Profile for Never pay retail > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 606

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Never pay retail RSS Feed (PUYALLUP, WA United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Heat Tolerant Blue Mix, 3-Pound
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Heat Tolerant Blue Mix, 3-Pound
Price: $14.99
11 used & new from $14.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Scotts answer to my first world problem?, March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the great mysteries of my decadent, privileged life is how grass seed can sprout and thrive in the cracks of my driveway, yet be so difficult to germinate in my lawn. I mean really, grass is basically a weed. It grows without human intervention in the gravel by the side of the road for crying out loud! Yet it requires daily coddling and tending to get it to come up in my lawn.

This seed by Scotts boasts Water Smart technology intended to improve your chances of success. As with anything however, your level of success will bear direct correlation to your level of effort. If you prepare your lawn area with fresh topsoil, top dress it with peat moss, saturate it well, spread out the seed, rake it into the peat moss layer and water it twice a day until the seeds sprout- you will have good results. If you think you can just fling some seed onto the bare spots of your lawn and count on the spring rains to keep them watered, you are destined for failure. You might as well sprinkle out shredded dollar bills and expect money trees to grow.

Bottom line, the Water Smart coating will give you a better chance at a good outcome but don't let it give you a false sense of security and think you can neglect the project. Follow the directions to the letter and you will soon have a lush lawn that will be the envy of your neighbors. Then you can spend the rest of the summer fertilizing, raking out moss, thatching, mowing, edging, spraying for weeds and insects............

Nesco BL-90 Digital Control Blender with Stainless Steel Trim, 700-watt, Black
Nesco BL-90 Digital Control Blender with Stainless Steel Trim, 700-watt, Black
Price: $68.99
43 used & new from $68.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Fancy, newfangled contraption- but I like it!, March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First let me say that this is replacing a Harvest Gold Osterizer Galaxie that I am proud to say has graced my kitchen counter for THIRTY FIVE YEARS. My how blenders have evolved! For starters, this sucker is easily twice the blender, in every respect- capacity, power, and counter top footprint. The base is 7" x 8" and you should have at least 17" of clearance if you hope to store this under a cabinet. The jar is heavy, thick and has a 6 cup capacity with plenty of room for your food to churn and move during the blending process. The lid fits very tight and I'll have no worries about food flying out the top of the jar.

The control panel is a very modern touchscreen type. It looks to be completely sealed and impervious to the spills and drips that will be inevitable on a blender. The display will automatically switch on when the jar is locked into place and will not operate if the jar is not seated correctly- nice safety feature there. (If you don't make a selection promptly, the display shuts off and you will need to hit the on/off button again to run. This is not only a safety feature but an energy saving feature as well.) From that point, you can select "menu" and choose the time and speed yourself, hit "pulse" to manually control things or choose "Ice" or "smoothie" for preset options. "Smoothie" runs at full speed (10) for 120 seconds. "Ice" alternates pulses of speed 10 and pauses of a few seconds for a total of 120 seconds. There are also + and - keys to change the speed mid-blend. You definitely have a full range of options. If the control freak in you wants to hold the button down, watch the process and make the call on when to stop- you can do that. When you need to multi-task, just set your desired speed and duration, walk away to do something else and the blender will shut off on it's own.

Nesco included a fairly informative owner's manual with two full pages of recipes to try. My tip for you is to buy those giant bags of spinach or kale from the warehouse store and freeze up what you can't use fresh. Then you can take a handful straight from the freezer and throw it into a smoothie. It's a great way to sneak in some extra nutritional value without the picky eaters in the family being any the wiser.

This blender seems louder than my old one, but I'm sure that is because it is more powerful. It had no difficulty chewing up full size ice cubes.
Surprisingly, the gears where the blade and jar bottom mesh with the motor are made of some sort of silicone material. Metal gears, like those on my Oster, are prone to becoming rounded and stripped. Obviously hard plastic would be too brittle to withstand the stress and torque on that connection so I'm glad to see they didn't go that route.

With silicone parts and a fancy electronic control panel, I can't help but wonder if THIS blender will still be going strong 35 years from now. It does come with just a one year warranty so maybe I'd better hang on to the Oster just in case...

Miracle-Gro 100444 Liquafeed Quick Start Transplanting Solution, 2 Pack (Liquid Plant Fertilizer)
Offered by JRey, LLC
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great- if you use their feeder too, March 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is no question that Miracle Grow is one of the most trusted brands in gardening. I have used their liquid fertilizer, fertilizer spikes and potting soil and never been disappointed. I am so confident in the brand, I have no doubt this Quick Start fertilizer for transplanting will perform up to expectations.

Really the only thing to comment on here is ease of use. The product is designed to be be used with their "Liqua Feed" hose attachment which mixes and applies the fertilizer in one easy step. Interesting to note, this particular product should be applied to the ground rather than the "fast foliar feeding" of old school Miracle Grow.

Unfortunately, I do not have that particular hose attachment, so I have to use the watering can method. They provide an alternate cap with a built in measuring spoon. The idea is to hold the bottle horizontal, squeeze out the appropriate amount of liquid and dump it into your watering can. This works well enough, until you stand the bottle back upright and whatever is left in the spoon dribbles down the bottle- being not only messy but wasteful. The real big flaw is that unless you switch back to the solid cap, your bottle is actually not sealed. If it gets knocked over, fertilizer leaks out pretty freely. It doesn't need to be squeezed to dispense. I don't know about your garage, but hings get knocked over all the time in mine and the idea of having a liquid product that is not tightly sealed is simply not practical. While I understand that tender transplants deserve accurately measured fertilizer, I'd have preferred a detached spoon that maybe snapped back on to the cap or bottle between uses than this fancy cap.

So if you have the hose attachment- this is a great product in a convenient package. If you're using a watering can, it is a quality liquid fertilizer in a needlessly fancy package.

Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Ready-Spray Hose End Attachment (Liquid Starter Lawn Fertilizer) (Not Sold in Pinellas County, FL)
Offered by valuesforless
Price: $6.48
11 used & new from $6.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, peasy- Done!, March 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a small area of new lawn in my front yard. It was seeded last year but reseeded this year to fill in some bare patches. I wanted a gentle fertilizer that would be safe for the new sprouts but also give the year old grass a nice boost. I think this product is going to fit the bill nicely. It was super simple to use. The hose connector, spray nozzle and on/off slider worked flawlessly. Per the directions, for my size of lawn, I only need to spray for 60-90 seconds so I will easily get at least 3-4 treatments out of this container. You don't have to soak the lawn-just apply enough to wet it down. A no-mix liquid fertilizer is not only a nice convenience it also avoids the pitfalls of granular fertilizers like: stripes or patches from careless application , burned spots from spills or faulty spreaders, stains on the sidewalk where you turned the spreader around, that nasty iron taste in your mouth or lung damage from inhaling fertilizer dust! Provided my grass responds as I expect, I will be using this anytime I reseed.

Scotts 71030 Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
Scotts 71030 Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
Price: $11.99
47 used & new from $9.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Back to the drawingboard, Scotts, March 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So the idea is pretty simple. You've got some particulate (seed, fertilizer or ice melt) that you want to disperse on the ground (lawn, sidewalk). You put whatever it is into the hopper, turn the handle in a smooth and steady motion, walk at a steady pace and your material should be evenly dispersed over the area. Doesn't sound that tough, does it? Well, Scotts found a way to make it difficult. The crank handle of this spreader is very poorly designed. It turns easily-provided the hopper is EMPTY. If the hopper is loaded, the handle meets so much resistance that no amount of force will make it turn. I got the distinct impression that if I kept trying, the swivel tip (which is especially flimsy) would break right off in my hand. I wound up turning the bar attached to the handle instead. Instead of a smooth and steady application, this made for a series of jerky, pulses of dispersion. That may not be a problem for ice melt, but it is a total deal breaker for lawn fertilizer. I get better results with the 20 year old Ortho Whirlybird I bought for 50 cents at a garage sale. Too bad, because I was really looking forward to the larger hopper and the improved design of the adjustable setting lever. From reading the reviews, it is clear other consumers had the same experience. I was hoping to get a re-engineered product to review but it doesn't seem they have done anything to fix the design flaw.

I cannot recommend this product for even infrequent use on the smallest of areas.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Miracle-Gro 0757110 Nature's Care Slug and Snail Control, 1.25lb
Miracle-Gro 0757110 Nature's Care Slug and Snail Control, 1.25lb
Price: $12.56
4 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A kinder, gentler death for slugs, March 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Gardener vs. slug is like a long standing family feud here in the Pacific Northwest. It is a bitter, ongoing battle. There is never a clear winner but no side will ever surrender despite widespread property damage and catastrophic casualties tantamount to genocide.

My weapon of choice in this war has always been Deadline. I enjoy the visible evidence of the carnage I've inflicted. The silvery trails leading to the carcases of my vanquished enemy... I gleefully imagine the writhing agony of their death as I tally the body count the next morning.

This Miracle Gro product is a kinder, gentler solution for those of you less sadistic than I. It works by destroying the appetite of the slug, so theoretically he crawls back home, slips into a coma from malnutrition and quietly slips away, surrounded by his loved ones. In fact, if this product is effective in your garden, the only evidence you'll have will be seeing LESS damage on your plants.

It is easy to apply. The container has a shaker top and you just scatter it right out where you want it. Any granules that land on a leaf tend to bounce and roll down to the ground where they belong. In that way, it is better than Deadline, which sometimes winds up on a leaf and gets wasted because it's not down where the slugs are most likely to get it. I guess if you are OK with a slow, quiet end to your arch enemy, this is an acceptable alternative to Deadline.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2015 7:57 PM PDT

Miracle-Gro 100376 Fertilizer Spikes for Evergreens, 12-Pack (Not Sold in Pinellas County, FL)
Price: $10.99
20 used & new from $8.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Fertilizer for dummies, March 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every year, I tend to buy a bunch of bagged fertilizer and then never get around to putting it out. Doesn't do my garden much good sitting in the garage. Spikes are a great alternative for me. I can pound in a spike or two around specific shrubs or trees and get months of continuous feeding without having to remember to do anything else. I'm using them for some potted Dwarf Alberta Spruce, and various other evergreen shrubs in my yard. Not entirely sure why the product description includes dogwood as a candidate since that is certainly a deciduous tree in my area. If your ground is dry, rocky or you might have a pot matted with roots you may even want to pound a pilot hole with a pipe or piece or re-bar or some such. Even using the plastic cap, you can still wind up breaking the spike if you meet any resistance when pounding it in.

Fertilizer is not something you're going to be able to judge overnight, but I know and trust the Miracle Gro brand enough to give this my full recommendation.

Stanley Portable Comfort Mat, 18-Inch x 22-Inch
Stanley Portable Comfort Mat, 18-Inch x 22-Inch
Price: $29.97
2 used & new from $29.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Stanley, my knees thank you!!!, March 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Seems like when I was young, I could kneel on a hard surface and not be bothered by it. These days, it sends lightening bolts of pain shooting up my legs which makes extended kneeling difficult and getting up near impossible. This mat is going to be a life saver the next time I do a project that requires kneeling for any length of time. I foresee using it when I'm cleaning baseboards, fiddling with the connections behind my TV or computer, organizing a bottom drawer...you get the drift. I'd even be tempted to use it for yard work but I'm afraid it would tear easily from rocks or sticks since it is really not intended for that purpose.

The mat is well made and makes my knees feel like I'm kneeling on a bed mattress though I'm really on a hardwood floor. It is amply sized so as to provide a good workspace and would work as well for a seat cushion as a kneeling mat. It is a tad small for a standing unless you will be confined to a really restricted spot. A nicely beveled edge will help limit tripping and a carry handle is included. Can't beat a 20 year limited warranty!

Stanley makes larger mats for desk or cash register areas and interlocking mat sections for workbench or corner configurations. This portable size is another great option to complete their full line of anti-fatigue mat products.

Stanley Home and Office Anti-Fatigue Mat, 24-inch x 36-inch
Stanley Home and Office Anti-Fatigue Mat, 24-inch x 36-inch
Price: $49.97
2 used & new from $49.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it easy!, March 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This mat provides the perfect balance between cushion and firm footing. It is well made, durable and less "industrial" looking than the Stanley mats that have the logo in bright yellow. We're going to be using it in an office at a stand up desk. It is the same price as the one the desk manufacturer sells to go along with the desk, but this is several inches larger in size AND comes with a 20 year limited warranty!

Though the mat has a beveled edge but I really feel it is better suited for an application where you'd be standing in a fixed position most of the time rather than stepping on and off of it all day. Even with a beveled edge, there is still going to be somewhat of a trip hazard so I'd say if you are going to be moving around a lot, you might be better off with a larger area mat. Stanley also makes an interlocking mat you can customize to fit longer spaces or corners.

A grocery cashier or someone manning a stationary machine or position on an assembly line would certainly benefit from this mat and I highly recommend it for use with a stand up desk.

Signal: A Sam Dryden Novel
Signal: A Sam Dryden Novel
by Patrick Lee
Price: $19.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure your seatbelt is completely fastened..., March 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a fan of Patrick Lee. I simply devoured the Travis Chase series and thoroughly enjoyed the prequel to Signal, The Runner". There is a similarity to the two series. Always some sort of futuristic technology at play which in the wrong hands will undoubtedly lead to world-changing Very Bad Things... It is somewhat formulaic- but I gotta tell you, it is a winning formula. He gives us clear evil to root against, approachable heroes to save the day and a fast paced, action laced plot that just charges ahead and sucks you right along with it. The science is often implausible and the technology is often obviously contrived to fit a later plot point. Come on, an interrogation drug that triggers the subject's libido-but she KNOWS that side effect and uses it to seduce and disarm her captor- Really? But I don't even care. I enjoy every minute of Patrick Lee's books. They are a sure fire vacation or airplane book in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20