Profile for T. Denyer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 291

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Denyer "UX Designer" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Chia Seeds Organic, 2 lbs (Pure, Non-GMO, Organic Chia Seeds for Weight-Loss, Fiber, Nutrition, and Healthy Living) Bulk 2 Pounds Bag
Offered by BuyHerbs
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality seeds with just a subtle hint of nutty flavor., November 25, 2014
This is the fourth brand of chia seeds I have tried over the past 3 years. I think this may be my new favorite.

The bag has a zip-loc closure system which makes it easy to store in its original container. Unlike some brands, the closure actually works, easy to open and close too. I feel like if I dropped the bag off the counter it would stayed closed.

We almost always drink the seeds after soaking in juice. As with all chia products we have tried, there will be some seeds that simply don't absorb the liquid. With this brand I have not noticed any more or less than the other two we tried.

Since I always mix the seeds in with juice (and let them soak for an hour or more), I expect little to no flavor. BUT, this time I did notice a slightly nutty flavor from them—very slight and pleasant.

I did notice that these seeds have many more light colored seeds (white chia) than other brands I have used. I looked into it and the differences are supposedly negligible, just a different color.

I highly recommend these chia seeds for all your culinary needs.

NutriGold Double Strength Omega-3 Gold, 180 Softgels (Gold Standard Fish Oil Supplement with 500 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA Per Softgel) 1,500 Omega-3s per Serving of 2 Capsules
Offered by BuyHerbs
Price: $22.99
3 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, no fishy smell/breath, November 25, 2014
The thing that hit me the most is that when I first opened the bottle I didn't get an overwhelming scent of fish as I have with other brands' Omega softgels. The smell was present, but very subtle.

For anyone that has taken strong omega-3 softgels you know that they can stay with you long after you have swallowed them. That funky fishy feeling for half a day. That is NOT the case with these—I have never had a reaction or spent an afternoon afraid to talk to people because I felt fishy.

The size and color of the softgels is the same as every other brand I have had, though maybe a slightly lighter in color.

I like that fact that they have both DHA and EPA combined, though know that it is 500 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per softgel. They claim you take 2 softgels, which is 1,500 mg total of EPA and DHA. Some of you may have been told to get 1,000 mg a day. Just pointing this out in case you are a stickler and trying to get just the recommended dose.

I also like that the softgels don't seem to clump up together in the container. Another brand I used would just stick together causing me to have to bang the jar in the counter anytime I wanted one.

I highly recommend these over other brands mostly because I can take them without having to fear sea lion breath for half a day.

Stranger at Sunset
Stranger at Sunset
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It was great getting transported to Jamaica with such strong well written characters, November 20, 2014
Don't worry, no spoilers in this review!

The story starts off strong and does not taper off at all. I was ten pages in when I realized I was going to be staying up late to devour a good chunk of it. I just couldn't want to wait for tomorrow's train commute to get deeper into the story. :)

I really enjoyed how Eden brought the characters to life. It wasn't all in one fell swoop, but gradually over time. And much of it was through actions and not descriptions (you know, that "show don't tell" way of writing.) Really well done.

And the dialogue between characters felt authentic and not simply there to move the plot along or point out character traits. When it came to the dinner time confrontations of Adam and Matthew, or the plotting between Anna and Kate, it was so good that it just felt like a well designed set—it was supporting and necessary but sort of blended and didn't take over and be the sole plot driver.

For those that don't know, there are some erotic and romantic scenes in the book, as well as sexual assault. While this particular scene of assault is something I absolutely loathe having to read about, I did find that it was somewhat necessary to the story and to drive the plot along. Though, come to think of it, it probably could be excluded from the story and still be whole and great. Anyway, it may be just me since it's the third book in a row I have read (different authors) that has someone violently assaulted sexually. I challenge authors to come up with another tense scene to say, 'look, this is a supreme d-bag of a man.' When you read it, you'll know what I am talking about.

I really do recommend this book, and I am looking forward to the next one in the series. Well done and enjoyable.

The Hoont™ Bright Outdoor LED Solar Spotlight / Solar Powered Outdoor Light for Landscape, Garden, Driveway, Pathway, Yard, Lawn, Etc. / Solar Energy Exterior Lighting; Auto-on at Night and Auto-off by Day / Installs Easily; Just Stick into Ground / Solar Light Great for Accents, Security Lighting, Decorative, Pool Area, Etc.
Offered by The Hoont
Price: $39.95
2 used & new from $22.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, easy to install, charges fast, but doesn't last all night., November 20, 2014
My initial impression of the light was that it was very lightweight. When I picked it up I thought I would have to put batteries in it. But, you don't: it's all one closed unit and ready to go.

I did find that you have to be cautious of where you place the light:
— you need to make sure direct sun hits it most of the day. Lots of shade or indirect sun may diminish the performance of the light.
— some shady situations will turn on the light. I found that if 50% of the solar panel is covered or darkened, it will turn on the light.
— it is very lightweight. A strong gust of wind may knock it over. The stake you put in the ground does not tightly fit into the unit, meaning it can be pulled out of the stake quite easily.
— As you can see in the pictures, the light is very low to the ground once it is staked into the ground. So, all light is basically coming from the ground. With some ingenuity you could possible mount it up higher by using a lightweight pole between stake and light.

Measurements:
— The inner diameter of the mount for the light (that connects to the stake) is 1cm (or .39 inches.)
—The part of the stake that goes into the ground is about 11.5cm (4.5 inches).
—The face of the light has a diameter of about 9cm (3.54 inches)
— solar panel (including housing) is 8cm x 13.5cm (3.15in x 5.31in) and 3cm (1.18in) thick.

The light face can unscrew exposing the lens, gasket and light mechanism. Looks to be a solid sealed housing, so I don't expect any water to get in.

There does not appear to be any consumer replaceable parts on this unit.

Note: when you unbox it, be sure to peal off the thin plastic film over the solar panel.

For the price I recommend it. I might pick up an extra few and use them camping.

DE 2600mAh Lipstick Style Powerbank-Portable Battery Charger- with 3 Function Flashlight (In Retail Packaging)
Offered by Filltech
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size. Fully charges iPhone 6 with some juice left over., November 20, 2014
The size of this is great in that it can easily fit in your pocket, purse, backpack. And it only weights about as much as 6 U.S. quarters.

I tested charging the device using an iMac, MacBook Pro and a Belkin wall socket USB charger. Charges just fine with all of them.

I tested it to charge an iPhone 6 and 4S, and iPad, and it works on all of them. I did NOT get the 'not compatible' message some accessories cause with Apple mobile devices.

I initially had some concern with the flashlight button since I was planning on having this in my pocket or wife's purse. After getting it, I can see that the button is in a place where it could get accidentally turned on if it were in your pocket/purse/bag with other items. I have not had this happen, but it really does not take much force on the button to turn it on.

The flashlight is really bright with 3 settings. I never thought I would have much interest in a light on my battery backup, but it sort of makes sense now, and I find it quite useful.

Like most microUSB plugs, it is a tight fit to get the plug inserted. Once in, the LED turns red. Once it is fully charged, the LED goes out. I wouldn't call the LED 'too bright', but bright enough to notice in a well lit room.

My main concern only applies if you unscrew the device. The end cap unscrews to open it, something you will likely not have to do in order to use the device. I found that the battery is connected to the end cap by two wires, and that's it! There is not cradle or compartment that holds it place, so when you open it the two soldered wires are spinning the battery int he device until it comes out. This is NOT something you want to do often since it will likely break the battery wires.

The battery is not a consumer replaceable item. This is a special order item that you would have to solder in to replace.

So farm I highly recommend this device to be your backup for phones and other mobile devices.

Zeetron LED Light up Charge Sync Cable For iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, 5, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, Mini, iPod 5th Gen Retail Packaging (Lightning)
Offered by Zeetron

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPhone 6, great quality and construction. Seriously: smells like flowers?, November 20, 2014
Pleasantly surprised by how well made and useful this is!

The overall construction of the unit is very good, and the LED part that plugs into the phone is solid and of high quality.

The LED is bright and quite useful for finding the end of the cable in the dark. Great for when it falls to the floorboards of your car and you're trying to plug it in (while you're at a stop light, of course not while driving!)

When the cable LED is blue when just the USB side is plugged into power, and turns red when plugged into a phone that is not at 100%. Some reviewers said it turns blue at 96% and above, but I have not experienced that with mine. It seems it prefers to reach 99% or more to turn blue.

The first time I plugged it in (phone side first, then USB), it seemed to take a couple seconds for the phone to start charging. If I plug in the USB side first then the phone, it has little to no delay. My guess is that the LED part needs to charge up before it starts to send a full signal to the phone.

Works fine as an OEM charge cord replacement. Note that some cables have issue with being recognized my an iPhone, so they don't allow syncing to your computer or other device. This cable works perfectly and syncs just fine.

One odd note: the smell of the cable reminds me of... lavender or other flowery scent. No, seriously, it smells like flowers of some kind. No rubbery or plastic-y smell, just flowers. Kind of interesting and not what I expected.

New! Joy Baby Soft Flexible Silicone Waterproof Foodcatcher Baby Bibs (Pack of 2) (Pink & Yellow (Pack of 2))
Offered by Med Shop & Beyond
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean, should be the last 2 bibs you need., November 13, 2014
Thankfully the bibs are very lightweight. I was expecting them to be heavier from what I saw in the pictures.

The silicone has a bit more plastic-y feel to it than I have felt with other brands. But still very flexible and sits nicely on my son's chest.

The adjustable neck piece is nice and thick and is pretty easy to get on/off. I originally had some concern with it being too thin and cutting into him when he pulled on it, but it turned out to be thicker than I imagined (about the thickness of a pencil.) The adjustable part holds ok, but my son is pretty strong and can pull it off simply by pulling down on the bib.

The catch tray holds about 2-cups of water to give you an estimate on size.

No mention of dishwasher safe, but based on feel I would recommend you handwash it (I think the heat would shorten it's life a bit.) It's pretty easy to clean anyway.

Overall, nice construction and good design on the adjustable next piece. minus one star for the fact that my (strong) 9-month old son can still pull it off quite easily, defeating the purpose.

Vetiver Essential Oil | 100% Organic Therapeutic Grade | 10ml ★ Best Quality
Vetiver Essential Oil | 100% Organic Therapeutic Grade | 10ml ★ Best Quality

5.0 out of 5 stars That scent! If this doesn't conjure up memories of camping and woods I don't know what will. Calming too., November 10, 2014
I had never heard of vetiver before this, but after reading the reviews about how it smelled I knew I had to get it. I also had read that the scent can be good for treating shock and is calming/soothing.

The bottle itself is very small, about the size of an adult thumb. It comes with a plastic piece int he neck of the bottle that will only allow a tiny drop out at a time (this is removable.) It also has a good sealing cap. I say this because you would NOT want to spill this: the scent is incredibly strong at even the smallest amounts.

The scent...I read all about it and thought I was ready for it. But, I wasn't. And I hear—like wine—everyone smells something different in vetiver. When I tried a tiny drop rubbed onto the back of my hand, I spent a full 30 minutes smelling it again and again as I worked around the house. It was so familiar, and incredibly calming. It smelled like memories, no joke. It conjured up all those camping trips I had as a kid in the woods. To me it reminds me of the woods, earthy, woodsy, a bit of leather and some moss. Yet, there are notes of woodsy spices, like cinnamon. It's like nothing I have ever smelled before. And I love it (in small doses.)

I found that the scent lasted through some light handwashings, and subdued a bit after about 8 hours. But, it definitely lingered a bit.

When you try this for the first time, I highly recommend you simply tip the bottle onto a finger (a fraction of a drop) and rub it into the back of your hand. That way you can get a feel for the smell as you work, but not have it too close to your face. A little goes a long way!

[Apple MFI Certified] Honeywell 8-Pin Lightning to USB Sync and Charger Cable Cord with Ultra-Compact Connector Head (3.2 Feet / 1 Meter) Made For iPhone 6 / 6 Plus / 5S / 5C / 5 / iPad Air / iPad Mini / Retina / iPad 4th generation, iPod 5th generation and iPod nano 7th generation - Red
Offered by Honeywell Connection
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable that works with the iPhone 6. Perfect OEM replacement., November 6, 2014
I found this cable to be an exact replacement for my OEM iPhone 5/6 Lightening cable. The iPhone recognizes it as an accepted accessory (meaning it doesn't flash a message saying otherwise, which happens with some other cables.) The connectors are exactly the same form and size as the OEM version, with the cable itself with the same rubberized surface.

The Lightening and USB connectors fit exactly as the OEM version, and all apps seem to recognize the phone just fine. Note that this cable is "Apple MFI Certified, meaning you should have no problems with chargers or desktop apps or syncing (again, not all cables out there perform like OEM cables.)

Packaging (not pictured at time of writing) is high-end, glossy show boxes meant to break this cable out from the cheaper versions on the shelf. The cable is also packed in a circle/coil, not a figure-8 loop (which I feel tends to over-bend the cables.) I was pleasantly surprised when I got it since almost every other cable I have received lately came in a clear plastic bag with cheap paper label and coiled up without care.

NOTE: Tip to tip, my cable measured 38.25-inches (97.15 cm, just shy of the "1.0 meter" stated above and on box.)

I like that the cable appears to be an exact production of the OEM version (just in red and black) and the connections were solid. I really like that the cable straightened out very easily and didn't fight me, so this cable gets a thumbs up from me.

6-pcs Cable Organizer/Clips/Drop/Cord - Ideal for Different Size Cable Management - 30day Money Back Guarantee - Colorful Cable Organizer Clamps That Keep Your Cables Neat and Organize - Multipurpose Cable Clips, Lightweight, Smart, Fashionable Cable Cords for Home and Office Use - Adhesive Tape At the Back of Cable Clips Allows You to Stick It Anywhere - Good Quality Cable Cord Easily Removable and Extended - One Pack with 6 cable clips (Color May Vary)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cable stays, but adhesive backing could easily be improved., November 6, 2014
I mainly used these to hold my laptop cables to the desk and stand. I have a power cord, Thunderbolt cable (monitor) and headphones running through them. I'm up around the office a lot, so these plugs get connected and disconnected a couple dozen times a day. This cable stays helped me from having to fish them out from falling behind the desk and stand.

The stays are very lightweight and somewhat pliable (while still having resistance to keep the cables in the slots.)

All of the Apple cords work well, and in some cases (like the Lightening cord) you could put a couple in one side of the stay. Should accommodate most cords. Though—it may not be obvious—these do NOT accommodate those large flat HDMI cables.

I stuck one of the cable stays to my laptop stand (a metal Rain stand) and came in the next day to find it had fallen off. The adhesive film is stuck to the stand while the squishy backing is stuck to the stay (see photo I uploaded.) I stuck the stay back on and it worked, but I think it may fall off again down the road.

Didn't think I was going to like the colors, but it really helps it stand out against the desk so I can find them easily.

My suggestion would be to improve the adhesive backing, then you have a 5-star product. Keep in mind that these are really designed to keep the cable accessible and not fall behind the desk, not hold any amount of weight.
Comment Comment | Permalink