Profile for K. Elwell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Elwell RSS Feed

Amber Alert GPS Locator, Black (AT&T)
Amber Alert GPS Locator, Black (AT&T)

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, May 22, 2014
I have gone through three of these devices. All have been junk. It does not update every five minutes. Mine have taken hours to update, and I am not notified when my son enters and exits the specified zones. I posted a longer review of this product on the other Amber Alert page. It is an extremely buggy, unreliable piece of technology. If you insist on taking a risk with this thing, then buy it from AT&T. That way it is easy to cancel. Better yet, just get a phone for your kid and put a tracking App on it.

Amber Alert GPS Child Locator Tracking Device
Amber Alert GPS Child Locator Tracking Device

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter junk, May 22, 2014
I wish I had never heard of this device, as it has caused me so much frustration and anger. I have been through three of these things. The first one was broken right out of the box and couldn't be activated. The second device worked only intermittently, and pretty poorly at that. It is supposed to update at least every 5 minutes, but in reality it will often take over an hour to update. For some reason, as soon as my child gets near school it stops updating altogether. It is not a problem with the reception there. I have spoken to both AT&T and the Amber Alert people, and the GPS tracking capability is at its strongest where my son attends school. Now, the very reason I bought this device is because of the total unreliability of my son's school bus. I need to know when he leaves school. I have the zones properly set up, but the monitor will not tell me that he has left school u til 20-30 minutes AFTER the fact. So after over two months of using this junk and frequently calling Amber Alert to complain, they finally sent me a new device. Guess what? It is no better than the old one. My son has been at school for nearly an hour and it hasn't updated for the past hour OR informed me that he even arrived at school. PLEASE, do not waste your money on this crap. Buy a phone for your kid instead.

Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts
Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts
Offered by mariod999
Price: $39.99
37 used & new from $36.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my beardie's life, January 7, 2014
The UV light for my son's juvenile beardie (Spike) went out over Christmas. With all the craziness going on it was several days before I got around to replacing it. Also, I wasn't aware just HOW important that light is. Like, if both the heat and UV bulb go out, get the UV replaced FIRST kind of important. Poor little Spike ended up impacted and went without eating for several days. I also realized that his cage wasn't warm enough. We were able to clear the impaction with a long warm bath, and I headed to Petco for a whole new set-for Spike, including a bigger home. I decided on the PowerSun bulb, since I liked the simplicity of everything we needed in one bulb. I balked a bit at the price, but quickly calculated that making separate purchases for the bulbs and fixtures would be in the same ballpark in regards to cost. The bulb was on sale for the same price shown here on Amazon. After a few hours under the PowerSun Spike improved noticeably. He leapt down from his perch to gobble up some crickets. He continued to improve rapidly. It made me realize just how sick he must have been. Spike had been lethargic for over a week prior to getting this bulb, mostly remaining curled up and sleepy under a hide. Now he struts around his cage, eagerly gobbling up any cricket or mealworm in his path and pooping them out with regularity. His color is bright again and he zooms around the house on his leash. The difference is so extreme that I'm sure we would have lost Spike if I hadn't gotten him proper lighting. PowerSun works.

PicassoTiles® 100 piece set Magnet Building Tiles Clear 3D color Magnetic Building Blocks - Creativity beyond Imagination! - Educational, Inspirational, Conventional, and Recreational!"
Offered by KickBOT
Price: $94.99
3 used & new from $65.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, December 27, 2013
Like many other parents, I was confused by the variety of magnet tiles available. Magna-Tiles are so dang expensive, I cringed at spending so much money on them when Picasso Tiles are so much cheaper. I was worried that this product would be junky or inferior, and while I can't compare these tiles to Magna-Tiles, I am very impressed with them. They hold together well, my boys can build a large skyscraper with the 100 piece set, and they seem to be made well enough. Very glad I got these instead of a more expensive brand. I also got the Stick N Stack stabilizer, which is quite helpful at holding up buildings.

Beco Butterfly II Baby Carrier
Beco Butterfly II Baby Carrier

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love it!!, May 6, 2011
I have two kids and have tried many different carriers. I loved the Ergo with my first baby, but not so much with my second. My youngest is 4 months, and I was excited to use the Ergo with him as soon as he got old enough (I didn't have the infant insert). It didn't work out well...my baby hated it. He got very squirmy and upset whenever I put him in it. I was also reminded of all the things I don't like about the Ergo: The shoulder straps that are always lifting up and flopping off, that obnoxious sleeping hood with the mile-long straps that my baby hated and I never used but was always in the way, and how all the other straps just hang there. Also, even though I got to be a pro at putting DS on my back, I nearly dropped him once when we were over pavement. I got very excited when I learned that the Butterfly has an inner panel to keep baby securely in the carrier while transferring from front to back...or even to another person! Also, the sleeping hood is detachable and is kept in a clever pouch on the carrier, and the long straps can be wound up. After receiving it and taking it out for a spin, I am so glad I bought it! The shoulder straps stay in one place, it is very comfortable and secure-feeling, comes in beautiful patterns, and oh yeah...my baby loves it too! This carrier doesn't have a zippered pocket like the Ergo, so I got a Patapum, and me and baby are good to go!

Weehuggers Diaper Cover Snaps (1 [6-18 lbs], PISTACHIO)
Weehuggers Diaper Cover Snaps (1 [6-18 lbs], PISTACHIO)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but useless, March 3, 2011
I had high hopes for this cover. I think it's a great idea to have flaps inside the cover to hold a tri folded prefold or other type of insert. My first thought, when I read that the flaps were a soft material, was that it would take forever to dry out. But then I read some great reviews of this item and decided to try it. I regret it. The covers are very cute, well made, and fit well. However, the flaps inside make this cover useless. They get thoroughly soaked with every use (yes, I am using a folded PF and not a fitted dipe, and I change my son's diaper often-every hour or so) and it takes many, many hours to dry out. So I get to use it once a day, and then it takes overnight to dry out. So now I either have to sell it or cut out the flaps so I can use it more than once a day. What a waste of money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2011 7:53 AM PDT

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin
Price: $11.56
164 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book a pregnant woman needs!, January 6, 2011
If I could give this book 100 stars, I would. It was vitally important to my birth experience 5 years ago. Even though my son was born in the hospital, I had a beautiful experience with absolutely no interventions or drugs. By using the info from this book I was able to remain calm and just "go with it." The result was that I had an abundance of endorphins and far less pain than I had anticipated. Right now I'm overdue for baby #2 and rereading this wonderful book. Take the advice of the hundreds of glowing reviews and BUY THIS BOOK!

Painless Childbirth: An Empowering Journey Through Pregnancy and Birth
Painless Childbirth: An Empowering Journey Through Pregnancy and Birth
by Giuditta Tornetta
Price: $15.42
83 used & new from $1.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for getting you in the right frame of mind for labor, January 1, 2011
With all of the "BIRTH IS AN IMMEDIATE CRISIS THAT MUST BE MEDICALLY MANAGED ASAP" info that women receive throughout their lives, this book provides a good antidote. I didn't read this book before my first child was born, but I experienced all the things described in the book when a birth is allowed to unfold naturally. Yes, positive affirmations definitely work to reduce fear and pain and speed things along, and it cannot be stated strongly enough that you MUST have a loving and supportive team around you. That means no doctors or nurses forcing interventions on you or screaming at you to push. Birth really is a beautiful and life-changing experience. However, I found the book pretty irritating in places. I don't see the need to be so new-agey about natural birth, and it annoys me when it seems that authors go way overboard in this area. Ever time I read "hug your baby out," I had to roll by eyes. The author is also a hypnotist and relates many stories about sessions with her clients. Hypnosis is an EXTREMELY unreliable method of retrieving past information. The brain is very malleable, and anyone who takes an intro psychology class can learn about the studies that have been done debunking the myth that all of our memories are perfectly encapsulated, just waiting to be uncovered. It's an outdated way of thinking. So taking someone back to the day they were born in order to solve their current issues seems ridiculous to me. I don't think of this book as essential pregnancy reading. If you only buy one book your entire pregnancy, make it Ina Mae's Guide to Childbirth. It's a fascinating read, and it enabled me to have a wonderful birth. There's none of the new-agey wackiness in it, either. You don't have to be a spacey Hippie to be a huge supporter of midwife-assisted natural birth.

Graco Sarah Dressing Table, Cherry
Graco Sarah Dressing Table, Cherry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great table for a great price, December 4, 2010
We recently received this table, and I love it! It looks very nice and the stain matches our other furniture. I tried shaking it around, and it isn't wobbly at all. It went together nicely (well, after a few curse words from DH, anyway). I was not about to spend $100+ on a changing table, and I looked all over at thrift stores, and Craigslist sellers usually charge $50+ for a halfway decent table. I figured that $60 with free shipping was the best I could do. So glad I didn't spring for a more expensive model!

The Wheat-Free Cook: Gluten-Free Recipes for Everyone
The Wheat-Free Cook: Gluten-Free Recipes for Everyone
by Jacqueline Mallorca
Price: $13.62
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 6, 2009
Out of all the recipes and resources I've used to create gluten-free meals for my family, this book is the very best. I've tried many of the recipes and they have all been delicious. One reviewer remarked that many of the listed ingredients may not be found in the ordinary kitchen, but really, people with a gluten intolerance/allergy really need to investigate new food ideas. It's all stuff that can be found at the health food store. The last recipe I tried was the citrus/poppy muffins, and my 3 year old is scarfing them down. Get this book for the gluten-avoider in your life!