Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 272

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "hotdog" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Alkaline Batteries GP - 23AE 12V (pack of 5)
Alkaline Batteries GP - 23AE 12V (pack of 5)
Offered by JMD-BATTERIES
Price: $5.90
15 used & new from $3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars What more do you want?, July 18, 2015
Batteries delivered in two days. It's 2015 and the date on the package indicates these batteries are good until 2017. Dirt cheap. What more is there to say?

GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower
GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower
Price: $159.99
20 used & new from $159.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-time electric mower guy., July 15, 2015
I've been using electric mowers for over 45 years--seriously--and this is my impression of the GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded Lawnmower.

------Why Electric?------

I've always used electric mowers because they are quiet, inexpensive, last from 7-10 years, and have zero maintenance: no gas, no oil, no spark plug, no cleaning, no pull cord, no pollution. Just switch it on and go!

The key requirement is that you MUST get a high-quality cord for your electric mower; a lightweight cord can pop the circuit breaker, damage the mower or even catch on fire! For my standard city-sized front and back yards, the 100-foot Yellow Jacket 2888 13 amp cord is perfect for this and other power tools

Yes, a cord is a pain, but battery technology sux and I don't like gasoline mowers. Watch your mowing pattern; the blades WILL sever the pricey cord if you run over it. Develop a mowing pattern working outwards from the wall socket and everything will be fine.

------GreenWorks 25022------

It took me about 15 minutes to unpack and assemble the GreenWorks 25022 mower. All I needed was a pair of pliers to help cinch down the handle assembly. I set the height adjustment bar in the center position and left the mulcher plug in. Even for an electric this mower was unusually quiet. It did a smooth, even job on the Saint Augustine, some nutgrass, and even a patch of tough jasmine vines (my backyard is kinda a mess.) It ground up twigs, acorns and leaves without issue.

------Minor Downsides-------

1. The on/off switch requires you to first press a button, then pull the activation bar. The bar is attached to a metal cable that I question for long-term reliability.

2. The housing is not sealed and will probably require opening and dumping out clippings every once in awhile. I've never seen this issue before on a lawnmower. Another reviewer suggested putting some window screen on the louvers.

3. I could barely squeeze my power cord though the tiny cord retainer hole. They also placed it on the center support bar which forces you to constantly fiddle the cord back and forth so you don't run over it. It should be on the top handle.

4. I've read a number of disturbing reviews from VERY unhappy customers whose new mowers died stating that the GreenWorks construction and service is horrible. Just a heads up--I have no first-hand knowledge.

------Conclusion------

As a long-time electric mower guy, I give the GreenWorks 25022 a solid 4-1/2 stars. It has plenty of power to handle even fairly deep grass, the mulching seems satisfactory and it is extraordinary quiet. If I ever have a problem, I will update this review immediately.

Kindle Paperwhite SmartShell Case - FYY® The Thinnest and Lightest Smart Cover for All-New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (Fits All versions: 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 New 300 PPI) Red (With Auto Wake/Sleep Feature)
Offered by fyycase
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars You can find better., July 10, 2015
I bought both this FYY and the Nouske cases for my new 2015 Paperwhite since both are inexpensive and well-reviewed. I received them today and this FYY case is not quite as good as I'd hoped. Both weigh four ounces, both grip and protect the Paperwhite firmly, both automatically turn the screen on and off with the magnetic cover, both are almost identical in size and fit in the pocket of my jeans. But there are some significant differences.

This FYY cover is decent and I'm keeping it, but it doesn't want to lay flat and sometimes I can see the screen still glowing because the magnetic switch didn't quite trigger the Paperwhite shutoff circuit. The FYY only lets you read in portrait mode, plus the cover sorta slip/slides/flops from side to side in a truly annoying fashion.

The elegant Nouske design just works and looks better. The cover lays flatter and smoother, yet the unusual origami cover easily folds back to work in portrait or landscape mode.

Though nice-looking, I can only give the this FYY cover three stars.

Nouske Amazon All-new Kindle Paperwhite Origami Cover Case Smart Magnetic Autowake Function Leather Flip Folio Book Style Stand up Standing Feature, Rubber Coated Hard Back Smartshell Skin Sleeve, Magnetic Closure for Auto Lock, Sufficient Personalized Protection, Unique Functional Design, Black
Offered by NOUSKETECH
Price: $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nouske vs. FYY cases., July 10, 2015
I bought both the Nouske and the FYY cases for my new 2015 Paperwhite since both are inexpensive and well-reviewed. I received them today and this Nouske is clearly superior. Both weigh four ounces, both grip and protect the Paperwhite firmly, both automatically turn the screen on and off with the magnetic clasp, both are almost identical in size and fit in the pocket of my jeans. But there are some significant differences.

The elegant Nouske design just works and looks better. The cover lays flatter and smoother, yet the unusual origami cover easily folds back so you can read your books in portrait or landscape mode.

The FYY cover is decent and I'm keeping it, but it doesn't want to lay flat and sometimes I can see the screen still glowing because the magnetic switch didn't quite trigger the Paperwhite shutoff circuit. The FYY also only lets you read in portrait mode, plus the cover sorta slip/slides/flops from side to side.

So, Nouske: 5 stars!

All-New Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $119.00

4.0 out of 5 stars How to remove "Special Offers." Great basic reader., July 1, 2015
I bought the WiFi version of the new 300 dpi Kindle Paperwhite since I can link to my cell phone's WiFi hotspot in a pinch. It only took about 60 seconds to sign in and log on to my existing Kindle account.

The new Paperwhite appears very well-made with a sleek and grippy surface. The matte screen is easy on the eyes and illuminates evenly with a neutral beige back light, marred only by a vague LED shadows at the bottom. The device shuts down automatically after ten minutes of disuse to save power. Unlike most readers, the e-paper screen looks terrific in direct sunlight. I found it a bit heavier than I expected (almost half a pound) but it transports easily in my jean's pocket.

Though I would like more contrast, this is a first-rate basic text reader. It lets you choose from seven typefaces and offers vanilla typeface sizing, line spacing and margin choices. Amazon's much-touted new Bookerly typeface is good, but I found the old "Caecilia" and "Helvetica" typefaces more readable. The size and 300 dpi screen makes it very much like reading a paperback book. Unfortunately, this Paperwhite still does not support ragged right justification.

A single tap on the left or right of the screen turns the page; tapping at the top brings up menu choices like the screen illumination and the home icon. Though worth exploring, I found most of the other menu options of little interest. The only physical switch is a tiny power button on the bottom next to the standard micro USB port. The battery lasts roughly five days if used four hours per day with WiFi on and the screen light set relatively high (18)--I get double that with WiFi off in "Airplane Mode."

Operation is snappy, going from one page to the next in about 1/2 second. Turning it off or on only takes about 1-2 seconds. I regretted opting for the version with "special offers," however. I hoped for targeted ads, but most were badly misplaced, like the bodice-busters that kept popping up. I was able to disable the special offers screen by contacting Amazon help via chat under the "Manage Your Content and Devices" on my computer. It only took the terrific chat people a few seconds to disable the Special Offers--at no charge! The home screen now displays some cool graphics and books open faster.

Downsides:

Just a heads up--I was surprised at how difficult it is to shop for books or navigate my library on the Paperwhite's small black and white screen. I've really gotten spoiled by the jazzy color screens on tablets and cell phones.

The Paperwhite screen does not "invert" for night reading. I enjoy reading white text on a black screen at night to avoid dazzling my eyes. An oversight that Amazon will probably never fix.

There is no USB charger included with the Paperwhite. Of course, most folks have a dozen USB chargers laying around these days, but I think it was kinda cheap leaving it out.

There is no audio: no speakers and no audio jack. If you purchased the audiobook option with your download, you're out of luck.

It's not waterproof. Dang.

Finally, the admittedly experimental browser function isn't ready for prime time and I doubt Amazon will ever improve it. But it isn't fair to count this against the Paperwhite since it is just a freebie.

---------------------

The upshot is that I'm pretty pleased with the new 300 dpi Kindle Paperwhite. The crisp text, long battery life, sleek form factor and solid build quality make this a terrific basic reader. But I'm not sure it is worth the asking price considering that every electronic device in the world can download the Kindle app. Don't expect Amazon to ever improve the firmware or add features; what you see is what you get.

BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac
BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac
Price: $50.00
64 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lithium Power!, June 26, 2015
Over the years I've purchased four portable vacuums containing standard rechargeable batteries. These batteries last for about a year, then you are stuck with buying a new vacuum or tracking down an exotic replacement battery. But the folks at Black + Decker went a different route by installing a pricey lithium battery in their Black + Decker CHV1410L. This gives it much better battery longevity and operating time. This alone makes it worth buying this vacuum.

But this thing really SUX! I mean this in the best possible way. The CHV1410L has serious cleaning power. Not as powerful as a plug-in canister vac, of course, but far more than other portable vacuums I've owned.

There are downsides. This vacuum is pretty bulky and does not hang on a wall. That means you need to find a big chunk of shelf space for this bad boy. This is somewhat offset by a clever charger base that allows you to set down the vacuum in any orientation.

Despite these quibbles, I'd rate the Black + Decker CHV1410L a solid 4-1/2 stars.

Mueller Fitted Wrist Brace, Left, Green, Black, Large/X-Large
Mueller Fitted Wrist Brace, Left, Green, Black, Large/X-Large
Offered by The Therapy Connection
Price: $12.44
3 used & new from $12.44

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate!, June 23, 2015
I bought a large Mueller Fitted Wrist Brace because my left thumb suffers from tendonitis. This brace is well-made, attractive and breathes, which is important since I live in Houston. I appreciate the kinda sporty appearance, though I wish the lime green protective cloth under the Velcro straps was a bit wider and black.

I've been wearing it constantly during the day, including when I drive, type or work around the house. I only take it off when I need to shower, etc. This brace feels quite comfortable and my thumb feels a bit better. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Five stars!

Smart Sheep 6-Pack XL Premium 100% Wool Dryer Balls (Reusable, #1 All-Natural Fabric Softener ~ Best Ranked, Great Gift)
Offered by Mama Moon Boutique
Price: $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars They work! But a couple of downsides . . ., June 15, 2015
I discovered wool dryer balls though a Facebook post--I'd never heard of such a thing! I chose the Smart Sheep 6-Pack XL Premium because of the thousands of positive reviews. It sounded like a good way to cut back on chemicals in my environment and save a couple of bucks in the long run.

First, these little critters work perfectly. About the size and weight of fat, wool-stuffed tennis ball, you just toss these bad boys into the dryer with your clothes and rock and roll. No lint or wool fibers, no muss or fuss. I know people rave about "fluffy" clothes, but my clothes came out about the same as with dryer sheets, which was fine. I could tell no difference in drying time. Maybe a little more static, but I live in Houston where static is rarely an issue.

Minor downsides:

These balls kinda bounce around in the dryer and make a soft "thunking" sound. Not loud, but just a bit more noise than dryer sheets. Also, I always used the old dryer sheet to clean the lint trap, now I use my hand or a paper towel. No biggie, just a heads up. You also need a way to store these things so they don't fall on the floor or get dirty; I just leave them sitting in the dryer for next time.

Anyway, five stars. The Smart Sheep 6-Pack XL Premium do what they advertise.

TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge, 100 PSI
TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge, 100 PSI
Price: $8.87
28 used & new from $5.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, illumated and easy to use., June 12, 2015
I bought the TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge after I misplaced my beloved old Brookstone dial pressure gauge. This is a real step up.

Using this little critter is a joy. The brightly-illuminated dial and nozzle are clearly visible at night or in a dim garage. I only lose a whisper of air when pressing it onto a tire valve stem. The readout remains on the screen for 30 seconds; my old dial gauge lost the reading the instant it slipped from the valve stem.

Other positives: they delivered it in two days with Amazon Prime. The price is more than reasonable. This gauge has a mufti-function readout some will appreciate (PSI, BAR, KPA, Kg/cm squared). And the jazzy red plastic casing makes it easy to find in a cluttered glove box.

Negatives? Just some minor quibbles. You have to unscrew the case to access the batteries, though reviewers say it has a very long battery life. I would like a setting lock so it only displayed PSI. I wouldn't mind a heavier plastic or metal construction, though this looks pretty rugged.

At the price, the TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge is a solid five stars.

ECS Samsung Galaxy S5 Replacement Usb Port Cover Flap
ECS Samsung Galaxy S5 Replacement Usb Port Cover Flap
Offered by BBQbuy -- Ships from HongKong
Price: $1.65
72 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! My phone is waterproof again!, June 8, 2015
The fragile USB port cover on my Galaxy S5 broke off and this is an identical replacement part. These things break all the time, so if you plan to use your Galaxy S5 for awhile, go ahead and buy two or three of these critters and keep 'em in a drawer. It took less than five minutes to open my phone, unscrew the tab, and replace the cover. I followed these You Tube instructions:

The only tricky part was keeping the black sticky tape under the tab in place to maximize the waterproofing. Five stars!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20