Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for squirrel > Reviews

Browse

squirrel's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

squirrel RSS Feed

Price: $26.99
158 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Dragonquest game, August 1, 2011
STORY:
A very good story. The part where the hero and Bianca go to the haunted castle is my favorite scene of all the Dragonquest games. Getting married was also interesting - I don't know of any other game where you get married (not that I've played that many games).

CHARACTERS:
Bianca is one of my most favorite characters of all the DQ series. The other human characters were okay. One thing I didn't like about some of the human characters was that their stats weren't that great or well-defined, such as Pippin.

Concerning the wives, Flora and Deborah's characters weren't developed enough to the point that I would want to marry either of them - the game is clearly biased toward Bianca. If the choices were developed as well as the FF 7 characters Aeris and Tifa, I think everyone would have a hard time choosing between them because both were equally well developed. I really wish DQ 5 had a wife choice that rivaled Bianca, such as the DQ 4 characters Alena, Minea, or Manya. If those were the choices, I'd have to play the game 4 times so I can choose them all.

Spell-wise, Flora is the best because she has a heal spell and the best attack spells. Deborah doesn't learn the top damage spells, so she's not the best choice vs the last boss. But unlike Bianca and Flora, she can equip that axe that gives a critical hit or miss, which makes her very useful for metal slime hunting :)

If you want to try all of the wives, I recommend keeping a separate save file before you choose your wife. I have a save state for right when the childhood era ends so I can enjoy picking up monster teammates from the beginning :)

WORLD:
A typical DQ world with no flaws except that it's not as big as the DQ 6 world.

BATTLE SYSTEM:
Despite its simplicity, the battle system for DQ 5 is one of the best I've ever seen. What really makes the battle system fun is being able to make monsters into teammates - not knowing who will become your next teammate and trying to decide who to keep when you reach the maximum number made this game more fun than all of the DQ games I've played. And add to that, since no class change is permitted in this game, all the characters stay unique and don't become overpowered.

I also loved the fact that unlike humans, monsters have resistance versus certain attacks. Although the humans typically had more spells, the resistance the monsters had made them equally as valuable, such as complete resistance to fire breath :D Very helpful to have a Caesar dragon vs a boss :) I also loved how some monsters had spells no human had, such as full heal for all characters (Heal Slime, etc.) :D

FLAWS:
One gripe I have is that the probability to get certain monsters to join your team is very low :( It literally took me many hours to get Cyclops, Caesar Dragon, and Killer Machine to join me :(

Also, the weapons and armor are very expensive relative to the amount of money that can be earned through regular play :( I always have to do quite a bit of grinding to raise enough money for the best weapons and armor in the game :(

And finally, I don't like how some rare items can only be obtained through that monopoly type game :( I wish I could just get those items by defeating a powerful bonus boss or something, not spending hours rolling a dice :(

CONCLUSION:
Despite some of the flaws of this game, I still like DQ 5 the best of all the DQ games I've played (DQ 1-6 & 9). From a scale 0 to 100, I wouldn't give it a 100 because I think it could be improved upon, but if I had to choose between a 4 or 5, I choose a 5.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 9:23 PM PST

Sabotage # 38
Sabotage # 38
by Jay Leibold
34 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An above average gamebook, March 13, 2011
--Characters--
Characters are well established except for Raul - he should have been portrayed like how Haven was in "Escape." Haven was a very interesting character because he was nervous all the time; there seemed to something suspicious about him. Raul is pretty much non-existent compared to Haven.

Decent.

--Story--
Although the main plot didn't interest me, I gave this book a try because it was a "Choose your own adventure," and I was pleasantly surprised.

PROS:
* The choices were interesting
* there was a good number of paths
* the paths tended to be long
* there were a good number of bad endings
* the good endings weren't that easy to get to

CONS:
My only complaint is that the title "Sabotage" doesn't seem to fit because there are only a few paths that actually deal with sabotage. A title like "Rescue" would have been more appropriate.

--Conclusion--
Even for people who are not interested in history, this book is definitely worth a read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2011 1:53 PM PDT

Statue of Liberty Adventure (Choose Your Own Adventure #58)
Statue of Liberty Adventure (Choose Your Own Adventure #58)
by Ellen Kushner
38 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars One path is not so good, the other is interesting, March 13, 2011
--Characters--
Characters are well established.

Decent.

ENDINGS:
The time travel path is crummy! There is only one interesting ending for that path (albeit a very good one), and the rest are depressing. I tend to like bad endings, but these bad endings were arbitrary and not due to some foolish action on your part. Yes, there is one way you can make it back to your own time, but none of the choices logically lead to that ending, which makes this storyline consist mainly of random wandering.

The storyline involving the puzzle is decently entertaining. The puzzle is not as good as the puzzles in Carol Gaskin's "Master of Mazes," but nonetheless still worth a read.

This book is very similar to "Spy for George Washington" in the respect that:
* one main path is interesting and the other is dull
* it is easy to get a good ending (for the interesting path)

Both books are entertaining as long as you choose the interesting path.

Choose Your Own Adventure: Supercomputer
Choose Your Own Adventure: Supercomputer
33 used & new from $2.07

3.0 out of 5 stars A so-so gamebook..., March 10, 2011
--Characters--
Conrad is a well established character. Although I didn't like Hopstern that much, he was also well established. The rest of the characters are decently established.

--Artwork--
Could have used a little more artwork here and there, but this is common for "Choose your own adventure" books.

--Story--
As a gamebook, this was not very well written. For example, one of the 3 major choices the reader has to make involves discovering the secret of the universe. However, this choice leads to something completely unrelated. And yet, when you make a particular choice unrelated to the universe, you start a path that deals with space travel. The respective choice and path should have been put together.

Furthermore, of the 3 main choices, two of the choices are uninteresting. I had a difficult time finishing this book because I lost interest.

Aside from those problems, there is a good variety of paths that provides for okay entertainment. But the only reason I give this book 3 stars instead of 2 is because it has an ending that is so memorable that I still remembered it after 20 years. The book was worth reading for that memorable path. The rest of the paths are unremarkable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 9:21 PM PDT

The Master of Mazes (Forgotten Forest)
The Master of Mazes (Forgotten Forest)
by Carol Gaskin
30 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Above average gamebook, March 10, 2011
--Characters--
Interesting. I really liked the Minotaur and the version of the Master of Mazes who gives Lin all the puzzles/riddles. I could also understand why the reader liked Redfern, which is a sign of excellent character development.

--Artwork--
Very high quality, similar to "Magician's Ring." I especially like the minotaur's picture.

Very good timing - whenever a new character appeared, there was a picture for the character (for the most part).

ENDINGS:
Although some of the good endings were similar, there are a number of excellent bad endings.

CHOICES/PATHS:
Of all the gamebooks I have ever read, this book has the best choices I have ever seen. It was very difficult to predict which were the good choices and which were the bad choices. All of the choices were interesting as well, and I really liked the puzzles. The paths also tended to be long, similar to "Magician's Ring."

One con of this book is the path involving the minotaur and the puzzles in the manor was clearly better than the other path.

INTRO:
Similar to "Magician's Ring," the introduction felt too long to me. I don't think it was necessary to go into so much detail about Redfern - I think the intro could have been easily made shorter while still delivering the same message effectively. When I read a gamebook, I'm looking forward to making choices, not reading 8 pages of text before a choice.

--Conclusion--
This book is definitely worth a read for the interesting choices and puzzles - it is easily one of my most favorite gamebooks of all time :D

Ghost Hunter (Choose Your Own Adventure #52)
Ghost Hunter (Choose Your Own Adventure #52)
35 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining gamebook, March 5, 2011
--Characters--
Well established. Each character's distinctness was portrayed well.

--Artwork--
Very good. There was a picture for almost every major character except Kenny. It's nice to be able to put a picture with name.

--Story--
Very good. I like how refusing to do something didn't automatically lead to an ending; it allows you to go back to a previous choice or choose a similar path.

The paths tended to be nice and long, and the endings were decent. The choices you are given make you think.

My one complaint is that even though the title is "Ghost Hunter," it actually takes a lot of digging to actually encounter a ghost. In fact, some of the paths have no ghosts in it all. I would preferred that a ghost appeared at least once in all of the paths. Also, the path with Jenny's gray mansion is rather dull compared to the other paths. It does have a very good bad ending though.

--Conclusion--
Very entertaining. Worth a read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2012 7:13 PM PST

BT-DECEPTICON POISON#6 (Transformers, No 6)
BT-DECEPTICON POISON#6 (Transformers, No 6)
by JUDITH BAUER STAMPER
23 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A so-so gamebook..., March 5, 2011
--Characters---
I liked how 2 of the paths involve a smaller group instead of all of the autobots.

--Artwork---
Okay.

--Story--
One of the endings is very creative. However, the rest of the endings are okay or not very satisfying.

--Conclusion--
This gamebook is okay - not horrible, but not great. Nothing much is missed by skipping over this book.

The Transformers: Earthquake (Find Your Fate Junior #4)
The Transformers: Earthquake (Find Your Fate Junior #4)
by Ann Matthews
28 used & new from $1.67

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Transformers gamebook, March 5, 2011
--Characters--
For this series, this book has more emphasis on individual characters than usual. I especially love when a select few of the Autobots go on a small mission to investigate the Decepticon base.

Okay.

--Story--
Very good. I especially loved the bad endings. The good endings are decent. But what surprised me was a middle-of-the-road ending - something bad happened, but something good happened at the same time, kind of like a trade-off. Clever.

The only fault with this book is the wording of some of the choices. Instead of coin flips and choosing an even or odd number, regular choices would have sufficed because the outcomes could have been foreshadowed through the wording of the choices. It almost makes me want to write in the book how I think the choices should have been worded. But despite this flaw, this book is well worth reading.

Underground Kingdom (Choose Your Own Adventure 18)
Underground Kingdom (Choose Your Own Adventure 18)
31 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite "Choose your own adventure" books!, March 5, 2011
Well developed.

--Artwork--
Good. Showing a picture of a new species just as it is explained in the text is perfect timing. Also does a good job of showing a picture of significant characters as soon as they appear for the first time, something I wish all gamebooks did.

Excellent.

-Intro:
Jumps into the action right away.

-Main plot:
Captures the reader's attention immediately and holds it. A very fascinating idea to explore an undiscovered world.

-Endings:
Excellent. A good sense of finality to the endings, and lot of interesting bad endings.

Indiana Jones and the Eye of the Fates ( Find Your Fate Adventure # 4 )
Indiana Jones and the Eye of the Fates ( Find Your Fate Adventure # 4 )
by Richard Wenk
37 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Above average gamebook, March 5, 2011
--Characters--
I like how Indy's and the villians' lines are what you would expect from an Indiana Jones movie. Ironically, the character that isn't developed well into this book is the reader. The author puts stupid lines into the mouth of the reader and makes you do things you probably wouldn't have done. For example, on two occasions, the reader talks in such a loud voice that it catches the attention of the enemy. It's one thing when someone else does something stupid, but it's another when the author makes you do stupid things that you wouldn't have done without even giving you a choice.

Good.

--Story--
There are a lot of interesting paths in the book, which provides for above average entertainment. However, I didn't like how one of the pages has 2 choices that are both bad. If you're going to meet a bad ending anyway, what difference does it make to have 2 choices? A waste of space. Also, some of the paths felt a little abrupt and not well developed - I think this book could have been a little better.

--Conclusion--
Overall, an above average gamebook that is worth a read, especially if you like the Indiana Jones movies.

Page: 1 | 2