Profile for D. Henderson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 112

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Henderson RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Sprouting Broccoli Seeds, One Pound - Todd's Seeds
Sprouting Broccoli Seeds, One Pound - Todd's Seeds
Offered by Online Distribution, Inc.
Price: $16.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but you really need to presoak, August 11, 2014
I purchased a pound of these broccoli sprouting seeds from a Fulfilled by Amazon vender and used them in my Handy Pantry 3 Tray Stackable Sprout Garden tray. I was disappointed with the low germination rate (about 20%) but found that by soaking them for at least 4-5 hours, the germination rate went up to 70%. I have not been able to get the germination rate any higher. I hoped for and expected a better germination rate (at least 90%). I purchased some organic broccoli seeds locally and I got about 90% germination without soaking those seeds in my same sprouting tray. I used the locally bought seeds first before using the Todd's seeds. Unfortunately, with a vacation and other things I had to deal with, I was beyond the 30 day return date for my Fulfilled by Amazon order.

WonderShop Brand New HP Mobile Officejet Printer C8263A Li-ion 2200mAh Battery for H470 and Deskjet 450 and 470 Series

2.0 out of 5 stars Had a problem with this one, October 14, 2013
I was hoping that this generic replacement battery would work just as well as HP's OEM (original equipment manufacturer) battery. While the form factor is the same, for some reason, this one will not securely stay attached to my HP 460 printer. I have to wiggle the battery to get a proper connection with the printer and the battery falls off my printer if the battery is touched slightly. While my OEM battery is still working, it's beginning to show its age and is requiring more frequent charges between printing jobs. But at least the OEM battery firmly stays on the back of my printer.

Fortunately, this was a fulfilled by Amazon and Amazon's return policy saved my day.

Guess I will order OEM.

KOHLER K-6665-G Wellspring Beverage Faucet, Brushed Chrome
KOHLER K-6665-G Wellspring Beverage Faucet, Brushed Chrome
Price: $224.03
5 used & new from $109.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice auxiliary or beverage faucet for any carbon-block water filter system, December 26, 2012
The sink deck mounted faucet on my 15 year old Amway water filter sprung a leak from the swivel tube and replacing the O-rings didn't help. While I found an exact replacement AFTER I found this faucet (for less than $30 at a local home center), I still installed this faucet after really researching what's out there and calling Kohler's help line to make sure that I could use it to replace my existing faucet.

This faucet has a stainless steel braided hose with a 3/8" female threaded end. I used a 3/8" brass compression union to connect this faucet to my water filter system with its 3/8" OD polypropylene tubing. Installing the faucet onto the sink deck was a breeze without the need for a helper to hold the faucet in place while I tighten the retaining nut from below. The faucet stayed in place and is held in place with a anchor plate and long hex nut that tightened with a nut driver. I like that this faucet works like a regular faucet so flow rate is easy to adjust.

And I really like the life-time guarantee since all the other faucets like it have no warranty or to up to two year warranty against leaks. I don't want to worry about having to replace the faucet (and those multiple trips to a plumbing store). While it is a bit expensive for an auxiliary faucet, I think it should be the last faucet I need to buy.

Note that this faucet is not intended for use with reverse-osmosis water systems but are for carbon-block water systems.

PROS:
Easy one-person installation.
Easy to adjust water flow.
Lifetime guarantee.

CONS:
A bit expensive for an auxiliary faucet, but it should be the last one I need to buy.

Wusthof 5-in. Gourmet Sandwich Spreader.
Wusthof 5-in. Gourmet Sandwich Spreader.
Offered by LUCY'S HOME GOOD'S
Price: $19.95
7 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a bread knife with a large spreader's head, May 30, 2011
This Wusthof "spreader" combines a serrated bread knife with a spreader head. The knife edge side has serrated pointed teeth like a bread or tomato knife which makes it easier for me when I cut sandwiches, slice bagels, slice crusty rolls, and even slice tomatoes. The knife/spreader is just under 9 ½" long (from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle). The blade is both longer (just under 4 ¾") and the head of the knife is wider (just under 1 ¾" at its widest) than the spreader knife I use. There is just under 3 ¼" of serrations from the lower tip of the front of the knife going back to the handle. And the remaining edge is a straight knife blade that is a little over 1 ¾" long. Because this knife has no pointed tip, it takes just a bit of patience to carefully make that first opening in a bagel or roll before I can really begin slicing. Because this knife has sharp edges, use care if you have young kids helping to make sandwiches.

I prefer to put on spread using the non-serrated side of the knife but I'll have to keep the serrated side of the knife in mind when I put icing on things like cupcakes to put on fancy swirls.

This Wusthof's Gourmet knife has what I'll call a full half tang. Huh? I can see a full tang on top of the handle while the bottom of the handle has no exposed tang. I'm guessing this gives the knife strength and me control when cutting. I like the fit between the tang and the handle: there is no gap just like any better quality knife.

The instruction on the back of the blister package says they recommend hand washing the knife. Heck, it even recommends storing this knife in a knife block or basically treating the knife like it's a cutlery knife. So I wash this knife by hand and I use a knife guard to store this knife in my knife drawer.

PROS:
Combines a tomato/bread knife with a spreader so you can use one knife for making sandwiches or preparing your morning bagels.

A larger head means less scooping from a jar and fewer strokes to put on spread.

The longer blade means you can reach the bottom of most jars.

CONS
The wider head may make it difficult to get into some jar necks when compared with other spreaders.

Wusthof Gourmet 5-Inch Spreader
Wusthof Gourmet 5-Inch Spreader
Offered by BigKitchen
Price: $15.95
14 used & new from $15.95

PROS:

The longer blade means you can reach the bottom of most jars.

CONS

Kuchenprofi 6-Piece 3-Inch Food Prep/Plating/Forming Rings in 18/10 Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars How to play with your food or try artistry on your dinner plate, May 21, 2011
This box is a set of six 3" rings. I like the 2" high sides of these rings. That gives me plenty of height to make decent plated dishes. Since I also bought three sets of the Kuchenprofi Prep/Plating/ Forming Rings, Set of 4 and also a set of the Kuchenprofi 4-Piece 3-Inch Food prep/Plating/Forming Rings in 18/10 Stainless Steel I bought this set so I have extras for making a complete dinner party worth of food.

These rings are made with a welded seam but the wall of each ring has been highly polished and is very smooth. I can barely feel and see the seams. They are made from a heavy gauge stainless steel so the weight is good and they will hold up without bending. Unlike plating rings made from rolled tin-plated steel, there are no rolled edges to trap food particles. Also, the tin plated steel rings cannot be washed in a dishwasher.

Besides using these as plating rings, I have been using them as egg rings and they work, even better than the non-stick egg rings I used to use! Yes, these rings are about double the height of my regular egg rings and these plating rings have no handle but that has not been a problem. To use them as egg rings, I preheat them in my All-Clad Copper Core 12-Inch Fry Pan on the lowest heat (I have a gas range) for 10 minutes. Then, I place about less than a quarter teaspoon of butter in each ring (for four rings) allow the butter to melt, and brush the melted butter (with my Oxo Good Grips Silicone Pastry Brush) on the bottom and up the sides of each ring just to the point where the eggs sit. Once the eggs set, I can remove the rings (using a kitchen towel since I'm still working on getting my asbestos fingers) and the eggs released without me having to scrape the rings to release the eggs! When I use my non-stick egg rings I usually have the scrape those rings with my iSi Basics Silicone Slim Spatula, White to release the eggs. And there is no need to baby these rings like the non-stick rings so I don't have to worry about scratching a non-stick coating. Washing these rings are as easy as putting them in my dishwasher.

I can also use these as biscuit cutters. I'm sure they will see plenty of other uses in my kitchen.

PROS:
2" height provides plenty of height for decent sized plated dishes.
No rolled edges to hide food particles.
Can be used as egg rings.
Dishwasher safe.
Made in Germany and not in China.

CONS:
A bit expensive so they are an investment.

APC Power-Saving Performance SurgeArrest, 11 Outlets with Phone and Video Protection, 120V
Offered by Express Goods
Price: $49.70
78 used & new from $39.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient way to save some money for those electronics that shouldn't need electricity when you're not using them, April 13, 2011
Besides giving my electronics protection against power spikes, I can save some money on electricity. The instructions are pretty simple. There is one outlet that controls power to all but three other outlets. Only when I turn on that one device (like the TV or big screen) will it give power to the other devices. There is a push button that you hold down for at least three to 4 seconds to turn the power save feature on and off (and a LED lights up or turns off). This strip is also helping me save power by preventing me from accidentally turning the DVD or VHS player on when the TV or big screen is not turned on. This is so easy to do when I accidentally bump the power button on those remotes.

All the outlets are surge protected including the phone line input (one telephone line in, two telephone lines out). Note that there are no "always on" outlets. What this means is that if you turn the power switch to the "off" position, every outlet is turned off. On the good side, the power strip remembers if the power save mode was on after a power failure.

The three outlets that are not power save ones are spaced so you can plug those oversized transformer plugs in them. The same is true for two of the 7 power save outlets. In total, you get 11 outlets: four outlets that are not power save and seven that are power save.

I like that the power plug is a right angle plug that takes up less room. It is a good 6 foot length so I can plug it in and place it in a convenient place.

While there are 4 mounting holes in the back for hanging the strip, there is no template included to make it easy to drill holes in the right locations.

It comes with a telephone line and a short coax cable.

PROS:
Simple controls
Convenient way to save some electricity

CONS:
No "always" on outlets.
No mounting template to help drill holes if you want to mount the strip.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2011 1:51 PM PST

No Title Available

It comes with a telephone line and a short coax cable.

PROS:
Simple controls
Convenient way to save some electricity

CONS:
No "always" on outlets.

APC P11GTV 11-OUTLET PERFORMANCE SURGEARREST
APC P11GTV 11-OUTLET PERFORMANCE SURGEARREST
Offered by Smart Toners
Price: $79.99

It comes with a telephone line and a short coax cable.

PROS:
Simple controls
Convenient way to save some electricity

CONS:
No "always" on outlets.

Price: $22.25
4 used & new from $22.25

5.0 out of 5 stars How to play with your food or try artistry on your dinner plate, April 10, 2011
This box is a set of four 3" rings. I like the 2" high sides of these rings. That gives me plenty of height to make decent plated dishes. Since I also bought two sets of the Kuchenprofi Prep/Plating/ Forming Rings, Set of 4 I bought this set so I have extras for making a complete dinner party worth of food.

PROS:
2" height provides plenty of height for decent sized plated dishes.
No rolled edges to hide food particles.
Can be used as egg rings.
Dishwasher safe.
Made in Germany and not in China.

CONS:
A bit expensive so they are an investment.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12