Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 232

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "hotdog" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Whitmor 6026-2516 Stackable Expandable Shoe Rack
Whitmor 6026-2516 Stackable Expandable Shoe Rack
Price: $19.97
6 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for . . ., September 5, 2014
After a bad experience with a poorly-made bamboo shoe rack that ended up in the dumpster, I was pleased that the Whitmor Expandable Shoe Rack fits an odd space in my closet perfectly. No tools necessary. I assembled the smooth sliding bars and wood frame in less than five minutes without even looking at the instructions. If you have serious shoe needs, you can stack multiple units with a simple peg-in-hole system.

The metal bars are slick, however. If you find that your shoes tend to slide, consider getting some anti-skid tape from a hardware store. Also, I'm a big guy and my hiking boots don't fit very well, but normal shoes and sneakers fit fine. At the price, this is a five star product.

Panasonic BQ-BS2E4SA Eneloop C Size Spacers for Use with Eneloop Ni-MH Rechargeable AA Battery Cells, 4 Pack
Price: $9.99
8 used & new from $8.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality., September 4, 2014
Perfect, delivered right on time. Eneloop AA batteries slide in and are snugly gripped by little arms inside the battery so they don't fall out. Extremely well-made and fitting. The downside, of course, is that adapter batteries only last about 25-35% as long as a true "C" cell. Good mainly for emergency or light use.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 9:30 AM PDT

MoKo Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Keyboard Case - Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Inch Android Tablet, BLACK (WILL NOT Fit Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0)
Offered by BSCstore
Price: $24.99
8 used & new from $17.87

5.0 out of 5 stars "Keys are nice and clicky" / Works on Galaxy S5!, August 29, 2014
. . . despite the suspicious number of one or two word five star reviews (suspect these are 'bots or slave labor generating junk reviews), I quite like this MoKo keyboard case.

I'm writing this on my newly-attached MoKo Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Keyboard case. Sure, it takes a little getting used to, but I'm typing pretty fast and the keyboard keeps up. Keys are nice and "clicky," not one of those horrible mushy keyboards. Some of the characters like: " ' and ` require a function key instead of a shift key entry, but you get used to it. You need to explore the function key abilities on your own; the only instructions are a single tiny page for linking the Bluetooth. Often it is faster using that swell Galaxy Tab touch screen.

Linking the Bluetooth tablet to the keyboard was a no-brainer. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out the first time. Keyboard has a fantastic one month charge life with internal USB-charged batteries.

The keyboard attaches securely to the case with hidden magnets. The incredibly light and thin keyboard will not fall off even if you turn the case upside down and shake. If you have some working space, you can completely separate the keyboard from the MoKo case and still use the tablet. I'm a big guy with big hands and can type on this little keyboard, but don't buy it and expect to pound away like it is a full-sized keyboard.

Unfortunately, the padded case design adds quite a bit of physical bulk to the tablet, making it over 1" thick. The closing flaps for the case and tablet are a bit awkward, but they work well. It does have a nice built-in kickstand to support the tablet/screen, though. And the MoKo case provides serious protection for the keyboard and tablet.

For a lousy 25 bucks, this is an amazing tablet upgrade for students, road warriors and anyone needing to do a bit of serious writing on the go without resorting to a full-fledged laptop. I wouldn't want to write "War and Peace" on the thing, but it earns a solid five stars!

UPDATE: Just for fun, I linked the keyboard with my new Galaxy S5 smartphone. It worked perfectly--now THAT'S a mini-laptop!

Sanyo Eneloop Spacer Pack: 8 Pack of D-size Adapters [Hassle Free Packaging]
Sanyo Eneloop Spacer Pack: 8 Pack of D-size Adapters [Hassle Free Packaging]
Offered by MYBATTERYSUPPLIER
Price: $18.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, delivered right on time, August 28, 2014
Perfect, delivered right on time. Eneloop AA batteries slide in and are snugly gripped by little arms inside the battery so they don't fall out. The downside, of course, is that adapter batteries only last about 20-25% as long as a true "D" cell. Good mainly for emergencies or light use.

One minor downside. Another supplier (NOT Mybatterysupplier) uses a sticky glue "snot" on the sides of the batteries to hold them in the package. This goo is a real pain to remove, though WD-40 on a rag does the trick.

Samsung Galaxy S5, Black 16GB (Verizon Wireless)
Samsung Galaxy S5, Black 16GB (Verizon Wireless)
Price: $599.99
11 used & new from $453.46

5.0 out of 5 stars S3 to S5: nice upgrade! UPDATE., August 14, 2014
I recently upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S5. There were several key improvements that made the switch worthwhile.

1. Waterproofing. I'm a photojournalist and occasionally get caught in the rain. I'm reassured that my expensive phone won't get trashed even if I get soggy as a flounder. Also, do you know how many people drop their phones in toilets, pools or puddles? It's a LOT! You need to seal the charging port with an annoying little flap at the bottom, though, which makes finding a desktop charging cradle problematic.

2. Larger / better screen. I'm a big guy and really like a decent-sized phone. Plus I use Google Maps while driving so a tiny screen just doesn't cut it. The S5 screen is slightly larger and sharper than the excellent S3 screen; great for reading eBooks and watching movies and useable even in daylight.

3. Battery life. I never had a problem with the S3 battery, but I had an issue at first with the S5 battery lasting a full day--it was draining at 7-8%/hour. I tweaked the apps and whatnot and now it drains at about 4-5%/hour. An emergency option is the new "Ultra Power Saving Mode" that shuts down all but the basic communication functions while extending the last gasp of battery life for DAYS. This could be a literal life saver.

The S5 charges faster with the new USB 3 charger, but it also charges with standard legacy USB 2 chargers. No funky adapter needed; REALLY nice engineering tweak!

4. Camera. The camera in the new S5 is far better than the S3's camera. I was startled at its quality and ability to shoot under low light.

5. Snappy operation / Using Verizon. The new processor makes the S5 a bit snappier than the S3. Sometimes I use Verizon's Mobile Office to link my laptop to the internet when working in the field. Verizon is awfully expensive, but they have a superior system, especially during emergencies like hurricanes and power outages. Lesson verified during Ike and Katrina.

CONS:

Of course, Verizon loads their usual loathsome crapware on your new phone; this junk cannot be uninstalled. Furthermore, Samsung felt free to shovel its own steaming pile on top of Verizon's. And watch out for the Google+ app. Its default setting uploads your photos into the cloud, which can be disastrous away from WiFi on a limited data plan.

Neat phone, though, with some spiffy advanced software. Many of the software upgrades are useless, but I quite like the feature that keeps the screen active if it "sees" your face with the front camera. Also, I like the NFC sensor. I bought a five-pack of Samsung's TecTiles and downloaded the free "NFC Task Launcher" to program the tiles to perform various tedious tasks--like turning off WiFi and turning on Bluetooth when getting into the car. Another one fires up Google Maps while boosting screen brightness.

The S3 is a fine device, so don't feel you must upgrade. But the S5 has several distinct improvements and, if you cell plan allows, it is worth it.
------------------------
UPDATE: There was a big firmware update (4.4.4) in mid-September. Whatever they did increased the battery life dramatically! I leave WiFi on and fine location services on and turned off "Power Saving Mode" and it still has 80% battery power after 12 hours!

Aduro Shell Holster Combo Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 "Lifetime Warranty" with Kick-Stand & Belt Clip (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular & Sprint)
Offered by Entronik
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing!, August 14, 2014
I used a nearly identical Aduro Shell Holster Combo Case for two years with my Galaxy S3. When I upgraded to the S5, this was the first thing I bought.

The case comes as a two-piece case/holster system. The case holds my Galaxy S5 in a smooth hard rubber material with well-formed cutouts for all the jacks, controls, camera, etc. The grippy case feels like very hard car tire rubber, but smooth enough that it does not snag on my pocket when I whip it out (snort!) The case wraps around the sides so the screen does not touch the desk when face down, but it has cutouts at the top and bottom to expose the jacks.

My favorite feature by far is the built-in kick stand. I often use my Galaxy S5 as an e-book reader and movie viewer. The flush mount stand clicks out to do an excellent job of positioning the phone either horizontally or vertically for easy viewing without adding bulk. Big ups to the design team!

I never use the holster section of the case, but this is the best design I've seen. You can use the case by itself, or you can slide the S5 face-first into the holster. This forms a slim, very tough shell that protects the Galaxy S5 against even serious drops and impacts. Amazingly, the various controls and jacks are still accessible inside the closed shell, though the volume control is pretty awkward in this configuration. I wish the clip on the back was removable, though.

At the price, the Aduro Holster Combo Case really earns its five stars!

B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)
B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)
Offered by Electronics Basket
Price: $64.93
23 used & new from $53.99

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT a filter fanboy!, August 6, 2014
I'm been a photojournalist for 35 years and almost never use a filter. A hard lens hood is my "go-to" solution for impact protection, increasing contrast, and reducing flare. Furthermore, UV filters were designed for film cameras and not much use on modern digital cameras.

BUT--but some pro lenses need a filter to weather-seal the lens against wind-blown rain and dust. Also, sometimes the front lens element is in danger of direct linear impact. For instance, when shooting sandblasting, sparks from a grinding wheel, at the beach or desert.

The B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Muti-Resistant Coating is about the best in the industry. Slim and clear enough to avoid vignetting with a 16mm lens on a full frame camera, the heavy pro-quality brass design goes on and off smooth as silk. I use this 77mm filter on both my 16-35mm and 70-200mm lenses--but only as necessary.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Price: $2,299.00
42 used & new from $1,909.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold standard . . ., August 2, 2014
I've been a photojournalist for over 30 years. I've owned Canon's non-IS 70-200 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 IS version 1, heck, even the original 80-200 f/2.8!

But the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM stands alone in this legendary lens lineup.

Most photographers use the 70-200mm zoom range for portraiture, fashion, sports, news, events and even landscape and wildlife photography. The weather-sealed design protects the lens during outdoor projects, and a 1.4X or 2X extender will increase its reach at the cost of speed. The rotating tripod collar holds the lens rock-steady, but slides off for comfortable hand-held photography.

Sure, it's expensive and a beast to carry. But I've bounced these bad boys off sidewalks, used them in the rain and hauled them around all day, every day, and they keep working flawlessly. Razor sharp even wide open, lightning-fast focusing, and a solid IS function for low light photography make this lens a no-brainer for advanced amateurs and pros.

This is THE gold standard lens carried by almost every pro Canon user on the planet.

Range Kleen WKT4162  82-Battery organizer with Removable Tester
Range Kleen WKT4162 82-Battery organizer with Removable Tester
Offered by AllTopBargains
Price: $15.99
14 used & new from $11.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective battery tester, good container., July 14, 2014
Down here on the Gulf Coast I keep a pretty good stash of batteries on hand in case of power outages, not to mention all the freaking remote controls, clocks and whatnot. I bought the Range Kleen WKT4162 battery organizer to neatly store my batteries. Unfortunately, the built-in battery tester was defective. The needle jams at the halfway mark.

It's not worth the hassle of returning the organizer since I already own a better battery tester. This battery tester design is pretty awkward even if it did work. Just a head's up.

The battery organizer itself is well-formed heavy-duty plastic and should last for years. You can even mount it on a wall.

Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens
Price: $1,199.00
16 used & new from $1,189.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Photojournalist's delight!, July 2, 2014
The 16-35mm focal lengths are some of the most useful zoom ranges available, ideal for architecture, landscapes, street photography, photojournalism, even environmental portraits when used properly. I've been a photojournalist for over 30 years and replaced my old 16-35 f/2.8 version 1 with the Canon 16-35 f/4L IS. I bought this new f/4 version because, frankly, the old 16-35 version 1 isn't very sharp (v. 2 isn't much better), especially at the corners.

I shot some comparison tests at f/4 at 16mm, 24mm and 35mm. The new 16-35 f/4 blows the old 16-35 f/2.8 version 1 out of the water and, here's the kicker: sharpness, resolution, color fringing, resistance to flare closely matches my fabulously expensive 24-70 f/2.8L II. Even out of focus highlights appear crisper and better defined.

The IS on the new 16-35 f/4 provides exceptional stability for hand-holding under low light conditions. The relatively compact lens hood is less cumbersome and includes a pinch-style lens cap. Although few will miss it, the new design does not incorporate a gel filter holder on the rear like the old 16-35 f/2.8 version 1.

I'm a photojournalist and prefer a f/2.8 lens to match my other lenses, but the optics on this new lens are so darn good that I'm going to slap that bad boy on one of my 5D III bodies and leave it there. Canon deserves kudos for producing a truly sharp extreme wide angle zoom at a reasonable price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20