Profile for Curious Cook > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Curious Cook RSS Feed

PEELED Black Garlic 2 (or more) Pounds $49.50 ea, 5-Star Quality. all-natural. Equal to 4 pounds unpeeled black garlic (no waste in stems, cores peels in weight!)
Offered by The Veg Chefs
Price: $49.50

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality black garlic, December 14, 2014
Superb quality. Arrived within a few days, faster than estimated. Intact peeled cloves with a nice moisture content. Soft enough to mash into an aoli, but not so squishy that they fall apart in the tub they are shipped in. Great, raisiny, prune-like flavor with a mild aged garlic emphasis. Will definitely purchase again.

Hallmark Plush KID3144 Minnie Mouse Mini Skirt Plush
Hallmark Plush KID3144 Minnie Mouse Mini Skirt Plush
Offered by Zoomerang
Price: $13.99
13 used & new from $9.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutest Minnie to be had anywhere., October 19, 2014
There are many Minnie items, but amongst them all this particular one takes the cake for sheer cuteness. Other Minnies don't have the proportions or features to wow like this unabashed cutey, other ones are too rodent like (yeah I know she's supposed to be a mouse). A hit with nieces and on Valentine's day alike, highly recommended. Please note, the skirt she comes with is presumably for the giftee, and is largely a throw away. Also, tiny tikes with hearty hands may eventually wear Minnie down and the metal inserts which allow her arms and legs to be bent to your whim could pop out and become a danger. Unlikely to happen in the short to medium term, but a heads up for those who keep Minnie around a long time in high traffic kid-intense areas.

Conair 213XP Infiniti Professional Tourmaline Ceramic Technology Ionic Styler, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Woah! Just what I had been looking for!, November 5, 2011
First off I'm a dude and I have short hair, so for many years I didn't think I needed to spend much mental effort in acquiring a "hairdryer".

Times have changed.

This is a fantastic product that I wholeheartedly recommend. I finally decided to stop picking up a cheezy $20 hairdryer every couple of years from walmart or target, and decided to get a quality product. Unlike most times I have tried to take a similar approach to a "common" household product, this purchase is an epic success. For not that much more money than I usually would spend, the *Conair 213XP Infiniti Professional Tourmaline Ceramic Technology Ionic Styler* is simply amazing. I use it to dry my whole body of residual moisture after toweling off, to dry errant globs of still-wet antiperspirant under my arms, and to generally just dry stuff all over the house whenever I need it.

I don't consider it just a "hairdryer", it is instead my go-to forced-air device for many many uses.

It incorporates the latest technologies I was seeking (ceramic element and ion-generation) and is robust, sleek and elegant. I rarely use the "hot" setting, it dries everything just fine on either just "warm" or even "cool".

The only drawback I could imagine for others, although this doesn't bother me in the least, is that it is kinda weighty and hefty relative to hairdryers I have had in the past... if someone were looking for a light and insubstantial dryer that fits neatly on the counter, this is not that item.

srsly. luv it.

[Update: This came in handy when a cup of water spilled amongst electronics. I quickly sprung into action by blotting up excess water, spritzing the entire area with neat isopropanol and then using the Conair 213XP Infiniti to get rid of residual water by forming an azeotrope with the isopropanol. Awesome dryer tool]

by Heston Blumenthal
Price: $145.00
31 used & new from $139.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting testament to a fascinating fellow..., November 15, 2008
The Big Fat Duck Cookbook

This book is an accomplishment worthy of telling Blumenthal's tale of discovery and evolution. It is in fact exactly what I had been looking for every time I had previously purchased an overgrown coffe-table cook book... usually to be let down by the quality, format or content.

Those three aspects: quality, format and content drive the perfect rating I served up. The book is weighty, with high quality paper so thick you will swear that two pages are between your fingers, not one. I seemingly always have trouble with book bindings that fall apart... not this time: the Fat Duck is quite well bound with marker-ribbons for placekeeping.

The art inside is a blistering barrage of jazz-era, inked sketches of Blumenthal at various stages of discovery superimposed upon vividly colored, intriguingly compelling and sometimes darkly disturbing swaths of imagery. If asked prior to reading the Fat Duck, art in a cookbook would have been the component I consider least important to it's overall success. In contrast, here the art is an essential component, almost like theme music that drives audience emotional investment in a theater performance. The photographs are also of exquisite quality and sharpness, even when comprising the entire page.

The Fat Duck is formatted into three sections: History, Recipes and Science. The history section (~125 pages) is a autobiographical tale that really emphasizes how unique Blumenthal's journey has been. His amazing priority of food exploration and inquisitiveness come across clearly in this section. The conversational, fireside manner of the discussion makes it eminently readable.

The recipe section (~300 pages) has each item prefaced with a background tale of discovery and evolution. I found this to be fascinating snapshots of the creative process; they also provide some continuity if the reader elects to peruse the book from front to back instead of hopping from recipe to recipe. These prefaces were exactly what I had been hoping to find when I purchased the El Bulli cook book (latest one) some time back, only to be left lacking. Fortunately, the Fat Duck does give insight into the recipes, where El Bulli directs the reader to some incomprehensible series of images on a separate CD or to a complicated meal engineering schematic. Again, here Blumenthal's conversational prose and intuitive approach provide something that is lacking from many other cooking texts (I find Thomas Keller to also have a great writing style, if that helps you to gauge what I prefer). The recipes have lots and lots of information, and in this respect Blumenthal certainly lives up to his creed that a great recipe has all the pertinent info splayed out for the cook, so one doesn't have to imagine what takes place between the written steps.

The final section (Science; ~80 pages)is a series of chapters describing in fantastic, but readable, detail such topics as Meat Cookery, Ice Cream Science, Fat Duck Restaurant tools/instruments and ingredients. Next comes a series of vignettes from notables and hoary scientists from the field of food science. In full disclosure, I am a scientist so perhaps I am not the best judge of how approachable these sections are, but I feel its about on the level of "Scientific American" articles; i.e. a reasonably intelligent, but unfamiliar reader will have no trouble. I think it speaks volumes that Blumenthal decided to publish a family/child cookbook as his first attempt; that fundamental priority to educate drives this publication as well.

The table of contents is a fold out four-page peek into Blumenthal's brain (literally!). It isn't to be missed.

Finally, the content: As a fellow who worked in restaurants for >10 years before returning to school and eventually becoming a scientist, I am ecstatic to see my twin loves, food and chemistry, brought together in such an over-the-top book. This book continues a recent trend toward popularizing and demystifying Molecular Gastronomy that includes such works as Grant Achatz' Alinea and Keller's Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide.

In a nutshell, The Fat Duck is a grand attempt to capture a bold persona, a cooking revolution and a sensible approach to flavor design all in one book. In my opinion, it succeeds on every level.