Profile for LisaS > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LisaS RSS Feed

Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100
Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100
by Maoshing Ni
Price: $13.21
336 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dense with good, solid information, August 20, 2013
I've owned this book for several years - first in French, then more recently in English. It is dense with solid health information to reflect upon and try to incorporate into one's life, and over the years, I have never tired of picking it up and reading it, even if it's just a few pages to refresh my memory on certain topics. If you are into natural health and longevity or would like to learn more, this is a great book to have in your library.

Quick Vegetarian Pleasures: More than 175 Fast, Delicious, and Healthy Meatless Recipes
by Jeanne Lemlin
Price: $12.66
227 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars still a great cookbook after all these years, July 25, 2013
If you are looking for a vegetarian cookbook, this is still a great one to have onhand. I found it in an old box of my college things and have started using it again. The recipes don't feel dated at all.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.76

4.0 out of 5 stars well-written, learned a lot, July 25, 2013
This is just one of many books I have bought and am reading on the subject of natural health, food, farming, etc. Kingsolver is a great writer and I enjoyed & learned much from her viewpoints.

Advantage Liquid Concentrate - (ALC)- 6 Pack- Wisdom of the Ages
Advantage Liquid Concentrate - (ALC)- 6 Pack- Wisdom of the Ages
Offered by Vital Health Remedies
Price: $93.41
2 used & new from $92.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Have used it for years and it works, July 25, 2013
I bought this product as a natural anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent, and have used it both internally and externally for a variety of uses. It works.

Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
by Guy Delisle
Price: $17.34
69 used & new from $10.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it, May 8, 2013
I read the French version of the book, and thoroughly enjoyed the writing, the insights, the humor and the illustrations. For one week, it was my bedtime reading - a pleasant way to end the day.

While I've been to Jerusalem, I still enjoyed experiencing it via the author in this totally different manner. Guy Delisle's books are the first books of cartoons I've bought since Calvin & Hobbes - very different, but a very good choice. Readers will discover this expat's view of life in Jerusalem (a husband whose wife is sent by Medecin sans frontieres to work in the Palestinian territories). Both serious and comical travelogue reflections combined with simple, yet effective illustrations. Those who have never been to Israel will learn a lot. Those who enjoy relaxing with cartoons will also appreciate it.

After reading this, I also bought Pyongyang and the Burma Chronicles. The enjoyment continues...

The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
by Anne Stratton
Price: $27.00
134 used & new from $4.32

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a vegetarian, but this is one of my fave cookbooks of all time, May 8, 2013
I'm addicted to cookbooks, so I own and look at a lot of them. I don't usually buy Italian cookbooks as it is a cuisine that I feel I know fairly well. That said, this is one of my favorite cookbooks of all time.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I love vegetables and often eat meals without meat. This book never fails to inspire me when I pick it up. Well presented, no nonsense, nice use of vegetables and an intelligent selection of healthful recipes. Delicious. A great, great book - even after all this time. Too bad that more people haven't heard of it.

The Rough Guide to World Music : Volume 1 (Rough Guide Reference)
The Rough Guide to World Music : Volume 1 (Rough Guide Reference)
by Simon Broughton
29 used & new from $11.53

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT reference guide to world music, May 8, 2013
These Rough Guide volumes are the only truly comprehensive World Music Guides I have seen - full of specific lists of album and song titles to go in search of. While I don't always agree with the writers' taste or recommended recordings, there is no doubt that these World Music volumes are an invaluable reference in the field. Music lovers unfamiliar with world music will feel that the have suddenly happened upon a treasure chest of gold that opens up a whole new world... These volumes serve as an excellent discovery guide for approaching and buying the music of less commercial regions of the globe - however, for this reason, some recordings are not available on Amazon. Readers in large cities may have easier access to recordings via their public library or musicians passing through in concert. Depending on the artist, Youtube can sometimes be of help. As I love African music, this was my favorite volume of all. Enjoy!

Second Spring: Dr. Mao's Hundreds of Natural Secrets for Women to Revitalize and Regenerate at Any Age
by Maoshing Ni
Price: $14.48
146 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great natural health advice & considerations for women approaching menopause and beyond, May 8, 2013
I had previously purchased "Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100" and loved it, so I knew the basic format of Maoshing Ni's books.

Like "Secrets of Longevity", "Second Spring" is jam-packed with natural health info that is difficult to fully digest in one go. It is a book to be read and reread, highlighting the text that is most relevant to you at that moment in time. However, rather than reading like a dense medical encyclopedia, most recommendations are presented simply, on one page. I personally think it is also makes relaxing bedtime reading.

My opinion of this book gets better and better over time. As women's bodies are in constant flux at this important stage in life, I keep going back to it periodically, as certain passages take on new meaning (or urgency). Each time I read it, I notice different things and decide to incorporate new elements into my routine.

Potential readers should not worry if they are not an adept of Oriental medicine. I have seen Maoshing Ni's information posts on the Dr. Oz website, so Dr. Oz fans would also find much to appreciate in this book.

Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About
Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About
by Kevin Trudeau
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.26
508 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Many things now discussed on Dr. Oz were already introduced in Kevin Trudeau's book, May 8, 2013
In 2007, as a result of unexpected health problems, I developed an interest in natural health cures and came upon two books that helped me pave the way for a new outlook on health & nutrition. The first was Phyllis Balch's "Prescription for Nutritional Healing", and the second was Kevin Trudeau's book "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About".

This book not only made me think, it opened my eyes to many new health, nutritional and environmental considerations - and also to the tactics of food and pharmaceutical companies. Contrary to what other reviewers state, I found extremely helpful advice that I have incorporated into my life in the sections on "Why We Are Sick", "How to never get sick again", and "How to read food labels", to name a few.

Today, certain ideas in this book are perhaps less revolutionary than they were at the time of publication. Many are now becoming more familiar and mainstream in America due to Dr. Oz and others. In fact, when I watch Dr. Oz, I am amazed at the number of things that Dr. Oz & his guests discuss that were already mentioned in this Trudeau book (first published in 2004!). One recent example: On May 8th, 2013, Dr Oz has a segment called "Breaking News: Is Sunscreen Dangerous?". Kevin Trudeau had already stated that sunscreens were dangerous in this book - and his philosophy of "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin" is proved right time and time again as various ingredients in skin & beauty products are proven to be bad for one's health.

In my mind, this is not a book for the mildly curious, but best for those who are truly serious about living a healthier life and ready to take action. Do I agree with everything Trudeau says? No (for example, dianetics and scientology auditing), but 90% of it, I do.

Note: I never tried to buy from his website, so I cannot comment on anything related to it. I got what I needed by incorporating certain new habits into my routine and purchasing what I decided I needed at natural food stores, farmers' markets and ethnic markets. Not everything that Kevin advised was in my budget - but there were many things I could do - and those (along with items mentioned in the Balch book) made a huge difference.

Defamation of Strickland Banks
Defamation of Strickland Banks
Price: $11.98
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars modern Smokey Robinson Motown sound..., April 10, 2011
A surprising sound from a British rapper - modern Motown melodies delivered with a Smokey Robinson-infused voice. Nice.

The fictional Strickland Banks makes for an interesting story-telling concept that unites all the songs. 'Welcome to Hell' became a quick favorite, followed by the soft rap of 'What You Gonna Do'. That said, I'm not as fond of the rap passages in several other songs, but non-rap fans have plenty to choose from.

Prediction: This new Motown sound would normally have massive mainstream appeal once it reaches American audiences, but the obvious use of the word "f**k" in certain songs will be a barrier for some (it's not overly used, but definitely present). Despite the sweet Smokey voice and amazing Motown-inspired tunes, don't forget that Plan B is still a rapper...a multi-talented rapper/singer/songwriter with a highly enjoyable album.