Profile for Mike From Mesa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 66

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike From Mesa "MikeFromMesa" RSS Feed (Mesa, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Transcend JetDrive Lite 350 128GB Storage Expansion Card for 15-Inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (TS128GJDL350)
Price: $73.99
34 used & new from $61.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Good expansion memory, but ..., October 21, 2014
I bought the 128 GB version of this card for use on my MacBook Pro. it sits comfortably in the sd slot flush with the side of the laptop and is hardly noticeable and, since I also use Transcend cards in my digital camera and have not had any trouble with them, I felt comfortable using one of their cards as expansion memory.

I bought this specifically to hold the digital raw images my family takes when traveling for processing so that they don't take up space on my main SSD which is only 512 GB. The card works well, although it is noticeably slower than my SSD, and I have found that some photo editing software has a problem processing images if they reside on the card. In addition, since the card is designed to sit in the sd slot semi-permanently (it can be removed but, since it is flush with the laptop case, that takes a bit of doing) it also prevents me from easily copying photos directly from my camera's sd card. That made me buy a usb sd card reader.

So, some good and some bad. The card is a nice size (although I would have liked 256 GB), it works well and its use is largely transparent since there is nothing sticking out from the side of the machine. On the other hand there are problems, although they are not specifically problems with the card itself. All in all a mixed bag, but mostly positive. A good choice, with some drawbacks, if you are limited in your SSD space.

Gigaware USB Headset with Microphone
Gigaware USB Headset with Microphone
Offered by ShopCell
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems with this headset, October 21, 2014
My family uses this headset with Skype, usually on a Windows computer. Skype recognizes it and the sound is very good. The headset sits comfortably on my head, the microphone is adjustable and the inline control is handy. All in all I have had no problems with this headset except that, after a couple of years, we find we need to replace them.

HI-VISION HI-YIELDS Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Hewlett-Packard (HP) 128A CE320A CE321A CE322A CE323A (1 Black, 1 Cyan, 1 Yellow, 1 Magenta, 4-Pack)
Offered by Vision Supplies
Price: $82.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good color but streaky pages (fixed by vendor), October 19, 2014
I ordered these cartridges when the 3 HP color cartridges ran out and, when this set arrived, I installed the yellow, magenta and cyan cartridges, keeping the black HP cartridge that still had 10% left. The first thing to mention is that these cartridges do not always have the color marked on the cartridge itself so you need to mark which cartridge goes into which slot so you will know where the new cartridges are supposed to go when you do the next replacement.

I then tested the toner by printing both a page of text and a photo. Both printed well but both had streaks of cyan color along the right side of the page and these streaks appeared in every subsequent page I printed. I took the pages, scanned them and sent them to the vendor to let them know of the problem and, within 1 business day, I received a response telling me to replace the black toner cartridge as well and let them know if the problem persisted. I did so and again sent the output scans to show them. They replied (again in 1 business day) telling me that they would send a replacement cyan cartridge without cost and telling me to dispose of the existing one rather than send it back.

The new cartridge arrived in about 2 days and, after I replaced the one in the printer with the new one, the problem disappeared. The printed pages look good, the printed color photos appear to be just as good as they were with the HP toner and everything seems to be working well. Thus, while there was an initial problem (as appears to have happened to other users) the vendor replaced the cartridge quickly and now everything appears normal. So, good color, good service but you may have to have one of the cartridges replaced. Considering how much less expensive these cartridges are compared to the HP cartridges, they appear to be a bargain although, at this point, I cannot speak to how long they will last.

PixelFlash USB 3.0 No-Bend Pins CF Card Reader SuperSpeed Compact Flash Memory Adapter (PFUSB3CFRD)
Offered by Paradise Memory Co
Price: $13.85
2 used & new from $13.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Occasional connection problems, October 4, 2014
I bought this to replace my current USB 2.0 compact flash reader. That reader, which I have had for several years, works perfectly on both my Windows and Mac machines and I only replaced it thinking that I would get faster transfer speeds to my computer with USB 3.0. A recent transfer of raw images using this reader took 47 seconds as compared to 104 seconds using my 2.0 reader so, on the basis of transfer speed, I feel this purchase was well worth the low cost.

However I have noticed an odd behavior with this reader. My MacBook Pro has 2 USB 3.0 slots and this reader works perfectly in one of them and only intermittently in the other. I would suspect my USB slot instead of the reader except I do not see this problem with any other device. All my other usb devices work perfectly in both slots and only this reader fails in one of the slots. The failure behavior is odd also. Sometimes it works properly, sometimes the Mac detects the reader and then loses it and sometimes it will work for a while and then just drop the connection.

This issue is more annoying than serious for me as I just use the one slot I know works, but it is still odd and may indicate some kind of firmware issue. Or it may, in fact, be my Mac. Due to the uncertainty as to the cause of this issue I have only deducted one star from my review. As for my main purpose in buying this device (the added speed) I am happy.

VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS
VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS
Offered by VicDirect
Price: $6.09
2 used & new from $6.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost fits., July 12, 2014
I bought this to use with my Rand McNally 7" RV GPS. The price was low enough and the reviews not too terrible so I thought I would give it a try.

The visor seems at first to be a bit odd because you have to push the plastic prongs behind the GPS and the left and right sides in front for this to fit onto the unit. Once you do that the visor is just a little bit too narrow to fit my GPS. By "a little bit" I mean perhaps 1/4 inch. Thus the visor is OK and does not block too much of the display screen.

The top of the visor is deep enough to provide good shade for the display and prevents the sun from washing out the color display when it (the sun) is high in the sky. Aside from the visor being a little too narrow my biggest complaint is that the top of the visor prevents me from being able to press the power button which, on my unit, is on top and hence covered by the visor. Still, given the price, is seems like a reasonable purchase for my GPS.

AGPtek 2.4g Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Rearview Backup Camera/Front Car Camera
Offered by NewerStone
Price: $11.55
2 used & new from $10.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive to power lines., July 12, 2014
I bought a license plate frame rear view camera to use with my RV GPS (which also serves as a camera display). Since I was having the installation professionally done (I am terrible at stuff like this) I priced both the wired and wireless installation and found the wireless installation to be considerably less and opted for that.

Since my RV is small (20 ft) the distance between the transmitter and receiver is about 15-16 ft and that is well within the working limits of this product. The display on my GPS is very nice and steady, the colors show up well and I believe that the transmitter/receiver pair work well together and with the other equipment.

However the wireless appears to be very sensitive to low hanging power lines. When I am traveling in urban areas where power lines are common and relatively close to the vehicle there is a lot of interference, the display shows a lot of scrolling horizontal lines and sometimes the display goes completely black. Since it is hooked to my GPS display this causes the display to return to its GPS functionality and I have to manually again start the rearview camera display again. When traveling in rural areas or on the Interstate this is not a problem.

I struggled between giving this set 3 stars or 4 but, in the end, decided to opt for 4 because I am mostly traveling on highways away from electro-magnetic interference and the whole setup works very well under those circumstances. I would recommend that potential users decide if they think they will or will not have to deal with power line interference and decide, based on that, if this is a good purchase. I am satisfied but would have to change the installation if I expected to be driving mostly close to power lines.

GPS camera video cable, 2.5mm to RCA female for Rand McNally
GPS camera video cable, 2.5mm to RCA female for Rand McNally
Offered by DieselBoss, Inc.
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solution to an odd requirement, July 3, 2014
I bought this to use my Rand McNally 7720 GPS as a rear-view camera. Since Rand McNally chose to use a 2.5mm video plug it was impossible for me to just hook up a camera using a standard jack. After checking with my local electronics stores and finding that no one had a 2.5mm video plug (one of the techs said he had never even seen one) I ended up having to buy this one.

It works perfectly and solved my problem but it does seem unreasonable for Rand McNally to require a connector that almost no one sells. While I am not happy with Rand McNally's design decisions, that is not the fault of DieselBoss who markets this connector. It is perfect for the job and works well.

TaoTronics® TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 8 IR LED Night Vision (170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line / Zinc Metal Casing / Black)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $69.99
6 used & new from $38.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Dandy rear view camera., July 3, 2014
I bought this for use on a small (Class B) Motorhome. The vehicle has glass windows in the rear door but it is not possible to see below the middle of the door making for a large blind spot and I felt I needed some additional information for both backing up and for viewing during driving. In addition a rear view camera would allow me to close the blinds on the back window in case someone wants to sleep.

Since installing this involved pulling panels off of the doors and running wire inside the vehicle I had it done professionally. The installers did a good job and the camera seems to work very well. I have it hooked using my Rand McNally GPS as a screen and the color display is very nice. The camera provides a series of bars indicating how close the rear of the vehicle is to whatever is behind it and, once you understand what the bars represent in distance, it becomes easy to judge when to stop.

The unit feels solid and sturdy, not plastic and fragile, and I expect it will last for a long time. The wiring seems simple with only 2 wires, all the components seem well made and, at least so far, I am happy with the purchase.

Xcode Primer - Visual Programming for OS X
Xcode Primer - Visual Programming for OS X
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice intro, June 9, 2014
I reviewed an earlier book in this series which was centered on objective-c. While I was not very satisfied with that book I explained in the review that I was reviewing it as an experienced software engineer who wanted an overview of the language but also wanted enough additional information to feel that I would be able to actually code using it. I felt that it satisfied the first part (the overview) but not the second (the additional information) and hence left me wanting more information. I ended up having to get what I needed from searching the internet.

This book seems quite different to me, perhaps because I lacked any real knowledge about using Xcode and was thus a beginner at it, if not at GUI development tools. The book was accurate, up to date (while not the latest version of Xcode, it was written using the last major revision) and well-written. It provided me with enough information to actually sit down and start developing Xcode GUI based apps and left me feeling that I had learned something.

I still wish that it had added some advanced sections, perhaps at the end of each chapter, to explain the things that were not covered. So, for example, the book did not cover items like (1) how to pass parameters from the startup c app (main.c) to the AppDelegate code so the user could use any parameters passed by a calling program, (2) how to form and use both modal and non-modal dialog boxes, (3) no information on the use of reference variables (although, I suppose, that should have been in the first book), (4) the explicit creation of stand-alone library apps separate and apart from the main app being developed, and so on. Still, given that this was an introduction, I felt that it was very well done, easy to read and follow and a very good buy for the money. I was well satisfied with the purchase.

ARKON AP020 Adapter Plate 90mm Circular Adhesive Dash / Console Disc with 3M Adhesive
Price: $4.51
11 used & new from $3.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't take the heat, June 3, 2014
I mounted this horizontally in my RV to hold the stand for a Rand McNally RNVD 7720. That is a large gps unit designed for RVs and the base suction cup is large. This fit the base almost exactly but, after about 2 months of occasional use, the plate separated from the glued bottom making the plate useless.

I live in a very hot climate but this separation occurred in May when it was not very hot. The RV was in storage and the interior temperature was probably about 90 when I opened the door to cool off the RV. I mounted the gps after the interior had cooled but the glue holding the plate to the dash was probably still warm and the entire thing separated.

On the positive side I was able to remove the glued part of this unit without scaring the "wood" that it was mounted on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7