Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Jean Nava > Reviews

Browse

Jean Nava's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jean Nava RSS Feed

Unashamed: Rahab (The Lineage of Grace Series #2)
Unashamed: Rahab (The Lineage of Grace Series #2)
by Francine Rivers
Price: $9.88
271 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Great authors sometimes fail., March 22, 2001
About three weeks ago one of my own readers recommended Francine Rivers to me, and the first book I happened to pick up was The Sin-Eater. I felt like Keats when he first read Homer, "upon a peak in Darien." The last time I was this excited over a writer was when I discovered C.S. Lewis almost forty years ago. We don't have to wait any longer for the "great American novel;" Mrs. Rivers has written it, and it is titled The Sin-Eater.
Next I read the Mark of the Lion series, and they were as good. Redeeming Love was not quite perfect, but almost. The first book of her new series, Unveiled, is also outstanding. These books are in a class by themselves; in comparison, everything else out there in the Christian fiction category is mere fluff. But (like other great writers,) she can be uneven. The Shoe-Box was nothing like her other books. It is something like a MacDonald fairy tale, but even MacDonald doesn't succeed all the time.
I was really disappointed in Unashamed. Unlike Tamar in Unveiled, Rahab failed to win my sympathy; she could have demonstrated great faith without bullying her family. Salmon was a very shallow character also. Many of the details were unrealistic, Rahab hanging on to the rope for instance. Even the miracles were handled badly, the tramping feet of the Israelites receiving partial credit for Jericho's fall. My major criticism is what was left out. What happened to Cabul? He just disappears from the story, and he is not the sort of man to quietly disappear. When he returns from his fruitless search there are two possibilities: either he is suspicious of Rahab and brings accusations against her which we can watch her try to squirm out of (my choice,) or else he is unsuspicious and tries to resume his relationship with her. Instead we are supposed to believe that Rahab's actions, including going out of business and the sequestering of her family, arouse no comment from her neighbors, her clientele, or the king with whom she is supposed to have such a close relationship.
The re-telling of a Bible story is supposed to answer this kind of questions. What happens between the sending off of the spies and the actual fall of Jericho? This is a very dangerous time for Rahab and should have been the heart of the story, but it is omitted completely. I've always wondered if that dangling red cord did not arouse anyone's curiosity. I guess not. The ending is rather abrupt also. We have no evidence that Rahab has any regard for Salmon. Will this be a happy marriage? There was no reason for him to be younger than she.
Mrs. Rivers, I wish I were your publisher. You are a truly great writer, and I love the spirit I sense in you. But I would have told you to shred this one and start over.

Let's Have Healthy Children (Signet)
Let's Have Healthy Children (Signet)
by Adelle Davis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
25 used & new from $4.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested and proven, March 28, 2000
When we learned we would be able to adopt a baby, I knew I couldn't breastfeed, so I began to study nutrition. I learned a lot, but as with any research, I learned that not everyone agreed. This was twenty-five years ago when doctors were still telling you that Vitamin E was totally unneccessary. After reading everything in our local library, I selected this book as the one that made the most sense. Following Adelle Davis' advice I raised a very healthy son and improved the health of the rest of the family as well. Now I'm looking for the book again because my daughter has misplaced her copy and is frantic to get it for my sixth grandchild--all raised on Adelle Davis, all remarkably healthy.

I Kissed Dating Goodbye : The Study Guide
I Kissed Dating Goodbye : The Study Guide
by Joshua Harris
61 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom for our day, October 7, 1999
Pushing sixty, I have "been there, done that" and how I wish I had been as wise as this young man! For most of us, it's "too soon alt, too late schmart." Read and heed. Dating is not necessary. It is not even advisable. You won't miss anything! You'll gain in the long run. We need to break out of our culture's mindset that the purpose of life is to have fun. Pursuing pleasure only drives it away. See C.S. Lewis. My only reservation about this book is whether the ones who need it most will buy into it. The negative comments above reinforce my impression, that Harris has the real goods, but will fail to convince many readers.

Life in a Medieval City (Medieval Life)
Life in a Medieval City (Medieval Life)
by Joseph Gies
201 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on subject., May 16, 1999
I have been researching the Middle Ages for a number of years and this is one of the most even -handed books I have come across. The authors are researchers par excellence, and have presented their findings in an imminently readable form. If I were not already a student of the Middle Ages, however, I might have found the wealth of detail somewhat overwhelming and some of the terms and references obscure. This is a book for people who really want to know.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 7:04 AM PST

Hungarian society in the 9th and 10th centuries (Studia historica Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae ; 85)
by Antal Bartha
Edition: Unknown Binding
2 used & new from $18.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read and little information., November 9, 1998
This book has only about eighty pages of actual text. It was written under Communist rule and reflects a Marxist view of history. Unfortunately for most scholars it was written for Hungarians who already have considerable knowledge of their own history and geography. The style is that of a dissertation rather than a history book. So much opposing evidence is presented with only the author's opinion to base judgement on. But the biggest problem is that the translator was not an English speaker. Long, circuitous (or as this writer would say, "circumstantial") sentences often end up with no grammatical sense. Lacking words he sometimes makes them up, e.g. "planful." I struggled all the way through and found two or three pieces of information pertinent to my research, but on the whole I was very disappointed.