Profile for Socrates53 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Socrates53 "prairie scholar" RSS Feed (South Dakota)

Ships' Boats: Their Qualities, Construction, Equipment, and Launching Appliances
by Ernest Walter Blocksidge
Price: $40.75
14 used & new from $7.57

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor photocopy!, July 14, 2013
I don't mind books that are photocopies of old, old editions, but it would be nice if the photocopies capture all the print on the page. In this book, numerous pages have text that bleeds off to nothing where the copier tried to capture the text along the book's spine. Pretty disappointing as I thought I was getting a booki that would be loaded with old lore about ships' boats, and instead found much that is unreadable.

Kaito AD500 AC Adapter for Kaito Voyager Series Radios
Kaito AD500 AC Adapter for Kaito Voyager Series Radios
Price: $10.23
5 used & new from $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, July 31, 2011
We have three of the Kaito Radios, for two of our houses and one for my son's house. We thought that having the AC adapters would have us all set up, but all three adapters emit an annoying hum to whatever band the radio is tuned to. Might not be a big problem in a big city where signal strengths are high, but out in the boonies of South Dakota, these adapters don't work well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2014 12:21 PM PST

Ecstasy (Extase)
Ecstasy (Extase)
DVD ~ Hedy Lamarr
7 used & new from $75.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Ecstasy (Extase) (DVD)
I purchased this flick because it has a notorious reputation, and my reaction was, "Yeah, Right. How wild could a 1932 movie be?" Admittedly, Heddy Lamarr is shown swimming and running through a forest in the nude, and there is a love scene where she reportedly has the first orgasm ever filmed, but these scenes really contribute to a sense of naturalness to the film that I didn't find nasty or lewd....just artful. The use of visual symbols throughout the film is rich, clever,and quite accessable to a modern mind, unlike other films approaching it's time. I'm not a great scholar of films from the 30's, but I was reminded of clips I had seen of Leni Riefenstal's film, "Olympia." There is little dialog, which is in German, although the film is subtitled, but that really removes what would otherwise distract one from enjoying the visual wealth of this film. The soundtrack is well in synchronized with the film in both timing and mood. Altogether and interesting addition to any collection.

Pandora's Box [VHS]
Pandora's Box [VHS]
VHS
22 used & new from $2.22

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointed, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Pandora's Box [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I purchased this movie because I think Louise Brooks is one of the most beautiful women on the 20th century and wanted to see some of her work. I found that in this day and time I had to really work at trying to get into the idiom of this silent film, and never totally succeeded. The gestures and dramatic conventions from so long ago are hard to fathom. Louise is lovely to look at, but the story line is rather predictable, but that may be a function of nearly 80 years' refinement of that plot. It may have been quite fresh and daring back in the twenties, but I couldn't get my mind there. If you wish to see a movie nearly as old that was very racey at the time and has wonderful usage of symbolism, I would recommend "Ecstacy" with Heddy Lamarr.