Profile for B. Stallings > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Stallings "Peanut" RSS Feed (Knoxville, TN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools M37N-CP Seal Pup Knife with Partially Serrated Fixed 4.75-Inch AUS-8 Steel Blade and GRN Handle, Powder Coated Finish
Price: $47.81
73 used & new from $43.71

5.0 out of 5 stars AUS6 is fine, July 26, 2007
With all of the exotic steels out there folks have become "steel snobs" AUS 6 is getting a lot of bad press. I think people are forgetting that the AUS series is an exotic blade and contrary to what I keep hearing, far superior to 440s. I am in love with AUS 6! This steel is soft and loses it's edge after a few rough cuts however, this can be remedied in just a few swipes across a good sharpening stone. I keep one of those small stones in the sheath (I got the nylon sheath, not the Kydex). I know there are some really advanced stainless steels out there like the ATS-34 and then there are some cool alloys but sharpening those things can make them more trouble than they are worth. I know that AUS 6 supposedly attracts rust but if you keep it dry and clean with a little oil, it will be fine. I just wipe on a little 2-in-1 oil every once in a while and then wipe it clean. So far, I have used mine quite a bit and the powder coat is holding on well but from what I have been reading on some of the knife boards it will eventually come off. If that happens I will update this review to make it a 3. One more thing I want to comment on is the size. The pup is a perfect conceal knife or open carry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2011 10:57 AM PDT

Gerber 01471 Suspension Butterfly Opening Multi-Plier with Sheath
Gerber 01471 Suspension Butterfly Opening Multi-Plier with Sheath
Price: $24.99
174 used & new from $21.52

4.0 out of 5 stars great for what it is, July 26, 2007
Don't let some of these reviews saying this thing is cheap persuade yout to buy a diffent multitool. Apparantly some folks did't do their research before buying this. This is not a top of the line Leatherman or SOG. It's not even a top of the line Gerber. This is a cheaper Gerber. I bought it to use underwater and it works great for that. It also makes a good "throw in your glove box of the Camry" multitool. I am knocking off one point because the lock allows some play with the straight edge knife and the scissors. The play is minimal and hardly even noticible. Otherwise, great multitool.

CZ-75 Family: The Ultimate Combat Handgun
CZ-75 Family: The Ultimate Combat Handgun
by J. M. Ramos
16 used & new from $131.65

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Ceská Zbrojovka owner, February 6, 2007
Old or new (yourself and the gun) if you own a Ceská Zbrojovka you should buy this book. I have an old CZ-50 and there is all kinds of good info in here. Really detailed history and technical info as well as comparison of the different models. In fact, if Ramos writes a book about any gun you own I suggest you buy it.

The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion
The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion
by Robert Spencer
Price: $19.20
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth hurts., February 6, 2007
If 4.5 stars was an option I would have went with that. I would deduct the .5 for this book being so one sided. I had to look to other books for the good things of Islam.

Well written and easy to understand this book effectively translates all of the harsh realities of the teaching of Islam. It shows that if there is no reform in the Middle East, these teachings are going to doom an entire region to paranoia an total intolerance of any other religion. Without Islamic reform, these guys are going to be a thorn in the side of every human. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! Despite the lack of pictures I think "W" did! d:-)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2007 9:35 AM PST

LG Standard Battery for the VX3200, VX6100, VX4700, VX3300, VX8100
LG Standard Battery for the VX3200, VX6100, VX4700, VX3300, VX8100
Offered by TalkinTree
Price: $4.02
30 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for 6 mos., January 22, 2007
Worked well for six months then began to lose capacity for life. This battery is now in a sad state of total unusefulness. When not plugged in I get up to 15 minutes of talk time before getting the dreaded "LOW BATTERY" message. Anything longer than 20 minutes, the phone dies.

IQ and the Wealth of Nations
IQ and the Wealth of Nations
by Richard Lynn
Price: $97.80
31 used & new from $83.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Don' knock it because you don't like the results!, November 27, 2006
Very well written book. Correlates well with what we see in everyday life. Stop looking at the world with shades on and accept the truth however harsh! Perhaps we should focus on helping struggling countries and races instead of defending them on the Amazon review section...

9- by 9-Foot Four-Person Adventure Tent
9- by 9-Foot Four-Person Adventure Tent

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Tent, November 14, 2006
This is a really plain tent. Not too many bells and whistles. Relatively easy to set up and seems to be durable. With just features I would have given it a four but the really cheap price was what pushed it to a 5. I would say the target buyer for this would be a camper on a budget or the once-per-year camper.

Magellan eXplorist 200 Water Resistant Hiking GPS
Magellan eXplorist 200 Water Resistant Hiking GPS
4 used & new from $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars good for what it is, September 26, 2006
I see a lot of reviews saying, "Good entry level GPS!" I do not agree with this statement at all. With a GPS you should always START with the best one you can afford that does what you need. That way you are not buying one to practice on just to realize you need another one. Then you are out of $100 for your "entry level" and $400 for the fancy pants Garmin. I own two GPS systems which are exactly what I need for the applications I use them for. If you need to do these things and nothing else. Buy this one and don't worry that you cannot monitor barometric pressure (I am a meteorologist and I don't need a barometer or a thermometer). Here is what this one will do wonderfully for you. If you are anywhere and you get lost. This one will easily get you to a city, lake, river, interstate, highway, or major road. My main reason for this is to save locations for future use such as: good fishing spots, tree stands for hunting, important businesses, etc. What makes this GPS so practical is it's simplicity. You cannot load a bunch of useless stuff on here that will just slow it down. Who really needs topo? What is great about hiking is NOT knowing what is over the next hill. Another great thing about this unit is it is light weight. I backpack with a lot of folks, some of which are scared of anything that weighs over half a pound. These same folks haul a huge, heavy GPS handheld in their backpack and never use it the whole trip! Another cool thing you can use this GPS for is bicycle and motorcycle application. It is easily mountable on a bike. The screen is large enough to be easily read on the go and the backlight works well at night. It won't hurt this thing if you crash either. It is built like a tank. If it starts to rain, you do not have to worry because it is almost totally waterproof. In everyday application, I keep this thing in my cargo pocket. If I find a neat store or a great view along a mountain road I can quickly save the spot, give it a name, and cool little icon from the list. For everyday use I would recommend this to anyone other than a civil engineer on a job site.

Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life (A Free Press Paperbacks Book)
by Charles A Murray
Price: $12.90
269 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don' knock it because you don't like the results!, June 18, 2006
I finally got around to reading it. This book, as gently as was possible with this subject matter, clarified what makes all the races of the United States progress at different rates. Obviously, it has and will continue to raise some eyebrows just as Darwin did with "The Origin of Species." Believe me, I am not thrilled with my race being in second place but I will accept it and use it as fuel in my mission to better myself. I see many positive impacts of this information being published. Firstly, let us look at it from a competitive standpoint. We are an extremely competitive species living in a country where competition is a way of life. Everything from education to our career and the sports we love to play and watch are about competition. I firmly believe knowing where we stand intellectually as a race will give us as individuals a goal to improve our minds. The Asian-Americans had better hold on tight because there are three other races on their heels. Secondly, and perhaps more crucial, this information gives us a better understanding of our fellow Americans. Each and every race has individual strengths and weaknesses that are characteristics of our race. Now that we have this information we can begin to take steps to improve areas where we might be lacking. Or perhaps, assist a friend of a different race in an area they might be weak in. We are all in this together.

The only potential drawback I see with this information being public is some of this information could be used as fuel for prejudiced individuals: hate groups, etc. I do not foresee that being as much of an issue with the how far our country has advanced since 1776.

In conclusion, it is our responsibility to use this information wisely and to the benefit of all parties involved. Let's stop trying desperately to discount every aspect of this well written book and move forward. -DS

The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining, and Other Affairs of Plain Living
by Eliot Wigginton
Price: $11.57
325 used & new from $2.30

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it and use it, June 17, 2006
Don't get me wrong the entire series is amazing. Book one is the best and one of the more practical. The chapter on log cabin building was my inspiration to build my own cabin. At least 75% of the cabin was directions from this very book. Reading a Foxfire (any of them) does something to you that's hard to explain. I think of Foxfire books as almost a self-help guide that teaches you how to slow down for a minute. I recommend this book for anybody with high blood pressure or some kind of anxiety problem. It's therapeutic. These students met some really neat people of Appalachia. We can't let this way of life fade away as it almost has in my hometown, Knoxville.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3