Profile for LizzieJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LizzieJ "LizzieLikesBooks" RSS Feed (Virginia, USA)

Briggs New York Women's Plus-Size Comfort Bistretch Pant, Blue, 18W
Briggs New York Women's Plus-Size Comfort Bistretch Pant, Blue, 18W

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price but..., January 30, 2014
I bought this for an inexpensive alternative to the black pants that dominate my winter wardrobe.

The title suggests that the pants are made of a material with stretch. The pair I received has no stretch in the fabric. It also seems to run a little large. I could almost have gone down a size smaller. Also, the waist is high in the front but lower in the back.

I like the flat front of pull-on pants with sweaters, but I'm really not impressed with the fit of this particular pair.

GreatShield Flex Grip Lightweight Windshield Dashboard Universal Car Mount Holder for Cell Phones and GPS Devices - Works with Samsung Galaxy S4 IV Galaxy S3 S III Apple iPhone 5 4/4S Google Nexus 4 Samsung Galaxy Note Epic 4G Touch HTC One M7 X V S Droid Incredible EVO 4G LTE Rezound Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE Atrix HD 2 Droid RAZR Maxx Blackberry Z10 Torch Bold Curve LG Optimus Elite 4X Nokia Lumia 720 and Many More
Offered by GreatShield Store
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within 3 weeks, October 30, 2012
This holder was nice and compact. Pad came off the dashboard a few times, but that could have been fixed with some adhesive.

The major problem was that within 2 to 3 weeks, the holder became "frozen" in position and could no longer be rotated or the angle changed. An attempt to change the angle (with only mild pressure) caused the holder to snap into two pieces, just below the ball joint.

The Project
The Project
DVD ~ Joe Weasel
Price: $19.95
4 used & new from $10.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want to believe the worst, but..., October 30, 2012
This review is from: The Project (DVD)
It's difficult for many Americans to grasp the seriousness of the threat described in this documentary. We have been raised in a society where freedom of belief and freedom of speech are the norm. We don't want to believe that others would want to remake the world into a culture where descent is considered blasphemy, where women have few rights, where a man can justify violence against his wife, where people are executed on the mere accusation that they are gay or an adulteress. It never ceases to amaze me that progressives in the U.S. willingly get into bed politically with the people described in this documentary, considering what these groups would do to most progressives if they were ever to gain the power they crave.

This documentary gives a good overview of the groups operating inside the U.S. and how they have they have seeped into positions of power and influence. While they have created a major foothold inside the current progressive administration, they have also gained influence among Republican circles. It's not a "red" or "blue" issue - it's something all Americans should be concerned about.

Garmin nüMaps Onetime Map Update for US & Canada [Online Map Code]
Garmin nüMaps Onetime Map Update for US & Canada [Online Map Code]
Price: $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for us!, December 30, 2009
The last time we updated maps on our StreetPilot 330 was a couple of years ago. The CD didn't work with Macs even though the GPS and the map update CD both had Mac compatibility listed on the packaging. I had to take the CD back to the retail store and they updated the maps from a store computer. It took like an hour.

Last night, we purchased the digital version of the update here at Amazon, since my husband was going on the road today. I was praying it would work. Here's what happened.

After purchase, we got a code from Amazon. The screen to return this code took a couple of minutes (longer than expected) but I didn't refresh or anything so it eventually came through.

I used this code over at Garmin's site along with our pre-existing user ID and password there (yes, if you don't have one already, you need to register there). In return, the Garmin site gave me another code that I needed to use on the computer when installing the map update.

I hooked the GPS in to my Mac Mini via USB. The Garmin site said that we needed a firmware update so I downloaded and installed that. No problems (unlike the past experience, the Mac seemed well supported).

Then we downloaded the maps. Took about 20 min. on a Verizon FIOS connection. The Garmin downloader Java applet will lock up your web browser till it's done, which personally I don't like, and doesn't give the user feedback as to progress (at least on a Mac) but it did work.

After the file downloaded, I installed the maps. Everything was fine except for trying to install the entire North America first (the 330 doesn't have enough storage to do this). Once I scaled back to just the US it was OK. Took about 20-30 minutes to download the maps to the GPS.

It's done, my hubby is happy, and hopefully the GPS won't show him falling into the Potomac any more as he travels past DC (as one example).

My recommendation if you want to try the digital download...take it slow, don't refresh screens or assume something is not working while the files are downloading. It worked well for us.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2010 6:13 PM PDT

SonicScrubber SSHK-S Household and Kitchen Powered Cleaning Kit
SonicScrubber SSHK-S Household and Kitchen Powered Cleaning Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, December 18, 2008
I have to wonder if the folks giving this product such low reviews even have the same product that the rest of us have!

Our master bathroom shower has a cross-hatch anti-slip design embossed on the floor. Dirt, soap scum, mold, gunk, all get caught in the little diamonds. For years I've tried to find something to clean it effectively. The closest I came was with a Magic Eraser, some strong cleaner, and a lot of elbow grease - but even 30+ minutes of scrubbing still left a lot of the junk on the bottom of the shower.

15 minutes with the Sonic Scrubber and my shower floor is cleaner than it's been since we first bought the house. All the black gunk and soap scum is gone! I can't wait to try it out on some other difficult to clean places in the house.

Belkin POWER PACK FOR SHUFFLE ( F8Z009Q )
Belkin POWER PACK FOR SHUFFLE ( F8Z009Q )
2 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, February 27, 2006
Wall outlet charger, car charger, and USB extension cord in this pack, all for one low price. The USB extension cord is helpful for many computers where the USB outlets aren't very convenient, since Shuffles have a direct USB plug-in connection instead of a cable like other iPods.

The Red Tent: A Novel
The Red Tent: A Novel
by Anita Diamant
58 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Neo-paganism inserted into an Old Testament Story, March 10, 2005
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Hardcover)
Not a surprise that one reviewer compared this book to "Mists of Avalon" -- both books insert contemporary neo-pagan beliefs and sensabilities into stories set in earlier times, and both books delight advocates of women-centric neo-pagan spirituality.

Diamant is a skilled writer, but don't expect upon picking up this book that you will be reading either a biblically or historically accurate account of the times.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2010 3:18 PM PST

Arena
Arena
by Karen Hancock
Price: $4.98
154 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars a positive surprise!, January 7, 2003
This review is from: Arena (Paperback)
I've been rather disapponted with a lot of current Christian fiction...I just don't believe the quality is there. But Arena was a positive surprise. The story and the allegory are not sterotypical at all. Karen Hancock was willing to do something very different from mainstream Christian fiction and I for one appreciate that. I would recommend this book to fans of allegorical science fiction in general, whether or not they were practicing Christians. It's also a great book for female lovers of sci-fi, since there is a female protagonist that has to go through a lot of personal growth through her testing in the Arena.

On Becoming Baby Wise, Book 1: Learn How Over One Million Babies Were Trained to Sleep Through the Night the Natural Way
by Gary Ezzo
246 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a former EZZO parent!, December 27, 2000
I would like to publicly apologize anyone I might have encouraged to use the Ezzo methods while I participated in some of their classes. In our Ezzo classes at church, we were told repeatedly that the Ezzo methods were God's Way, yes, with a captial G, and that only Ezzo parenting was the Right Way. We were also told that parents who DIDN'T use the Ezzo parenting methods, including attachment parents, would have spoiled, self-centered children. The Ezzos include fictional descriptions of children in their books and course materials, showing a child raised on THEIR methods as being a perfect little angel, and the child NOT raised on their methods as the one who pushes little kids off swings and having no consideration for others.
I have two daughters, a pre-teen and an elementary school child.. With the first I got into an Ezzo-type schedule, only nursed for a short time, pushed her into a crib and then into a toddler bed before she was ready. I tried to maintain this level of "deattachment" and schedule with my second child. How I wish I could have known then what I know now. My duaghters would have benefited from less emphasis on schedule and more empahsis on loving interaction.
We finally took Ezzo classes at church out of desperation and were TOLD they were completely practical, non-dangerous, and a life-saver. Instead of the techniques improving our relationship with our daughters (especially our oldest), our relationship suffered. It was after this happened that we started researching the Ezzos on the net, and we were shocked to find they had so little foundation for their teachings. We were shocked that we were so gullible to beleive that this was "biblical parenting" and God's Way to raise our children. Ezzo has primarily antedotial evidence ONLY that his methods work, coming from people who have bought into the belief that his is the "biblical" way to parent. He is not well-versed in what is normal child development. His wife was a nurse for a very brief period of time MANY years ago. Dr Buckman had only peen a practicing pediatrician for a year or two when the first Babywise book came out with HIS name on it as a "leading pediatrician."
Unlike some people who believe others blast this book out of hand, I have actually read a lot of the Ezzo's work, both the secular ____wise titles and their church materials. I know what I am talking about.
I heartily recommend that new or experienced parents of an infant do their research about child development and what is best for their childen before launching into the world of Ezzoism.
For the parent who would like to raise a well-behaved and thoughtful child, you don't need the Ezzo methods to achieve this. Babies will achieve a routine and eventually sleep through the night. They have been doing so since time began. You don't NEED Babywise to accomplish this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2011 2:09 PM PST