Profile for Mike From Mesa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike From Mesa "MikeFromMesa" RSS Feed (Mesa, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
GRV Ba15s 1156 1141 High Bright Car LED Bulb 18-5050SMD DC12V Warm White Pack of 10
Offered by GRV-LED
Price: $88.80

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought these to replace the normal incandescent bulbs in ..., March 3, 2015
I bought these to replace the normal incandescent bulbs in my RV. They are much less expensive than those from some of the RV specialty stores but seem to work perfectly. They fit into the sockets perfectly, run cooler and are a bit brighter than the originals. They should use much less battery power although that is something that I will only know from further usage.

Sabrent USB 3.0 To 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Enclosure Case (for 9.5mm, 12.5mm 2.5-Inch SATA-I, SATA-II, HDD and SSD) Black (EC-TB4P)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $16.99
8 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best enclosure I have tried., February 3, 2015
I have several of these enclosures which I use with some re-purposed laptop drives as external usb drives. I have tried several different enclosure types but found this one to be the best that I have used. The case is solid metal with a soft padding on the top and bottom to make it easy to hold and less slippery. The disk drives slip into the case without any difficulty and can be removed just as easily. The top and bottom of the case are held together by 4 screws which are supplied with the enclosure and the case comes with a slip case to keep it from getting dinged.

Best of all, the case comes with an on-off switch so the drive does not power up when the connector is plugged in unless the switch is in the on position. All in all a great enclosure.

UPDATE:
I now have purchased 4 of these enclosures and, although my review of them has not changed, the manufacturer seem to have changed the items that come packaged with the unit.

In all previous purchases the unit has come with (1) the enclosure, (2) 4 screws to close the enclosure, (3) 4 screws to use to keep the disk drive in a laptop bay, if you wish to return it to a laptop, (4) a screwdriver, (5) a slip case to protect the enclosure and (6) a piece of soft and spongy styrofoam to keep the drive from moving around when inserted (the enclosure is a big large for a drive so the plastic keeps it firm against the sides of the enclosure).

However the last of these that I bought did not include the styrofoam and, without it, the drive tends to bang against the sides if moved vigorously. It did include a new item, two plastic side strips to cover the screw holes, but if these are applied they just have to be removed if the user wants to open the case and change the drive being used. The omission of the plastic means that the user needs to find another way to keep the drive stable inside the enclosure. I used some cardboard temporarily until I can find a better replacement but I thought I should mention this change as it has an affect. The enclosed slip case, which I use regularly with these enclosures, was also much smaller in size and the enclosure now barely fits into it.

I would not change my rating - the enclosure is still very good - but the change is troubling in the sense that it might mean that more will be changed in the future. This is not the least expensive enclosure, but it is also not the most expensive and I think the unit will be less attractive as a purchase if the manufacturer continues to cheapen the product by reducing its usefulness.

ZeroLemon Car Charger 5.1Amps / 25.5W Triple USB Aluminum Shield Rapid Charger for Apple and Android Devices - Champagne Gold / Black - Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Fenix Select - Authorized ZeroLemon Retailer
Price: $12.98
3 used & new from $10.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device., January 25, 2015
I bought this charger to use in an RV in an attempt to keep our smart phones and my wife's iPod charged. I tested it when it arrived and found, just as described, that it would charge almost every device I have. We used this for a couple of weeks and I was so pleased with the versatility and reliability of this device that I ordered a second one for our car.

It is convenient to use, small enough to store away when not in use and charges everything I have asked it to charge. It works so well that I have stopped using the small inverter that I used to use for charging devices. This is much easier to use and quite a bit smaller. I am very happy with this charger.

Pantai Sweetened Chili Sauce For Spring Roll
Pantai Sweetened Chili Sauce For Spring Roll
Offered by Asian Store
Price: $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the right sauce but it is expensive for ..., November 28, 2014
This is the right sauce but it is expensive for a small bottle. We are used to buying a much larger bottle for much less money, but at an Asian store, not online.

Transcend JetDrive Lite 350 128GB Storage Expansion Card for 15-Inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (TS128GJDL350)
Price: $73.99
36 used & new from $64.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Good expansion memory, but ..., October 21, 2014
I bought the 128 GB version of this card for use on my MacBook Pro. it sits comfortably in the sd slot flush with the side of the laptop and is hardly noticeable and, since I also use Transcend cards in my digital camera and have not had any trouble with them, I felt comfortable using one of their cards as expansion memory.

I bought this specifically to hold the digital raw images my family takes when traveling for processing so that they don't take up space on my main SSD which is only 512 GB. The card works well, although it is noticeably slower than my SSD, and I have found that some photo editing software has a problem processing images if they reside on the card. In addition, since the card is designed to sit in the sd slot semi-permanently (it can be removed but, since it is flush with the laptop case, that takes a bit of doing) it also prevents me from easily copying photos directly from my camera's sd card. That made me buy a usb sd card reader.

So, some good and some bad. The card is a nice size (although I would have liked 256 GB), it works well and its use is largely transparent since there is nothing sticking out from the side of the machine. On the other hand there are problems, although they are not specifically problems with the card itself. All in all a mixed bag, but mostly positive. A good choice, with some drawbacks, if you are limited in your SSD space.

Gigaware USB Headset with Microphone
Gigaware USB Headset with Microphone

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems with this headset, October 21, 2014
My family uses this headset with Skype, usually on a Windows computer. Skype recognizes it and the sound is very good. The headset sits comfortably on my head, the microphone is adjustable and the inline control is handy. All in all I have had no problems with this headset except that, after a couple of years, we find we need to replace them.

HI-VISION HI-YIELDS Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Hewlett-Packard (HP) 128A CE320A CE321A CE322A CE323A (1 Black, 1 Cyan, 1 Yellow, 1 Magenta, 4-Pack)
Offered by Vision Supplies
Price: $77.77
2 used & new from $77.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Good color but streaky pages (fixed by vendor), October 19, 2014
I ordered these cartridges when the 3 HP color cartridges ran out and, when this set arrived, I installed the yellow, magenta and cyan cartridges, keeping the black HP cartridge that still had 10% left. The first thing to mention is that these cartridges do not always have the color marked on the cartridge itself so you need to mark which cartridge goes into which slot so you will know where the new cartridges are supposed to go when you do the next replacement.

I then tested the toner by printing both a page of text and a photo. Both printed well but both had streaks of cyan color along the right side of the page and these streaks appeared in every subsequent page I printed. I took the pages, scanned them and sent them to the vendor to let them know of the problem and, within 1 business day, I received a response telling me to replace the black toner cartridge as well and let them know if the problem persisted. I did so and again sent the output scans to show them. They replied (again in 1 business day) telling me that they would send a replacement cyan cartridge without cost and telling me to dispose of the existing one rather than send it back.

The new cartridge arrived in about 2 days and, after I replaced the one in the printer with the new one, the problem disappeared. The printed pages look good, the printed color photos appear to be just as good as they were with the HP toner and everything seems to be working well. Thus, while there was an initial problem (as appears to have happened to other users) the vendor replaced the cartridge quickly and now everything appears normal. So, good color, good service but you may have to have one of the cartridges replaced. Considering how much less expensive these cartridges are compared to the HP cartridges, they appear to be a bargain although, at this point, I cannot speak to how long they will last.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2014 1:54 PM PST

PixelFlash USB 3.0 No-Bend Pins CF Card Reader SuperSpeed Compact Flash Memory Adapter (PFUSB3CFRD)
Offered by Paradise Memory Co
Price: $14.65
3 used & new from $14.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Occasional connection problems, October 4, 2014
I bought this to replace my current USB 2.0 compact flash reader. That reader, which I have had for several years, works perfectly on both my Windows and Mac machines and I only replaced it thinking that I would get faster transfer speeds to my computer with USB 3.0. A recent transfer of raw images using this reader took 47 seconds as compared to 104 seconds using my 2.0 reader so, on the basis of transfer speed, I feel this purchase was well worth the low cost.

However I have noticed an odd behavior with this reader. My MacBook Pro has 2 USB 3.0 slots and this reader works perfectly in one of them and only intermittently in the other. I would suspect my USB slot instead of the reader except I do not see this problem with any other device. All my other usb devices work perfectly in both slots and only this reader fails in one of the slots. The failure behavior is odd also. Sometimes it works properly, sometimes the Mac detects the reader and then loses it and sometimes it will work for a while and then just drop the connection.

This issue is more annoying than serious for me as I just use the one slot I know works, but it is still odd and may indicate some kind of firmware issue. Or it may, in fact, be my Mac. Due to the uncertainty as to the cause of this issue I have only deducted one star from my review. As for my main purpose in buying this device (the added speed) I am happy.

VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS
VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS
Offered by VicDirect
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost fits., July 12, 2014
I bought this to use with my Rand McNally 7" RV GPS. The price was low enough and the reviews not too terrible so I thought I would give it a try.

The visor seems at first to be a bit odd because you have to push the plastic prongs behind the GPS and the left and right sides in front for this to fit onto the unit. Once you do that the visor is just a little bit too narrow to fit my GPS. By "a little bit" I mean perhaps 1/4 inch. Thus the visor is OK and does not block too much of the display screen.

The top of the visor is deep enough to provide good shade for the display and prevents the sun from washing out the color display when it (the sun) is high in the sky. Aside from the visor being a little too narrow my biggest complaint is that the top of the visor prevents me from being able to press the power button which, on my unit, is on top and hence covered by the visor. Still, given the price, is seems like a reasonable purchase for my GPS.

AGPtek 2.4g Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Rearview Backup Camera/Front Car Camera
Offered by NewerStone
Price: $17.79
2 used & new from $10.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive to power lines., July 12, 2014
I bought a license plate frame rear view camera to use with my RV GPS (which also serves as a camera display). Since I was having the installation professionally done (I am terrible at stuff like this) I priced both the wired and wireless installation and found the wireless installation to be considerably less and opted for that.

Since my RV is small (20 ft) the distance between the transmitter and receiver is about 15-16 ft and that is well within the working limits of this product. The display on my GPS is very nice and steady, the colors show up well and I believe that the transmitter/receiver pair work well together and with the other equipment.

However the wireless appears to be very sensitive to low hanging power lines. When I am traveling in urban areas where power lines are common and relatively close to the vehicle there is a lot of interference, the display shows a lot of scrolling horizontal lines and sometimes the display goes completely black. Since it is hooked to my GPS display this causes the display to return to its GPS functionality and I have to manually again start the rearview camera display again. When traveling in rural areas or on the Interstate this is not a problem.

I struggled between giving this set 3 stars or 4 but, in the end, decided to opt for 4 because I am mostly traveling on highways away from electro-magnetic interference and the whole setup works very well under those circumstances. I would recommend that potential users decide if they think they will or will not have to deal with power line interference and decide, based on that, if this is a good purchase. I am satisfied but would have to change the installation if I expected to be driving mostly close to power lines.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7