Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Karen Joan > Reviews

Browse

Karen Joan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 805

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Karen Joan "Siren" RSS Feed (Texas)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Just Grace and the Super Sleepover (The Just Grace Series)
Just Grace and the Super Sleepover (The Just Grace Series)
by Charise Mericle Harper
Price: $15.70
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner, January 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
JUST GRACE AND THE SUPER SLEEPOVER is an excellent addition to the Just Grace series. I really can't say anything bad about this series. My wee one has been reading these since the beginning of 1st grade and still loves them now that she is 1/2 way through 3rd grade. She started reading this series on a recommendation from her wonderful school librarian. My little one was a very early, precocious reader, and Just Grace was challenging enough while still containing age-appropriate material. Now, my daughter reads these books just for fun...and fun she certainly has!

JUST GRACE AND THE SUPER SLEEPOVER is written with the same formula as the rest of the Just Grace series: Grace has a problem or a fear to conquer, and she does, with light-hearted fun, mischief, humor, and great charm. There is a moral lesson to the story, imparted with gentleness and aplomb. In JUST GRACE AND THE SUPER SLEEPOVER, Grace is invited to her first slumber party. Not only is it her first slumber party, but it is a backyard camp out. Even though Grace tells everyone how excited she is for the slumber party, she is secretly afraid and ends up spinning a web of lies. But, with the help of her family and good friends, Grace overcomes her fears and learns the importance of telling truth.

The Just Grace books are written in an almost stream-of-consciousness style. When my daughter reads them out loud to me, they sound exactly like what is going on inside her head. I can picture her thinking the same thinks that Grace does, word for word. Charise Mericle Harper definitely gets the rhythm and tone of an elementary school girl just right.

My daughter and I will continue to read the delightful Just Grace series for as long as she enjoys them. JUST GRACE AND THE SUPER SLEEPOVER is MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 1:12 PM PST

WORKSHOP WS1625AM Air Mover Fan & Carpet Dryer, High Velocity Blower Fan / Floor Dryer with Collapsible Handle & Wheels
Offered by AlbanyToolCo.
Price: $215.00
5 used & new from $215.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter Was Blown Away!, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The WORKSHOP WET/DRY VACS WS1625AM AIR MOVER WITH HANDLE AND WHEELS is a lightweight, highly maneuverable, easy-to-use shop blower that even my 8-year-old can operate. I first tested it by having her move it around the house. No problems. She was able to extend the handle, wheel the unit around, and stow the handle, all without my guidance. She was then able to unwind the long power cord and plug it in. All that was left was for her to figure out the 3-position switch, which she did with ease. But then the fun began.

My daughter is a ham. There’s no other way to say it. Add that to being very creative, and you’ve got a dangerous combo. In this case, it was very entertaining! I wanted to test the strength of the blower at it’s different settings. All of them are impressively powerful, but my daughter decided to place objects in front of the unit, to see what could withstand it’s awesome recreation of nature’s fury. (Spoiler: not much!) Her pillow was like a marshmallow before it. Her American Girl dolls, were blown under the couch. Even the cat fled … okay, the cat doesn’t count, but he *was* part of her test bed.

But then a new use for all that wind came overcame her. She laid down on the floor, facing the blower and had me turn it on. Even on LOW, it was a wind-tunnel, but she laid there, striking a pose, with her hair being blown behind her like the old classic Memorex commercial. “TAKE A PICTURE OF ME, MOMMY!” she yelled over the howl of the category 3 onslaught. So I did. But she wanted it to go to 11 – or in this case, 3. She loved it but I couldn’t stop laughing. She was not quite light enough to be pushed backwards, but the blower tried!

Suffice to say, this is a hearty device that I wish I’d had when I overflowed the tub and we had to pay $4,000 to have professionals come in to dry everything out. I mean the tub? What was I thinking? That’s a Disney vacation or 1/3 of my property taxes! I should be flogged. Seriously. I’m super cereal. But I digress…

I’ll be glad this summer to have this baby around when I’m working in the garage. I recommend it highly.

OXO Good Grips Angled Measuring Bucket
OXO Good Grips Angled Measuring Bucket
Price: $14.99
12 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Bucket..., December 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
...A nice bucket, but still a bucket. The OXO ANGLED MEASURING BUCKET is a 4-gallon bucket that is very sturdy and well made. It has a unique oval shape making it both roomy and easy to store, it has handy pour spouts at both ends, there is a soft, comfortable handle, and there is a hook on the handle to hold a mop. The best feature of the OXO ANGLED MEASURING BUCKET is the measuring feature that allows all kind of measurements (gallon, quarts, etc.) so that you can measure detergent or water or whatever from the inside and see the measurement from the top. No more guessing from the outside as you lie on the floor! Winning!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 12:50 PM PST

Francois et Mimi DCP0008 8-Cup Metal Rotating Ferris Wheel Cupcake and Dessert Stand Holder, Chrome Finish, Updated Larger Cup Size
Offered by Party Spin
Price: $25.35
2 used & new from $25.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted!, December 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been searching for a "Ferris wheel" cupcake stand for several years now. My extremely clever and creative neighbor uses one to display her fancy, "forever" Easter eggs every year, and I have been wanting one of my very own. As you might guess, I leapt at the chance to own this FRANCOIS ET MIMI ROTATING FERRIS WHEEL CUPCAKE STAND.

The FRANCOIS ET MIMI ROTATING FERRIS WHEEL CUPCAKE STAND is beautifully made out of iron with a lovely, shiny chrome finish. It holds 8 cupcakes (or Easter eggs, or miniature flower pots, or whatever you can think of...), creating an elagant center piece. Fully loaded, the cupcake stand is sturdy, ellegant, and rotates smoothly. My children just love it and think I am a real star for aquiring it! Overall, the FRANCOIS ET MIMI ROTATING FERRIS WHEEL CUPCAKE STAND is a fun, unique way to display pretty much whatever you want.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2014 2:08 PM PST

Belkin MultiTasker Pro Cover / Case for iPad Air (Blacktop)
Belkin MultiTasker Pro Cover / Case for iPad Air (Blacktop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Case!, December 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The BELKIN MULTI TASKER PRO CASE for iPad Air is an attractive, real leather case that is sturdy and well made. This is a very sleek, professional looking case that provides excellent protection for my new iPad Air. It is easy to use and quite compact, not bulky. The adjustable stand works well; however a swivel would be a really nice addition. I would also like additional color choices to the current three. Overall, the BELKIN MULTI TASKER PRO CASE is just what I needed for business travel and professional meetings.

The Last Dead Girl
The Last Dead Girl
by Harry Dolan
53 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars He's Done It Again!, December 19, 2013
This review is from: The Last Dead Girl (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been a huge fan of author Harry Dolan and his protagonist David Loogan ever since Mr. Dolan wrote Bad Things Happen. I enjoyed Very Bad Men just as much, and I could not wait to dive into his latest novel THE LAST DEAD GIRL. THE LAST DEAD GIRL is prequel to the first two David Loogan books, and as always, Mr. Dolan's detailed plots and realistic characters immersed me deeply into the story. I stayed up late into the night, turning the pages as fast as possible! His plotting is tight, complex, and thrilling and the pacing is spot on. Mr. Dolan's characters are very accessible, and his descriptions are dark and atmospheric. There is a delightful old noir feel to Mr. Dolan's stories, which is something that I really enjoy. I give THE LAST DEAD GIRL my highest recommendation.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 1:13 PM PST

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two
The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two
by Catherynne M. Valente
Price: $15.19
69 used & new from $1.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., December 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I should have loved everything about THE GIRL WHO SOARED OVER FAIRYLAND AND CUT THE MOON IN TWO. It sounded right up my alley. I love fantasy, especially that which is quirky and off beat. But could not get into THE GIRL WHO SOARED OVER FAIRYLAND AND CUT THE MOON IN TWO at all. The writing is heavy, extremely flowery, and ponderous. It slows the story down to a crawl. I kept picking the book, reading a paragraph or two, then putting it back down. I just could not get into the story. And I really, really wanted to.

Maybe if I had read other books by Ms. Valente, it would have made a difference. But I don't think so. A book should be able to stand on its own.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 1:08 PM PST

Eat, Brains, Love
Eat, Brains, Love
by Jeff Hart
Price: $7.35
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!!, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Eat, Brains, Love (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found EAT BRAINS LOVE to be a fun, fabulous piece of brain candy - a great mental vacation from the rest of the world. EAT BRAINS LOVE won't change your life, but it will make you grin broadly and laugh out loud. Irreverent, corny, and oddly romantic, EAT BRAINS LOVE is definitely worth a read.

EAT BRAINS LOVE is a YA novel which begins in (you guessed it) a high school. Jake, your average, random, teenage boy wakes up feeling sick and weirdly hungry at the same time. The next thing he knows, he has eaten his best friend (and 1/2 senior class) and is on the run with Amanda, the super popular hot chick that every high school has. It seems that there is a virus on the loose, and it is turning people into zombies. Now they are running from certain death at the hands of the government, learning how to control their "zombification," and trying figure out what is happening to them and the world. There are rumors of a zombie sanctuary in Iowa. But can they get there safely and without eating too many people?

EAT BRAINS LOVE is a quick, light-hearted, easy-breezy read just perfect for a vacation or the beach. The pacing is quick, the action is constant, and the romance is oddly appealing. The ending is a cliff-hanger, but that just makes me eager for more. I read the book cover to cover in about a day. It was exactly what I needed to brighten my spirits. EAT BRAINS LOVE is funny, quirky, and definitely unique. I loved Warm Bodies, and EAT BRAINS LOVE definitely has the same appeal. I can't wait for the next installment.

TYLT Band - Red - Flat Silicone Dual-charging Apple/USB Car Charger
TYLT Band - Red - Flat Silicone Dual-charging Apple/USB Car Charger
Offered by Amazing Wireless Accessories
Price: $5.99
9 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cable!, December 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love my red TYLT BAND FLAT DUAL CAR APPLE/USB CAR CHARGER. First of all it is RED, which means it is identifiable a MINE and NOT one of the kids. Otherwise, all my charging cables "mysteriously" disappear. Second, I love that it is wide and flat. It comes right out of the glove box (does anyone actually use the glove box for gloves anymore?) straight, untangled, and ready to use - no attempting to untie knots while driving. Also, it is easy to find by touch, so you are never taking your eyes off the road. Next, it will charge either an ipad (we always need more charging capability on long trips!) by itself, or two smaller devices (iPhone, blackberries, etc) at the same time. That is a really, really nice feature.

The only note that I would point out here is that the built in ipad connector is the old style. If you have an ipad mini or an iPhone gen 5, you will need to provide the correct cable and plug it into the USB port. But that would not stop me from buying more TYLT BAND FLAT DUAL CAR APPLE/USB CAR CHARGERs. I find this cable really convenient and easy to use on long trips, and it is definitely well made, sturdy, and reliable.

WD My Passport Slim 1TB Portable Metal External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto Backup
Offered by PS Traders
Price: $90.00
12 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy But Odd, December 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yes, I said sexy. It’s also sleek and strangely enough, exciting. The WD MY PASSPORT has 1TB of storage with a USB 3.0 interface that is only about ¼ of an inch deep and easily fits in your pocket. The odd part is the transfer speed. I plugged it in to my husband’s Windows 8.1 desktop machine where it was recognized immediately. It comes with a bunch of stuff on it from Western Digital, but I shouldn’t need any of it to transfers files. So I dragged 600GB of files from his machine to the Passport. That’s 828 files, the majority of which were over 1GB. The transfer started off with a bang, once hitting 90 MB/s but over the course of 2 1.5GB files, averaging between 60-70 MB/s. But after those 2 files went over, the bang turned to a whimper, dropping to an astonishing 1 MB/s. Okaaaay. I waited. It was now transferring consistently under 10 MB/s. Finally, I stopped it. My husband checked his drivers, the connections, etc. All were current but Windows had discovered a new Western Digital driver available through the Windows Update, so he installed it, and I tried again.

This time, I tried a 100GB transfer. This time, the performance was much more reasonable, but still uneven. For long stretches, the transfer speed ranged from 60-70 MB/s. Then it would drop to 40-50 MB/s. For one small stretch it was between 90 and 100 MB/s. Throughout, the source drive was not being used for anything else. I wasn’t looking at pictures of cats who can’t spell or updating my Facebook page. Nada. So I don’t understand the inconsistency, especially since all of the files in the second batch were over 1GB. And I don’t understand why a new driver was required, but it seems to have made a big difference.

After the transfer was complete, the unit was warm to the touch, but barely. Throughout, the unit was silent, or at least didn’t add to the ambient noise.

I’d like to understand why the transfer speeds are not consistently in the 100MB/s range (or consistently within any range!) but I still plan to use this drive when I travel. Large capacity, small footprint, low weight, fast transfer. Martha says, “It’s a good thing.”
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2013 8:16 AM PST