Profile for J. Friend > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Friend RSS Feed (Los Altos, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Brightech - G4 Base 12V LED Light Bulb Replacement - Warm White Color - Disc Type Side Pin 10 Watt Halogen Replacement for RV Campers, Trailers, Boats, and Under-cabinet Lights. Warm White Light for Best Ambience and Conformt
Offered by Brightech™
Price: $10.00
2 used & new from $6.69

5.0 out of 5 stars ... low voltage lighting bulbs with these and they work great., May 7, 2015
I replaced all our exterior halogen low voltage lighting bulbs with these and they work great.

Amdro 8-Pack Ants Kills Stakes
Amdro 8-Pack Ants Kills Stakes
Price: $6.09
14 used & new from $0.97

1.0 out of 5 stars We had a recurring ant problem in our house. ..., May 7, 2015
We had a recurring ant problem in our house. I could see where the ants were living and getting into the house in the side yard. I tried using these all over that area and they did nothing to stop the issue. We had to call an exterminator who fixed the problem immediately.

NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105NA 5-Port Gigabit Switch (GS105NA)
NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105NA 5-Port Gigabit Switch (GS105NA)
Price: Click here to see our price
65 used & new from $16.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value. Plug it in and it works, May 7, 2015
Good value. Plug it in and it works. Not much else to say.

Cable Matters® 5-Pack, Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable in Black 5 Feet
Cable Matters® 5-Pack, Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable in Black 5 Feet
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 7, 2015
Good value, meets modern ethernet specs and they work.

Vanicream Lite Lotion, Pump, 16 Ounce
Vanicream Lite Lotion, Pump, 16 Ounce
Price: $10.99
15 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by my dermatologist and it works., May 7, 2015
This was first recommended to me by my dermatologist. I have very sensitive skin (it reacts to nearly anything with chemicals in it). But, this is 100% safe and effective with my skin. At the first sign of any dryness or scratchiness/itchiness due to some irritation, I apply VaniCream and it provides instant relief.

Yard Butler D-6C Manual Lawn Coring Aerator (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Yard Butler D-6C Manual Lawn Coring Aerator (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Price: $27.97
33 used & new from $23.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you follow a specific procedure, May 7, 2015
There are two keys to making this product work. 1) The ground must be reasonably soft. I'd suggest a deep watering of the area you are going to aerate the day before. 2) You must keep the inside of the hole cutting prongs completely clean. If you let any dirt dry hard on the inside of the prongs, then the plugs will not come out when you plunge this into the ground. To keep the prongs clean, I use a screwdriver to push a rag through the prongs after each use and then pull the rag back and forth through the prongs several times to wipe out any remaining dirt/mud from the inside of the prongs. As long as the inside are completely free from dried mud, then the aerated cores will pop out each time you plunge it into the ground.

Here's a tip I learned from watching golf course maintenance. If you want your aeration to last longer and be more effective, fill each aeration hole with sand after punching them (you can buy a bag of sand at the local nursery or big box hardware store). If you're rebuilding your lawn or aerating a bare spot, you can mix grass seed and a little fertilizer in with the sand and then fill the holes with that combination. You will get tufts of newly sprouted grass in each aeration hole in a couple weeks.

Reflect Shower Mirror by Mirror On A Rope - Fogless and Shadowless Mirror When Used According to Simple Instructions. Includes a Removable Adhesive Wall Hook and an Adjustible Rope.
Offered by Mirror On A Rope
Price: $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, not really fog-less, rope is useful, May 7, 2015
The product seems to work well. "Fogless" is an over-statement and the physics say that no such product exists unless the mirror is actually heated to the temperature of your shower steam. But, since this is not metal backed, it works better than other mirrors and I have no issue just wiping the fog off with my hand and then shaving. This size works nicely for shaving in the shower.

My one gripe is about the packaging. It comes with a plastic covering on the mirrored surface and that covering is very difficult to find an edge and to peel off. I really wasn't sure how to get this coating off and eventually had to risk damaging a corner of the mirrored surface to find an edge that I could start peeling it off. I did eventually get it peeled off, but it should not be this hard to do.

The rope is a nice touch since I can hang it on the shower head without having to sticky or suction cup it to the wall (both of which seem like temporary solutions destined to fail), but the rope is not risky at all and works well. Since we have hard water, I've determined that I really have to dry off the mirrored surface after each shower so it won't accumulate hardened water spots (which is what happened to the prior mirror I was using).

Transcend 64 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive - TS64GJF500E (Black)
Transcend 64 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive - TS64GJF500E (Black)
Price: Click here to see our price

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, reliable, good value for 64GB, but not fast, December 23, 2012
This drive works like a charm and it's great to have 64GB at your fingertips. I use it for transferring large amounts of data from one computer to another or as auxiliary storage on my ultrabook which only has a 128GB SSD drive and gets full sometimes when traveling.

The one gotcha with this drive is that the write speed is really slow (7 MByte/sec). I did not pay attention to that when purchasing and probably would have selected a different USB drive with a faster write speed (that also cost more). For example, some 64GB USB flash drives that $30 more can write 10x faster. Because of this slow speed, it's actually faster to copy data between computers via an ethernet network connection than it is to copy it to the flash drive first and then copy to the 2nd computer.

For example, this drive would take 78 mins to write 32GB if it was operating at its max indicated speed the whole time. A typical hard drive might be able to write 100-150MB/sec so you get an idea how slow this USB drive is. Now, it doesn't do you any good to buy a super fast USB drive if you put it in a USB2 connection which is capped at 60 MB/s anyway, but this drive goes a lot slower than that so this drive is not even held back by a USB2 port.

Summary - it's a very good price for 64GB, but it's not very fast.

Agents of Innocence: A Novel
Agents of Innocence: A Novel
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great spy novel!, June 21, 2011
I really enjoyed this book. It had been a long time since I read a good spy novel and this one didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the complexity of the plot, some education on some of the Middle East history and though I know this is fiction, it certainly got me wondering if any of this could have ever actually happened (a sign of a well written book, in my opinion).

Speed of Light
Speed of Light
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner - can't put it down, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Speed of Light (Kindle Edition)
Read this in less than 24 hours, starting on a long plane flight. It's definitely a page turner with a plot that keeps you wanting to keep reading to know what comes next and I thoroughly enjoyed the story. This book is a great deal in the Kindle format and works well on the Kindle.

Page: 1 | 2