Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Profile for TundraBee > Reviews

Browse

TundraBee's Profile

Customer Reviews: 599

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TundraBee RSS Feed (o/~ from the Land of Sky Blue Waters o/~)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote
Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote
Price: $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad odds that you will get one that works., July 16, 2016
I was really looking forward to getting this.
After reading the Q & A here, (yep. I should have done that before ordering) and still not being able to get the darned remote open to insert batteries, I took it to local Radio Shack and had to buy batteries so that guy would work with it to get it open. Came home. We proceeded through relatively painless installation and set-up and watched a movie. Great.
But, when we attempted to watch another movie a couple hours later, the screen keeps saying that it can't find its server, although when I check settings, it assures me that it's wifi connection is all good.The portion inserted into the TV is hot.
So, I went back to Q & A, and did everything recommended there:"Says my wifi is not working when it is. Is anyone having this issue?"
Yes, we are! So, we went through many disconnections, "time-out" and reconnections to no avail.
We're sending it back for a replacement. But from the Q & A comments above, it appears to be crapshoot on whether we get a replacement one that will work for more than one viewing.
:O

Dying in Indian Country: Revised Edition
Dying in Indian Country: Revised Edition
by Elizabeth Morris
Price: $15.99
9 used & new from $14.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Boozhoo from Leech Lake Rez., January 27, 2016
A paid ad kept showing up in my Facebook newsfeed for this book -ostensibly about life on the Rez and in Indian Country. So, I bought it and commenced reading. Wow. It claims to be about my home rez. I do not know this family about whom the author claims to speak. I came back to Amazon to check it out. Lo and behold, this is a "revised" edition of a previous edition authored by "Beth Ward" who must have taken Carrie Underwood's "I don't even know my last name" song to heart. Maybe it's Hallelujah Michele Bachmann writing under a pen name.
Yes, there are problems here on the rez - but not as widespread as whoever the heck the author(s?) are would have the reader believe in order to spew anti-native propaganda, venom, lies and BS so as to abrogate all sacred Treaty Rights. See, e.g. http://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/954
Skip this book. Read Rez Life instead.
Miigwitch.

Acer Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013-1369 Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop (64GB)
Offered by uShopMall (USA Tax Free)
Price: $299.99
2 used & new from $189.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secret, July 30, 2015
This arrived yesterday, and worked fine until this afternoon. Now it will not start. No go. I have read the manual and performed all the recommended maneuvers. Nada. Called Customer Service for a pre-screening. He gave me the "Secret" number to call. It's been busy for hours. Recording says I should either call back later or leave a message with info so they can call me back when they get around to it - but then proceeds to hang up on me.
Etc.
Stay tuned ...
...on day four, I was able to talk to a real person.
Problem solved
I bought this to replace my original Surface Pro, which I dearly love - but their unique charger is the definition of American Corporate planned obsolescence. They were poorly made and require regular replacement. Cheap Chinese equivalents work poorly or not at all. And Microsoft is no longer making OEM chargers for the original Surface Pro, so that people will have to buy an SP 2 or 3. And getting OEM chargers from 3d party venders/speculators was getting spendier all the time.
So I decided to take a chance on this Acer Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013-1369. And I'm glad I did, once I learned the secret, which is:
If the unit is just sitting there dead, like a brick and will not "go" i.e. boot
HOLD the power button down and count to 40 (in any language and with or without expletives) or until the thing turns on - whichever comes first :D
[Note: He also told me to only charge it until the icon indicates fully charged. Overcharging can cause the problem [which in retrospect may have contributed to the Surface Pro problem?]
Once "on," set up of the Acer was easy - the Microsoft Office and Google Chrome Browser settings populated right on in when summoned.. The Aspire feels a little less "subtantial" (heft) and less ooh! aah! inpiring/glam but the price is a lot less - so you need to decide what's more important to you. The Aspire's keyboard is a little tighter [edit 10/7/15: it loosens up over time] than SP's - so one must remember to consciously push one's fingers down instead of just assuming that all the letters and stuff are registering.
After the initial frustration, I am now very happy with this purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2015 5:37 PM PDT

KLD Brand Enland Snap-on Thin Side Flip Leather Cover Slim Case for LG Google Nexus 5 (Pink)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit and functionality., December 23, 2013
I'm loving my GN5 phone, but I'm not reviewing the phone - for that see D.L.C.'s 11/20/2013 review here Google Nexus 5 Unlocked GSM Phone, 32Gb (Black) But the case recommended there did not fit my needs - it left the front glass of the phone, which is too big to fit in previously designed purse pockets, unprotected and had rubberized indents over the phone's nice ceramic buttons. This Enlund has a supple leather feel, no slip grip in your hand, and encases the back and sides of the phone snug as the proverbial bug in a rug, yet has cut-outs for accessing the buttons. The flipover front on the case nicely covers and protects the screen when not in use (and also automatically sleeps or wakes the phone.)
I highly recommend the phone and this case for it.

Secrets of the Congdon Mansion
Secrets of the Congdon Mansion
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for what it is, August 8, 2013
I live near Brainerd, and we were inundated with coverage of Roger's trial. I had always wanted to visit "the Scene of the Crime" (the jury did,) but never got around to scratching it off my Bucket List until yesterday. And what Joe says is true: if you don't know what you're looking for, you won't be any the wiser after the tour. The collegiate (the mansion & grounds were willed to the University of Minnesota, Duluth) tour guides follow their orders to eradicate any mention of foul play. (The nice retired lady selling tour tickets did confirm that my particular tour would include the Billiard Room and Elizabeth's bedroom - and the tour guide did confirm - when I asked - that the bedroom we were in that her canned script consistently refers to as Helen's was Elizabeth's later on in her life.) If you familiarize yourself with this book's murder maps before the tour - so you know what to ask - all will be illuminated :-)
Author Joe Kimball was the first Star/Tribune reporter on the scene back on the morning after the murders, and he stayed with it. He shares personal updates and anecdotes of all the characters involved. BUT this is NOT a be-all/end-all exposition of the case/trials/aftermath. For that, you should first read the also excellent for what it is Will to Murder: The True Story Behind the Crimes and Trials Surrounding the Glensheen Killings

A Serpent's Tooth: A Walt Longmire Mystery
A Serpent's Tooth: A Walt Longmire Mystery
by Craig Johnson
Price: $19.09
158 used & new from $0.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Meandering Mashup, June 12, 2013
I love the TV series and the books from which it sprang. The TV show is more politically and factually correct re Native people and culture, but the sometimes cringe-inducing books may be more accurate in reflecting the current, still sad, state of Anglo attitudes towards them.

This 9th book in the series

1. The Cold Dish: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
2. Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery
3. Kindness Goes Unpunished: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries) (Philadelphia Road Trip
- kinda like the Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Dorothy Lamour road movies only different ;-)
4. Another Man's Moccasins: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
5. The Dark Horse: A Walt Longmire Mystery
6. Junkyard Dogs: A Walt Longmire Mystery
7. Hell Is Empty: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
8. As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery
9. A Serpent's Tooth: A Walt Longmire Mystery

takes a decided veer from Longmire's nuevo Louis L'amour/Zane Grey/Larry McMurtry venue into Clive Cussler country - and I am not a fan of Cussler <- whose audiobooks I was forced to listen to on long roadtrips until I divorced that idiot. I hope the next book stays home on the range.

Tanka Bar,natural Buffalo Cranberry Bar, 1-Ounce Bar (Pack of 12 bars)
Tanka Bar,natural Buffalo Cranberry Bar, 1-Ounce Bar (Pack of 12 bars)
Price: $28.62
28 used & new from $28.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Good for you and the Rez., May 31, 2013
I love these Pine Ridge Reservation-made natural buffalo cranberry bars from Native American Natural Foods. The bars come out of their wrapper a little wet and greasy (maybe because there are no preservatives - which is also a good thing) so I unwrap them and just let them sit out a bit.
M-m Good and good for you!
And with our support, they'll keep going, creating new buffalo products to strengthen the Reservation community: one Tanka Bar at a time.

The Boy from Reactor 4 (The Nadia Tesla Series Book 1)
The Boy from Reactor 4 (The Nadia Tesla Series Book 1)
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dybosia/Budmo!, April 12, 2013
I liked it!
Having just read Andrew Blackwell's excellently irreverent non-fiction "tour guide" Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places, I found Orest Stelmach's story of crime, punishment, intrigue, and the origins and rescue of a hockey phenom up-all-night captivating.
Mr. Stelmach, like his unwitting heroine, is the child of Ukrainian immigrants, which infuses credibility and color to the tale. I look forward to more of his work.

Bitch on Wheels: The True Story of Black Widow Killer Sharon Nelson
Bitch on Wheels: The True Story of Black Widow Killer Sharon Nelson
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pictures please., April 4, 2013
Gregg Olsen is also the author of one of favorite True Crime books ever: Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest.
This one is not quite as good as that, but still a fascinating read.
BOW appears to be a reissue for Kindle of "The Confessions of an American Black Widow" with a new Prologue by Olsen's buddy and fellow True Crime writer M. William Phelps. The re-issue also includes the ending "Acknowledgements and Notes" from the 1997 paper edition, in which Olsen says: While many of the sources in the book were extremely helpful in reconstructing the Nelson saga, it would be remiss to omit special thanks to Blanche Wheeler, Andy Harrelson, Judy Douglas and Julie Nelson for the photographs from their personal collections. Many of their images appear in the photo insert." Not. It is also remiss for Amazon to continue to omit the photos in Kindle editions of True Crime books. I get 2 newspapers a day, and many monthly magazines on my Kindle Fire - with photographs included - so I know that there is the capability to do this! Or, at least, set up a website containing the ommitted photos to accompany the Kindle edition, like was done for this excellent book: Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places (Sorry, our host will not allow me to post the direct link - visitsunnychernobyl dot com)
The non-accessibility of the photos is especially irksome in this instance, where the only image I have located on the web of the titular B* appears to be a prison shot in a more recent time, which leaves me wondering why the author and his sources keep bragging on how captivatingly beautiful she was. Nor can I readily locate images of other players in this case: her multiple husbands, children, or Gary Starr Adams.

Kiss of the She-Devil
Kiss of the She-Devil
by M. William Phelps
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
65 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Show me., March 11, 2013
As other reviewers have already commented, this is not Mr. Phelps' best. It is overlong for being short on detail - especially those details which would come in the second portion of a TV "Law & Order" episode.
What continues to irk me about True Crime books on Kindle is that the publishers who render them onto Kindle frequently do not include the photos. This was especially true in this instance, where the only image I have located on the web of the titular She-Devil is her booking MugShot in which she looks worse than something one's cat drug in - leading to my further befuddlement as to why George ever kissed etc. her to begin with, which started this whole sad sordid tale. Nor can I readily locate images of other players in this case.
I suggest you look elsewhere, to one of Phelp's better books, or try one from my True Crime 101" List:
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2013 3:48 AM PDT