Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for D. Hill > Reviews

Browse

D. Hill's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Hill "digahill" RSS Feed (Columbus, Ohio)

Nippon Labs HDB-252A Dual 2.5-Inch HDD/SS Plastic Bracket
Nippon Labs HDB-252A Dual 2.5-Inch HDD/SS Plastic Bracket
Offered by Nippon Labs
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars These things are horrible. They don't secure HDDs at all, March 31, 2015
These things are horrible. They don't secure HDDs at all. They try to replace screws with plastic plugs that don't work. It is laughable how bad the bracket is.

Illustrator CS3 Bible
Illustrator CS3 Bible
by Ted Alspach
56 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it trustworthy?, April 28, 2008
This review is from: Illustrator CS3 Bible (Paperback)
I purchased this book to help migrate from Fireworks 8 to Illustrator CS3. I have read six chapters so far.

Another reviewer commented on the "newspaper" pages, and while the pages are somewhat thin, it doesn't detract from my reading process.

The book's first few chapters covers all of the basics any newcomer needs to start drawing simple designs and my reading was going rather well until I read about symbols.

The author's description of a symbol is, well, nothing. The first mention of symbols is, "Since the addition of the Symbol tools in Illustrator 10, the world has never been the same. Small children can now, with ease, make a sensible drawing using the Symbol Sprayer tool."

So I read on, expecting to be enlightened, and he never even tells the reader what a symbol is, or why "the world has never been the same"! Such a bold statement with absolutely no supporting dissertation. There are 6 pages dedicated to symbols with not one mention of the fact that the concept significantly increases productivity and efficiency.

Luckily, I know enough about symbols to know the author really missed the mark, and instead of exposing their true power, passes them off as art that can be spray painted on the the canvas. Yeah, that's kind of helpful in certain situations, but those situations are far and few between.

If I wouldn't have already understood what symbols are and how they work, I wouldn't have figured it out by using this book. I am, therefor, lead to question how much information is left out. Am I going to be left in the dark on some other basic and important concepts that the author either doesn't understand or doesn't care to share? Probably.

This is the only time I have ever wanted to return a book...I simply don't think I can trust it as an authority on the subject.

Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 in C# 2005: From Novice to Professional (Beginning: From Novice to Professional)
by Matthew MacDonald
Price: $49.99
44 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so great., May 31, 2006
While I have only read around 200 of the 1000 pages in this book, I must say it is everything I expected and more. I would suggest having a general understanding of the syntax of Java or C/C++ before reading, but if you have no programming experience at all you could probably work through the initial learning curve.

The author covers most of the C# fundamentals as well as explaining why there is a need for ASP.NET. This is not a book for someone who simply wants to learn the basics of .NET 2.0 (for that, I suggest Bill Hatfields ASP.NET 2.0 for Dummies), but this is the meat, potatoes, and gravy of the framework. Matthew MacDonald explains the "whys" of the techniques he presents as well as the "hows", without being wordy or overly complex. Because of this, I find it hard to put this book down.

So far, there has not been much explanation of (X)HTML or CSS, because this book is more focused on development rather than design. While you don't need to know the intricate details of HTML or CSS to use .NET, you should have at least a basic understanding if you expect to create decent looking webpages. (There are so many resources for XHTML and CSS...try w3cshools.com for starters.)

I am a working web designer who has a need to begin developing in ASP.NET, so I knew I needed an in depth book like this. If you are unsure if .NET is right for you, I recommend reading a lighter book, such as Bill Hatfield's ASP.NET 2.0 for Dummies, before tackling what will probably be at least a two month course in learning the framework.

The only flaws I have seen in the first 200 pages are subtle, such as using the the "b" tag for bold instead of the current standard, "strong". That may be nitpicking, but I must point it out.

This book is perfect for someone who knows they want to create websites in ASP.NET, understands the basic concepts of OOP, has an intermediate knowledge of HTML and CSS design principals, and is willing to take the time to practice the examples demonstrated in the text.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2007 1:30 AM PDT