Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Mike From Mesa > Reviews

Browse

Mike From Mesa's Profile

Customer Reviews: 87

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike From Mesa "MikeFromMesa" RSS Feed (Mesa, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Wireless Charger, Spigen® [Wireless Charging Pad] 3 Coil Charger [F300W] Premium Wireless / Qi Charging Stand Only for Qi Enabled Phones Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 Edge / Galaxy Note 5/Galaxy S6 Edge Plus/S6/S6 Edge - SGP11480
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $22.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Spigen charging case., June 20, 2016
I am writing this review less than a week after receiving the charging stand so if anything changes I will update my rating and the review.

I recently bought a new iPhone 6S Plus and, wanting a protective case that would allow me to use wireless charging, I also bought a Spigen charging case. I had previously bought a Anker charging stand but decided that the Spigen charging case might work best with the Spigen charging stand and I bought that to replace the Anker charging stand. The instructions say to use this with at least a 2 amp power supply so I hooked it up to my iPad charger rather than my iPhone charger and the combination of the charging case and stand has proven to be almost perfect.

The stand displays a small red light when nothing is charging and, when the phone is placed on the stand, the light changes to blue. I have only charged my phone during the day to make sure that the stand does not get too hot as my previous Anker charger would stop charging if it got too warm, but at no time has the stand gotten anything other than about room temperature during the charging cycle. Charging with the stand is slightly slower than with a direct connection, but not enough to be of any real problem for me. When I place the phone on the stand it immediately displays the charging icon and the charge continues until the phone is at 100%. The blue light does not change to red so I assume that the stand continues to charge even when the phone is fully charged and that is my only complaint about the combination of the case and stand. It would be nice if the stand stopped charging when the phone reached 100% and, if the phone dropped back down, picked up the charge again. As it is there is no visual indication that the phone is fully charged and I have had to press the display button to check on whether or not the phone is fully charged.

My previous Anker charger did change the display color from blue back to red when charging stopped and I would often find that the phone was not fully charged and often stopped at 80% for some reason. i would have to lift the phone off the charging stand and set it back to start charging again. This has not been a problem with the Spigen stand. My phone charges to 100% every time and the phone and the stand stay cool during the process.

I have not used this charting stand with any other phone, Qi enabled or not, or any other charging case but the combination of the Spigen case and stand work very well with my iPhone. I have only had this stand for about a week so if anything changes I will revise this review and my rating.

Anker Wireless Charger PowerPort Qi Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung  S7 / S6 / Edge / Plus, Note 5, Nexus 4 / 5 / 6 / 7, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2, HTC 8X / Droid DNA and All Qi-Enabled Devices
Anker Wireless Charger PowerPort Qi Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung S7 / S6 / Edge / Plus, Note 5, Nexus 4 / 5 / 6 / 7, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2, HTC 8X / Droid DNA and All Qi-Enabled Devices
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems charging, but can not be sure of the cause - updated, June 9, 2016
I bought this in connection with a Spigen wireless charging case for my iPhone 6S Plus. Because the charger and the case are from different companies it is impossible for me to know if my problems stem from the charger, the case or both. Given that I have decided to err on the side of safety and give the charger 4 stars rather than 3.

To make sure that I am supplying sufficient power I connected the charger into one of my iPad chargers rather than an iPhone charger. Once the charger is connected a little red light turns on indicating that it is ready to be used. When I place my phone/charging case on the charger the light turns blue and I get the phone icon saying that the phone is charging. The charger is considerably smaller than the phone so the phone has to be placed on the charger properly for the case to pick up the charge, but it is not difficult to find the proper position for the phone. I have only charged my phone during the day in order to be able to check to see if the phone is getting hot, but it does not and, at worst, has only been a bit warm. Anker says that they turn off charging if the phone gets above 107 degrees but I have never seen it more than slightly warm.

I would have given the charger 5 stars except for one issue. The phone sometimes does not charge to 100% before the charging stops. That is, I will place the phone and case on the charger when the phone is at, say, 50% and later, when the light has again turned red, indicating that it is no longer charging, I will find that the phone is only at 80% charge. I then have to lift the phone off the charger and replace it. Then the charging will begin again and normally will fully charge the phone. As I mentioned above I can not be sure if the problem is the case or the charger.

I have some other Anker products and have been satisfied with them so I am making the assumption that the problem is probably with the case, but I can not be sure and readers might want to make sure they buy compatible cases and chargers.

UPDATE:

I grew tired enough of the charger only charging my phone to 80% that I bought the Spigen charger to see if it did any better with the Spigen charging case. What I found was that the Spigen charger correctly charges my iPhone to 100% every time. The charger does not shut down, the phone does not get hot and I can rely on finding my phone fully charged.

Given that fact that the Spigen charger works properly with the Spigen charging case it seems clear that the Anker charger was the source of the problem I mentioned in my earlier review. Hence I have updated this review and changed the star rating to 3 stars. This Anker charger is OK but does not do the job fully and the Spigen charger has solved the problem.

First Nature 3055 32-ounce Hummingbird Feeder
First Nature 3055 32-ounce Hummingbird Feeder
Price: $9.97
9 used & new from $5.07

4.0 out of 5 stars OK feeder, but flimsy, April 29, 2016
This feeder works well and has drawn several hummingbird families to our yard. The ring at the bottom provides a good perch for them to sit and drink, but it also provides a perch for other larger birds and we regularly have these large birds hanging on to the ring and drinking from the feeder. It might be better if the ring was not there so only hummingbirds could feed from it.

The bottom of the feeder comes apart easily for cleaning but the top, which holds the body of the feeder from the ring, is held on my what seems to be glue and I do not have much confidence that it will hold together for much longer than one or two seasons. In addition you can not use really hot water to clean the inside of the feeder as it will damage the plastic sides and ruin the feeder.

All in all, 3 1/2 stars.

Transcend 256GB MLC SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive 370 (TS256GSSD370)
Price: $88.99
36 used & new from $88.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as fast as it should be., January 5, 2016
I have purchased a lot of Transcend memory, both physical and solid state. Both my compact flash and sdhc camera cards were Transcend, my 1TB external usb3 (physical) drive is Transcend and I purchased this to use in an external usb3 drive enclosure. I have been happy with all of them, including this one. However it is not nearly as fast as it should be.

I placed this drive in a uasp compliant enclosure and tested it with the BlackMagic speed test on my Mac. While it was reasonably fast (Read = 420 Mbs, Write = 292 Mbs) it was nowhere near as fast as a Samsung solid state drive in the same enclosure (Read = 423 Mbs, Write = 390 Mbs). The extra 100 Mbs write speed is determinative for me and I will be buying the faster Samsung if I need more solid state external drives.

There is nothing wrong with this drive, but it should be faster. I have seen some reviews showing a much faster write speed for this ssd but I did not see that in my testing on my Macs.

Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Price: $154.85
183 used & new from $105.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., December 31, 2015
I don't normally write a review this quickly after receiving an item (it came in earlier today) but I am making an exception for this solid state drive.

I purchased this drive to place in an external uasp compatible enclosure and use as an external drive. I already have two other ssds (both Transcend), but one I use as a daily backup for my Mac and the other is too small to hold what I want. I knew what read and write speeds to expect because one of those drives is a Thunderbolt and I was familiar with its read and write speed. This drive came in, I set it inside the usb3 enclosure, hooked it up to my Mac Mini, created a partition, formatted it and ran the Black Magic speed test to compare it to the results of my other disks. The results were astonishing.

The previous solid state drive I had in the enclosure gave me what I thought were very good speeds - Read about 420 Mbs and Write about 296 Mbs. This drive, in the exact same enclosure, gave me the same Read speed (about 420 Mbs) but the Write speed was an astonishing 387 Mbs, almost 100 Mbs faster than my other solid state drive.

I am now a believer in this drive and, if I have to buy any additional drives, it will be this one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Semlos Sata IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Cable for 2.5" 3.5" 5.25" IDE Sata Drives
Semlos Sata IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Cable for 2.5" 3.5" 5.25" IDE Sata Drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for accessing old IDE discs, December 21, 2015
Very bare bones device for reading IDE drives. The main connecting device has two sides, one for 2 1/2 drives and the other for 3 1/2 drives. Everything worked properly and I had no problems reading any of my old drives that were still functional. Of course the interface is usb 2 so don't expect any fast transfer speeds, but all I wanted was to format the drives before discarding them and this worked very well for what it is and what it cost.

Had this device been much more expensive I would have rated it at only 4 stars but, given the cost, it seems reasonable to give it 5 stars.

MyDigitalSSD 512GB (480GB) OTG (On The Go) mSATA Based SuperSpeed USB 3.0 UASP Portable External Solid State Storage Drive SSD
Offered by MyDigitalDiscount
Price: $169.99
9 used & new from $148.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, but not as fast as advertised, December 21, 2015
This is the third external usb3 solid state drive I have purchased. One was "home made" from an internal ssd placed into a usb3 enclosure, one is a 256GB Transcend and this 512GB ssd is the third. All these drives are "fast" when compared to physical disc platters but I bought this one based on some of the reviews that said this reached 450-460 MBs speed. The only thing I can say is "Not on my machines".

I use a Mac and, when this arrived, I formatted the main partition for OS X. I then used the Black Magic speed test and compared all three of my drives. My "home made" drive was the slowest, presumably because the usb3 enclosure does not have a very fast interface. This drive was only marginally faster than my Transcend 256GB drive when tested on both my Mac Mini and my MacBook Pro. Both devices gave almost the exact same speeds - Read - 430 MBs, Write 310 MBs. I have seen reviews that say this drive writes at 460 MBs, but not on my Macs.

Still, 430/310 MBs is reasonably fast at about half of my devices internal ssd memory so I am reasonably satisfied. I have not used it long enough to see how hot it runs or how much usb power it draws.

One troubling item: This drive has disconnected itself from my Mac for no understandable reason. I do not know if this will be a constant problem or not, but it will be something I keep my eye on.

Transcend 256GB Thunderbolt Solid State Drive StoreJet 500 for MAC (TS256GSJM500)
Price: $189.99
57 used & new from $166.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy, but faster on usb 3 than thunderbolt, November 30, 2015
I recently bought a Mac Mini to replace my aging MacBook Pro and bought this external drive to supplement the limited solid state drive space in the Mini. I already had a 256GB solid state internal drive that I placed in a usb 3 enclosure to use for storing photos but thought that the thunderbolt drive would be faster than the usb 3 drive I cobbled together. I was both right and wrong.

The drive looks quite nice, feels solid when held in my hand and was already formatted with OS X. I plugged it in using the included thunderbolt cable and did some testing. It was much faster than my older usb 3 solid state drive but did not approach what I thought should be its speed based on the thunderbolt standards. Out of curiosity I loaded up the (free) Black Magic speed test and did some testing of all of my external drives as well as the internal ssd in my Mini and the results surprised me. All speeds are in MB/s using the 5GB stress setting in Black Magic. See below the data for an more detailed explanation as to what these speeds represent.

Device Read Speed/ Write Speed

Internal ssd is the built-in ssd in the Mac Mini
usb 3 ssd is an internal ssd placed into a usb 3 enclosure
Transcend 1 is this Transcend drive connected using the usb 3 connection
Transcend 2 is this Transcend drive connected using the thunderbolt connection
usb 3 drive is a new physical usb 3 drive (as compared to an ssd)

There are several very surprising results, at least to me:

The usb 3 connection on the Transcend drive is noticeably faster than the thunderbolt connection for writing and about the same for reading.

The read speed for both is faster than the write speed (that is to be expected) but the write speed for the Mini's internal ssd is faster than the read speed (and that was not what I expected).
This drive is much faster than the sold state drive I placed into a usb 3 enclosure.
This drive is very much faster than my physical 1TB drive.

So, while I think this is a very good solid state drive and I am happy with it, I currently am using it with usb 3 and not thunderbolt. What I have not done is compare is compare the speeds of this commercial drive with another 256GB commercial sold state drive. It may be that this drive is over-priced but, without a second sold state drive to use for comparison, I can not judge that. And I should also mention that this drive does not run hot as others have noted. Perhaps it is because it is used only to hold photos and thus only in use when I am editing photos, but I have not at any time seen this drive heat up.

USB Car Charger ,WiseTiger ®Lightest (1oz)Cigarette Lighter Vehicle Power Adapter,Designed for Apple and Android Devices(Black)
Offered by Wise Tiger
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but ..., September 6, 2015
I bought this to power my gps as the original power supply fell apart. This works very well and I have not had any trouble with it, however the device has a blue ring around the outside that glows when it is powered up and this can be a bit distracting, especially when it is dark outside. I have had to cover that light ring with electrical tape to stop the annoying glow. I understand the desire to show that the device has power but a smaller light would have been better, at least for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2016 6:44 AM PDT

EPS Replacement Brother TN450 Toner Cartridge, High Yield (2,600 Yield) - Black
EPS Replacement Brother TN450 Toner Cartridge, High Yield (2,600 Yield) - Black
Offered by MANGOKET
Price: $17.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatible and prints very well., September 6, 2015
I bought this toner to replace an exhausted cartridge for my Brother laser printer. The toner works perfectly, the pages are clear without streaks and as well printed as the original toner. What I can not say at this point is how long the toner will last.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9