verifying" the signature wasn't there when the item was supposedly signed. Signatures can be faked easily enough. eBay is FULL of bogus "signed" items. One guy was even trying to sell a signed Jim Croce album that wasn't released until 2 years after his death! This guy was obviously not a Croce fan and probably not even alive in 1975, or he was still riding his Big Wheel around the driveway. He obviously didn't do any research to find out which albums were released during Croce's actual lifetime. And if you notice, most "autograph" or "signature" auctions on eBay are private? You cannot contact any prospective buyers. Why is this? An honest, decent, above-board seller should have nothing to hide. Plenty of sellers are getting rich with blue or black Sharpie pens.

How is it that on this item there is no John Lennon signature? And how is it that the "Ringo" signature was done on John Lennon's face? If this item was right, true and proper, it MIGHT be worth what the seller is asking, for all 4 signatures, but for 3? And one in the wrong place?

I'm not saying these signatures are faked, but there are millions of other "examples" of Beatles' signatures out there so you can compare for yourself. These are a bit on the "rough" side of the "normal" signatures for the 3, if you compare.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 11:16 AM PDT

NIX 12 inch Digital Photo Frame with 4GB Memory Drive - X12B
NIX 12 inch Digital Photo Frame with 4GB Memory Drive - X12B

4.0 out of 5 stars Great image quality display, December 26, 2012
This is one of the best looking digital photo frames I've seen. It's fairly simple to use, no complicated menu-sub menu-sub sub menu- sub sub sub menu system. It doesn't have any internal memory, but it comes with a 4gb flash drive.

It's meant to be a "plug and play" machine, with you inserting your USB drive it away it goes. The problem is, it starts showing the photos from the beginning every time, so you see the same images over and over again. If you have a great quantity of photos, you many not live long enough to see the later or higher-numbered images. Some frames let you make a bunch of different folders/albums, so you can pick which event, wedding or vacation you want to see. I haven't figured out how to do that on this frame, if it does it at all.

One other niggle would be that you cannot turn the frame itself vertically, to the "portrait" orientation. I recently scanned a bunch of old portraits of family members, and wanted to put them into digital photo frames and give them as gifts. I had to buy cheaper Philips frames for this purpose. Studio portraits look better when displayed in the portrait/vertical mode on a frame that is tall and skinny - they look like real portraits in frames that way. Don't get me wrong, the Nix frame will display vertical images in the middle of the screen, but only horizontal shots will fill the whole screen. And speaking of that, this is a 4:3 ratio frame, the same as computer monitors USED to be, and digital cameras when they first came out. Today's monitors and digital cameras have a 16:9 ratio, which is very wide but not very tall, the same aspect ratio as a wide screen TV. But I think 4:3 works better for showing most photos.

All in all, this is a great frame with great image quality. If you need it for video or some other purpose, your mileage may vary, but I like it a lot for photos.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3