Profile for James McGowan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James McGowan RSS Feed (Ridley Park, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Medialink Wireless-N USB Adapter (300 Mbps) - 802.11n, 2.4 ghz - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP

1.0 out of 5 stars Installation CD Also Silently Installs Unwanted Services and Software, July 25, 2014
I just uninstalled this adapter after a couple of sudden BSODs on my Windows 7x64 computer, due to some unwanted software installed with the driver.

While remodeling my office I moved a couple of my computers downstairs temporarily. Both have internal wireless adapters but only one worked well. My box was only getting two bars wirelessly, so I decided to get a USB adapter to use for a week during the remodel. After two crashes I found that they were caused by a service that wasn’t on my computer before installing the adapter's driver: The RaMediaServer service. I found that the MediaLink driver - which I installed with the setting "Install driver only" - had also installed new software along with four new services. RaMediaServer,exe, which appears to be some sort of remote media streaming service - which had made my Music Library available for streaming - somewhere. The installation CD did not offer any options with regard to installing additional software, nor did it even mention any other software. When I tried to uninstall the software it threw another BSOD, so I tried again using Revo Uninstaller Pro and it was finally removed successfully.

So I am back to using the internal wireless adapter for another day or two with minimal signal strength, but at least I am not running a secret media streaming service anymore.

Jim McGowan

Kikkerland Mini Briefcase Card Carrier (OR18-A)
Kikkerland Mini Briefcase Card Carrier (OR18-A)
Price: $8.42
18 used & new from $1.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Useless with Advertising Painted on it., July 10, 2014
I purchased this from an Amazon Marketplace seller - and I really need to stop buying from them. My little case came with advertisements painted on the top/front of the case. Makes the case completely useless for what I planned to do with it. I was planning to purchase about two dozen of them if the first one was decent. I got it at a low enough price that it isn't much of a loss, and it is way too little of a purchase to be bothered to return it. I think I will just purchase the rest elsewhere, as I don't want to take a chance with a larger purchase.

Definitely a letdown.

Carhartt Men's  Workwear Pocket Short Sleeve Henley
Carhartt Men's Workwear Pocket Short Sleeve Henley
Price: $16.99 - $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Carhartt Shirts No Longer 100% Cotton?, April 5, 2014
I have been wearing both Carhartt and Riggs pocket Henleys for years. Both were always 100% cotton and fit and felt fine. Just purchased a couple of these Carhartt Workwear Henley K84 shirts and saw that they are 99% cotton and 1% Nylon. Who'd notice that, right? Doggone! These shirts are now a bit clingy and stretch like Nylon. Tough to believe that just 1% Nylon can alter a shirt's feel this much. I don’t like this at all. Also I just noticed that these shirts say they are made in Mexico. That's also a first for Carhartt that I can remember. All in all, the shirts are OK, but nowhere near the quality that they once were. Think I'll try a few new Riggs Henleys - hopefully they haven't changed similarly.

Al Schneider on Coins
Al Schneider on Coins
by Al Schneider
Price: $13.50
4 used & new from $9.51

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books on Coin Magic Ever!, April 27, 2013
This review is from: Al Schneider on Coins (Paperback)
While I don't have this latest release, I do own a copy of the original printing from 1975. This is one of my most read magic books, and I have most of the coin magic books available. I also have most of the books written by Mr. Schneider but I find that I come back to his coin magic book more than any of them. The concepts he writes about are not all covered in other coin magic books. His views on magic theory in general are covered here and it was my first exposure to Mr. Schneider's revolutionary techniques. Any magician, from novice to expert, will benefit greatly from this book. Al Schneider has written many other books since this one, on topics from magic to quantum mechanics, but his discourse on coin magic is the one that serves well as an introduction to this magic legend's extraordinary knowledge of human perception and its relation to amazing and entertaining magic!

Vernet Thumb Tip - King Size
Vernet Thumb Tip - King Size
Offered by Rock Ridge Sales, Inc
Price: $5.95

2.0 out of 5 stars "King Size" Title is Misleading, August 16, 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Vernet Thumb Tip - King Size (Toy)
For some reason none of the thumb tips listed by Amazon or their Marketplace sellers indicate the size. Not everyone has the same size thumbs, as should be obvious. Size is important in a thumb tip, along with other attributes, depending on what effects you plan to perform with it. If storing a prop inside the TT up in front of your thumb then the length is critical. However for items that will rest alongside your thumb - bill, billet, etc. - the circumference and/or diameter is more critical. By ordering one named "King Size" I had hoped that the circumference was a bit larger than the standard TT. Not so with this item. It is considerably longer than a standard; looks like another finger grew on your hand. However it is the same circumference as the standard TT. By naming the product King-Size they indicate that it is somehow larger than normal, but they don't even hint at which dimension is larger.

I looked at several TTs on Amazon - all that I could find - and not one gives any dimensions. Very poor protocol in my opinion.

This product it fine if longer legnth is what you desire. However it is terrible if you're looking for a larger circumference.

Jim
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

Luminox Men's 3204 Navy SEAL Steel Dive Watch
Luminox Men's 3204 Navy SEAL Steel Dive Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Luminox Navy Seal Model 3204 - Fantastic Watch!, July 16, 2012
I purchased this watch just under five years ago and have worn it every day since. The watch just now needs a new battery, which is what has me looking around. The Luminox Navy Seal watch is by far the best watch I have owned, and I've owned more than a few watches in my time! It has always kept perfect time, is visible in all light conditions, and is as rugged as anything I could imagine. I swapped the (quite beautiful) metal band for a Seal Leather & Velcro band about three years ago.

I'm not sure how easily I can get the battery replaced but I sure hope I can; I really don't want to even think about a new watch. This one will probably outlast me!

Jim

Motorola SKN5004A ECOMOTO Micro USB Data Cable for MOTOROLA DROID A855 Motorola Cliq Karma QA1 Rival A455 Hint QA30 ZINE ZN5 ZN4 Krave E8 ROKR V9m RAZR2 and other Motorola micro USB devices
Offered by Cellpro
Price: $3.99
27 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly As Titled..., April 9, 2012
This cable is labeled as a "Motorola SKN5004A ECOMOTO Micro USB Data Cable..." with a number of different phone models listed after that. However the cable I received is tagged as "Made in China" and shows a different SKN number: SKN6238A. I haven't tried the cable yet so I am giving it three stars for now because of the misleading product title. Hopefully it will work OK, and most reviews indicate that it has done so, at least for a while though some claim it has stopped working due to shorts in the cable - not sure exactly how they discovered the shorts or if that is just a guess.

Basically I would prefer that sellers show the correct model numbers in the product title to help us make informed buying choices.

Thank you.

Ben Sherman Men's Signature Blazer
Ben Sherman Men's Signature Blazer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Sizing or Mismarked, June 4, 2011
I ordered this blazer along with another brand sport jacket on the same day, both size XXL. They arrived one day apart: the first to arrive was the Luxury Lane Suede jacket, also size XXL, and it fit just about perfectly. The next day this blazer by Ben Sherman arrived. I got one sleeve on and found I couldn't even get my hand into the other sleeve! It felt like I was trying to put on a child's jacket. I double-checked the paperwork and the tags on the blazer: all agreed this was size XXL. Since the other jacket fit so well I hung the two up on hangers in a doorway, side by side and compared them. This blazer was a full 5" (five inches) shorter than the suede sport jacket, measured from the top of the collar down to the bottom of the hem in the back. Across the shoulders, measuring from shoulder seam to seam, this blazer was an unbelievable 6" (SIX INCHES) shorter. Oddly though the sleeves were the exact same length!

Both jackets were made in China. I would guess that the size of this Ben Sherman blazer was simply mismarked but for the fact that the sleeves were the same length. I have to conclude that this blazer was just very poorly made. I returned it the same day I received it.

Thank you.

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2011 7:34 AM PST

LD Canon PGI220 & CLI221 Compatible Set of 12 Ink Cartridges: 4 Pigment Black PGI220, 2 each of CLI221 B/C/M/Y
Offered by LD Products
Price: $26.99
3 used & new from $24.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement Ink Cartridges for Canon All-In-Ones!, April 8, 2011
I have purchased these cartridges a few times now and I couldn't be more pleased. I was previously using a Canon MP830 All-In-One and while Canon's own ink prices weren't great they were at least acceptable. I finally had to replace that baby and purchased the closest to a replacement I could find, the MX860. However the ink cartridges were close to twice the price of those for the MP830, and worse the cartridges contain only about half the ink! (7 ml vs 13 ml). So I decided for the first time to try some non-Canon ink cartridges in the MX860. These cartridges have worked perfectly in my MX860 and the quality is equal to Canon inks IMO. Only difference is that this company apparently doesn't need to overcharge and make a killing on the ink as Canon does.

So far none of these cartridges have failed to work and fully empty as I use them as some other reviewers have mentioned. I know that in my older Canon MP830 I had several instances of Canon cartridges insisting that they were empty when they were brand new. Canon Support said that this occasionally happens and that there is nothing they can do to help. Nice. So if any of these cartridges do fail on me at some point I won't exactly feel cheated since I have had that kind of treatment from Canon.

All in all it is well worth the price! Can't hurt to give it a try; I have never found anyone whose printer was damaged by one of these cartridges.

Jim

LD © Canon PGI220 & CLI221 Compatible Set of 12 Ink Cartridges: 4 Pigment Black PGI220, 2 each of CLI221 B/C/M/Y

Flip UltraHD Video Camera - White, 4 GB, 1 Hour
Flip UltraHD Video Camera - White, 4 GB, 1 Hour
Offered by Just Guy Stuff
Price: $199.99
38 used & new from $34.78

1.0 out of 5 stars First One was DOA; Now the Second Died After 1 Month, February 17, 2011
The Flip UltraHD has not performed as well as the older Flip Ultra. I purchased the non-HD model last year and though I use it sparingly it has performed OK. The Flip UltraHD has been a whole different animal. I purchased the 4GB UltraHD for a daughter for Christmas and it was unusable out of the box. My daughter told me she could not get it set up so I had her bring it over to my house. I tried several times but it would automatically start at the setup screen. I tried inputting the language but it wouldn't take any input. Finally I was forced to abandon the setup but then all I could do was use the rear LCD as a view finder. It would not record at all. So I returned that one to Amazon and exchanged it for another of the same model. The second one set up easily and worked just fine - for exactly 32 days. Then it just stopped doing anything. Powers up OK but will no longer record nor play. Nothing. It is fully charged, everything indicates that it should work fine - but nothing happens with any button pushes.

I am not certain what I can do with this POS now. It is just past the 30 day limit for another return to Amazon, and I have read scores of horror stories about using Flip's support options. From what I read the email support people try to be very helpful and seem pleasant enough, but their only solution is to reflash the firmware. And that is unsuccessful for most users based on articles all over the web. The telephone support is reminiscent of Dell-H&11, if anyone ever had the displeasure to deal with them. Flip doesn't appear to ever replace any of their cameras, claiming that the problems must be users' computers or other wild imaginations. If I cannot get any resolution then I guess I will just toss this POS and shop around for a real video cam. And I'll be sure to tell the story on whatever blogs I can.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2011 9:14 PM PST