Profile for Timothy A. Coonfield > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy A. Coonfield RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Torani Sampler Pack, 3 Count
Torani Sampler Pack, 3 Count
Offered by Goods To My Front Door
Price: $15.67
16 used & new from $15.67

1.0 out of 5 stars Ready the fine print before you buy!, March 22, 2015
Read everything really carefully. These are not full size bottles, but instead are 3 bottles of 1.67 oz. each. Very expensive for what you get. The listing seems borderline deceptive -- does not make the size of the bottles clear at all.

Mark-My-Time Digital Bookmark- Neon Pink
Mark-My-Time Digital Bookmark- Neon Pink
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $12.31
5 used & new from $8.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Instant hit with my daughter, August 18, 2014
What can I say? It's a bookmark and a timer. Does both nicely. Has both a countdown and count-up mode, as well as a clock. And when inserted between the pages of a standard book, one can easily return to the same page at a later date and time.

The settings are pretty easy to figure out even for my seven year old, and she has been busily timing herself since she got it.

One negative I will say for the thing...the bookmark is a *little* thick. It's a hunk of plastic which makes it nice and sturdy, but it's not super thin. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd throw it out there.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Three meals in and loving it so far, May 12, 2014
I've used this for a few meals so far - most notably some chicken breasts and a couple filet mignon steaks. The results were stunning to say the least. The Anova has been absolutely fantastic so far.

Pros:
Holds temperature perfectly. Have not seen one degree of variance throughout.
Clean looking interface.
Stylish unit. I have the red one and it looks great.
Quality clamp. Take a look at the Sansaire and you'll see what I mean.
Very quiet. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I've barely noticed it running.

Cons:
Can take a while to heat water. 45 minutes for about 15 liters heated to 140 degrees. Judge for yourself it that's too much time.
Not the most responsive touch interface in the world. Feels like delay between the button press and something happening.

I might be on a honeymoon right now with home sous vide cooking, but I really can't say enough about the amazing quality of food this thing can produce. If you're considering, do yourself a favor and take the leap. You won't regret it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2014 6:45 PM PDT

Disney Tangled Featuring Rapunzel Grow and Style Doll
Disney Tangled Featuring Rapunzel Grow and Style Doll
Offered by Mary's Toys & Things
Price: $22.49
9 used & new from $22.49

4.0 out of 5 stars So THAT'S why they called the movie Tangled..., June 1, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
My daughter loves this toy, and the growing hair is a great feature in theory. But in practice, it's constantly getting tangled and becomes difficult to pull out at all. You get this knotted mess that we are constantly working to comb out.

The doll itself is otherwise nice -- the face does not exactly look like Rapunzel from the movie, though. A bit more generic Barbie with a purple dress. More than good enough for my daughter, but they still could have done better. Nice toy, but not the perfect one.

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)
The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)
by Patrick Rothfuss
Price: $23.09
121 used & new from $5.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book that may have had a bit TOO much to live up to, June 1, 2011
**Possible minor spoilers** Count me among the many who absolutely loved The Name of the Wind and grabbed book 2 with tremendous excitement. And I loved this next chapter in the story as well, but in a lot of ways it really just didn't live up to the first.

A lot of people have expressed problems with the nature of Kvothe's character development from nuanced hero into do-everything Casanova. I get that, but I still think that the interludes in the story back to present day (same style as book 1) served to counterbalance a lot of that. Kvothe is (or at least becomes) a very deep and nuanced character clearly, and to me, reading about the dizzying heights of fame and skill that he is gaining here mid-story just intrigues me that much more as to what is to come.

What bothered me the most was the pacing and transition of the book. It just felt disjointed and jarring at some points. A long and apparently eventful sea journey glossed over in -- literally -- a page or two. An almost awkward two page move from a group of mercenaries trudging through the forest to the wild sex party portion of the tale. And then multiple chapters dedicated to the beauty of a board game. The unevenness just didn't always work for me and was a departure from a lot of what made the first book so great.

I don't mean to say that I didn't like the book. It was still a great read and I'll be in line opening day to grab his next book. Rothfuss set the bar VERY high with his first book, though, and this one just falls short in some ways.

Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards)
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards)
by Scott Lynch
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
88 used & new from $2.31

3.0 out of 5 stars A good followup to "Locke", but flounders a bit, January 4, 2011
Don't take the 3-star review to mean this is not a book worth reading. It is, particularly if you read his previous "The Lies of Locke Lamora." This book is a good followup and the relationship between the main characters (Locke and Jean...or whatever their aliases are on that particular page of the book) does a lot to drive the narrative. Where the book falls over a bit, I think (like many), is the nautical scenes. It's obvious that Lynch either did a lot of research on nautical terminology, or at least is good enough at faking it for me, but it feels for large stretches like you're getting beat over the head with a sailors' dictionary. Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge of pirate terms, but the vocabulary lesson detracted a fair amount from the story for me.

If you read the first book, you're no doubt adjusted to the Mission Impossible-esque capers that you can expect from this one, so I really didn't find the outlandish resolutions such a big deal. It's an entertaining read...more a thriller than the epic fantasy you'll get elsewhere.

I'll recommend the book, particularly to fans of the original, but don't expect it to be something it's not and you won't be disappointed.

Warbreaker
Warbreaker
by Brandon Sanderson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.34
97 used & new from $0.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, but perhaps better as a series, September 13, 2010
This review is from: Warbreaker (Mass Market Paperback)
So let me start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The magic system, much like that in Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, was well thought out and utterly unique. No cookie-cutter magic here. And I love that he even takes the time to fully develop the magic beyond even what is needed in the book. I know a lot of authors will develop a world more than perhaps the specific plot demands, but I still think the time and effort was admirable for a single volume. I also think several of the characters were very well developed and experienced tremendous growth and change for a single book.

But I think the thing that bugged me was that I had to qualify everything above with "for a single book." This felt to me like a story begging to be broken into an epic series. Some of the characters who I would love to have delved deeper into never got the treatment they deserved. The ending felt a rushed attempt to tie up every loose end in a single fell swoop. It's not that I did not enjoy the read - it's just that I thought so much of the story felt like it was just a scramble to fit it all in.

Part of me is hoping there's more to the story in a sequel, but I don't even think there were enough loose ends there to really lend well to a follow up. So I'll just call it what it is - a great read that ended up feeling a touch lacking. I'd still recommend the time to spend with it, but it's definitely not Sanderson's best.

CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder
CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder
Price: $8.99
44 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars End your search -- this one's the best, June 11, 2010
I was completely prepared to spend upwards of $50-$60 or even more if that's what it took to find a good stud finder, and looking at the price of the fancy electronic ones on the market, it seemed likely that's what would be required. But then I came across this one for an amazingly low price and decided to take a shot. And boy am I glad I did! No beeping, no lights, no electronic displays. Just a level and a magnet. Wave the thing over the wall until you pass over a nail head and the magnet just sticks to the wall. That's it. And unlike the notoriously unreliable expensive models, it was right on every time. This one's a definite winner, so don't waste money and take the simple route. You won't regret it!

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
by Patrick Rothfuss
Price: $11.71
99 used & new from $1.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start -- with tons of room to grow, March 3, 2010
I started this book not even knowing that the next installment was not yet completed, and now that I'm finished, I find myself itching for the next step in the story. Rothfuss shows incredible promise for what stands to be an absolutely wonderful trilogy here. This book is a lot about laying the groundwork -- enticingly hinting at some greatness behind his main character, Kvothe. And Kvothe is one of the most intriguing characters I've been introduced to in a while, too. An immense talent with a touch (or more) of arrogance and a well hidden (so far) darkness just to keep it interesting. None of these archetypes that make a character's actions predictable in so many other books.

This is absolutely one of the best first books I've read since George R.R. Martin, and I can't wait to get my hands on book 2. Can't recommend this enough!

Star Wars Darth Vader USB Hub
Star Wars Darth Vader USB Hub
Offered by ForTheBeautiful
Price: $229.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a second, but just gets old quickly, December 8, 2009
So I got this for all the obvious reasons -- the perfect convergence of geekiness. A computer accessory featuring Darth Vader. When I opened the box up, there was no disappointment. The Vader mold is not the highest quality construction, but it's solid enough and is a spot on likeness. When you plug in a device, the head turns and the eyes light up, and you're rewarded with the fantastic lightsaber sound. I couldn't have been happier at this point.

Then I left him plugged in. Every few minutes, the head would do a quick pan across the room and you'd get the audio of Darth Vader's signature breathing. The first couple times, I thought it was great. But it just keeps going and gets old quickly. You can turn off the sound of the breathing, but you're still left with the motorized head, and the servos make a good bit of noise. So now the head just sits on my desk unplugged.

I still like it a lot and it makes a great show-off piece, but I don't think I'll ever leave it plugged in as a fully functioning USB port. Really just needs a way to leave it plugged in without the sound and motion at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5