Profile for A. Frantz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Frantz RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Jet Black
PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Jet Black
Offered by Deals On Broadway
Price: Click here to see our price
81 used & new from $70.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Good battery life, September 4, 2014
I'll keep the review simple, rather than be verbose.

Pros:
1. Good battery life. Apparently there are wireless headsets for the PS4 that have almost twice the length of battery time, but others are about half of this. So I'd say it's solid at 6-8hours, and it charges pretty quickly.
2. It's compact enough for a full size headphone, because it folds up somewhat.
3. It may look cheap, but it actually seems pretty durable.
4. Audio quality is plenty good enough for gaming. This isn't an audiophile setup, and you're probably not listening to Beethoven on it.
5. Connects easily. If you can't figure out how to make this work with your PS4, you might need to update your firmware. It's pretty much as simple as it gets.
6. It's pretty inexpensive for a wireless headset, and if #5 is important, that's a big plus.

Cons:
1. It's not the most comfortable headset if you're above the age of 10. It's not that it's awful all around. It's just that it squeezes you a lot. That keeps them on firmly, and probably is good for children. The ear pads feel ok, and the headband is fine. It can stretch out vertically a fair bit, so no problems there for me. It's just like the worlds mildest vice grip on your head.
2. The VSS and other gimmicks are worthless. Make sure to download the free Sony headphone app so you can adjust the #2 setting, as needed. The buttons are easy enough to use, but aside from the volume, they aren't really anything special.
3. Someone decided to not make the dongle have a headphone input. That must be incredibly inexpensive, but they removed it in comparison to the pulse elite set (which I won't discuss as I don't have it, and don't want it). But what were they thinking. That's a huge let down that it's not essentially universally compatible with other devices. You can use it on a PC, but you can't just directly connect to whatever device you like that has a headphone or line out jack. Almost every wireless headset out there has this ability, and no the jack on the headphones itself isn't a replacement as then it's no longer wireless, which is why we're here.
4. The microphone is pretty bad. Granted, it's sleek that it doesn't have a boom mic. It's also a terrible design flaw for anyone that is responsible with their headphones. This probably goes into the bonus category, if it's for a child. There isn't something to easily break off. Sadly it also means your voice chat will be far worse than a normal gaming headset that has a boom mic. I may test out if you can use the jack on the headset to attach something like the modmic, but probably won't bother sticking a $40 mic on an $80 headset anyways.

Summation:
1. It fits great for kids. If you're an adult, it may have a bit of an annoying vice like squeeze on your temples, but it's not horrible.
2. It connects very easily to the PS4, but don't expect to use this for everything else. I haven't tried using it on the PC, mostly because of the mic (see #4).
3. Battery life is reasonable. Not amazing, but certainly not bad. More than adequate for most people. I have no complaints, but it doesn't set any awards. If you game for 8 hours straight, it's probably time to go for a walk and let it charge anyways, as that's just not healthy.
4. The mic is crummy, but see #1. At least it won't break off.
5. The build quality looks cheap, but actually seems pretty sturdy.
6. No need to plug into the controller for microphone use. It's built in with no extra wires needed, so it's true wire-free, unlike some competitors.
7. If you plan to use this primarily for solo play, with a PS4, it's a great value for the price. I'd very much recommend it. If you plan on buying a headset for frequent voice communications, or want to get a headset that works universally with other devices, this is probably not your solution.

I'm happy with mine, and don't regret the purchase at all, but I returned the second set (unopened), once I saw there were alternatives that would allow me to connect the TV, PC, and PS4, all at once, have a boom mic, and longer battery life.

/Audiophile, running AH-D7000's, with an external DAC and Amp, and a mod-mic, for PC use. Still happy enough with these for just killing time on the PS4, without using voice comms. For the price, and not a voice communication set, I think they have an excellent price point. If they had a boom mic, and an external input on the dongle, I'd rate them a 4.5 (price being a bonus).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 8:11 AM PDT

Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator
Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator
Price: $106.06
297 used & new from $69.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible but often a Requirement, June 14, 2014
It's antiquated. It's sloppy. The screen is terrible. Graphing with it is awful, annoying, and wastes a lot of time. You can't easily upload the graph, find intercepts, and so forth, with ease. Basically, it's like using a phone from 1998, compared to a laptop.

You will likely be stuck using this calculator in college because you will be required to not use modern technology. Upon graduation, it will be in your trash bin.

My review is not solely on the product, and why it may or may not be useful to you in school. I have an nspire cas, an 84, an 89, and multiple simple calculators, due to class requirements. Aside from the nspire cas, they're all outdated junk, but required for many classes. Take the 84 plus over the 83, if that's the option. It still stinks, but it's all you get to pick from.

In the real world, you will never use antiquated calculators like this again, unless you become a teacher of low level math. Keep it until you're done with college, as it is a common requirement, but realize you'll need to learn things like Excel after. Nobody uses this for engineering or mathematics, after they graduate. It's overpriced purely because it's become a common teaching requirement and can do all of the basic things you need, as long as you don't actually need it at work. I've never met an engineer, or anyone in finance, that still uses something like this.

That being said, the 84 plus is the best choice you're stuck with, if you have to pick between the 83 and 84. It's still old, and overpriced, but considering the price is almost the same, you might as well get the 84 plus if it's allowed (they're almost interchangeable except the 84 plus has more memory and runs a bit better than the 83).

Anker® AH231 USB Hub with 9 USB 3.0 Data Ports + 1 Smart Charging Port (5V / 2.1A)with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $79.99
10 used & new from $47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, February 20, 2014
Not everything I plug into it will work properly.

I realize it has a power limit, but I doubt I was hitting it with just two USB 2.0 devices. This may not be the manufacturer's fault, but I really don't know. The same devices work in my motherboard USB 3.0 slots, so it shouldn't be a compatibility issue there. The same slots on hub work fine for other devices, so it doesn't appear to be a defect of the ports.

Anyways, it's a very convenient way for me to connect a lot of low power devices without clogging up my motherboard.

I'm happy with the purchase, and would buy from Anker again. Just have realistic expectations about how certain devices are finicky about requiring their own port, and this might not work for some of them.

Mont Blanc 163-Meisterstuck Classique Platinum Rollerball Black (2865)
Mont Blanc 163-Meisterstuck Classique Platinum Rollerball Black (2865)
Offered by -DiscountShop-
Price: $299.00
23 used & new from $280.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a Pen That You Buy For the Name, January 6, 2014
What can you say about a pen, aside from how it writes and feels?

It writes well. It's very smooth. It feels great in the hand. The weight and size are a good fit for comfort, at least for this reviewer.

I received it as a gift, and would never personally spend that much for a pen that isn't solid gold.

The two reasons I give it only three stars are:
1. I see there are a lot of people that have had issues with the resin cracking, and ended up getting poor customer service. Mine has been fine so far, but I would expect it to be more durable, considering the price.
2. There's no reason anyone should pay that much for a pen, unless you're getting it for name recognition. Nothing makes this better than a typical uni-ball. For probably $15 you can get an ugly grip pen that writes just as well. You might not want to that out use at the yacht club, but then again, this is only plated platinum, and not much of it, so it's not going to impress a true snob anyways.

To sum it up, I like mine, and it writes very well, but considering the poor customer service people are having with an apparent design flaw I just don't see the value in it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 7:55 PM PDT

PlayStation 4 Console
PlayStation 4 Console
Price: $399.00
284 used & new from $353.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Scammers, November 17, 2013
This review is from: PlayStation 4 Console (Video Game)
I'm giving the PS4 only 3 stars, not because mine has issues yet, but because it's clearly a rampant problem.

It's really nice as a console, but it gets really hot. There are barely any vents, and even when just on idle it's way too hot for a console.

I'm also giving it 3 stars for all of the jerks trying to pawn off the PS4 at absurd prices here on Amazon. They go for less on ebay, BY A LOT (sorry for the caps), and will be back to a normal price soon enough. If your rugrat really needs one right away, you should have bought it from Amazon when it was at the normal price. Don't feed the trolls. Let them eat the shipping and re-sale cost. If you really need one, there are people selling for far less than the people trying to jack up the re-sale prices here. In fact, you'll likely get a better unit if you just wait until Sony addresses the heat problems anyways, so paying absurd amounts for a beta level product is just stupid.

I've personally added the re-sellers that are trying to sell at absurd prices here, to my do-not-buy-from list. The unit goes for under $600 on ebay right now, so anyone trying to sell them on Amazon for $1200 is just a scammer.

Need for Speed: Rivals
Need for Speed: Rivals
Price: Click here to see our price
95 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun!, November 17, 2013
It's really fun!

The physics are arcade style, so don't expect any realism here. That's part of the fun of the game. Of course hitting a stationary car at 150 mp/h would cause both cars to be fiery wrecks. At the same time, that's not what this game is going for.

If you enjoyed Need for Speed Hot Pursuit in the past, you'll likely really enjoy this title. It's what it should have been all along. There are improvements that could be made, but it's too much fun to think about them.

This game is arcade-style, and very good at it.

The cop cars are fun. The race cars are fun. The graphics are very good. It's a great way to blow off some steam at the end of your office job day. I highly recommend this title. The only reason I didn't get it through Amazon, to have the review listed as an Amazon purchase, is because they were out of stock at release.

Don't expect realism, or anything like that. Just get out and listen to the sirens, and kick back while blowing off some steam.

Skinomi® TechSkin - HTC Amaze 4G Screen Protector Premium HD Clear Film with Lifetime Replacement Warranty / Ultra High Definition Invisible and Anti-Bubble Crystal Shield - Retail Packaging
Offered by Skinomi
Price: $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Screen Protector Company I Use Now, November 13, 2013
It's a wet application, so you have to use common sense, and follow the instructions. It sounds like from a couple reviews here that they just didn't understand a wet application screensaver requires a 5 minute youtube video viewing the first time you do it. The results are worth it, but if you can't be arsed to follow the directions, it's on your end. If you want a crappy looking piece of plastic on your phone, with tons of air bubbles, there are plenty on the market. You can't screw them up. They look like junk, but they're idiot proof.

Aside from that, it's the best company I've used for any screen protector. I only use Skinomi now. Just make sure you follow the directions, and don't freak out the first day it's applied. You should have your battery out when you apply it, and leave it that way for 24 hours after. Make sure to use the solution on your fingers first, so you don't leave fingerprints all over it. Don't go overboard on the liquid, and don't freak out that it looks funny for a couple days. If you follow those instructions, and the ones provided with the kit, you'll have the best screensaver on the market. It doesn't degrade response much, it's thick enough to take a light gouge, and it looks fantastic if you apply it correctly. On top of that, the manufacturer has outstanding customer service.

Someone will assume I'm posting this for the company, but I'm just a person that is done with the other brands. Skinomi is all I use now. I've used them on four phones, and three tablets now. The one that got bent in the mail, was replaced with no question. The one that didn't quite fit on my gf's phone, got replaced and Skinomi slimmed the fit before sending a replacement. What more can you ask for?

Angry Birds Star Wars II
Angry Birds Star Wars II
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Refund Please, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Angry Birds Star Wars II (App)
It's full of ads, even though it's a paid app. Removed from device promptly. Please refund the purchase. Absolute garbage.

Madden NFL 25 - Xbox 360
Madden NFL 25 - Xbox 360
Price: $14.69
172 used & new from $10.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, October 21, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Madden 25 tries to become a FIFA style, pay to win genre, and fails horribly. It's not only very low skill based, but a total mess in every other respect. If you want to pay to win, you might like it. If you want a skill based game, you should skip it.

The UI is pretty bad. 2/5

The graphics are decent. 4/5

There are in-game advertisements all over the place (and not just for DLC type things). -5 for paying to watch candy bar ads.

The audio is ok. 3/5

The replays look good, but because the realism is so bad, it doesn't really matter. 3/5

The pay to win aspect of the online ultimate team mode is a -5.

Unfortunately I bought this game via the download version, or I would just sell it off. Terrible pay to win style game. Hopefully this will end the franchise. I miss when the madden games were made by good programmers, and before EA became a pay-to-win style of play.

I don't plan on purchasing anymore of the madden games, if this the route they're taking.

Mediabridge Toslink Cable (3 Feet) - Optical Digital Audio Cable
Mediabridge Toslink Cable (3 Feet) - Optical Digital Audio Cable
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $5.69
4 used & new from $5.69

3.0 out of 5 stars My Connector Was No Good, October 11, 2013
I ordered this cable based on all of the positive reviews.

The connectors on mine were no good. I could get a static noise, no sound, or somewhat ok sound, depending on if I held it there and adjusted it. The connectors were also extremely tight fitting, and concerned me in that regard. I used two of my other cables to test for the issue, and they worked perfectly.

I've purchased other mediabridge items and had no problems with them, so I'm hoping that this one was just a fluke.

With that said, I'm going to order another brand as a replacement, and put this one in the trash. The basic Amazon generic cable is still working very well for me, and has none of the issues I described, so I'll order another one of those.

I probably just had bad luck, but I thought I would share my experience.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2013 8:32 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3