Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Learn more
Profile for Shannon > Reviews

Browse

Shannon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shannon "Big Bond Fan" RSS Feed (Canton, Gabon)

Page: 1 | 2
LinkedIn Insider Secrets to your Job Search
LinkedIn Insider Secrets to your Job Search
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Marketing Gimmick: Author Loses Credibility When He Won't Accept Your LinkedIn Request!, July 19, 2013
Recently picked up this Kindle book to help jumpstart and overhaul my LinkedIn profile and attempt to gain the advantage on job hunting. The book did actually have a few useful suggestions that included finding a "superuser" within your network and if you had less than 500 connections, then you are not considered a LinkedIn "superuser". The author also did discuss recruiters searching by keywords throughout LinkedIn and that he personally trains recruiters to use LinkedIn. However, what was very off-putting was that throughout the whole book, the author constantly points the reader to his website for additional services and offers to do the heavy lifting on overhauling your LinkedIn profile.

The 2 glaring points where the author lost all credibility and respect were: 1) The author provides a link for special discount offers for Amazon Kindle readers for his services and 2) The first thing the author encourages you to do is send him a LinkedIn invitation, so that he can accept it and that you can have access to thousands of resources within his superuser network. So, when I attempted to follow the discount link for Kindle readers, it comes up as a broken link with no explanation on his website or any additional discount offers on his website. I think the most offensive thing about this book is that the author constantly reminds you to send him a LinkedIn connect request, which I did - OVER 2 weeks ago and he still has not accepted it!!! Where I knew this was a marketing gimmick instead of a useful book is when I went to his website and signed up for some free video on promoting yourself on LinkedIn and you had to put in your email address to see the free video. When I checked my email right after viewing the video, I had THREE emails from this author's website trying to sell me on purchasing their LinkedIn promotion services! If you really want help on promoting your LinkedIn profile, I would encourage you to find a legitimate outfit out there that will provide you with what you need for LinkedIn promotion, instead of this self-promoting trash this guy is trying to push off on the public.

Bond 50: The Complete 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray]
Bond 50: The Complete 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Sean Connery
Offered by Hyper Tech (NO TAX Anywhere)
Price: $169.00
43 used & new from $89.96

5.0 out of 5 stars I Had My Suspicions, Mr. Bond....., September 4, 2012
Well, we are back on the "better, better, and best" technology merry-go-round with this latest deluxe release of all 22 official Bond films. (And yes, as much as I like "Never Say Never Again", it's not an official-sanctioned and produced Bond release. I remember when this film came out in 1983 and I recall seeing interviews that some dude named Kevin McClory was upset that he was not cashing in on the 007 franchise and that he was a co-writer with Ian Fleming for "Thunderball". So, some court granted him the rights to remake "Thunderball" under the clever guise of "Never Say Never Again" and of course, the big magnet to get butts in the movie theater seats was to bring back Sean Connery as Bond. And of course, that star status trick worked, as I recall that the theater was packed!)

But, I digress....a few years ago, I purchased the 4 Bond DVD box sets in a Christmas fire sale at Best Buy and I thought to myself, "Cool! I have all of the Bond movies on DVD - now I can get rid of my scratchy, old VHS tapes!" I watched all of the DVDs (in 007 release order, of course!) and I enjoyed all of the extra commentary and cast interviews and I thought that it would never get better than this.

Then, a couple of years ago, came the arrival of Blu-Ray technology and I thought that I was not going to give in and purchase any DVDS on Blu-Ray, especially since the Blu-Ray players at that time were ridiculously expensive. Then, I saw MGM/UA started releasing "Dr. No", "From Russia With Love", and "Goldfinger" on Blu-Ray and I almost gave in and purchased "Goldfinger". But, then I started getting suspicious about the intent of MGM/UA's release tactics. I was going to hold out to see if they released anymore of the films and they rolled out "Thunderball", "On Her Majesty's Secret Secret Service", "Live And Let Die" and a few others from the Bond franchise. BUT, when MGM/UA did not release "For Your Eyes Only", "Octopussy", and "A View To A Kill" from Roger Moore's Bond heyday, then I became especially suspicious and I started putting it all together that 2012 would be the 50th anniversary of Bond films when "Dr.No" was released in 1962, so I held out to see if anything major would be released from the studios and I'm delighted that I did!

I did have the opportunity to see "Goldfinger" in Blu-Ray from a friend of mine who regrettably purchased the multi-film packs and I will have to admit that the visual and audible effects were stunning! Watching Goldfinger's all-out assault on Fort Knox was a tremendously enjoyable viewing experience and it was like I had never watched this film before! Make no mistake about it - I didn't want to plop down $184 for these films, but it's like $8 a Bond film in Blu-Ray no less! I pre-ordered my Bond set last week from Amazon and I don't regret the purchase one bit. September 25th could not come soon enough for me and I'll admit that I never purchased any Daniel Craig's Bond DVDs, although I did see the two films in the theater. (To the fans who are wondering why there is only one empty slot in the forthcoming Blu-Ray set, it's simple: If "Skyfall" does not have an awesome box office take and goes the way of "Quantum of Solace" a very low-grossing Bond film, then there may not be anymore James Bond movies!) These films not only have to continue being edgy and impactful, but they have to profitable in order to get any further studio endorsements and budgets.

One last thing to consider in this purchase.....I did purchase this set from Amazon and I'm excited to watch the films in Blu-Ray, but if MGM/UA tries to get cute about it a year or two from now and try to call it something like, "Never-Before-Seen, "Super-De-Duper", "Extremely Deep Blu-Ray" Bond films, then I'm afraid, I'll have to cut Mr. Bond's tightrope from a helicopter and let him fall back to Earth because this is one Bond fan who is tired of the movie studio's extortion plots and capers to get more money from us devoted 007 fans! Enjoy the Blu-Ray box set!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 8:57 AM PDT

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray]
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Boris Karloff
Offered by RayDes
Price: $77.00
46 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A "No-Brainer" to Pre-Order!, September 3, 2012
I have read some of these fan reviews and I can empathize that most people are down on Universal Studios about their ever-evolving corporate greed to hook fans on better technological standards of their massive film catalogue. However, a few years ago, when Universal released the Legacy Monster Collections, I was excited at that time about the films and I purchased the Frankenstein series. I had not watched these movies since I was a kid in the 1970s and I was very pleased with "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein", but less than thrilled with "Son of Frankenstein", "The Ghost of Frankenstein", and "The House of Frankenstein". It became clearly evident that Universal began selling out the Monster with "Son of...." and exploiting the talent of Bela Lugosi by putting a hump on his back, giving him a flute, and calling him Igor. The plot lines became very uneven and with "Son", "Ghost", and "House" and it was clear Universal was extorting money from the Universal Monster fans from the 1940s when these films were released. Alas, I was so disappointed in those three sequels that I decided to let Dracula and the Wolf Man sets remain in their respective graves and I did not purchase anymore Legacy collections.

Thankfully, I saw that these classic films were being released on Blu-Ray and I jumped at the chance to pre-order these films....why? For one thing, I have seen a couple of black-and-white films on Blu-Ray technology and the viewing experince was very impactful and I really enjoyed the experience much more than regular DVD technology. (I cannot honestly comment on these particular films on Blu-Ray because they are not available to the general public until October 2nd, but I'm sure that the visual restoration will be extremely impactful and elegant). Secondly, I saw that there was not a stinker in the bunch. I mean, c'mon, "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "The Bride of Frankenstein", "The Mummy", "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", "The Wolf Man", "The Phantom of the Opera", my personal favorite the inimitable Claude Rains in the masterpiece, "The Invisible Man" - ALL classic monsterpieces! (I would have preferred Lon Chaney's "Phantom", but maybe the silent version could not be restored for Blu-Ray). With the exceptions of "The Werewolf of London" and "The Mummy's Curse", the rest of the sequels were stinkers in my opinion. I read one Amazon review that when Universal Studios realizes that fans will probably purchase a secondary Blu-Ray set of Universal Monsters, then this will be the respective place for some of the sequels.

Make no mistake about it - these classic 8 movies are what all subsequent horror films (including Hammer Horror Studios) measured the standard upon for producing and creating great horror films. Yeah, sure, it's $111, but I would gladly plop down my hard-earned money for these 8 classic films in a boxed set with no stinkeroo sequels on it (Yes, I know "Bride" is a sequel, but it clearly stands on its' own merit). I hope there is much additional materials on the films like behind-the-scenes stuff or interviews, but I can hardly wait until October 2nd to come around for all of us Universal Monsters fans!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 8:25 PM PDT

Big Thing
Big Thing
9 used & new from $24.56

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hang It On A Big Thing!", October 14, 2010
This review is from: Big Thing (Audio CD)
The 2010 digital release of the 1988 release of "Big Thing" is phenomenal and ranks right up there with the "Rio" re-release. I never was that crazy about the original title track, but the 12" remix of "Big Thing" (never publicly released until now) is full of intense beats and plenty of Nick Rhodes' inimitable keyboard hooks. The "Big Thing" remix simply rocked the whole album and was a great lead-in to the big hit of "I Don't Want Your Love". The soulful ballads of "Too Late Marlene", "Do You Believe In Shame?", and "Palomino" simply sound so revitalized under the the digital production. My least favorite track of "The Edge of America" even sounded better than the original. For the plus sides of the album, you cannot go wrong with the "Big Thing" (12" version), the Big Mix of "I Don't Want Your Love", and of course, the multitude of mixes of "All She Wants Is" will get your house rockin'! Excellent edition in the DD series of digital re-releases! Enjoy!

As The Lights Go Down
As The Lights Go Down
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars An "Arena" Rehash, but still sounds great!, May 22, 2010
This review is from: As The Lights Go Down (MP3 Music)
Okay, I'll start off by saying that I should have known better before purchasing because I was trying to determine if this album was going to be any different from the 1984 live album, "Arena". At first, I was thinking it may be different because the first track is a blend of "Tiger Tiger" and "Is There Something I Should Know?", two of my favorite DD songs. The audio preview from Amazon only plays a few seconds of each track, so it was difficult to tell how the blend of these 2 songs was going to sound.

Basically, "Tiger Tiger" is played for about 30 seconds before launching into "Is There Something I Should Know", which I'm assuming that the band is walking onto the stage because the audience is screaming during "Tiger Tiger". "Is There Something I Should Know" is played, but sounds just like it did on the "Arena" album . The band then plays "Hungry Like The Wolf" and there are some noticeable different drumbeats and some explosion type sound effects that make it different from the "Arena" album. However, "Union Of The Snake", "The Seventh Stranger", and "The Chauffeur" all sound just like the "Arena" versions. When "Arena" was originally released in 1984, "Rio" and "Girls On Film" were not included in the tracks. (These 2 tracks were added to an "Arena" re-issue a couple of years ago however).

All in all, the sound quality is great, but not fantastic, as I could hear some distortions during "Is There Something I Should Know?" and "The Chauffeur", but it's not noticeable enough to underwhelm the album. I just wish that there had been some live rarities included in this MP3 album, but not much different than the "Arena" album. When I saw Duran Duran on the "Arena" tour in 1984, the band performed live versions of "Of Crime And Passion", "New Moon On Monday", and "I Take The Dice" and as I recall those songs sounded fantastic in concert and would have been tremendous contributions to this MP3 album! Overall, not a bad release, but only a true DD fan would purchase this to help echo what the "Arena" album already delivers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 10:31 PM PST

BBC In Concert: Hammersmith Odeon 17th December 1981
BBC In Concert: Hammersmith Odeon 17th December 1981
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Duran Duran Performance Live Rocks!, May 22, 2010
If you an early fan of Duran Duran, you will really love this album! I had found it years and years ago on vinyl in a used records store and purchased it then, although it had some of the cracks and warbles that record vinyl tends to get overtime. I thought eventually that somebody would be putting this on CD, but I did not know it would take until 2010 to make it a downloadable MP3 album!

At any rate, the sound quality is excellent and the album is peppered with some of DD's early hits, B-Sides, and rarities, such as "Anyone Out There", "To The Shore", and the rarely ever performed live, "My Own Way". There is a bonus song on here that was not included on the original vinyl release and that is a live performance of the Night Version of "Planet Earth", which is excellent and really brings back those New Wave memories of the early-80s. The only minor setback of this live collection is the performance of "Faster Than Light". At the beginning of this song, Simon mentions that they have retooled the song for live performance and that fans may not easily recognize it, but eventually you will. "Faster Than Light" just doesn't sound like it does on the released version, but it still rocks along at a rocking clip!

This is for early, early fans of the band, so if you are looking for "Rio" or "Hungry Like The Wolf" or "The Reflex", well, those songs had not been written and performed yet. If you are like me and enjoy the original New Wave beat of Duran Duran, then you will love this album! Totally recommend for purchase!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2010 10:45 AM PDT

Duran Duran
Duran Duran
13 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Studio Version of "Tel Aviv" is reason enough to purchase!, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Duran Duran (Audio CD)
Okay, I had some skepticism of the Collector's Edition of "Duran Duran" since I was unsure of the sound quality and the various selections that were being offered up. To get the remastering issue on the table, the original album tracks (including "To The Shore") and the B-Sides of "Late Bar", "Faster Than Light", "Khanada", and "Fame" all sounded fantastic and the sound quality was enhanced to the degree that you can tell a significant difference between the original CD of this album and this remastered version.

The other reason that I had hesitated was that I was that I thought that the demos would not have been up to the same caliber of the original songs, but how wrong I was! There are some rarities and unreleased versions included that will help bump up the collectibility of this volume. Case in point, when I heard the studio version of "Tel Aviv", I was skeptical because the song starts out very brooding and dark (much like the debut DD album material), but during the instrumental bridge of this song, Andy Taylor just ROCKS IT with some really powerful guitar, complemented by the pulsating drumbeats from Roger Taylor. Towards the end of the instrumental bridge, John Taylor KICKS IT with a pounding, bass beat to Andy Taylor's guitar. It is by far one of the best tracks on the collection and I much prefer this version to the original instrumental version of "Tel Aviv", which was included on the original album. Also, if you listen to the studio version of "Girls Of Film", it sounds like you are magically transported back to the days of the early 80s when synth pop was just beginning to take off (If you are older than 40, you know what I mean! Anyone under 40, sorry you were not there to experience the magic and wonderment of the 80s, which DD was a big part of!)

All in all, I have purchased the Collector's Editions of "Rio" and "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" along with this Collector's Edition and this one by far surpasses "Rio" and "Seven And The Ragged Tiger"! (I know, I know, a lot of the Duranies are probably saying, "Well, wait a minute, "Rio" is a bonefied New Wave Classic and "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" includes "The Reflex", which was the band's first Number 1 hit in the US) But, it is a matter of opinion and how much of a DD fan that you are. I run a continuous MP3 track of DD songs on my MP3 player of my all-time DD favorites and I had to include the Studio Version of "Tel Aviv" - it's that GOOD!

All in all, I recommend this as a strong purchase, as even though I'm an original DD fan from 1981, there were even a few pleasant gems that even surprised me! The only thing I could not figure out are the differences between the Extended Night Version and the Club Mix of "Girls On Film" - they sound exactly the same! You can tell a huge difference between the Night Version and the Club Mix of "Planet Earth", so I'm not sure why the band felt like they had to distinguish these 2 versions of "Girls On Film". The rest of the goodies are included here including, "Careless Memories", "Night Boat", and the long-lost (but always welcome!), "To The Shore". A great, great purchase that I am not regretting - Enjoy!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2010 7:48 AM PDT

Seven & the Ragged Tiger (2 CD/DVD)
Seven & the Ragged Tiger (2 CD/DVD)
5 used & new from $64.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Seven and the Ragged Tiger Collector's Editon - Almost!, May 21, 2010
I had been waiting in anticipation of the Collector's Edition of "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" for quite some time and I was glad that the band finally released it in the US (The original release date was supposed to have been back in March, but for some reason, it was pushed back to May). I think the sound quality sounds fantastic and I did not notice any hissing or popping and it does in fact sound much better than the original CD quality volume that came several years ago.

As far as the selection goes, DD could have selected some unreleased demos to really bump up the collectibility of this volume. Don't get me wrong, the inclusion of "Is There Something I Should Know" and "Faith In This Colour" are assets to the strength of this collection. However, years ago, I heard a bootleg of a demo of a DD song actually called "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" (it sounded like a cross between "To The Shore" and "Union Of The Snake") However, the sound quality of this demo track was so horrendous, I only hoped that one day the band would officially release this lost gem.

The other shortcoming is that the band could have thrown in "The Wild Boys" and "A View To A Kill". Now, before all of the Duranies jump me by saying that "The Wild Boys" was originally on the live album, "Arena" and "AVTAK" was on the James Bond soundtrack of the same name, then why was "Is There Something I Should Know?" included in this volume? For those fans who were not around in 1983 when "Is There Something I Should Know?" was released as a standalone single, the band decided to bump "To The Shore" off of the debut DD album and replaced it with "Is There Something I Should Know?" and re-released the first Duran Duran album in an effort to boost record sales for the debut album and "Rio" while "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" was getting ready to be released. (After all, DD was very slow to catch on in the US and did not really catch until this time period - they were bigger in the UK before hitting it big in the US). So, all in all, since the next DD Collector's Edition is going to be "Notorious", they could have included the hit songs, "The Wild Boys" and "AVTAK" in this edition and would have completed the 1983 - 1985 DD heyday period in the US. (I would have rated this 5 stars had those two songs been included, but I still rate it 4 stars).

At any rate, even though all of the tracks on this edition are previously released material, it is still a great album to purchase for your collection, especially if you are a true DD fan, which I am since about 1981! Great Job to EMI and the band, but for the upcoming "Notorious" and "Big Thing" collector's editions, try to include some never before released tracks or demo versions to enhance the collectibility value of the editions.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2010 5:51 PM PDT

Newhart: Season 1
Newhart: Season 1
DVD ~ Steven Kampmann
Price: $12.96
57 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaky Debut, but Solid Intro into the next Super 7 Seasons!, May 19, 2008
This review is from: Newhart: Season 1 (DVD)
I have finally watched all of the episodes on the "Newhart - Season 1" discs! I remember watching these episodes when they first debuted in 1982 when I was a teenager. The atmosphere of the Stratford Inn brought back a lot of great memories of the 80s, but potential viewers and fans have to understand that Bob and the creators were attempting to bring together the success elements that would eventually launch this series as the greatest sitcom of the 80s. Season 1 is not my favorite season, but since it's the start of a great comedy legacy, I have to give it 5 stars!

THE PROS:
1. Bob - 'Nuf Said
2. Mary Frann was spectacular as Joanna Loudon. She eventually blossoms into the role and puts her own comedic spin into the role in future seasons of Newhart.
3. Tom Poston's depiction of George Utley is dead on funny! And the reaction of Dick Loudon's face is always priceless to the offbeat things that George comments on.
4. Jim and Chester - The 2 Town Selectmen make a solid debut as the two local bumpkins and they are on the launching pad for great comedy as well. Check 'em out in the last episode on this set, "I Love Being A Guy" - the poker game scene is hilarious!
5. The Stratford Inn - The elegant dining room and the comfortable looking lobby just adds to the Vermont atmosphere.
6. Recommended Episodes: The one with the witch buried in the Stratford's basement; the one where Joanna falls into the icy pond; the one where Dick, George, and Kirk go to the basketball game; the one where George thinks that he sees the UFO.
7. The promise of Season 2 with more Stephanie and Larry, Darrel, Darrel.

The Cons:
1. Kirk Devane: Probably one of the most annoying sitcom characters ever created, but he has his purpose in eventually vacating the MinuteMan cafe in Season 2 when Larry, Darrel, Darrel take over and drive the laughs in hyperdrive!
2. Leslie Vanderkellen - A very wooden performance from Jennifer Holmes. The only time I witnessed any character animation was in the episode when Kirk's grandmother(wonderfully played by Ruth Gordon!). Leslie actually smiles and talks and moves and everything in this episode. Thankfully, she exits the series after the debut season.
3. Underutilizing Stephanie Vanderkellen - Julia Duffy appeared in one episode of Season 1 and her comedic talents are greatly underutilized and she comes across as almost too serious for the way her great character eventually blossoms. Thank God - Julia Duffy will be back in Season 2 - BRING HER ON! And, equally fantastic, will be the debut of Peter Scolari's hilarious, selfish and vain, Michael Harris in Season 2!
4. Underutilizing Larry, Darrel, Darrel - The trio appear in 2 episodes and they are hysterical in their enthusiasm in digging up the 200-year-old witch and serving the convicts at the MinuteMan cafe while Kirk is recovering from surgery.

Overall, if you are a Bob Newhart fan, you will not be disappointed in Season 1 of "Newhart" as there are great comedic moments in this set. However, when Season 2 debuts and Kirk and Leslie exit the series, and Stephanie and Michael enter the series, the comedy rocket definitely leaves the launch pad! BRING ON SEASON 2!

Astronaut
Astronaut
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $4.00
142 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Superior to "Red Carpet Massacre", December 10, 2007
This review is from: Astronaut (Audio CD)
After reviewing both "Astronaut" and "Red Carpet Massacre", I figured out the one missing ingredient that is the main difference between these two albums is the absence of Andy Taylor on RCM. These 5 guys came together in the early 80s, broke up in mid 80s and got back together again for the 2004 Astronaut release. The missing Andy Taylor is painfully obvious on RCM and DD also seems to have lost its identity in the process, due to bending down to the overrated Timbaland and untalented Justin Timberlake.

But, that's another review for another day. So, regarding "Astronaut", this album is the band's strongest release since "Rio". The opening track, "Reach Up For The Sunrise" is a mind-blowing, positive, morale booster that gets even the lamest dancers to their feet. "Want You More!" is a hard rocking track that brings back reminiscinces of the pulse-pounding "Hungry Like The Wolf". "What Happens Tomorrow" is by far the strongest track on the album because it has a mellow, groove-down synthesis with probably some of Simon's best note-hitting capabilities. The title track is my least favorite track on the album because by then, the guys sound like they are tired and start sounding like automatons. Love "Bedroom Toys" with its funky, groovy beat, however, the lyrics make you wonder exactly what these guys have been experienced in.

"Nice" would have been another great release and this strutting tough track demonstrates that the original DD still has it. "Taste The Summer" is my second least favorite track because the track rollicks along in a steady beat, but the payoff seems to lose something in the translation. "Chains" is another strong entry with the eerie, "Night Boat" kind of feel to it and the haunting chorus bridge is quite memorable. "The Point Of No Return" would have been another great single choice that clearly demonstrated Andy Taylor's prowess with the guitar - the guitar solo just rocked! Finally, "Still Breathing" was another eerie build reminiscient of "Friends Of Mine" that is a well-suited jab at critics and naysayers that there is still life in this band.

If you want to listen to an enjoyable album that demonstrates the musical talents of all five of the original DD, you will not be disappointed in the lift of "Astronaut".

Page: 1 | 2