Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1930

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "hotdog" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pfister Jaida Single Control 4" Centerset Bathroom Faucet, Brushed Nickel
Pfister Jaida Single Control 4" Centerset Bathroom Faucet, Brushed Nickel
Price: $108.00
6 used & new from $92.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Ewwwww--"fun" job! And 1/3 the water flow., December 16, 2014
If you've never attempted a plumbing upgrade, let me first warn you that this is one of the most unpleasant household chores out there. I had to laugh at Pfister's "how-to" video with its pristine, clean, perfectly-fitting hardware and roomy, well-lit conditions.

In my case, I first had to remove my old faucet and drain. It was a study in slime, rust and corroded parts while almost standing on my head to wrestle with awkward stuck fittings. And the horror that slimed out of the P-trap could give a buzzard the dry heaves! In addition to the tools suggested by the instructions, may I suggest a single-edge razor blade, green 3M or copper scrubbing pad, flashlight, dishpan, several rag towels, aspirin and lots of patience.

The finished project looks sleek and elegant, but the water flow is much slower than my previous "el-cheapo" aerator faucet. I measured by filling up a glass and it took three times longer with the new Pfister Jaida faucet. Still, it is a totally functional and worthwhile upgrade!

CM Storm QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX BROWN Switches and Fully LED Backlit
Price: $85.82

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good, the Bad and the Ugly keyboard., November 29, 2014
My beloved Logitech K740 keyboard finally started failing after 3-1/2 years. After soliciting advice and checking reviews, I choose the CM Storm QuickFire TK with Cherry MX Brown switches. Quite a radical change!

BAD/UGLY:

Not as sleek and low-profile as the Logitech K740, the tops of the QuickFire keys are pretty high--roughly 1-1/2 inches above the desktop. The overall appearance is square, rugged and looks like they made it from repurposed Soviet tank treads.

The arrow keys and navigation keys are incorporated into the number keypad. This saves desk space, but sometimes makes things a bit awkward.

GOOD:

Bright white keys are sharp and easy to read. All keys and spaces between are illuminated. I keep the key illumination on its lowest setting to avoid dazzling my eyes while editing photos.

Clicky! MAN, I've missed using a keyboard with mechanical key action! I bought the model with the Cherry MX Brown switches whose action feels "just right." A bit noisy compared to standard keyboards, but it's a joy to use.

Reliable. This bad boy is rated for tens of millions of keystrokes! I'm sick of keyboards going bad after a year or two. The solid construction can really take a pounding.

Removable USB cord. This keyboard uses a standard USB to connect to the computer, of course, but it also uses a micro-USB that plugs into the keyboard itself for ease of storage and transport. The braided cord attaches to a slot underneath and feeds out a left or right or rear channel.

I'm still getting used to this new keyboard, but it earns a solid 4-1/4 stars. If I ever have a problem, I'll update this review immediately.

TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme LED Upgrade for Mini Maglite 2AA Flashlight
TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme LED Upgrade for Mini Maglite 2AA Flashlight
Offered by Firefly Buys
Price: $16.99
54 used & new from $14.02

5.0 out of 5 stars 7X brighter!, November 23, 2014
I'm a photojournalist and used an incident light meter to compare the standard 2AA Mini Maglite bulb against the TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme LED. It was a little tricky, but the bare LED measured roughly seven times brighter than the original krypton bulb! I'm still seeing spots before my eyes.

The LED produces a much cleaner white light and the replacement reflector smooths the beam spread better than the original reflector. Factoring in the longer battery life, this is a major upgrade for this little workhorse flashlight.

Don't hesitate--this is a solid five star upgrade.

Philips 433227 10.5-watt Slim Style Dimmable A19 LED Light Bulb, Soft White
Philips 433227 10.5-watt Slim Style Dimmable A19 LED Light Bulb, Soft White
Price: $7.57
30 used & new from $4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars More like a 40 watt bulb . . ., November 15, 2014
I bought a couple of these Phillips 10.5-watt LED bulbs to replace two deck lights. The color closely resembles the standard warm white light of incandescent bulbs or warm CFL bulbs. The unique flattened doughnut shape is made of tough plastic and screws into a standard light socket. Heat output is minimal. If you leave it burning for an hour and grip the bulb, it feels warm, not hot.

I haven't tested the dimming ability of these bulbs, so I'll just skip that feature. But I think the manufacturer might be a bit optimistic about the light output. I would judge it--maybe--as bright as an old fashioned 40 watt incandescent bulb. Still, this was exactly what I wanted for my back porch, so I'm a happy five star camper!

MAGLITE M2A03H AA Mini Flashlight and Holster Combo Pack, Red
MAGLITE M2A03H AA Mini Flashlight and Holster Combo Pack, Red
Price: $10.99
57 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of alkaline batteries! Use Eneloops. Update., November 15, 2014
After over 20 years of reliable use, my old Maglite AA Mini Flashlight was ruined when both AA alkaline batteries leaked, jammed and badly corroded the inside. Well, this gave me an opportunity to replace my standard black Maglite with a jazzy red model. The red color makes it a bit easier to spot in junk drawers and glove compartments. The flashlight projects a powerful, focusing beam. It can also act as an electric "candle" by removing the reflector.

Maglites are waterproof and made of tough aircraft aluminum. The included rip stop nylon holster grips the handle snugly. The ends seal with rubber "O" rings that make them ideal for emergencies and foul weather. These things last just about forever and I replaced the bulb once in 20+ years. They even include a spare bulb in the end cap!

Although I'm using the included alkaline AA batteries right now, I'm going to replace them with AA Eneloop batteries. The Eneloops work just fine and do not pose the danger of ruining my new flashlight.

Update: I replaced the standard krypton bulb with the TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme LED Upgrade for Mini Maglite 2AA Flashlight. The light is 7X brighter and a clean white color. Good upgrade!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2014 5:31 PM PST

Eveready 08851 - Brilliant Beam Assorted Color Magnet Flashlight (Batteries Included) (E251WB-S)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic flashlight!, October 24, 2014
My old under-the-venthood flashlight was ruined when the "D" cells leaked and corroded the spring and bulb contacts. I bought this Eveready 08851 as a replacement. It's perfect! Nice bright beam, powerful magnet and batteries were included.

Just what I was looking for!

5 Pcs Parallel Connection 3x 1.5V AA Battery Holder Case Box White
5 Pcs Parallel Connection 3x 1.5V AA Battery Holder Case Box White
Offered by uxcell
Price: $10.93
2 used & new from $10.65

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE! I'll never buy another "D" cell., October 21, 2014
After Hurricane Ike, I assembled an emergency stash of several dozen "D" cells. But the first year at least 25% of my expensive "D" cells started oozing crud all over the place--even the most expensive name brands. Yes, you know the ones I'm talking about; those leak, too. What a mess!

I went looking for a solution. I first tried the Eneloop converters, but a single AA battery does not last very long. Then I bought a 5 pack of these 3X 1.5V AA battery adapters to see if they were any good. I got them yesterday and I'm pleased with the sturdy construction. I've stockpiled AA Eneloop cells and they fit snugly in these parallel connection cases. I figure this 3X AA configuration might last half as long as a standard "D" cell, but mainly they don't leak and are rechargeable. The exterior case size exactly matches a standard "D" cell.

Unfortunately, the AA batteries are very tight fitting in these cases. You've really got to press hard to get them to seat properly and I'm worried about cracking the battery holder.

But do I recommend these cells? I just bought 20 more!

---------------------------

UPDATE! Eneloop AA cells fit PERFECTLY in my latest batch of 20 new 3X battery holders. Batteries snap right in and out with no struggle at all! Changing my review from four to five stars.

Jarden MrC Steam Espresso Maker
Jarden MrC Steam Espresso Maker
Offered by Wickedly Fabulous Deals
Price: $60.00
5 used & new from $44.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in a week!, October 10, 2014
Suffering from caffeine withdrawal as I write this.

I initially wrote a glowing review for the Jarden MrC Steam Espresso Maker. But this morning I went to prepare my daily cappuccino and my heart froze! While the brew light went on, absolutely nothing happened! Since I already tossed the box and receipt, I've got to eat the entire expense of my brand new espresso maker.

Good espresso; bad, BAD construction! Wish I could list as less than one star.

Forced Ascent (The Demon Accords Book 7)
Forced Ascent (The Demon Accords Book 7)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hellzapoppin!, October 3, 2014
I'm an unabashed fanboy of John Conroe's Demon Accords series. This book takes it to a whole new level as the supernatural spills out onto city streets on live TV. Heavily armed government troops perform their usual function as monster chow. Looks like the secret supernatural community is out big time and should provide some rich new story possibilities. Conroe might even tie this into "Black Frost."

My one criticism is that I have a hard time believing that the US government/president would be quite so self-destructive as to escalate the aggression against Chris and Tanya. I mean, the guy is an ANGEL for crying out loud. I don't care how big a sociopath you are, declaring war on an angel seems like a real bad PR move. And why are witches always such a pain in the a$$? Aside from the one young man and his moms in the previous book, they are all vile.

Despite my criticisms, I can't wait for the next book. Love this series!

Whitmor 6026-2516 Stackable Expandable Shoe Rack
Whitmor 6026-2516 Stackable Expandable Shoe Rack
Price: $19.97
29 used & new from $17.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for . . ., September 5, 2014
After a bad experience with a poorly-made bamboo shoe rack that ended up in the dumpster, I was pleased that the Whitmor Expandable Shoe Rack fits an odd space in my closet perfectly. No tools necessary. I assembled the smooth sliding bars and wood frame in less than five minutes without even looking at the instructions. If you have serious shoe needs, you can stack multiple units with a simple peg-in-hole system.

The metal bars are slick, however. If you find that your shoes tend to slide, consider getting some anti-skid tape from a hardware store. Also, I'm a big guy and my hiking boots don't fit very well, but normal shoes and sneakers fit fine. At the price, this is a five star product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20