Profile for Frank Rhee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Frank Rhee RSS Feed (the Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Thing
The Thing
DVD ~ Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Price: $9.99
95 used & new from $1.78

1.0 out of 5 stars The Thing That Should Have Been Left Alone, November 12, 2012
This review is from: The Thing (DVD)
To cut to the chase immediately: this movie should not have been made. It should have been left alone for another 30 years. At least by the screenwriter and director or whoever thought up this piece of drivel. What an awful, boring, unimaginative movie. The most suspenseful part are the end credits. It was not until I heard the familiar, eerie original 1982 soundtrack that my heart started beating a little faster. This movie could and should and was supposed to have been so much better. Its brilliant predecessor (John Carpenter's 1982 film of the same name) hit the movie theaters 30 years ago. So the makers have had aeons to dream up and produce a more worthy sequel (or in this case prequel). They utterly failed. It feels rushed, there's not the slightest build-up of tension and suspense and the characters are made of cardboard. The monster is boring too and without any variation. The film is moronic, full of plot holes and illogical. The team of scientists discover what is the greatest find in human history and they treat it like they just discovered a, well , a rusty bike really. They store it in a shed under a tarpaulin and seem to be much more interested in food and drinks. After drilling holes in it they immediately go about their daily business again. These people are scientists, mind you, not engineers or oilworkers. You really don't care who gets absorbed by the monster and who doesn't. They walk out the door as if they are in a holiday camp somewhere in Norway or Sweden. The milder southern parts of these countries, mind you. The cold doesn't seem to bother them nor does their breath fog up. The snowcats are deliberately sabotaged to prevent the monster from infesting the populated parts of the world, but when the heroine chases the monster, they are easily fixed again and used as chase vehicle. Making remakes of classic movies is a very dangerous thing. It is not the 1982 John Carpenter original (which was in itself a remake of a 50s movie of the same name), but this 2011 remake which is in dire need of being remade. Preferably soon. To people who love the John Carpenter original and are curious about this prequel --like I was-- I would like to say: don't bother, it's an utter waste of time and if you do watch it, you will feel so disappointed afterwards. I deliberately avoided reading the reviews in order not to spoil the fun. The film's director, Mr Matthijs Van Heijningen Jr ( a fellow Dutchman if I am not mistaken) might want to consider creeping into the flying saucer buried under the polar ice, hide in a cupboard somewhere and cry his eyes out for this wasted opportunity for at least a decade or so. Because a wasted opportunity this is, if ever there was one.

11/22/63: A Novel
11/22/63: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is a rip off !, November 11, 2011
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
My rating and review focus on the Kindle version of the book, not the novel itself. The Kindle-version costs almost $ 20.00. That is a rip-off. The most I ever paid for a Kindle e-book. I understand that it is so expensive because it contains audio and video. But I did not ask for that, I am a Constant Reader who just wants the story, without any frills or extras. Amazon, please explain to me why it is cheaper for me to order a hardcover version of this book and have it sent to me all the way across the Atlantic to the Netherlands than ordering the Kindle version which is electronically transported in a few seconds. You can't (and probably won't)! I was seriously tempted to buy the hardcover version, but my bookcase is already crammed with Stephen King novels and I simply lack the space for another hefty tome. Nor do I wish to lift it when I can read it much more comfortably on my Kindle. This is no way for SK to treat his Constant Readers. Nor for Amazon. Bah ! If this is the future for Kindle books it may be short-lived.
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2011 7:06 PM PST

Battle: Los Angeles
Battle: Los Angeles
DVD ~ Aaron Eckhart
Price: $5.00
186 used & new from $0.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost battle, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Battle: Los Angeles (DVD)
A terrible movie and a complete waste of time, unless you are a big fan of computer games such as Call of Duty World at War and Black Ops. It is an almost uninterrupted orgy of noise and screams. After ten minutes I was totally exhausted. The characters are completely one-dimensional. Macho men running and shooting at everything that moves. They communicate by cliche oneliners. The storyline is as flat as the heartbeat of a recently deceased person. After fifteen minutes or so, I was so bored, numbed and fed up by it all that I "switched off", crept behind my newspaper and left it to my son and his friends to complete the viewing. From behind the newspaper I patiently endured the endless string of gunshots, explosions and shouted commands. Do not be fooled: there's hardly any science in this fiction, it's just a "one-in-a-dozen" war movie. I cherished the silence as almost never before when at last the TV set was switched off. I couldn't have cared less if the aliens had won.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2011 10:16 AM PDT

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power
by Daniel Yergin
327 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A true prize indeed !, January 12, 2011
Daniel Yergin's "The Prize" is a true prize indeed. What a fascinating book ! I got it as a present in 1996 from a business relation and since then I have read it twice. It is one of the ten best books that I have read in my life, and I have read a lot ! Being 51 years of age now, I grew up with books. Although it might be branded as a "history book" it certainly doesn't feel and read that way. At more than 900 pages it is a lengthy read. I truly hope it will be available as a Kindle e-book anytime soon so I don't have to carry around this hefty but spell-binding tome when I want to read it for a third time. If you are looking for an understanding of the oil industry and the global power it exerts in society and politics, I highly recommend this excellent book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 7:21 AM PDT

Full Dark, No Stars
Full Dark, No Stars
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Full rip-off, no quarter given, November 17, 2010
My review concerns the Kindle e-book download, not the quality of SK's latest work of fiction.
At first I could not believe my eyes: the Kindle download is more expensive than the hardcover version. This is outrageous!
Can anybody explain why? Way to go for Kindle e-books..........NOT !
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2010 3:25 PM PST

Under the Dome: A Novel
Under the Dome: A Novel
by Stephen King
Price: $23.79
470 used & new from $0.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Under the spell ........again, January 12, 2010
I have been a huge SK fan for most of my adult life. In 1978, I picked up an almost brand new copy of his 3rd book (The Shining) at the local library and I have been hooked on the works of this formidable writer ever since. I own all of his books and I read most of them more than two or three times. After all these years, I am still Riding With The King. It is with great anticipation that I picked up Under The Dome. It is lengthy. It is good. Really good. Really really good. But --alas-- not great. Some people have compared UTD with his magnum opus "The Stand", but in my humble opinion, it does not have the consistency and greatness of this absolute masterpiece. There are some parts of UTD that I found very thrilling and which merit 5 stars in and by themselves, but there were also slow and --dare I say it?-- slightly boring sequences here and there. Some of the leading characters in UTD simply lack the warmth and fascination that some of the leading characters from older works have brought, such as Stuart Redman (The Stand), Johnny Smith (The Dead Zone) and Bill Denbrough (It). But as a whole, UTD is a hugely satisfying and rewarding read. I can recommend it to everyone, Constant Readers and people who pick up a King book for the first time alike.

Quantum of Solace
Quantum of Solace
DVD ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by Media Favorites
Price: $8.61
170 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality of [...], March 30, 2009
This review is from: Quantum of Solace (DVD)
To me, Quantum of Solace was a complete and utter letdown ! I saw and liked its direct predecessor Casino Royale, so my expectations were high. But I found some parts of QoS to be almost unwatchable. Did the editor go mad or was he doped up when he cut this movie? The action sequences comprise of extremely short, blurry images that pass with machinegun-speed. They produce an almost stroboscopic effect that literally hurts your eyes and numbs your mind and leaves you unsure of what's happened. At home, you can rewind the DVD player to watch it again. In the movie theater, you're hopefully lost. The result is a physically exhausting film experience after a mere five minutes of play. I almost switched the DVD-player off there and then. I know that the pace of (action) movies has picked up considerably since the nineties, and in general that is a good thing. But the pace of the action sequences of QoS is ridiculous and an insult to moviegoers. My young adult children (18 and 16) complained about this too, so thankfully I am not alone in this respect. Just lately, I began to fear that I have trouble coping with the increasing pace of today's movies because I have turned middle-age. Clearly this is not the case, then ! The action and violence in QoS is gritty and realistic, almost clinical. And I love Daniel Craig as the new JB. Five stars for him. But QoS the movie seems to have no discernible plot and what little plot there is is enigmatic (not in the positive sense), vague, illogical and lacks coherence. This quickly becomes annoying to the extreme. You never have an idea what's going to happen next and --most important--why. I am very happy with "the new JB" as portrayed by Daniel Craig, but QoS is definitely not the way forward with the JB-franchise.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 10:26 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more impact than seven pounds, January 2, 2009
"Seven Pounds" starts slow and is very confusing at first, but as a whole I found it to be a deeply rewarding and moving film. The story is carried almost entirely by Will Smith, who brings another excellent performance to the screen. It takes very long for the plot to unravel and for the viewer to understand what the story is all about. Tediously slow the greater picture is revealed. The misdirection and "beating about the bush" goes on for quite a while. This may cause some people to get a little irritated. I know I did. However, understanding gradually dawned and it was at that moment that the film really got an impact that far outweighs seven pounds. It was also then that I understood --or at least thought I understood-- its mystical title. This is a film that you will definitely remember and that will stay with you for a while after leaving the movie theatre. I recommend it. Hats off for Mr Smith's performance and also for the director. Together they succeeded in making a realistic and touching movie without any melodrama.

Wall-E (Single-Disc Edition)
Wall-E (Single-Disc Edition)
DVD ~ Ben Burtt
Price: $9.99
86 used & new from $3.16

3.0 out of 5 stars It had to happen some day ..., August 20, 2008
This review is from: Wall-E (Single-Disc Edition) (DVD)
It had to happen someday....a less than perfect Pixar movie. And unfortunately it did happen! Pixar's Wall-E is a good movie. I would even say a great movie. But unlike its predecessors not a "wow"-movie. Not a "super"movie. Not an "it knocked off my socks" movie. Not a "boy that was absolutely stunning could I please see that again straight away"-movie. When I walked out of the theatre with my family I was actually surprised to find myself a little bit disappointed. After all, this was the latest Pixar, right ? I so much wanted to like and appreciate this movie like all the others. But the immense measure of satisfaction, joy and elation that had been there all previous times --the "adrenaline rush"-- was missing this time out. Oh, Wall-E is good and entertaining enough and still of exceptionally high overall quality, but something's missing this time and I don't exactly know what. The magic, I suppose.
The Wall-E character is totally endearing but I found it is the only really endearing and interesting character. EVE isn't particularly cute or spectacular. Just an egg with two blue dots for eyes, really. Even when I imagine myself being in Wall-E's shoes (or perhaps I should say on his caterpillar treads), I find it difficult to believe I could fall in love with her, no matter how lonely I would be. In my opinion they could and should have come up with something better. Where previous Pixar movies were an absolute feast of bright colours, eye-catching vistas and exotic shapes and characters, the sets and scenes of Wall-E are mostly dark, drab and devoid of colour. And where there is colour (in the spaceship and the various robots), it is mainly sharp, cold and fluorescent. The animated movie "Robots" of a rivaling company, that came out a few years ago, was much more colourful and exiting in this respect. Wall-E alternates between tediously slow scenes and moments of intense and fast paced action. So fast paced actually that a few times I didn't quite catch what was happening. After half an hour or so the robot bleeps, beeps, pings, pongs, etc. became a little annoying too. I found myself yearning for some spoken dialogue. The plot is a bit simple. That may be OK for smaller kids, but it is too simple for adults. It is in this respect too that Wall-E differs from --for instance-- The Incredibles or Ratatouille. The overall message Pixar wants to convey is OK, but I feel it could have been elaborated more interesting and spectacular. I find that Wall-E as a movie is OK, even great, but definitely not on a par with previous Pixar movies. If you compare it with other animated movies, it still sticks out with head and shoulders above the rest. But unfortunately this is not a common animated movie but a Pixar movie --which is in a league of its own-- so I must compare it with Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Cars, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Toy Story 1 and 2. I am definitely going to buy the Wall-E DVD, later on, and watch it again. Perhaps because it is different from the rest it has to grow on you and you must see it twice to really appreciate and enjoy it, whereas other Pixars caught on immediately and found a place in my heart after the first viewing. I truly hope that this is so.

I Am Legend (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition)
I Am Legend (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition)
DVD ~ Will Smith
Price: Click here to see our price
393 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly flawed masterpiece, June 25, 2008
I am Legend is an absolutely brilliant and fascinating movie. Breathtaking scenery and an impressive silence which dominates a large part of the movie. As far as I am concerned it has only one slight flaw: the use of CGI generated creatures instead of flesh and blood actors. Why the makers opted for this is beyond me, because real actors would have been much cheaper I think and the creatures aren't exotic or weird at all, merely hyper-agressive zombies. In my opinion simple make-up would have done the trick quite excellently. It does not subtract from the tension, though, which is riveting, but for me it would have been the icing on top of the cake. For this reason and this reason only I award it 4 stars instead of 5. Now I must go and read the original novel by Richard Matheson as quickly as possible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3