Profile for squirrel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 48

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

squirrel RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
San Goku Shi DS 2 [Japan Import]
San Goku Shi DS 2 [Japan Import]
Offered by TOP SHOP JAPAN
Price: $95.44
51 used & new from $24.60

5.0 out of 5 stars An improvement over an already good original game, September 12, 2011
--GRAPHICS-- 4.5 of 5
The character portraits got a huge upgrade compared to the original - they look very realistic.

The world map took a dive though - the world map was beautiful for SNES, one of the best graphics I've seen on SNES with a slight 3-D touch. The world map is now 2-D for the DS.

--MUSIC-- 3 of 5
The main themes are the same as SNES. A few new ones were added for the special events. Although I didn't like most of the music, there is an option of turning off the music and/or sound effects. So whenever a theme I didn't like came on, I could just turn it off and listen to my own music while keeping the sound effects on.

--GAMEPLAY-- 4.5 of 5
PROS (or improvements over RTK IV):
* Intelligence 100 will result in 100% success for Chouhou (raising a city's stats for free).
* Can create a 100 for a stat(s) now.
* Can delete characters now.
* Can change the ginou (skills) they learn.
* Tousotsu (leadership) is now defense, while Buryoku (strength) is now offense.
* The new skills such as Tosshin (for horses) and Rensha (for bows) do a ton of damage.
* Lots of new characters were added, such as the women from that era and people mentioned in history but not mentioned in the novel.

CONS:
* Attack bug: There is a bug where if you attack a certain city from a certain city, the game will freeze.
* Rensa (extra attack) bug: There is a bug in certain cities where if there is a Rensa (extra attack), the game will freeze.
* Save bug: if you try to save during a certain battles, the game will freeze.
* Moving prisoners bug: regardless of which prisoners you choose to move, the only ones that will move are the first ones on the list.
* Kiryoku (energy) does not regenerate any more, and now the Ginou (skills) use so much Kiryoku (energy) that a unit could run out of energy after 4 uses. But this can be compensated for with the Ginou "Haou" (use half energy) and "Kobu" (recover 20 energy).
* In order to get all of the extra characters, you have to download them via wi-fi. This really sucks for people who don't have wi-fi like me.
* In order to get the final 2 female characters, you have to get every single character in the game on your side at least once. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't so difficult to capture the barbarians - you have to hope that the barbarians attack you, and then hope that you can capture them. This has never happened for me on the DS 2; it only happened a few times for SNES.
* The CPU is stupid and easy to beat even on high difficulty. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if I could play more than 1 ruler at a time and play VS myself, but this game is 1 player only.
* Castle battles are still all similar and too easy compared to RTK III, where each castle was different and not that easy to capture. Although this is a remake, I wish they had changed the castle battles so they are more challenging and interesting.

--CONCLUSION-- 4.5 OF 5
Despite the flaws, this re-release of RTK IV is a considerable improvement. The Ginou (skills) make the battles much more exciting than RTK IV, and the portraits are beautiful to look at. It's also very fun to make new characters. I would totally recommend this to any RTK fan, and even non-RTK fans because of the tutorial. Of the RTK games I've played (III, IV, and DS 2), this is clearly the best.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI: Awakening of the Dragon
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI: Awakening of the Dragon
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $99.99
22 used & new from $5.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice intros, music, & graphics, but I couldn't figure out what to do, August 22, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
GRAPHICS: 4 OF 5
Not as good as Final Fantasy, but still pretty good. But I didn't like how the soldiers were hard to see. It was nice to see characters move during conversations, but I wish they were a little bigger.

MUSIC: 4 OF 5
I liked many of the tunes from this game and still listen to some of the tracks today.

STORY: 5 OF 5
A considerable upgrade from RTK 3 and 4 in the respect that there are intros for each ruler. Before I started the game, I just watched all of the intros because they were that interesting.

GAMEPLAY: 1 OF 5
Although I consider myself a seasoned RTK gamer (I've played RTK 3 and 4), this one was a little beyond me. It seemed like I had too much time with nothing to do. Not having to train troops seemed very strange to me. Many of the monthly commands I gave in RTK 3 and 4 simply didn't seem to apply to this game. I ended up abandoning the game in the end without even winning a single battle because I didn't know what to do.

Regarding the battle system, I've heard that this RTK is the last game in the series that didn't have the cheap and unrealistic skills of controlling weather, but after watching the battles of the CPU fight itself, I didn't see what the appeal of the battles was in this game.

CONCLUSION: 2 OF 5
I would give this game a 1 of 5, but I give it a 2 because of the music, graphics, and intros. I really wanted to have fun playing this game, but just couldn't figure out what to do. If I was totally new to the RTK series, that would be understandable, but since I've beat RTK 3 and 4 well over a dozen times, I have to conclude that this RTK game is simply not very user friendly. I still have this game and would like to play it all the way through one day, but until I can figure out what to do, I'm forced to give this game a 2 of 5.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire - Nintendo Super NES
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire - Nintendo Super NES
27 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Although battles can become too easy, this is a great improvement over RTK 3, August 22, 2011
GRAPHICS: 4 OF 5
I really liked the world map - it was very high quality, even for SNES.

The only reason I give the graphics 4 of 5 instead of a 5 of 5 is because the graphics for the officers took a step backwards from RTK 3. Somehow, the character graphics were more realistic for RTK 3 than for this game.

MUSIC: 3 OF 5
A few of the tunes were good, some were okay, and some were lame. I'm usually not that harsh when it comes to judging music, but some of the tunes were so bad, I wish I had a mute button to turn it off.

STORY: 4 OF 5
Similar to RTK 3, this game does not have different intros for each ruler as RTK 6 does. The endings are also the same. But as is the case with RTK games, the replay value is high.

GAMEPLAY: 4 OF 5
PROS:
* Menu system is much improved compared to RTK 3.
* Troop distribution is much more flexible compared to RTK 3.
* I can give commands to my cities in any order I like.
* Unlike RTK 3, I can now give commands to any city, regardless of the rank of who is there.
* The idea of giving skills to officers made them more unique and valuable.

CONS:
* The trade option in RTK 3 was eliminated. Very disappointing.
* Once I get the battering ram and catapult, the battles are too easy to win.

CONCLUSION: 4 OF 5
A very good RTK game, much more user friendly than RTK 3. The only significant flaw is that the battles can become too easy once a battering ram or catapult is built. I minimized this flaw by only using battering rams, which made the battles more difficult because I had to move closer to hit the castle gate, which left it susceptible to boulders. I still won most of my battles, but this did add some difficulty. I would recommend this game to any fan of the series.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms III: Dragon of Destiny - Nintendo Super NES
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III: Dragon of Destiny - Nintendo Super NES
20 used & new from $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good battle system, but has some very bad user unfriendly mechanics, August 21, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
GRAPHICS: 3 OF 5
The graphics are okay - not as good as Square games like Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy, but about the level of Dragonquest. I did like the character graphics for this game much better than RTK 4 though.

MUSIC: 4 OF 5
I liked most of the music, and even listen to the soundtrack every so often even today. I liked how some of the songs sound very Chinese. One of the tracks halfway through the game was really annoying though.

STORY: 4 OF 5
There really isn't much of a story to these types of games, but it's not entirely satisfying that there isn't a different ending for each ruler. I loved the individual intros for each ruler in RTK 6; there is none of that here. But other than that, this game has excellent replay value because no two games are alike - different rulers will become stronger or weaker, and there is no way to predict variables such as bad weather or when an enemy will attack you.

GAMEPLAY: 3 OF 5
I really like the battles, but the menu system is frustrating.

PROS:
* The castle battles were very challenging because it was very difficult to win. In RTK 4, it is way too easy - you just use the battering ram or catapult to bust open the castle gate and it's over. You can't do that in this game.
* The field battles are much better than RTK 4. I love the fact that you can't see everything at night - it makes the battles more realistic.

CONS:
* The organization of soldiers was a little inefficient. For example, in RTK 4, whenever there is a battle, I could choose how many troops to give to each officer. In this game, I have to assign soldiers ahead of time.
* It is much more difficult to plan commands in this game than RTK 4. In RTK 4, I can give orders to my cities in any order I like. In this game, the order is set, which makes it difficult to plan orders like moving soldiers, officers, and items.

CONCLUSION: 3 OF 5
I wanted to give this game a 4 of 5, but the menu system is just too frustrating. After seeing the user friendliness of RTK 4's menu system, it is very difficult to want to play this game despite the excellent battle system.

Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy V Advance
Offered by e-ShopaHolics
Price: $89.00
43 used & new from $18.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Horrible story and characters, but one of the best class systems ever, August 6, 2011
---GRAPHICS: 4 OF 5---
Some of the graphics are good, such as the detail on big characters, such as Ex Death and Gilgamesh. The graphics for the ending was of FF 6 level. I really liked the graphics for Bahamut, Meteor, and Odin :)

But overall, even for a SNES generation game, it was ok. I prefer the graphics of Secret of Mana and Dragonquest 3 (remake for Super Famicom).

---MUSIC: 3 OF 5---
Overall, the music was ok. Some of the tracks are good (especially the ending track), others are ok, and 1 was annoying (the pounding music in the flying machine). I'd say FF 6 is better mainly because of the opening theme and main theme on the field (Tina's/Terra's theme).

---CHARACTERS: 1 OF 5---
Very shallow and too predictable with the exception of Gilgamesh.

---STORY: 1 OF 5
If at least one of the characters was dead when Ex Death was defeated, the ending is excellent - one of the best I've ever seen. But other than the ending, the story is horrible, among the worst of all the SNES RPGs I've played.

---BATTLE SYSTEM: 5 OF 5---
PROS:
The main reason to play this game is for the job system. Unlike the Dragonquest games, the classes are well defined, unique, and balanced for the most part. There are a good number of nice combos that are possible with the abilities, and as others have pointed out, many different ways to defeat the enemy.

Leveling up the jobs is balanced as well - although the fights in the beginning mainly give only 1 to 2 ability points, this goes up considerably towards the end, to a max of 199 ABP from a single battle, and 5 guaranteed battles that reward 100 ABP each. This helps if you screwed up leveling up the wrong classes in the beginning - you can always make up for the mistakes at the end.

CONS:
One flaw of this system is that with enough leveling up, all the characters can become overpowered and lose their uniqueness. For example, if I have every character learn every single ability and then switch to the bare class, there is no point in giving them different names or faces anymore because they will be clones. However, there is a way to prevent this from happening - just stop leveling up jobs after a certain point. I follow the personal rule of mastering each job only once (by any character). I was able to beat both secret bosses even while following this rule, so it's not necessary (and not as challenging) to overpower all my characters as some strategy guides suggest. I give the battle system 5 despite this flaw because there is enough flexibility to give the player the option to keep the characters from becoming overpowered. This is much better than the reverse - if the characters are underpowered, there's nothing I can do about it (a common problem in the Dragonquest series).

Another flaw is how the abilities for magic are way more overpowered than a non-magic ability. For one slot, I can get 15 - 18 different options for a magic ability, while I can only have 1 option for non-magic spells. Because there can only be up to 3 slots for abilities per character, I wasn't able to attach as many abilities as I preferred (FF 7 helps solve this problem). It would have been better balanced if there was a single slot for all the abilities of each job. Although this is a minor flaw, it would have made the game more balanced and more enjoyable.

---SIDE QUESTS: 5 OF 5---
Of the all the video games I've ever played, this game had the best side quests of all of them. Sure, I could go to the last dungeon without the legendary weapons and spells, but having them makes a humongous difference. It's also nice that there are 2 secret bosses who are very powerful. Final Fantasy 7 also had side quests, but spells like Knights of the Round Table were too powerful. FF 5's side quests are well balanced - powerful, but not too powerful, with reasonable difficulty to complete.

---CONCLUSION: 4 OF 5---
Although the story is forgettable, this game has amazing replay value because of the job/ability system and how early class change is permitted (within an hour).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 12:28 PM PDT

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $199.99
270 used & new from $21.85

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games I've ever played, August 1, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
---GRAPHICS: 4 of 5---
MOVIES: 5 OF 5
The graphics for the opening sequence was amazing - a huge jump from the graphics in FF 6. Right from the start you could tell that the graphics for this game was going to be of a level that we had never seen before on SNES.

WORLD MAP: 5 OF 5
The 3-D, rotatable graphics on the world map was also amazing - there were times I would just walk around just to look at the graphics - it really felt like I was there.

BATTLE: 5 OF 5
* It was really nice to see a character with realistic proportions fight instead of the deformed chibis we saw in FF 6 and before.
* It was really cool how the characters flashed before doing a limit break. Reminds me of Street Fighter characters right before they do a super combo.
* It was interesting how each character had a different winning pose.
* A movie for the summons was nice, although it got time-consuming after a while.

EVERYWHERE ELSE: 1 OF 5
Outside of the movies and world map field, the characters were so tiny they were hard to see. I can't count the number of times I got lost. And when there was a closeup of the characters, they were very blocky and of low quality. Even if the graphics are beautiful, if I can't see where my characters and the exits are, then it's more of a hindrance than a sight to behold.

---MUSIC: 4 of 5---
Some of the songs for this soundtracks are the best video game music I've ever heard - in fact, my most listened to song on my iPod is the world map theme song, which I've listened to over 2,000 times. I also like the Battle music, the music on the bridge (slower version of theme song), Anxiety, the opening movie theme song, and Yuffie's hometown song.

The only reason I give the music 4 of 5 is because some of the music was annoying, such as the slum music. Was I happy to get out of there.

---STORY & CHARACTERS: 5 OF 5---
PROS:
* Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Barrett, and Yuffie are easily among my most favorite video game characters of all-time.
* The date scene for all of the characters was interesting and even very humorous depending on what choices you made.
* Aeris was developed so well that she was the reason I cried while playing a video game.
* I also like some of the sub characters, like Elena, the man and woman with a distinctive laugh, and the boss who didn't like the man's laugh. The only other sub characters I've ever liked are Tanya from DQ 6 and Gilgamesh from FF 5. To have 4 interesting sub characters come from a single game is simply amazing character development.

CONS:
* Cloud's memory loss was implausible and confusing.
* Whatever happened to Sepiroth in the end to become whatever he became was so confusing I still don't understand what happened to him to this day.
* I don't understand why a mechanic is an expert with the spear.
* Vincent was developed poorly - he was not memorable to me at all.
* Stats wise, the characters aren't different enough. It doesn't really matter who you give materia to, they can still be just as effective as the next character if certain stats boosts like HP up are added.

Despite the flaws, any video game that can make me cry deserves a 5 of 5 for story & character development.

---BATTLE SYSTEM: 5 OF 5---
This is hands down the best battle system I've ever seen.
PROS:
* Pace that abilities and spells are learned is perfect with the ability system and slots.
* The types of combos that could be made with the materia was simply amazing.
* The idea of using slots helped to minimize any single character from becoming overpowered.
* Limit Breaks was a very innovative idea.

CONS:
* Having more than 1 of each materia could lead to insane overpowering, such as having 8 counters.
* Most of the Limit Breaks are the same - they just do damage. I wish there was more variety.
* Summons could use more variety - 3 Bahamuts were excessive. I missed the Golem and Carbunkle.
* Getting the materia that had a lot of abilities in it led to overpowering characters.
* Only 3 characters in at a time without being able to switch out hurt.

Although this system had some flaws, it's clearly the best I've ever seen before and since. I really wish the later FF games improved on this to make it perfect.

---MINI GAMES: 3 OF 5---
PROS:
* I really loved the Snowboarding & Condor Fort.

CONS:
* I died multiple times trying to beat the submarine mini game.
* Some of the mini games were annoying to beat, like doing the correct soldier moves. Can I just defeat a tough monster instead of playing these silly games?

---CONCLUSION: 5 of 5---
FF 7 is by no means a perfect game and has its share of flaws. However, the good points of this game outshine the flaws to such a point that I have no choice to give it a 5 of 5. I never thought in my wildest dreams that a video game could make me cry. Clearly one of the best games I've ever played in my life.

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - Nintendo DS
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - Nintendo DS
Offered by Techno Dealz
Price: $55.85
65 used & new from $24.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Dragonquest game, August 1, 2011
STORY: 5 of 5
A very good story. The part where the hero and Bianca go to the haunted castle is my favorite scene of all the Dragonquest games. Getting married was also interesting.

CHARACTERS: 4 of 5
Bianca is one of my most favorite characters of all the DQ series. However, I can't say the same about the others. Not only were the other human characters not memorable, their stats weren't that great or well-defined. In fact, I liked the monsters better than the other humans.

Concerning the wives, Flora and Deborah's characters weren't developed enough to the point that I would want to marry either of them - the game is clearly biased toward Bianca. If the choices were developed as well as the FF 7 characters Aeris and Tifa, I think everyone would have a hard time choosing between them because both were equally well developed. I really wish DQ 5 had a wife choice that rivaled Bianca, such as the DQ 4 characters Alena, Minea, or Manya. If those were the choices, I'd have to play the game 4 times so I can choose them all. I really couldn't care less about Flora or Deborah.

But despite these flaws, Bianca more than makes up for it.

WORLD: 5 of 5
A typical DQ world with no flaws except that it's not as big as the DQ 6 world.

BATTLE SYSTEM: 5 of 5
Despite its simplicity, the battle system for DQ 5 is one of the best I've ever seen. What really makes the battle system fun is being able to make monsters into teammates - not knowing who will become your next teammate and trying to decide who to keep when you reach the maximum number made this game more fun than all of the DQ games I've played. And add to that, since no class change is permitted in this game, all the characters stay unique and don't become overpowered.

I also loved the fact that unlike humans, monsters have resistance versus certain attacks. Although the humans typically had more spells, the resistance the monsters had made them equally as valuable. Perfect balance.

The battle system for this game is even better than DQ 4 - if I had to rank each from a scale of 0 to 100, I would give DQ 4 a 90 of 100, and DQ 5 a 99 of 100 because of the monster teammates.

CONCLUSION: 5 OF 5
Despite some of the flaws of this game, I still like DQ 5 the best of all the DQ games I've played (DQ 1-6 & 9). From a scale 0 to 100, I wouldn't give it a 100 because I think it could be improved upon, but if I had to choose between a 4 or 5, I choose a 5.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 9:23 PM PST

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Nintendo DS
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Nintendo DS
Offered by Hooktown Games
Price: $84.18
26 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good Japanese RPG, one of the best of the DQ series, August 1, 2011
STORY: 4 OF 5
It was a real drag going through the boring chapters in the beginning. I only enjoyed the chapters with Alena and the dancers (Minea and Manya). I would say the beginning of the game was a 2 of 5.

But once all the teammates were together, the story was a typical, fun DQ adventure, a 5 of 5.

CHARACTERS: 5 OF 5
The conversations of Alena, Clifuto, Burai, Minea, and Manya made the characters come alive to an amazing degree. The conversations in this game are clearly the best of all the DQ games I've played (DQ 1-6 & 9). I would say the character development in this game rivals that of FF 7.

WORLD: 5 of 5
The world is a typical DQ world. No faults that I can recall except that it's not as big as DQ 6.

BATTLE SYSTEM: 5 of 5
I love how all the characters are unique and their roles are clearly defined, which is not the case for the later DQ games such as DQ 6, and DQ 9. No one is overpowered, making them all unique and valuable.

CONCLUSION: 4 of 5
This is clearly one of the best DQ games I've ever played. The only reason I don't give it a 5 is because some of the early chapters bored me to tears. If it wasn't for those boring chapters, I would have given this game a perfect score.

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Nintendo DS
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Nintendo DS
Offered by Fulfillinc
Price: $36.51
71 used & new from $16.77

4.0 out of 5 stars great story and worlds, ok characters, bad class system, August 1, 2011
--REMAKE VS ORIGINAL:--
PROS:
* Compared to the original, the graphics are improved.
* Metal Slime can now be made a teammate easily.
* Terry was powered up so that he has already learned all the martial arts skills.
* According to other gamers, the monsters were made a little weaker and EXP higher compared to the Super Famicom version. If that's true, I'm very glad they did this because I didn't have to do as much leveling up as is common for a typical Dragon quest game (at least until the end).

CONS:
* Ability to make many monsters into teammates was eliminated.
* The additions of the slime game and dream exchange (yume kokuhaku) were pointless and no fun.

CONCLUSION:
As a remake, this game is better than the original. It hurts that many monsters can't be made into teammates anymore, but the most critical ones (Heal slime and metal slime) can join the team, so I think the tradeoff was worth it. However, I do wish they had changed some of the flaws of the original game in this remake.

--REVIEW OF THE GAME ITSELF--
STORY: 5 of 5
The story was the one of the best I've seen in an RPG. I loved the fact that there are 2 worlds to explore, and how changing something in 1 world affected the other. Also, the secret ending is hands down the best secret ending I have ever seen. Very imaginative and made the hours of grinding I had to do well worth it.

WORLD: 5 of 5
It was really nice to have 2 worlds to explore. I've played Dragonquest 1-6 and 9, and none of the other worlds had 2 worlds this big - at most, they had 1 big world and 1 small world for the boss.

CHARACTERS: 3 of 5
Compared to past Dragonquest games, the characters in this game are not as memorable. Although I liked Barbara (girl with orange hair) and Tanya (hero's sister), the other characters were not memorable. Here are some more details:

Hassan:
a very typical martial artist, fight first, talk later type. Nothing new. Alena from Dragonquest 4 was much more appealing because despite the fact that she was a princess, all she cared about was fighting tough monsters and entering martial arts tournaments. The contradiction made her very interesting; Hassan is too much of a prototypical fighter.

Mireyu:
A dim shadow of Minea from Dragonquest 4. Both are fortune tellers, but what made Minea interesting was the clashing with her sister, who was the complete opposite of her (she liked the city and gambling, while Minea preferred peace and quiet and is still mad that her sister gambled away all her money earned from fortune telling).

Amos:
He was okay. But I didn't like the fact that if you made the wrong decision, he would never join your team. If it wasn't for my guidebook, I probably wouldn't have gotten him to join my team.

Terry:
He was okay. Although he was powered up in the DS version, he joined the team too late, with his stats lagging behind all of my teammates. They should have copied Final Fantasy 7 and adjust his level according to what my teammates were at.

CLASS SYSTEM: 2 of 5
Although this system was an improvement over Dragonquest 3's class changing system, it still has some serious flaws. First I'll go over the improvements from DQ 3, or the pros:

PROS:
* class change is permitted at any time; don't have to wait till a certain level to change classes
* when a character changes back to a certain class, you don't have to start from the lowest level again
* The merchant finds extra money after every single battle, and the amount he finds goes up as his/her merchant level goes up
* lots of new, useful, and/or powerful skills

CONS:
And now for the bad points...

* it was very stupid that the characters Hassan, Mireyu, and Barbara were not automatically assigned a class when they became a teammate. It already takes long enough as it is to learn skills; this made it take even longer.

* Lots of useless skills.
Considering it takes so long to learn a skill, it's very discouraging when you finally learn a skill, it turns out to be useless. It seems that the programmers were obsessed with giving every class 8 levels, but by doing so, they came up with some pretty stupid skills. There's nothing wrong with all classes not having an exact number; Final Fantasy 5 did that and it was no problem at all. In fact, by not forcing themselves to give each class a set number of levels, the producers of FF 5 produced one of the best class systems I've ever seen. And since FF 5 was released prior to DQ 6, there is really no excuse that DQ 6 didn't follow in FF 5's footsteps.

* It takes too long to learn skills.
Considering that there are so many classes and so many skills, chances are the player is going to screw up by leveling up classes in ways they will regret later on. For example, since I like the Merchant, Thief, and Paladin, I had the Hero master those classes. Little did I know that by spending time on those classes, I would fall way behind on learning the hero's skills. In order to compensate for this mistake and others, I had to do hours of grinding to learn the Hero's skills and other skills and spells. Not fun at all.

* Some of the conditions for class change don't make any sense.
I wonder why a character needs to learn a Priest's skills to become a Paladin, and why I need to learn a fighter's skills to become Magic Fighter (Mahou Senshi)? By doing this, I'm making a strong character weak, and shrinking the MP of a character who originally had lots of MP. If I could change classes anywhere and anytime like it was possible in DQ 9 and Final Fantasy 5, this wouldn't be a problem, but this was not the case. I always had to change classes before heading into a dungeon or tower, which was a hassle.

* Battle count makes defeating Metal Slimes pointless.
One of the best features of the Draqonquest series is defeating Metal Slimes to get tons of EXP. However, by making a class system that only levels up based on battle count makes earning lots of EXP quickly pointless. Even if a character levels up, it's not that significant anyways (at least compared to DQ 3). This in turn makes some skills useless, like Metal Cut. They should have changed it so that defeating a Metal Slime results in more Battle count, similar to the ability system Final Fantasy 5 and 7 had.

* The Metal slime teammate and Metal Slime Scroll are received too late in the game.
It took hours to level up the Metal Slime so he could be effective against the hidden boss. At the very least, the Metal Slime teammate or the scroll should be attainable much earlier in the game.

* Finally, because there are no limitations on what a character can master, all the characters can become the same, losing nearly all of their uniqueness. Since this was a remake, some kind of limitation should have been created so all the characters can't end up learning every single skill and spell there is (with a few exceptions). In this respect, DQ 4 and 5 are much better because the characters remain unique - some can only fight, some can only heal, some can only use attack magic, etc. If every character can do all these things, there's no point in giving them names or faces because they're just clones. In order to keep my characters from becoming clones as they did with my SNES version, I had to force myself to keep characters from learning all the skills by giving them no class at all after they had learned a certain set of skills. A good template for limitations would have been FF 5 and 7 - considering that over 10 years have passed since those games were released, something similar could have been added to this game at the very least. Considering that even DQ 9 had a restriction, seeing no restrictions after all this time was very disappointing.

FINAL CONCLUSION:
Overall, this was a great game until I realized I leveled up the wrong classes and had to do an insane amount of grinding. In Final Fantasy 5 and 7, even if I screwed up leveling up spells and abilities, I could make it up in the end because there were certain monsters towards the end who gave a ton of ability points. DQ 6 does not have a way to make up for mistakes like that. In fact, Dragonquest 1-5 and 9 all have ways to learn spells and skills easier towards the end. DQ 6 has nothing. Very bad move on the part of the programmers that should have been changed.

I tried replaying the game so I could get it right this time, but since it takes so long (10 hours or more) to even begin leveling up a class, I decided not to. At least when it comes to replay value, DQ 3 and Final Fantasy 5 are heads and shoulders above this game because you can choose a class within an hour. Since making up for level up mistakes is nonexistent in this game, anyone playing this for the first time should have the leveling up process perfectly planned or you will end up wasting hours, if not more than 10 hours grinding like me because you can't make up for mistake(s) and replaying the game will be a huge chore. As long as you're careful about that, this game can be one of the best Japanese RPGs you've ever played; if not, expect many torturous hours of grinding from hell.

Indiana Jones and the Dragon of Vengeance (Find Your Fate)
Indiana Jones and the Dragon of Vengeance (Find Your Fate)
by R.L. Stine
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
2 used & new from $2.25

2.0 out of 5 stars A typical low quality gamebook for this series, July 20, 2011
CHARACTERS:
Indy was portrayed well, but I don't understand why he was called "Mr. Jones" when he was usually called "Dr. Jones" in the movies.

The other characters were acceptable.

ARTWORK:
As usual for this series - above average quality.

PLOT:
It's okay. But I was annoyed by the subplot of Indy constantly trying to get rid of the reader.

WRITING STYLE:
The intro was well done, unlike other books by R.L. Stine. Good thing he co-authored this book. Almost none of Stine's crappy writing style was existent in this book.

GAMEBOOK QUALITY:
Had none of Stine's stupid choices. However, some of the choices were too passive, like do I want to go on this adventure, or go home? That's pretty much giving away that one of the choices will lead to a boring ending.

CONCLUSION:
Although this book was of higher quality than usual for this series, it is still not up to "Choose your own adventure" quality. For a Stine book, it's excellent, but that doesn't say much. Except for "Eye of the Fates", none of the books in this series are near the quality of "Choose your own adventure." I'm guessing that Stine's horrible writing style is what caused this series to end so quickly while Choose your own adventure continued past 100 books. Stine is a blemish on the genre of gamebooks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5