Profile for Kendall L. Vaughan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kendall L. Vaughan RSS Feed (Mukilteo, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - 6 PC [Download]
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - 6 PC [Download]

1.0 out of 5 stars No 3rd party upgrade option???!!!, April 22, 2015
You have got to be kidding me! Adobe has had multiple security breaches on their website which lost customer's credit card data and now the only way that we can order updates is by giving Adobe our credit card data???? I don't think so!! Adobe simply has too much competition in this area to continue to deal with them. Products like CaptureOne Pro and the new (free) Affinity Photo are becoming very popular alternatives to LR.

LR Mobile is basically a crippled version of the desktop so not much to get excited about there. Might as well get a laptop and use the much better Mac/Windows version if I need to go mobile and doing that won’t require any subscription service.

Update: Before I wrote this review I was told by THREE Adobe employees that Lightroom was not available for purchase by 3rd party stores. After writing this review a couple of commenters told me that you can order through PayPal on adobe.com. I am not sure what is going on. If the LR6 upgrade is available at 3rd party stores then why are MULTIPLE employees telling me it isn’t available from the 3rd party. Frankly I don’t even want to give Adobe my email address since you know you are going to get a million emails a day nagging you to move off LR6 and over to Creative Cloud just like how Adobe nags you with web banners when you browse the internet. No thank you.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 1:51 PM PDT

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 - Mac [Download]
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 - Mac [Download]

1.0 out of 5 stars No 3rd party upgrade???!!!, April 22, 2015

Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2015 3:12 PM PDT

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6
4 used & new from $149.00

1.0 out of 5 stars No 3rd party upgrade option???!!!, April 22, 2015

Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2015 11:26 PM PDT

Eight Arms To Hold You
Eight Arms To Hold You
Price: $3.99
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my favorite album of this genre. Why did they stop?, January 1, 2015
This review is from: Eight Arms To Hold You (Audio CD)
I remember reading about their break up in Rolling Stone trying to figure out why they would part after releasing such a successful album. Sometimes groups will go on to start up other successful projects but I believe that the albums suffered after the Nina and Loise split. They still recorded some good songs separately but the albums as a whole were generally less consistent. I think Nina should have recorded solo albums and still stayed in VS. Many songs off her first album would have fit very well on a VS album and could have replaced some of the lesser songs that were put out on the Loise lead version of the band.

The album seems every bit as good as other similar albums that were hailed as classics such as Live Through This, I would even argue that it is just a bit better given that there are no tracks I would cut from it. That record had tons of hits constantly played on the radio while this one only had one major hit and I find that hard to understand. There are so many songs on here that are on par with Volcano Girls why wasn't radio and MTV playing it? Fortunately the 90s lineup is back together and recording a new album although they are doing it way too late. I caught them preforming some of the new material on tour I am glad they finally made it back together eventually. Also I should point out that the post Eight Arms albums are worth checking out though they are more uneven.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan (Photoshop CC + Lightroom) [Digital Membership]
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Ditto to all the criticism everyone is saying about moving to subscription..., December 29, 2014
But I just wanted to add one point for people that primarily do work in web design and interface design. There are many great solutions out there that best Photoshop in almost every area. Bohemian Coding's new app Sketch is one serious competitor to Photoshop these days. One of the apps main advantages is that it focuses entirely on web and interface design so you don't have to drudge through all of Photoshops bloat to be able to find the features that you are looking for. This is the way that it always should have worked but Adobe axed several applications that have worked this way (this last year they killed the once great Fireworks and a number of years earlier they discontinued ImageReady.)

Tools are incredibly easy to find in Sketch, no digging through endlessly long menus with endlessly long submenus. The features that you see in Sketch for $80 are roughly the same ones you will see in Photoshop with many features debuting in Sketch first. This is one of those rare products that is both vastly better and vastly cheaper then the competition. I encourage you to search feature comparisons between Photoshop and Sketch. You might find that you will be perfectly happy with an older subscription free version of Photoshop (such as CS6) and then just let Sketch handle all the new web design features. A major upgrade to Sketch has been teased as of 3/22/14 so expect Sketch's few short comings to get ironed out very quickly.

UPDATE: I have been using the new version 3 of Sketch for several weeks now and it is awesome! Version 2 was already very good and they still managed to make version 3 way better. Now includes support for symbols and a very easy and powerful way to export images.

Thanks to everyone who marked my review as helpful and even to those few Adobe employees who marked it as unhelpful!! I am glad you are reading these reviews so you can learn more about how your competition is going to thoroughly wipe you out in the next few years! Cheers!

PS It has been helpful to me to hear the reviewers on this page talk about competition to Photoshop I was not aware of. Sketch focuses on webdesign like I said but I would be interested in replacing Photoshop in other areas besides web design as well.

UPDATE 9/24/14: I just recently came across another really good replacement for Adobe software that in many cases blows the Adobe option out of the water. I spent almost all of today working with Serif's Affinity Designer and it is a really incredible alternative to Illustrator. Since a lot of designers use Photoshop and Illustrator closely together to draw I thought it would be appropriate to mention it here on the Photoshop page.

I was one of those people who was very frustrated when Adobe killed Freehand to replaced it with Illustrator which I always loathed. I am so glad to see that Affinity Designer seems to have the user friendliness of Freehand and yet also has powerful features that surpass many of Adobe's features. I will just briefly mention a few of my favorites.

- Affinity has lots of live actions you can view by scrolling through a list. This one is a big time saver. If you ever wanted to see what a blending mode looked like on an object without having to click each blend mode one at a time down a list of 26 blend modes you can do that in Affinity Designer. You simply move your mouse over each blending mode and the object changes as you go down the list. This functionality works across many areas of the app. You also can use it as a quick way to scrub through the history panel as well.

- The eyedropper tool works across different programs to pick up a color you want to include in your design. This is really helpful as half the time I want to select a color outside of the drawing program.

- The company has worked on a rotation canvas feature that allows for better arm angles when you draw on a tablet. Photoshop users will be familiar with this feature but Adobe never moved it over to their drawing app where it really belongs. One of the developers showed it off on their forum page and it seemed to work just as well as it does in Photoshop. The feature will be available in a later version.

- Serif is planning on releasing a whole Affinity suite that will also have competitors to InDesign and Photoshop. Interestingly enough the software suite should rely on a single file format that will be used across their whole line of apps. At this time only the illustration program has been released but the other apps will be coming out very soon. A Photoshop competitor should be out in a couple months or so. What I really like about this company is when I use their product I keep thinking "this was what I kept waiting for Adobe to do years ago but they never did".

Occasionally I hear people talk about how Adobe has become mature and all the major features to their programs have already been added. I think it should be clear that software like Sketch, Affinity Designer, and Pixelmator are proving that wrong.

Also I expect there to be a lot more competition to Lightroom in the future. Lightroom is still a very immature program and has a lot of opportunity for competitors to take advantage of it's weaknesses. Capture One Pro just came out with a new update and it looks like good competition to Lightroom. The touch version of Pixelmator just came out and I can't find a review that doesn't say that it is substantially better / more feature rich then the touch version of PS. Expect a flood of Adobe competitors to keep surpassing their products. There is not much reason to join Adobe's subscription service and keep paying for their mediocre updates.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 11:04 AM PST

Apple Mac Mini MGEM2LL/A Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)
Apple Mac Mini MGEM2LL/A Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)
Offered by DataVision Computer Video
Price: $497.00
7 used & new from $438.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Apple rests on it's laurels, December 8, 2014
Speaking as someone who was worked on various models of Minis over the years it has been interesting watching the little computer evolve. It started out as a very slow machine in 2005, then became an okay performing machine in 2009, and later a pretty nice machine in 2012. It made all these speed updates while jettisoning the bulk of the power brick and large DVI port. This made me wonder how they were going to move things forward with the new model after the longest period it has ever gone without an update in it's history. As it turns out Apple has put almost no effort into improving the Mini at all. That's a shame since there are many interesting changes Apple could have made if they wanted to.

The speed could be more competitive with that of the iMac if they offered a high end solid state only version of the Mini. Since solid state drives are smaller then traditional drives this would have freed up much more space that could be used for faster CPUs, GPUs, more ram, etc. With higher specs it could more capably run the higher resolution screens that are coming out these days. No doubt someone is going to tell me that the goal of the Mini is to be a low end computer but that answer is a cop out. Yes, the Mini started out that way but there is no reason it needs to stay focused entirely on the low end market. Many people choose to use Minis over iMacs not for their price but because they like it's portability. With flat panel and big screen TVs all over the place it's nice to have a computer small enough to bring around and plug them in to.

For the people who are going to tell me to use the cloud to transfer files I am sorry but that doesn't work. What happens when you get to your destination just to find out that the computer you will be using is a Windows PC that can't use the same apps that are on your Mac? This does me no good in that situation.

The Minis limited selection of ports is also troublesome. It might seem like a good idea at first to just plug a USB hub into your Mini until you realize just how temperamental USB hubs really are. Some devices work for a while and then fail while other devices will not work on a hub at all. One appealing solution to this problem would be to gradually replace the large USB ports with the smaller thunderbolt ports. This way you could plug lots of devices into your Mini without needing to rely on a hub at all. USB was good when it came out but most computers are too small these days for a port that is that large.

January 2015 Update: Macworld has recently reported that a 2TB option of the Mini has been quietly released as a way to play catch up to the 2012 version. This version improves on the 2012 version in that it is available as a fusion drive and comes with a single drive rather then two drives. That is great news and something that Apple should have announced more vocally when the Mini was refreshed back in October. If Apple continues to gradually improve it's specs over 2015 I will revise my review to reflect the changes. Sadly the pessimist in me thinks that Apple would rather strong arm people into getting an iMac whether or not that is the best thing for their setup.

Focus on the Family's the Truth Project DVD Set
Focus on the Family's the Truth Project DVD Set
7 used & new from $99.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The entire series is based around a straw man argument that has already been debunked 2500 years ago., November 10, 2014
Anyone who has watched this knows what the silly central argument is. It starts with the question “is truth absolute or relative?” Coming to the conclusion that truth is absolute he immediately then assumes that anything different is a demonic lie (yes he actually uses the phrase “demonic lie”.)

The person who asks the question “Is truth absolute or is it relative” is asking the wrong question. The Buddha already dealt with this issue 500 years before Jesus was born. He taught that you can only see truth not speak it. Whenever one attempts to “speak truth” his words become what he would call a frozen view or a conceptualized view.

The Buddha wanted his followers to question his teachings and not to just accept them. I found that when I really thought about what he taught this had been proven to be true in every instance. Yes, many things appeared to be true to me at one time when I heard someone talk about them but upon further investigation there was always another deeper point to learn about it. I found that rather then trying to answer everything it is better to grapple with questions.

The big question I have is why wasn’t the Buddha’s teaching on ultimate Truth investigated when making comparison’s with the different beliefs on what truth is? I wrote another review of the Truth Project here on Amazon five years ago that dealt with the particular failings of the series at large. I then realized that I needed to write a review that pointed out that not only are the particulars false but the entire premise on which the series is founded is based upon a logical fallacy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2014 8:29 PM PST

Truth Project DVD Set (Truth Project Series)
Truth Project DVD Set (Truth Project Series)
by Truth Project Focus On The Family / DVD
Edition: DVD-ROM
8 used & new from $99.00

Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Medium Tablet (PTH651)
Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Medium Tablet (PTH651)
Price: Click here to see our price
18 used & new from $305.00

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Current plugin software is a disaster. Seek out old drivers when using your Pro., September 17, 2014
I am a long time Intuos user starting back with an Intuos 3 a number of years ago, an Intuos 5 last year, and an Intuos Pro this year. I have had no significant problems getting the 3 and 5 to work so I gladly decided to upgrade my 3 to a Pro this year and all hell broke lose. Both my 5 and Pro ceased to function and after doing some research online discover that many people were having problem with the latest driver not with the tablet itself so much. I found that I have had pretty good success running v6.3.7-3 so far.

Unfortunately there is no way to carry my 5's settings over to my Pro which means I have to remember every adjustment I make on one tablet and apply it to the other. This seems unacceptable to me since the the 5 and the Pro have all the same buttons and dials. How easy would it have been to sync the settings between these two tablets?

The only frustrating hardware problem I continue to encounter is that neither the USB port nor WiFi seem to work in a USB hub which is a problem if you have a Mac Mini with only four ports like I do. Also the WiFi feature can't seem to make it though an eight hour work day which is slightly annoying given that every wireless mouse and keyboard I've owned can do this easily.

The good news is tech support seems to care about these problems so hopefully that will result in improvements in the future.

Witness for the Prosecution [Blu-ray]
Witness for the Prosecution [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Tyrone Power
Price: $18.99
24 used & new from $16.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Very complex case story, August 15, 2014
I had to rewatch several parts to understand what was going on since the plot had so many twists and turns.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9