Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2039

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "hotdog" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac  500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120 volt
Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120 volt
Price: $59.99
111 used & new from $50.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatta blast! A couple of drawbacks . . ., May 23, 2015
The Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac is awesome! It is smaller and lighter than I expected--just a little larger than a can of compressed air. I use it to blast my computer, keyboard, monitor vents, and Roomba, but I actually get terrific use dusting--FINALLY--my CD/DVD collections, books, behind and under furniture and bookshelves, light fixtures and refrigerator coils.

I use it like an indoor leaf blower, herding all the dust bunnies into a handy corner, then dust mopping. Although I seriously suggest putting on a dust mask first! (O.K., so sue me; I'm not the best housekeeper.) But have you examined the area around your computer cables lately, hmm?

They placed the on/off thumb switch conveniently right by the handle. The powerful DataVac airstream produces a definite "kick" when you turn it on. The blowing power matches or exceeds compressed canned air, but without the danger of running out or spitting propellent onto delicate parts. For storage, I loop the generous 11-foot (not 12-foot as stated in the literature) cord and tuck it into the grip.

Cons:

The one serious design flaw is that the air intake filter on the bottom is a sponge-like material that looks like it will get damaged pretty easily, and there is no easy way to replace or even clean this critter. And the DataVac is pretty loud; although in all honesty my vacuum cleaner is noisier. Finally, only one of the attachments "click" properly onto the nozzle's raised safety button--I had to drill holes in a couple of the other attachments to use this button.

But I still call this a solid 4-1/2 star product.

Self Defense Tactical Pen Glass Breaker Tool Multifuction Anti-skid
Self Defense Tactical Pen Glass Breaker Tool Multifuction Anti-skid
Offered by ZeroshopUS
Price: $12.35
3 used & new from $8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid tactical pen., May 19, 2015
This is my first self defense tactical pen and overall I'm pretty pleased. The dimensions are about the same as a standard pen but just a bit wider with a diamond crosshatch grip. The pen itself writes smoothly with black ink and opens (a little stiffly) by twisting the front. I was a bit disappointed to find that it does NOT write upside down.

It isn't as heavy as I expected, but the tough aircraft aluminum still has a nice heft and terrific grip. I haven't broken any glass with the end or stabbed anyone, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this thing! The tight clip and rough barrel might shred a dress shirt over time unless you use care. But this is a really good deal at the price.

Lithium Li-Ion 4400mAh Replacement Battery for iRobot Roomba 500, 600, 700, 800 Series and Scooba 450, High Capacity 4.4Ah, SUPER LONG-LIFE (800 CYCLE TIMES) by CyberTech, With Free Bonus Side Brush, 880 510 530 532 535 540 545 550 552 560 562 570 580 581 582 585 595 600 620 630 650 660 700 760 770 780 790 800 870 R3 80501 4419696
Offered by CyberTech
Price: $64.99
2 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, worthwhile upgrade!, May 12, 2015
I just received the CyberTech 4400mAh Lithium battery replacement for my Roomba 770, so I can't address its longevity. Instead I'll just say that it takes about 60 seconds to swap out the original Roomba battery with this terrific upgrade. All you do is:

1. turn off your Roomba (big button on top) and flip it over
2. remove two little Phillips screws and open door
3. pull out the old battery with the plastic side tabs
4. drop in the new lithium battery
5. close it up, power it up
6. re-enter the day/time information. All the programming data disappears when you pull the battery--no biggie.

I've used my Roomba 770 almost daily for a year and the original battery was getting a bit anemic, though still useable. But this lithium replacement is far better than Roomba's original Ni-Cd battery. Not a design flaw--it's just that the pricey lithium batteries are inherently superior to Ni-Cd batteries. And the build quality of the new lithium battery is, if anything, even better than the original.

I like the extra little side brush CyberTech threw in, so I swapped it out at the same time. If your Roomba is getting a bit feeble and you have a few extra bucks, this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Newest version Panasonic Eneloop 4rd generation 16 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries -FREE BATTERY HOLDER- Rechargeable 2100 times
Offered by MYBATTERYSUPPLIER
Price: $43.45
8 used & new from $41.45

5.0 out of 5 stars I HATE alkaline batteries!, May 7, 2015
Eneloops are simply the best. This is my second order for 16 AA Eneloop batteries. Why so many? First, AA batteries power just about every mouse, remote control, flashlight, toy or doodad in the universe. Second, I found no-name D-cell adapters that take three AA batteries in parallel:

After Hurricane Ike, I stockpiled several dozen D cells to power lanterns and fans. After a year, easily 25% of my expensive alkaline D cells leaked corrosive crud all over the place! During the second year, another 25% failed. It got so bad that I individually wrap each D cell in a baggie before storing.

So! I bought a bunch of AA Eneloops and a couple of dozen D cell adapters and couldn't be happier! As my old alkaline AA and D cells fail or run out of juice, I toss them and replace them with Eneloops. A permanent solution since Eneloops hold a charge for years, don't leak, and I can recharge them when they get low. Five stars!

Tamrac MX5341 M.A.S. Pro 50 Lens Case, fits up to 5.5" lenses (Black)
Tamrac MX5341 M.A.S. Pro 50 Lens Case, fits up to 5.5" lenses (Black)
Offered by TheImagingWorld
Price: $23.95
14 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Canon 11-24 f/4 lens., May 2, 2015
I recently bought Canon's fantastic 11-24 f/4L lens. Canon only supplies a ridiculous leather pouch with this $3000 lens, so the first thing I did was go shopping for a practical way to carry this bad boy when working in the field.

Acting upon a recommendation from another photographer, I bought the Tamrac MX5341. The Canon 11-24 f/4L lens fits like a glove! The padded rip-stop nylon pouch has a zipper top and the snap+Velcro-style belt loop works perfectly.

It might be nice if there was another little pocket for memory cards or a loop for a pen, but I'm not complaining. This pouch is exactly what I was looking for. A solid five stars.

College Arcane: A Novel from the Demon Accords
College Arcane: A Novel from the Demon Accords
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Declan is back; time to hunt Barbies!, April 18, 2015
I'm an unabashed fanboy of John Conroe's Demon Accords, but they've gotten a bit dark and disjointed recently. This latest book is a breath of fresh air--mixed with a hint of napalm. All the unusual kids who appear in the earlier books, including "Black Frost," are thrown into a university environment that makes Hogwarts seem like a school for wussy underachievers. You think you had problems with beer-guzzling frat boys? Try an aggressive werewolf or pushy witches circle!

Lots of fun and action with more character development. Just about everyone from previous books makes a camio. And just when we figured we'd whipped the demons and elves and black op agencies, a whole new threat appears on the horizon. One that isn't a bit mystical and may be all too real.

And the Barbie hunt? You'll see. Enough spoilers--buy this book. Buy it now!

Big Trouble [HD]
Big Trouble [HD]
DVD
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love + nuke + enemy toad = "Florida Man." What could possibly go wrong?, April 8, 2015
This fun move varies a bit from the book, but the changes help smooth the story flow and makes the kidnapping less grim. A whimsical story that combines true love with a loose nuke and an enemy toad. And, of course, the penultimate "Florida Man."

Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Offered by 17th Street Photo
Price: $2,999.00
11 used & new from $2,100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best! But not for everybody., March 28, 2015
I'm an editorial photographer and recently bought Canon's 11-24 f/4L lens. First, let me state that this unique ultra wide angle lens is not for everybody. It is expensive, but a bargain considering the nature of the lens. It is heavy, but relatively compact. This is NOT a lens that amateurs or even non-specialists should seriously consider. Instead, let me recommend Canon's marvelous 16-35 f/4L IS for general architectural, landscape and environmental portraits.

But if you want the finest rectilinear ultra wide angle lens in the world, the Canon 11-24 f/4L is hands-down your best bet. Even wide open it displays virtually no distortion or vignetting and is blazing sharp right to the edges. So far my biggest surprises are just how easily it handles and how "normal" everything looks. Unless something is near the edge of the frame there is no way to tell that you aren't using a standard wide angle.

This precision 2.6 pound/1180 gram lens is built like a tank. It makes your camera front-heavy (I'm using 5D IIIs with grips), even when hanging from the strap. Not as bad as a 70-200 f/2.8, but you notice the weight. The built-in lens hood appears made from heavy, high impact polycarbonate. The unusual lens cap wraps around the whole front of the lens hood to protect that massive bulbous front element.

Since this lens cannot take a normal filter, Canon placed a small 3 cm X 3 cm gel filter slot on the rear. While I dislike fragile gel filters, this appears our only ND filter option. The rear of the lens also sports a rubber weather sealing ring as seen on other high-end Canon "L" lenses. But the huge front element moves freely inside the front of the lens barrel when zooming, so I'd avoid situations where water or sand can impact the front.

I just received this lens, but I've covered a few editorial assignments working behind the scenes in a television studio, low light "Good Friday" church stuff and rail car welding. The Canon 11-24 f/4 handled surprisingly well; I genuinely felt no difficulties working fast, handheld, in tight conditions. Images were blazing sharp right to the edges with little or no flare even when shooting wide open against studio spotlights or daylight blazing though windows or arc welders. This groundbreaking lens earns a solid five stars.

NOTE: Canon only supplies a ridiculous leather carry pouch with this lens. I bought the Tamrac MX5341 M.A.S. Pro 50 Lens Case to carry and store this lens.

Unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRC0op9b5VA&feature=youtu.be
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 9:57 AM PDT

Joby GripTight Mount XL for Smartphones
Joby GripTight Mount XL for Smartphones
Offered by Think Fast
Price: $20.75
12 used & new from $17.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Photojournalist looking for a tripod mount., March 27, 2015
I'm a photojournalist and own all kinds of fancy video gear, but sometimes ya just want to shoot a quick video with your smartphone. I went to my local Fry's and tried out a variety of phone mounts, but only the XL Joby GripTight Smartphone Tripod Mount securely supported my Galaxy S5 without forcing me to remove the protective case. The compact folding design is a nice perk. It folds flat to slip comfortably in your pocket, but flipping the Joby GripTight open and attaching it to a tripod produces rock-solid support for professional-looking videos.

It's a bit pricey for a phone mount, but the unique design makes this a winner.

Cherlene (Songs from the Series Archer)
Cherlene (Songs from the Series Archer)
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Outlaw Country"--just like the old gypsy woman said., March 17, 2015
Twangy country western music makes me want to hurl, but I'm a huge Archer fan. I bought "Cherlene" just for fun and am surprised how much I enjoy the music. Extremely well produced with excellent vocals and instrumentals with sly, almost subliminal, references to Archer episodes. Just a heck of good album; I found my foot tapping to the music as I wrote this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20