Profile for Gregg Schaeffer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gregg Schaeffer "bluesman" RSS Feed (Kansas, USA)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, March 5, 2013
I get acute bronchitis about once a year. This time, after two weeks of coughing up thick sputum, going through an entire asthma inhaler and two bottles of Mucinex, I decided to try something different. The girl at my local food co-op recommended Clearlungs Extra Strength. Five minutes after taking two capsules, I began coughing productively. Eight hours later, I took two more capsules, and went to bed. An hour later, I woke up with an extremely productive cough. After another couple hours of sleep, I woke up again to find my lungs clear! Free breathing, no wheezing, symptoms simply are gone!

I was amazed at the speed and effectiveness of this product. I plan to keep a bottle of it permanently in my medicine cabinet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 6:55 PM PDT

Sony SLV-D300P Progressive-Scan DVD-VCR Combo
Sony SLV-D300P Progressive-Scan DVD-VCR Combo
12 used & new from $55.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, May 29, 2012
I bought this unit new in the summer of 2003. Both VCR and DVD player worked well. About a week later, the DVD player began pausing, pixelating any DVD I tried to play. The Eject command didn't respond, either via remote or directly on the unit. I returned the unit to my place of purchase, exchanged it for an identical unit. Within a short time, the DVD player began malfunctioning as before. I returned again to the place of purchase, was told I'm not allowed any more returns on this unit.

So now, nine years later, the VCR still works great, but the DVD player has not worked, virtually since I brought it home.

Two stars for the VCR which still works.

The American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1969, Vol. 3
The American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1969, Vol. 3
DVD ~ Muddy Waters
Price: $15.77
35 used & new from $11.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat for newbies and diehard fans alike, October 3, 2004
This DVD surpassed my highest expectations. When I ordered the DVD, I was not aware that these performances were all taken from European TV shows. I thought that these performances were actually recorded live at the Festival, and was expecting grainy pictures and poor audio quality. Imagine my surprise at seeing Buddy Guy introduce Big Mama Thornton as she walks out onto an indoor stage set, not unlike that of "Saturday Night Live". Despite the black and white picture, I felt like I was really there in the studio while she sang! The audio quality is really good.

In any context, on any stage, these performers all have presence to spare. Considering the source (Euro TV) and the age of the film (some over 40 years old), I was completely blown away. There's no disappointment anywhere in this DVD, and what a great variety of classic blues! Electric guitars, acoustic guitars, slide guitar work, male vocalists, female vocalists, Chicago style, Delta style, slow tunes, upbeat tunes, this DVD has it all, by the absolute best in the business!

I would strongly recommend this DVD to anyone. Whether you are new to the blues, a diehard fan like myself, or just want to see the direct ancestors of your favorite rock bands, check out this DVD.

Street Party
Street Party
Price: $16.14
56 used & new from $0.57

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but...., September 20, 2004
This review is from: Street Party (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge blues fan! Until last year, I performed blues music almost exclusively for 15 years, as a singer and guitarist. I absolutely love SRV, Fabulous Thunderbirds, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Bluesbreakers-era Clapton. I think blues music is the one type of music that can directly move people in their hearts most effectively.

The horn section on this record is tight, the vocals passioned, and the guitar playing funky! Everybody here sounds very proficient and professional. So why didn't I rate this record higher? After lots of thought, I decided that this record just sounds too CLEAN. If anything, the band is too tight, the tempos too strict. I realize this is a studio album, not a live performance, but this album just sounds too polished for a blues record. The raw emotion and heart-shaking sincerity that makes great blues music just isn't here. Listening to this record, I could hear the sound of a band that has played together countless nights and can effortlessly hit every note, lay down every groove, get the tempo of each song just right, yet I couldn't hear anybody having FUN. And having fun is what I love most about music.