Profile for David Berning > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Berning "dberning" RSS Feed (Denver, CO United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Commercial swing hanger galvanized to attach to wood beam
Commercial swing hanger galvanized to attach to wood beam
Offered by Playkids
Price: $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Show the neighbors you don't mess around when it comes to your swing..., August 14, 2014
Wow, these are much bigger than I expected, but that is not a bad thing. My wife requested a porch swing for her birthday which we ended up buying from Amazon. These swing hangers were a recommended item to go with the swing on Amazon, so I went ahead and bought these too. I had to run to the store to buy bigger lag screws to go through the bolt holes, but I will say I fill confident the swing is not going anywhere. Everybody who sees the swing says something to the effect of "wow, you weren't messing around attaching this to the ceiling!" Kind of funny actually. Anyway, the swing is great and these hangers are working beautifully - they are completely quiet too, no squeaking at all. You could probably get away with just heavy duty eye hooks from the hardware store, but in my opinion, these are much better and should last longer.

BulkSupplements Pure Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) Powder (500 grams)
BulkSupplements Pure Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) Powder (500 grams)
Offered by BulkSupplements
Price: $32.96
2 used & new from $32.96

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value, August 14, 2014
I have been taking the Optimum Nutrition brand of BCAAs (unflavored) for about a year now. I came back to buy more and happened to stumble upon the Bulk Supplements line of products. I did the math and it came out to be about a penny a gram cheaper than the ON brand so I thought I would give it a try. After using it for a week I can say they seem pretty equal in taste and mix-ability. I mix my BCAAs either in my pre-workout drink (cellucor C4, usually fruit punch flavor) or in my protein shake. I lot of people will say BCAAs taste bitter, but I have never noticed any change in flavor (with either brand) when mixing it as I do. I also picked up some more creatine from Bulk Supplements, but have yet to open the bag as I am still using up my old supply (also Optimum Nutrition brand). Again, the Creatine came out to be about a penny per gram cheaper. I am not an expert, and results on these type of supplements are hard to measure, but for me it seems the quality is equal to what I was using before but for a better price, so I will likely be switching to BulkSupplements going forward.

First Nature 3091 16-Ounce Hummingbird Flower Feeder
First Nature 3091 16-Ounce Hummingbird Flower Feeder
Price: $8.97
4 used & new from $8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works, May 21, 2014
Previously I had a glass hummingbird feeder that fell and broke. I wasn't to upset because it was always a pain to clean and refill. I bought this one because it had so many positive reviews and was relatively inexpensive. It agree with other people that it does look kind of cheap, but I have to say the hummingbirds really do like it. I hung it up outside without even filling it just to see how it looked. Shortly after doing so we had a freak May snowstorm in Denver this year. I felt so bad because I looked outside during the storm and there was a hummingbird trying to get a drink from the feeder, but it was empty! I promptly mixed up some sugar water and filled it. I now have a regular visitor (or maybe more than one, but I only ever see one bird at a time). I like how big the opening is to fill up the feeder, much easier than the old bottle style (I had to use a funnel with that one). I am really happy with this feeder, and in fact am thinking of ordering a second one as a gift for my mom.

Hydrapak Shape-Shift Reservoir
Hydrapak Shape-Shift Reservoir
Offered by 21st-Century-Goods
Price: $29.60
24 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my BMW Rallye 3 jacket, May 21, 2014
I recently purchased a new motorcycle jacket that had a built in pouch for a water bladder. The BMW branded water pouch that is available is $40 plus shipping, which to me seemed a little steep for a water pouch. (I think you are paying more for the BMW branding, but since it is hidden inside the jacket who really cares?) I saw that the BMW pouch was made by Hydrapak and basically looked identical to this one, so I went ahead and ordered it. It fits perfectly in my jacket and so far works as expected. I really like the ability to turn the reservoir inside out to clean / dry, and the top is so much easier to fill than the old camelback I sometimes use for hiking. Durability still remains to be tested, but at half the price of the BMW alternative I am already ahead of the game.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2014 9:18 AM PDT

Dyson DC14 and DC07 Switch Assembly Vacuum cleaner replacement part / spare
Dyson DC14 and DC07 Switch Assembly Vacuum cleaner replacement part / spare
Offered by MoreQualityLessMoney
Price: $10.98
3 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive fix for a frustrating problem, May 21, 2014
Bought this to fix my Dyson because the old switch stopped working (would only work if you held down the button.) A Google search revealed a couple YouTube videos on how to fix the problem and told me I could order the part on Amazon. Once I got the part it was a 5 minute job to replace, super easy. If I had known sooner it was so simple I wouldn't have waited a month before fixing it! (Luckily we have a 2nd vacuum in the house...)

Sewell Direct Ibis - 2x1 or 1x2 HDMI Bi-Directional Switch with HDCP Passthrough, 3D and 1080p Support
Offered by Sewell Direct Corp
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $15.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did it take me so long to buy this?, May 21, 2014
I have a 10 year old Sony LCD tv that only has two hdmi inputs. One was being occupied by the cable box, the other one was being shared by a Blu-ray player and a Roku. My 2 year old daughter is addicted to the movie Frozen and it is constantly being played, however my wife likes to use the Roku to catch up on shows. She was constantly having to move the hdmi cable from the back of the Blu-ray player to the Roku, and finally told me we needed a new tv because she was tired of doing it, plus our babysitter was a little intimidated of having to switch the cables. I knew there had to be an easy solution (other than buying a new tv) and a quick search on Amazon for an HDMI switch I found this little guy. Easy to setup, easy to use. I used a label maker to identify which light was for the Roku and which was for the Blu-ray player to make it really simple. Now I have a happy wife and a happy baby sitter, and that makes me happy.

Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service
Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service
Offered by fentonware
Price: $129.95
44 used & new from $96.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced Comcast with Ooma, September 27, 2013
My wife and I decided to ditch the high bills we were getting from Comcast after we received notice of yet another rate hike. As part of this mission we bought a Roku, and HD over the air antenna, and the Ooma. (We previously had the triple play, we downgraded to just keeping the internet.) Install was really, really simple - plug and play simple. We decided to just keep the new number assigned to us by Ooma since we weren't attached to our old number, so I can't comment on the port process. We mainly use our cell phones, but wanted a land line for emergencies and for our babysitter to use if she needs to. We have had the Ooma almost 5 months now and have not had a single problem. We keep the Ooma box on our kitchen counter and we get comments all the time of "what is that box with the blue lights? It looks cool!", so we don't mind having it sit out. Plus it makes it easy to see if we have a voicemail message (which is almost never the case since not many people have our landline number). For those who are curious, I have the Ooma hooked to the house phone wiring and from that have 2 cordless base units connected, with 5 total phones spread around the house. Also worth noting, we had family traveling in Europe for 3 weeks and so we added the international calling plan. Worked perfectly, we called several times a week and the connection was just as clear as if we were calling across the street. We are not missing Comcast and their inflated prices at all. If you are considering taking the same leap we did, I fully recommend it.

Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 with Keyboard and Mouse
Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 with Keyboard and Mouse
Price: $17.95
84 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Combo, September 10, 2013
I decided to treat myself to a new wireless keyboard and mouse for my work computer. The IT department at my work would only give me a wired keyboard that was huge and clunky. Not a huge deal except the way my desk is setup the cord drops down by my feet and I would always kick it and my keyboard and/or mouse would go flying. So I spent my own money figuring since I spend 40+ hours a week in front of a computer it was a cheap investment in my sanity. So far I love both the keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is simple is design which I like. It has a few shortcut buttons at the top I will probably never use with the exception of the calculator button - that was a nice surprise. (I work in accounting so I frequently use the windows calculator when I need to do simple math.) I was surprised the mouse no longer has the red light on the bottom that used to glow whenever I moved my old mouse. That is neither good or bad, but just an observation. The mouse is also lighter than I am used to, but I have grown to like it. I have an older wireless Logitech mouse at home and it feels twice the weight of this new one, which I imagine is largely due to the fact that it uses 2 AA batteries where this new one only uses 1. Easy to setup and everything has been working flawlessly the last two weeks I have owned it, so I would highly recommend.

EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 lb. Capacity and "Step-On" Technology [2014 VERSION] - 10,000+ Reviews EatSmart Guaranteed Accurate
Offered by EatSmart Products
Price: $39.95
16 used & new from $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and easy to read, January 7, 2013
I have been working out at my company gym for the last year and weighing myself once a week with the scale in the locker room, which is an EatSmart brand scale. I bought a cheap $10 scale from a local box store, but it was non-digital and had the numbers that spun on the circle. It was junk because each time I stood on it, it would give me a different weight that would be different by as much as 10 pounds. So I started weighing myself at work because it was obvious the EatSmart was way more accurate, and I loved how the screen lights up and the numbers are big and easy to read. I recently started working out at 5 am from home, and decided to spluge on this scale so it would be the same as the one I had been using at work. I have no regrets. I weight myself pre-workout and love that I don't have to turn on the bathroom light (my wife is still sleeping) and my still sleepy eyes can easily see the numbers. The scale is more expensive than some, but I truly believe you get what you pay for. I also like supporting EatSmart since I found out they are a small American (New Jersey) company. To date I have watched myself drop 26 pounts on EatSmart scales. (I know the scales have nothing to do with the actual weight loss, but I enjoy seeing the blue screen change with my progress.) I would fully recommend this scale to anyone.

Scotts 18169 Turf Builder Kentucky Bluegrass Seed Mix Bag, 7-Pound (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Great Household
Price: $37.40
11 used & new from $30.76

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing grew, May 21, 2012
My wife and I moved into a new construction house last year and had to install all the backyard landscaping ourselves. I picked up some Scott's landscapers blend grass see at a local store on sale. That grass grew like wild fire, and within a month the yard was so think with grass some new neighbors were asking were we bought our "sod". The downside was that part of the blend of seed was annual grass, so this spring our backyard looked a little thinner than I liked. I didn't want a grass seed mix with annual seed mixed in again, but I was so impressed with Scott's seed that I wanted to stick with the brand. I ordered the 7 lb back of turf builder Kentucky Bluegrass with high hopes. In preparation I dethached the backyard and raked it so the seed would have contact with the soil. I then spread the seed as directed on the package. I then set the sprinklers to water twice a day (the same as I had done the prior year), and waited. After 4 weeks of waiting not a single new grass blade sprouted, and I gave up. This last weekend I went back to the local store and bought a bag of Pennington brand grass seed and put it down. I'm not sure if I received an old/expired bag of seed, or what happened. At about $30 for the seed though, it was really disappointing to have nothing grow.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3