Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 297

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "hotdog" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower Chassis (CA-PH240-W1), white
NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower Chassis (CA-PH240-W1), white
Offered by kakka31(We don't ship to AK/HI/PO/APO/FPO)
Price: $78.94
13 used & new from $67.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a couple of problems., February 8, 2016
My new computer came enclosed in the NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower Chassis. It's a nice-looking enclosure with excellent ventilation fans on the front and rear, and lots of room for more fans through the big grills on the top and bottom. I'm a big believer in air flow, especially if you have a powerful processor or serious video card.

It has lots of room for cables, several hard drives, fans, several optical drives, etc. and a nice side plastic window so you can admire your handiwork afterwards. I have plenty of connectors, screws, zip ties and hard drive trays left over if I need to modify or add anything else.

But there are some issues that make this four star and not five star enclosure, IMO:

1. The big door in front is awfully clunky, a little awkward to open and latch, and gets in the way of optical drives. I finally removed it completely.
2. The top front of the chassis overhangs the top drive position making it awkward to switch disks or do anything else. I put my Blu-ray burner in the bottom position and handles much easier.
3. The clear plastic window that allows you to observe your computer goodies scratches and abrades easily. Mine came new from the store with permanent scuff marks.

So, a good-looking, inexpensive enclosure with tons of room for just about every goody you can think of shoveling into your next project. But not ideal. Four stars.

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket, Support Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10
Price: $36.99
116 used & new from $18.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine for Win 10., February 7, 2016
I bought a new Win 10 computer and wanted to see if I could squeeze more speed from my U-verse WiFi. I was using a cheap single antenna WiFi card that worked fine but decided to splurge on the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800. It arrived promptly and fit smoothly into my new desktop. The package also contains a second smaller bracket for low-profile computers if you need it. The three antennas attached easily.

I installed the software next, typed in my WiFi password and was up and running in seconds. NOTE: I found a software update for this card when I checked "device manager." Unfortunately my WiFi is no faster, so I must have hit the wall for U-verse speed (21-22 Mbps download, 2.3-2.4 Mbps upload).

Anyway, the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 works perfectly with Win 10; no muss, no fuss.

Newhouse Lighting 3W Energy-Efficient LED Clamp Lamp Light, Black
Newhouse Lighting 3W Energy-Efficient LED Clamp Lamp Light, Black
Price: $18.73
20 used & new from $15.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket for small task lighting., February 7, 2016
I bought two Newhouse 3W LED lights for a dark corner file cabinet and under my desk to illuminate my desktop computer wiring. They both work fine, spreading a broad fan of bright light. Key selling points are low power usage and cool operation. The clamp attaches firmly to any surface and the gooseneck bends at awkward angles to illuminate specific areas.

Unfortunately they are powered by another darn (abet small) brick that must be plugged into my ever more cluttered power strips. Aside from that, five stars.

Satco S70-565 - S70565
Satco S70-565 - S70565
Offered by iQlighting
Price: $5.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for! UPDATE., January 24, 2016
This review is from: Satco S70-565 - S70565
I wanted to retrofit five of my old 100 watt quartz lights to use cool, energy-efficient 10 watt LED's, but needed to swap out the original 78mm sockets with 118mm sockets. These Satco 118mm sockets made perfect replacements. The ceramic and steel sockets sport generous 6" heavily-insulated leads and two-sided flexible bulb contacts.

I especially like the little square high temperature ceramic wire connector that comes with the socket. All you do is poke in the wire and screw it down. No wire nuts required. No instructions were included on the package, but if you need them, you really shouldn't be messing with house wiring anyway.

Just a minor heads-up: the shrink-wrapped package says in Spanish: "halogeno de 78mm", but these are 118mm sockets. No biggie, but someone might worry. The 118mm Satco sockets were delivered quickly and well packed. At the price they earn a solid five stars.

UPDATE: I finished my project and it worked perfectly. The LED lights are brighter than 100 watt quartz lights and the light fixtures don't even get warm. If you have quartz halogen lights I highly recommended retrofitting.

Cuisinart WAF-300 Belgian Waffle Maker with Pancake Plates
Cuisinart WAF-300 Belgian Waffle Maker with Pancake Plates
Offered by Sur La Table, Inc.
Price: $99.95
22 used & new from $76.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum! Stepping up my waffle game., January 22, 2016
Just finished my first batch of waffles and Canadian Bacon on the Cuisinart WAF-300 Belgian Waffle Maker. I love a good waffle and bought it on the recommendation of Consumer Reports and the Amazon reviews. I'm very pleased for several reasons:

1. It cooked four full-sized waffles (1-1/2 cups of batter!) with each run. My previous smaller waffle maker made great waffles, but it only used 3/4 cup of batter, which means I was constantly jumping up and messing with the next batch.

2. The gentle "beep" warns when the waffle plate is hot or the waffle is ready. My previous waffle maker did not have an audio alert so I had to watch the indicator light and a timer.

3. My previous waffle maker was a pain to clean. The removable cooking plates on the WAF-300 makes cleanup a snap. The sloped sides prevents overfill mess, and the non-stick removable plates are dishwasher safe. I still give the plates a shot of cooking spray to minimize tearing, however.

4. The waffle plates are deeply indented, of course, but this Cuisinart includes a second set of flat/indented plates for Canadian Bacon, eggs, pancakes and whatnot.

5. You can store this waffle maker upright with the cord wrapped around the end to minimize storage space, but it is pretty tall and may not fit everywhere.

At the price, the Cuisinart WAF-300 is a solid five stars!

WARNING: just found out the hard way not to touch the metal "feet" on the back of this waffle maker when it is up to temperature. Got a blister in one second flat!

La Farah™r7s LED 118mm 120v Dimmable Warm White 10w ---Double Ended Halogen J Type Bulb Replacement
Offered by smart impact
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $12.74

5.0 out of 5 stars From 1100 watts to 90 watts!, January 21, 2016
I have four wall sconces that each use a 150 watt quartz halogen bulb. They've always bothered me because they're huge energy hogs and generate a LOT of waste heat--hot enough to catch paper on fire or explode if you accidentally get a fingerprint on one.

I just replaced one of the halogen bulbs with the La Farah R7s LED 118mm 10 watt bulb. Good move!

My biggest concern was if the LED would be bright enough. It is. I'm a photojournalist and carefully measured the light output of the halogen bulb, then the LED. The La Farah LED was less than 1/2 stop dimmer than the 150 watt quartz bulb; basically unnoticeable to the human eye.

The one minor downside was that the La Farah LED takes about 1/2 sec. to power on. Just long enough to be slightly annoying, but no biggie considering the upsides. The color temperature is roughly the same as the quartz or tungsten light, maybe just a bit whiter.

--Pros--
10 watts vs. 150 watts!
VERY similar illumination.
Cool operation--they eventually get hot, but nothing like a quartz bulb!
Similar color light.
Long life (I hope).

--Cons--
1/2 sec. hesitation when turning on.
1/2 stop less light output--unnoticeable to the human eye.
Larger diameter. Makes no difference to me, but there might be a fancy light fixture that has an issue.

So, am I happy camper? I just ordered three more! If I ever have a problem, I will update this review immediately.

UPDATE: I'm so pleased with these lights I ordered five more and retrofitted my smaller 100 watt 78mm halogen lights with 118mm sockets. This is a worthwhile upgrade if you have quartz halogen lights.

Norpro Three Minute Wood Timer
Norpro Three Minute Wood Timer
Price: $4.94
16 used & new from $2.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't trust it. Bad buy., January 16, 2016
I bought a Norpro Three Minute Wood Timer at a local hardware store yesterday. The first time I tested it, the sand ran for 2:45, which I could live with since I would just add a fudge factor. The second time I tested it, though, the sand ran out at 3:15. When I tested the timer a final time, the sand STOPPED running after 30 seconds. Since this is so tiny and the sand is white, you can't tell the timer is jammed until it is too late.

I almost never rate something one star, but I just can't recommended this little timer to anyone. I threw mine away.

I mean, come on guys. How hard is it to put clean sand in a glass-necked jar? This technology has been around for over two thousand years!

La Farah™ R7s LED Bulb 118mm 10 Watt 120v Warm White 3000k -j Type Double Ended Tungsten Halogen Bulb 100W Replacement
Offered by smart impact
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected!, January 9, 2016

My biggest concern was if the LED would be bright enough. It is. I'm a photojournalist and carefully measured the light output of the halogen bulb, then the LED. The La Farah LED was less than 1/2 stop dimmer than the quartz bulb; basically unnoticeable to the human eye.

--Pros--
10 watts vs. 150 watts!
VERY similar illumination.
Relatively cool operation--they eventually get hot, but nothing like a quartz bulb!
Similar color light.
Long life (I hope).

--Cons--
1/2 sec. hesitation when turning on.
1/2 stop less light output--unnoticeable to the human eye.

UPDATE: I'm so pleased with these lights I ordered five more and retrofitted my smaller 100 watt 78mm halogen lights with 118mm sockets. In total, I dropped power usage from 1100 watts to 90 watts, but produce more light!
Comment Comment | Permalink

ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5" SATA HDD and SSD[6TB Support]
Offered by ORICO Technology Co.,Ltd
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $18.49

5.0 out of 5 stars About 4-1/2 stars., December 30, 2015
Like a lot of folks, I wanted to clone my Win 7 Pro drive before "upgrading" to Win 10. I already had a standard 3.5" 1 TB drive handy so I bought the ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 enclosure.

Pros:
1. USB 3.0--really serious transfer speeds.
2. Inexpensive.
3. Powered (or using USB power depending on your drive).
4. Nice illuminated power LED with on/off switch; some enclosures do not include a light and/or switch.
5. It is indeed tool-free. Slide it open, slide in the hard drive, shut it and you are good to go. Total no-brainer.
6. Comes with a little chunk of foam to secure a smaller drive that might flop around inside. I didn't need it, but I appreciate the thought.

Cons:
1. The plastic enclosure is kinda thick and clunky; less elegant than an aluminum or steel enclosure.
2. No fan or vents, so the plastic case allows heat build up. My major complaint; I'm tempted to drill some holes in the case.
3. No stand, though the rectangular box will sit upright without one.
4. Worthless microscopic instruction manual, though you don't really need it.

So, an inexpensive, speedy, super-easy external HD enclosure. Good, but probably not the very best. 4-1/2 stars.

Cutequeen Trading car 1pcs Eating/Laptop Steering Wheel Desk Black(pack of 1)
Cutequeen Trading car 1pcs Eating/Laptop Steering Wheel Desk Black(pack of 1)
Offered by autocarstore
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but kinda embarrassing!, December 2, 2015
O.K., in all honesty I first stumbled across this critter by reading the hysterically funny Best Amazon Reviews. You know, the ones with the mountain of flaming cars, crashed airliners, capsized cruise ships, etc., so I'm kinda embarrassed that I ended up buying one. But I'm a editorial photographer and sometimes I need to sit in my car at halftime or after an event and use a laptop to transmit photos in order to make tight deadlines.

The black Cutequeen Eating/Laptop Steering Wheel Desk is just the ticket for supporting my laptop while I work on photos. The flip side is also nicely shaped for fast food boxes and drink if I ever get stuck waiting out in the boonies. I needed to rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees on my 2012 Ford Fusion to attach the desk securely, but I'm pleased with the overall appearance, usefulness and construction.

So, five stars. But be sure to read the funny reviews on this critter; they'll make you fall out of your chair!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20