Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2021

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "hotdog" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tamrac MX5341 M.A.S. Pro 50 Lens Case, fits up to 5.5" lenses (Black)
Tamrac MX5341 M.A.S. Pro 50 Lens Case, fits up to 5.5" lenses (Black)
Offered by TheImagingWorld
Price: Click here to see our price
13 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Canon 11-24 f/4 lens., May 2, 2015
I recently bought Canon's fantastic 11-24 f/4L lens. Canon only supplies a ridiculous leather pouch with this lens, so the first thing I did was go shopping for a practical way to carry this bad boy when working in the field.

Acting upon a recommendation from another photographer, I bought the Tamrac MX5341. The Canon 11-24 f/4L lens fits like a glove! The padded rip-stop nylon pouch has a zipper top and snap+Velcro-style belt loop. It is a perfect container for this pricey $3000 lens.

It might be nice if there was another little pocket or two for memory cards or whatnot, but I'm not complaining. This pouch is exactly what I was looking for. A solid five stars.

College Arcane: A Novel from the Demon Accords
College Arcane: A Novel from the Demon Accords
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Declan is back; time to hunt Barbies!, April 18, 2015
I'm an unabashed fanboy of John Conroe's Demon Accords, but they've gotten a bit dark and disjointed recently. This latest book is a breath of fresh air--mixed with a hint of napalm. All the unusual kids who appear in the earlier books, including "Black Frost," are thrown into a university environment that makes Hogwarts seem like a school for wussy underachievers. You think you had problems with beer-guzzling frat boys? Try an aggressive werewolf or pushy witches circle!

Lots of fun and action with more character development. Just about everyone from previous books makes a camio. And just when we figured we'd whipped the demons and elves and black op agencies, a whole new threat appears on the horizon. One that isn't a bit mystical and may be all too real.

And the Barbie hunt? You'll see. Enough spoilers--buy this book. Buy it now!

Big Trouble [HD]
Big Trouble [HD]
DVD
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love + nuke + enemy toad = "Florida Man." What could possibly go wrong?, April 8, 2015
This fun move varies a bit from the book, but the changes help smooth the story flow and makes the kidnapping less grim. A whimsical story that combines true love with a loose nuke and an enemy toad. And, of course, the penultimate "Florida Man."

Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $2,999.00
10 used & new from $2,999.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best! But not for everybody., March 28, 2015
I'm an editorial photographer and recently bought Canon's 11-24 f/4L lens. First, let me state that this unique ultra wide angle lens is not for everybody. It is expensive, but a bargain considering the unique nature of the lens. It is heavy, but relatively compact. This is NOT a lens that amateurs or even non-specialists should seriously consider. Instead, let me recommend Canon's marvelous 16-35 f/4L IS for general architectural, landscape and environmental portraits.

But if you want the finest rectilinear ultra wide angle lens in the world, the Canon 11-24 f/4L is hands-down your best bet. Even wide open it displays virtually no distortion or vignetting and is blazing sharp right to the edges. So far my biggest surprises are just how easily it handles and how "normal" everything looks. Unless something is near the edge of the frame there is no way to tell that you aren't using a standard wide angle.

This precision 2.6 pound/1180 gram lens is built like a tank. It makes your camera front-heavy (I'm using 5D IIIs with grips), even when hanging from the strap. Not as bad as a 70-200 f/2.8, but you notice the weight. The built-in lens hood appears made from heavy, high impact polycarbonate. The unusual lens cap wraps around the whole front of the lens hood to protect that massive bulbous front element.

Since this lens cannot take a normal filter, Canon placed a small 3 cm X 3 cm gel filter slot on the rear. While I dislike fragile gel filters, this appears our only ND filter option. The rear of the lens also sports a rubber weather sealing ring as seen on other high-end Canon "L" lenses. But the huge front element moves freely inside the front of the lens barrel when zooming, so I'd avoid situations where water or sand can impact the front.

I just received this lens, but I've covered a few editorial assignments working behind the scenes in a television studio, low light "Good Friday" church stuff and rail car welding. The Canon 11-24 f/4 handled surprisingly well; I genuinely felt no difficulties working fast, handheld, in tight conditions. Images were blazing sharp right to the edges with little or no flare even when shooting wide open against studio spotlights or daylight blazing though windows or arc welders. This groundbreaking lens earns a solid five stars.

NOTE: Canon only supplies a ridiculous leather carry pouch with this lens. I highly recommend buying the Tamrac MX5341 M.A.S. Pro 50 Lens Case when you get this lens.

Unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRC0op9b5VA&feature=youtu.be

Joby GripTight Mount XL for Smartphones
Joby GripTight Mount XL for Smartphones
Offered by Think Fast
Price: $20.70
11 used & new from $17.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Photojournalist looking for a tripod mount., March 27, 2015
I'm a photojournalist and own all kinds of fancy video gear, but sometimes ya just want to shoot a quick video with your smartphone. I went to my local Fry's and tried out a variety of phone mounts, but only the XL Joby GripTight Smartphone Tripod Mount securely supported my Galaxy S5 without forcing me to remove the protective case. The compact folding design is a nice perk. It folds flat to slip comfortably in your pocket, but flipping the Joby GripTight open and attaching it to a tripod produces rock-solid support for professional-looking videos.

It's a bit pricey for a phone mount, but the unique design makes this a winner.

Cherlene (Songs from the Series Archer)
Cherlene (Songs from the Series Archer)
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "Outlaw Country"--just like the old gypsy woman said., March 17, 2015
Twangy country western music makes me want to hurl, but I'm a huge Archer fan. I bought "Cherlene" just for fun and am surprised how much I enjoy the music. Extremely well produced with excellent vocals and instrumentals with sly, almost subliminal, references to Archer episodes. Just a heck of good album; I found my foot tapping to the music as I wrote this.

The Engineer Wizard (The Genie and the Wizard Series Book 1)
The Engineer Wizard (The Genie and the Wizard Series Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, different and looking for more!, March 15, 2015
Any writer who can call forth the avatars of Albert Einstein, Zathras, Sun Tzu and Al Bundy is a guy worth reading! A well-written book and I'm looking forward to more from this author. I am, however, deeply disturbed that I recognize almost every Sci-Fi nerd quote. Man, I gotta get a life!

"Can not run out of time, there is infinite time. You are finite, Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool."

YOPO® 180° Universal 3 in 1 Clip on Fish Eye Lens + 2 in 1 Macro Lens + Super Wide Angle 0.4X Lens Camera Lens Kit For Iphone 6, Iphone 6 plus, Iphone 5, Iphone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Note 4,3,2, iPad 2, 3, 4, Air and other Smartphones Mobile Phone Notebook Pc/IPad (Black)
Offered by YouthPower
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargain!, March 13, 2015
I'm a photojournalist and I bought the YOPO 180 Universal 3 in 1 just for fun. First, don't freak out when you get the package and find only two lenses and one clip. The macro and fisheye lenses attach to one another.

These lenses should work on just about any device. I use mine on a Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy Tab 3 8 tablet. The lenses themselves are surprisingly well-machined and the glass appears coated, though ghost reflections appear if you are shooting a high-contrast scene.

All three lenses are satisfactory for the price. The 180 degree fisheye is a fun lens, though fisheye effects can get real old, real fast. The "Super Wide 0.4X" should be the most useful lens, but disappoints since it displays severe barrel distortion. The real jewel in this kit is the macro lens. You can just about fill the frame with the tip of a pencil and the optics are good enough that I would be fine using it for my editorial work.

This is a bargain and a lot of fun!

SentrySafe H4100CG Fire-Safe Waterproof Security File
SentrySafe H4100CG Fire-Safe Waterproof Security File
Price: $85.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, March 12, 2015
I bought the SentrySafe H4100CG at a local brick and mortar store. Note that this isn't much of a "safe" per se. I suspect that anyone with a hammer could easily break the lock or simply carry it away; I just leave the key in the lock. I bought it to store personal and financial documents and a backup hard drive of zero value to burglars. I want to be able to freely access the material yet provide some protection from fire and flood.

I'm even considering spray painting the SentrySafe fluorescent orange and stenciling "Personal Documents" for ease in location by myself or relatives after a hypothetical disaster. But that's a project for another time and I'm not sure I could tolerate a bright orange box!

I particularly appreciate that this safe stores full-sized 8-1/2 x 11" documents and supports hanging file folders. Very practical and organized. Note that it is pretty hefty (duh!), though any healthy person can carry it. At the price, this is a solid five star product.

Pebble Smart Watch for iPhone and Android Devices (Red)
Pebble Smart Watch for iPhone and Android Devices (Red)
Price: $89.88
26 used & new from $65.37

4.0 out of 5 stars I love my nerd watch!, February 18, 2015
I use this with my Galaxy S5 and find it a terrific value for the money. Here are my impressions after two months:

Pros:

1. The Pebble has a solid vibration function that alerts you to incoming email, SMS and phone calls. I've found this quite useful in noisy or hectic environments. You can also set it to stop vibrating at night so it doesn't scare the bejabbers out of you.
2. It's seriously waterproof!!! I had no idea. I bought it just for fun, but this thing can double as a dive watch.
3. It quickly charges though any USB port and lasts almost a week! HUGE drawback for other smart watches. It also charges in minutes, not hours.
4. Screen lights up for 1.5-2 seconds by pressing a button or shaking your wrist. It is quite legible in direct sunlight or night.
5. I can control my phone's MP3 player right though the watch. I leave the phone in my pocket and control volume, skip or repeat songs, etc.
6. It doesn't interfere with my car's Bluetooth phone setup.
7. Lots of health tracking apps available. Not my cup of tea, but a big plus for health conscious folks.

Cons:

1. It's a bit awkward to navigate many of the apps with the stiff buttons.
2. Minimal instructions make it difficult to tell what apps are worth loading. Many (most?) of the apps are pretty marginal or difficult to read on the low-rez gray and black screen.
3. Plastic appearance. Personally, I like my nerd watch to look nerdy, but some folks object. Option: the Pebble Steel or a fancy metal watchband.
4. I wish the burnt orange watch was one of the standard colors!
5. Oddball magnetic/USB charger connector falls off easily. Needs careful placement and no jostling.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with my new toy and wear it constantly. At the price, this watch is a winner!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20