Profile for Mike From Mesa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike From Mesa "MikeFromMesa" RSS Feed (Mesa, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS
VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS
Offered by VicDirect
Price: $6.09
4 used & new from $5.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost fits., July 12, 2014
I bought this to use with my Rand McNally 7" RV GPS. The price was low enough and the reviews not too terrible so I thought I would give it a try.

The visor seems at first to be a bit odd because you have to push the plastic prongs behind the GPS and the left and right sides in front for this to fit onto the unit. Once you do that the visor is just a little bit too narrow to fit my GPS. By "a little bit" I mean perhaps 1/4 inch. Thus the visor is OK and does not block too much of the display screen.

The top of the visor is deep enough to provide good shade for the display and prevents the sun from washing out the color display when it (the sun) is high in the sky. Aside from the visor being a little too narrow my biggest complaint is that the top of the visor prevents me from being able to press the power button which, on my unit, is on top and hence covered by the visor. Still, given the price, is seems like a reasonable purchase for my GPS.

AGPtek 2.4g Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Rearview Backup Camera/Front Car Camera
Offered by NewerStone
Price: $11.88
2 used & new from $10.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive to power lines., July 12, 2014
I bought a license plate frame rear view camera to use with my RV GPS (which also serves as a camera display). Since I was having the installation professionally done (I am terrible at stuff like this) I priced both the wired and wireless installation and found the wireless installation to be considerably less and opted for that.

Since my RV is small (20 ft) the distance between the transmitter and receiver is about 15-16 ft and that is well within the working limits of this product. The display on my GPS is very nice and steady, the colors show up well and I believe that the transmitter/receiver pair work well together and with the other equipment.

However the wireless appears to be very sensitive to low hanging power lines. When I am traveling in urban areas where power lines are common and relatively close to the vehicle there is a lot of interference, the display shows a lot of scrolling horizontal lines and sometimes the display goes completely black. Since it is hooked to my GPS display this causes the display to return to its GPS functionality and I have to manually again start the rearview camera display again. When traveling in rural areas or on the Interstate this is not a problem.

I struggled between giving this set 3 stars or 4 but, in the end, decided to opt for 4 because I am mostly traveling on highways away from electro-magnetic interference and the whole setup works very well under those circumstances. I would recommend that potential users decide if they think they will or will not have to deal with power line interference and decide, based on that, if this is a good purchase. I am satisfied but would have to change the installation if I expected to be driving mostly close to power lines.

GPS camera video cable, 2.5mm to RCA female for Rand McNally
GPS camera video cable, 2.5mm to RCA female for Rand McNally
Offered by DieselBoss, Inc.
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solution to an odd requirement, July 3, 2014
I bought this to use my Rand McNally 7720 GPS as a rear-view camera. Since Rand McNally chose to use a 2.5mm video plug it was impossible for me to just hook up a camera using a standard jack. After checking with my local electronics stores and finding that no one had a 2.5mm video plug (one of the techs said he had never even seen one) I ended up having to buy this one.

It works perfectly and solved my problem but it does seem unreasonable for Rand McNally to require a connector that almost no one sells. While I am not happy with Rand McNally's design decisions, that is not the fault of DieselBoss who markets this connector. It is perfect for the job and works well.

TaoTronics® TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 8 IR LED Night Vision (170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line / Zinc Metal Casing / Black)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dandy rear view camera., July 3, 2014
I bought this for use on a small (Class B) Motorhome. The vehicle has glass windows in the rear door but it is not possible to see below the middle of the door making for a large blind spot and I felt I needed some additional information for both backing up and for viewing during driving. In addition a rear view camera would allow me to close the blinds on the back window in case someone wants to sleep.

Since installing this involved pulling panels off of the doors and running wire inside the vehicle I had it done professionally. The installers did a good job and the camera seems to work very well. I have it hooked using my Rand McNally GPS as a screen and the color display is very nice. The camera provides a series of bars indicating how close the rear of the vehicle is to whatever is behind it and, once you understand what the bars represent in distance, it becomes easy to judge when to stop.

The unit feels solid and sturdy, not plastic and fragile, and I expect it will last for a long time. The wiring seems simple with only 2 wires, all the components seem well made and, at least so far, I am happy with the purchase.

Xcode Primer - Visual Programming for OS X
Xcode Primer - Visual Programming for OS X
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice intro, June 9, 2014
I reviewed an earlier book in this series which was centered on objective-c. While I was not very satisfied with that book I explained in the review that I was reviewing it as an experienced software engineer who wanted an overview of the language but also wanted enough additional information to feel that I would be able to actually code using it. I felt that it satisfied the first part (the overview) but not the second (the additional information) and hence left me wanting more information. I ended up having to get what I needed from searching the internet.

This book seems quite different to me, perhaps because I lacked any real knowledge about using Xcode and was thus a beginner at it, if not at GUI development tools. The book was accurate, up to date (while not the latest version of Xcode, it was written using the last major revision) and well-written. It provided me with enough information to actually sit down and start developing Xcode GUI based apps and left me feeling that I had learned something.

I still wish that it had added some advanced sections, perhaps at the end of each chapter, to explain the things that were not covered. So, for example, the book did not cover items like (1) how to pass parameters from the startup c app (main.c) to the AppDelegate code so the user could use any parameters passed by a calling program, (2) how to form and use both modal and non-modal dialog boxes, (3) no information on the use of reference variables (although, I suppose, that should have been in the first book), (4) the explicit creation of stand-alone library apps separate and apart from the main app being developed, and so on. Still, given that this was an introduction, I felt that it was very well done, easy to read and follow and a very good buy for the money. I was well satisfied with the purchase.

ARKON AP020 Adapter Plate 90mm Circular Adhesive Dash / Console Disc with 3M Adhesive
Price: $5.03
11 used & new from $3.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't take the heat, June 3, 2014
I mounted this horizontally in my RV to hold the stand for a Rand McNally RNVD 7720. That is a large gps unit designed for RVs and the base suction cup is large. This fit the base almost exactly but, after about 2 months of occasional use, the plate separated from the glued bottom making the plate useless.

I live in a very hot climate but this separation occurred in May when it was not very hot. The RV was in storage and the interior temperature was probably about 90 when I opened the door to cool off the RV. I mounted the gps after the interior had cooled but the glue holding the plate to the dash was probably still warm and the entire thing separated.

On the positive side I was able to remove the glued part of this unit without scaring the "wood" that it was mounted on.

TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wall Plug design, One-button Setup, Smart Signal Indicator
Price: Click here to see our price
134 used & new from $20.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems OK, June 3, 2014
I plugged this into the wall socket in my living room and it seems to work reasonably well. It appears to improve the signal strength for the rest of the house reasonably well although not as much as I had expected.

Setting up the extender took a bit more work than I expected and I had to end up using an ethernet cable since the wireless setup just did not work for me.

Genie Intellicode Gitr-3 Remote Replaces Git-1, Git-2 & Git-3
Genie Intellicode Gitr-3 Remote Replaces Git-1, Git-2 & Git-3
Offered by North Shore Commercial Door, Inc
Price: $16.50
18 used & new from $11.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, May 15, 2014
I needed a replacement remote control for my garage door and this unit works very well. It has a decent range, programming it was very easy and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Xcode Primer - Starting Objective-C
Xcode Primer - Starting Objective-C
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, May 15, 2014
Books like this, which attempt to teach the basics of a new language, must be difficult to write. The author never really knows if the reader is new to programming (and so requires pretty basic stuff) or an experienced programmer trying to learn a new language (and hence does not need basic stuff).

This book is aimed at the former rather than the latter and, as such, is full of really basic information. I have been writing code for a long time in a variety of computer languages so it was both too basic and did not spread a wide enough net to cover all of the information I would have liked. Still it did provide enough information for me to grasp the basic differences and similarities of objective-c when compared to other languages and to proceed other documentation. As such it was probably worth the time and the money.

A bit of a warning - this book is written for XCode 4.X and, since the latest version is 5.X, it needs to be updated to be a bit more helpful. There is not much difference but enough to notice. Still, at only $6 for the Kindle version (I don't think a print version is available) it is a good buy and what information is given appears to be correct. I found no mistakes (other than the version being old) and that is a net positive. On the other hand I would have liked to see some pretty basic questions answered.

How can you read a single line from a text file rather than the whole file? Apparently you cannot, but it would have been nice for the author to say so specifically. How do you raise and catch exceptions? No information is provided. How are list objects used? No information is provided. And, for me, the biggest question. How can a user provide command-line arguments in XCode when debugging? There is a section on debugging but no information about configuring the IDE to provide values for argc and argv. A bit frustrating for an experienced software engineer trying to learn about XCode and objective c.

The FaucetLock
The FaucetLock
Offered by Flow Security Systems, Inc.
Price: $18.95
2 used & new from $18.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not secure, April 3, 2014
This review is from: The FaucetLock
My neighbor bought some of these to try to keep his outside water secure from theft. I was impressed enough by what I saw to also order a set of these. The locks seem to be well-made from good solid metal and seem resistant to tampering. I could not get them off of my neighbor's faucet bibs when I tried until he unlocked them.

However when my locks came in I realized that my keys opened his locks and, of course, his opened my locks. I tried to contact the company that markets these locks to find out how many different key sets there were, but my calls were never returned. The likelihood that he and I would have exactly the same set of keys if there were many different key sets seemed small so the logical assumption was that there are very few different key sets. If everyone's keys open everyone else's locks these keys do not serve the purpose they were purchased for. I have already printed out the return labels and expect to drop them off for return tomorrow.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7