Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Fred Lackey > Reviews

Browse

Fred Lackey's Profile

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Fred Lackey RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
System76 - 15.6" Oryx Pro - 6th Gen i7 Processor, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 120GB M.2 SSD (1st Drive), 250GB M.2 SSD (2nd Drive) (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet & Reliable Desktop Replacement (Horrible Battery), July 6, 2016
In short... the laptop : 3 stars / the company : 5 stars

I've been in contact with System76, the company, about five times so far... both before the laptop arrived and after. They have been great every time. Their attention to detail in the packaging and support are great. Reminds me of Micron or AlienWare before they were bought out.

Aside from the incredibly short battery life (1h:6m), the hardware itself is great. I've heard people complain about the machine being a rebranded Clevo 650SE. Sure, it's true, but who really cares? It's a solid machine and you've got a great company standing behind it. Years ago I built a software company and, to compete with the competition, we had to deliver our product on a rack-mounted "appliance." We too bought OEM machines and slapped on a custom molded grill. So what!?!? As long as the hardware is solid, and the company selling the device is going to support you, then you're covered. On a side note, System76 did a great job with the lid and polishing the machine to really make it feel like a quality custom product.

Attached to my Oryx Pro are two 27" 4k displays, connected via mini display port, and they run flawlessly... along with a USB condenser mic, two USB 3.0 4TB hard drives, two powered 8" studio monitors, and bluetooth keyboard, trackball, and trackpad. The laptop does not overheat and the fans are barely noticeable. Everything you would normally mess with... WiFi, Bluetooth, external peripherals, etc... work just as flawlessly as on my Windows or OSX machines.

The only two issues I've had thus far are with the battery and some hotel WiFi gateways. The battery flat out sucks. With NOTHING connected or apps running, and a fully charged battery, Ubuntu estimates I'll get 1:06 (one hour, six minutes) of run time from the moment I yank the power cord. As for the WiFi, none of the hotels I've stayed at work. I do get connected however only my first request get out (ping by IP, traceroute, etc.). I assume that has something to do with the WiFi driver more than the hardware since disconnecting / reconnecting temporarily solves the problem. Using my phone as a hotspot works flawlessly. I'm knocking off one star each for these issues. It's a laptop and laptops are meant for travel. If I can't work through a flight, or get through ANY hotel's gateway, then I'm not really portable.

Now, all of that said, when it comes to Linux on laptops, this machine has exceeded my expectations. System76 did a great job on their driver pack and Ubuntu works flawlessly because of it. This machine is perfect for someone who wants a quiet and portable desktop-quality Linux box with the ability to go places from time to time... which means they will be okay with remaining plugged in.

Uncle Mike's Off-Duty and Concealment Nylon OT ITP Holster (Black, Size 15, Left Hand)
Price: Click here to see our price
47 used & new from $9.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Only holster I've used for 20+ years., September 28, 2015
Only holster I've bought for 20 years. I carry 24/7 when I'm away and this holster is the most comfortable I've used. Although I am right-handed, I use a left-handed model, inside my pants, in the small of my lower back. My daily carry is currently a G30 45 ACP and it feels perfect even when sitting.

Fiskars Extendable D-handle Stand-up Weeder (4-claw)
Fiskars Extendable D-handle Stand-up Weeder (4-claw)
Price: $36.01
2 used & new from $35.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product / Very Satisfying, September 28, 2015
Very satisfying to yank out the complete weed every time. Best of all, the construction is so good that this product is certainly going to last for decades.

TASCAM TH02-B Closed-Back Stylish Headphone, Black
TASCAM TH02-B Closed-Back Stylish Headphone, Black
Offered by BrooklynSavings
Price: $19.99
11 used & new from $14.72

2.0 out of 5 stars In one word: Ick!, September 28, 2015
Worst pair of headphones I've ever put on. Had to send them back for a refund. Granted, I bought them because I needed an inexpensive pair for a project. However, I would not put these back on if they were FREE.

The padding on the ear cups is so weak that your ears touch the inside wall. And, since the felt inside the ear cup is so thin, the edges of your ear press against the plastic ribs. The plastic used throughout the headphones is thin / brittle / cheap and feels as if it absolutely WILL snap at some point soon. The pivot points are so narrow that the ear cups cannot fit uniformly over your ears.

I have loved every other Tascam products I've ever tried, however I hated these headphones. That being said, they are not BAD headphones. If you need a cheap pair for young / small kids, then they would work great. Just don't buy them for yourself if you have EVER used any type of studio or pro-sumer headphones.

Roadie Tuner Automatic Guitar Tuner
Roadie Tuner Automatic Guitar Tuner
Price: $99.00
11 used & new from $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! BUY THIS NOW!, September 28, 2015
OMG! BUY THIS NOW! I don't know what more to say other than, the Roadie Tuner is absolutely perfect! I love it. I love it. I love it. I've actually bought a second one to tuck away just in case mine ever dies. I use it on my solid body and acoustic guitars and it works perfectly every time.

IK Multimedia iRig HD studio-quality guitar interface for iOS and Mac
IK Multimedia iRig HD studio-quality guitar interface for iOS and Mac
Price: $79.99
29 used & new from $59.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept / Poor Execution, August 25, 2015
I loved the concept when I first played around with it... the app, the multiple sounds, etc. However, the more that I use it, the more flaws I notice.

CLUMSY APP
The concept of the app is great, however the controls are clumsy. There's really no concept of "signal flow" which is critical if want to tweak your sound. However, if you're just looking for a quick "amp sound" for your solid body, it will do the trick. I bought it so I could fool around quietly in the house, without waking anyone up at night, and it works for that. Just don't plan on doing anything more with it.

HEADPHONES
I've now tried three sets of headphones with my iPhone 6 and the results are disappointing (Earbuds and normal studio headphones) Odd things happen with the headphones connected. The end result is I've had to ditch the headphones and use the pathetic speaker in the phone. I'm hoping this is just user error but it's been too frustrating to figure out.

DEVICE CABLE
Two complaints with the device cable: the connector is clumsy and the cable is too short. The proprietary connector on the cable is tricky to line up on the iRig HD. Once it's connected you can leave it alone, so it's not a big problem, however it was a bit disappointing. My biggest complaint with the cable is the length. I really don't want my iPhone falling off of a desk or stand, so I'd like it to be much longer (at least six feet). It needs to be long enough so the movement of the guitar cable, or the weight of the iRig HD, doesn't pull the phone off of where it's sitting.

Definitely needs more time in QA before they release another version of this.

ChromaCast CC-MINIGS Universal Folding Guitar Stand with Secure Lock
ChromaCast CC-MINIGS Universal Folding Guitar Stand with Secure Lock
Offered by SHIP IT DEPOT
Price: $8.95
4 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stand. Same stand costs around $40 at Guitar ..., August 25, 2015
Great stand. Same stand costs around $40 at Guitar Center.

Katy Perry: The Prismatic World Tour

Offered by PlumStruck
Price: $129.97
20 used & new from $103.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, July 3, 2015
Love it. We have another, more expensive, hammock sitting next to this one... larger, spreader bars, polished wood, nice comfy pillow. I haven't touched it since this one was delivered.

Dulcet Madras Curry Mustard 7 oz
Dulcet Madras Curry Mustard 7 oz
Offered by Begin Industries LLC
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great on ANYTHING, June 8, 2015
Tastes great on ANYTHING... chicken, beef, car bumpers, iPhones, random pieces of wood from the yard. Absolutely love this stuff!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5