Profile for Donald Schoengold > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Donald Schoengold "DON" RSS Feed (Las Vegas, NV USA)

Dotz Cord Identifiers, Cord and Cable Management for Home and Office, 5 Count, Bright Colors (DCI101CO-CB)
Offered by BestSource OfficeSupplies
Price: $9.14
7 used & new from $2.56

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Product; Ridiculously Overpriced, March 27, 2015
I got a bunch of these things for free and they are great. However, at 5 for $17, I just can't justify them. Way too overpriced for maybe 50 cents worth of plastic.

Triton Products 70015 DuraHook Steel/Plastic Pegboard Mounting and Spacer Kit for DuraBoard or 1/8-Inch and 1/4-Inch Pegboard, 15 Sets
Price: $8.60
3 used & new from $8.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 17, 2014
In the past I have used drilled out dowels as pegboard spacers. They work but are total pain. Using these things, I was able to hang a bunch of pegboards really quickly and by myself. Highly recommended.

Frigidaire FGMV174KF 1.7 Cu. Ft. 1000W Gallery Series Over the Range Microwave - Stainless Steel

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible User Interface - Deserves Zero Stars, December 30, 2013
Unfortunately, it is impossible to check out the user interface of a microwave in the store. If it were possible, we would never have bought this piece of junk.

I do have to admit that the basic requirements of a microwave that it heat things and cook things are handled competently by this unit. However, whomever designed the user interface obviously never used the unit.

For example -
1) One thing that many people use a microwave for is to warm up a cup of tea or coffee. This unit does not have a beverage warm button. It has lots of other useless buttons but no beverage button. The closest you can come to beverage button is to press Reheat and select the #2 option which is for soup. However, you need to go to the manual as there is nothing on the unit that said that the #2 option is soup.
2) The way you reduce the power level of the oven is insane. To set the microwave in my other house to 30%, you hit 2 buttons - power lever, then 3. On this piece of junk you have to hit the power level button 7 (yes 7) times as each press of the power level reduces the power by 10%. This is OK if you want to use 90% power as this requires that you hit the power level button just once. But what if you want less than 90% power. You have to hit the power level button over and over and over again.
3) The "add 30 seconds" button does not work in all modes. You can add 30 seconds to a pre-entered cook time. However, you can not use the 30 second button for predefined cook types such as popcorn. Often when you are doing microwave popcorn, the automatic timer is not quite enough and you have to add a bit of time to eliminate "old maids". The add 30 second button does not work in popcorn mode. The the unit automatically stops, you have to completely restart it.

This microwave is a poorly designed piece of junk. Do not buy it.

ProWeatherStation Wireless Data Logging Weather Station
ProWeatherStation Wireless Data Logging Weather Station
Offered by Flytec Computers
Price: $179.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Will Not Work in Low Humidity Areas, November 11, 2010
I have not bought this weather station but I have carefully checked the technical specifications at the vendor's WEB site. When you go to the data for humidity, you see the following sentence - "Humidity 10 to 99% (1% resolution) Accuracy: +/-5"". I live in Las Vegas where the humidity is often less than 10%. The weather station would be useless to me. There are a lot of stations out there with a humidity range of 1 - 100%. This is why I give it a rating of 2 stars.

Make sure that you check the specifications of a station before you buy it.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2013 8:22 AM PDT

Nikon EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery for D200, D300, D700 and D80 Digital SLR Cameras - Retail Packaging
Price: $37.49
38 used & new from $10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Does Not Warranty their own Batteries, May 27, 2010
I bought an extra battery from Nikon for my D300s. After about 3 months, the battery does not work in the camera. It takes a charge but when I insert the battery into the camera, the camera does not see the battery. I know that it is a battery problem and not a camera problem because my other battery works in the camera.

I called Nikon about the problem and their answer is "we do not warranty our own batteries". This mean that if you buy a Nikon branded battery for a Nikon camera from Nikon and it fails shortly after you purchase it, what you have is a useless paperweight.

I assumed that one advantage of buying products sold by a major camera vendor is that the vendor stands behind their product. I was obviously wrong.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2015 12:37 PM PDT

Zune 120 GB Video MP3 Player (Black)
Zune 120 GB Video MP3 Player (Black)
Offered by M-X-C Tech
8 used & new from $179.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent Hardware - Horrible Software, February 3, 2009
In order to better understand this review, I need to explain why I bought the Zune and how I want to use it. I want to use the Zune as an audio player only. I am totally uninterested in graphics or in video. I just like to have lots of albums at my disposal.

I never purchase songs off the net. Instead, I have ripped most of the CDs that I own and also borrow CDs from the library. My focus is the full CD, not the individual songs on the CD.

I purchased the Zune to upgrade a 20 GIG Dell Dudebox MP3 player because I had filled it up with 667 albums ripped as WMA files - this may seem like a lot of music but I like to have a lot of choices as to what I listen to. All of the music on my Dudebox is backed up to an external disk drive. I manage the music on the Dell using Red Chair Software's Dudebox Explorer. Except for the fact that my Dudebox was full, I was completely satisfied with what I had.

My choice was between the 120 GIG Zune and the 120 GIG Apple MP3 players. Since the Apple MP3 player could not support my hundreds of WMA ripped albums, the choice of the Zune seemed obvious.

I am satisfied with the Zune hardware but the Zune software is horrible. Of the 667 unprotected albums that I had ripped for my Dudebox and saved on my hard drive, the Zune software was completely successful for only about 400 albums. Some of the other albums were partly imported but many were totally ignored. I have tried to modify the tags on the songs in the albums with only limited success and each album must be done individually which is very time consuming.

Ripping albums is not much better. The Dell Dudebox software was easy to use. Microsoft's Windows Media Software is convenient to use for ripping CDs and has a good database that automatically finds cover art work. The library features on the computer is convenient to use.

The Zune software does none of these things. The software is a kluge. Album covers are rarely automatically found forcing you to do a manual search for the album cover and often the cover is not found at all. When this happens, you need to create a pseudo album cover manually.

As a final last straw, the software almost always fails to put the artist name on the first track of a CD. The first track artist is almost always listed as "unknown" forcing you to edit each file. As a part of this problem, the "unknown" track is not put in the same directory on your disk drive as the rest of the album but instead in a folder labeled as "unknown artist" with 1 file in it. This makes disk file management almost impossible.

The software on the Zune device itself is also a mess. It was easy for me to manage the 667 albums on my dudebox since I could go directly to the first letter of the album. This means that I do not have to scroll through the entire set of albums to find an album that I know starts with the letter "Y".

The Zune software does not have this alphabetic feature but forces you to scroll through the entire alphabet. Based on the ratio of the sizes of my Zune and Dudebox hard drives, I could potentially have almost 4000 albums on the Zune. The thought of having to scroll through 4000 albums to find the album I want is daunting.

Since the Zune hardware appears to be good, I hold out hope that Microsoft will fix the software problems. However, since we are now on version 3 of the Zune software and the problems still exist, I am not optimistic.

I am stuck with my Zune but I can not recommend that other people should buy it.

DON
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2015 11:40 AM PDT

Adobe Camera Raw for Digital Photographers Only (For Only)
Adobe Camera Raw for Digital Photographers Only (For Only)
by Rob Sheppard
50 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed - Review Edited, February 24, 2006
I bought the book on the basis of the reviews and on a quick read of a copy a friend owned. It looks really good on the surface and does have a lot of useful information.

One problem I found is that many of the example photos seem to be inserted only to increase the photo count. Also, because of printing limitations, I find it very difficult to see the differences between before and after examples.

I have edited this review to fix an error. However, I can not figure out how to change my rating from 2 stars to 4 stars. Consider this a 4 star review.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pelikan 200 Series Translucent Fountain Pen, July 11, 2004
I own 5 Pelikan fountain pens in addition to several other fountain pens. They include Pelikan 600 pens with fine, medium and broad nibs, one of the translucent pens (fine nib), and a 200 series solid pen.
They are all my everydat writing instruments and they write smoothly and are great. Using a fountain pen instead of a ball point makes my bad handwriting look better and more readable.
Unlike some of the other pens I own, even if you do not use a Pelikan pen for several days or even weeks, they start immediately and do not have to be dipped to prime them.
Also, they hold more ink than any of my other pens.

Photographing the Southwest: A Guide to the Natural Landmarks of Southern Utah & Southwest Colorado
by Laurent Martres
30 used & new from $8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, October 3, 2003
I judge travel books on how well they tell about places I have already been. If they miss on places you know about, you certainly can not trust them on new places.
Based on this criteria, both of Martres' books are excellent. All of the places he describes are really great places and he will get you to spots you would never know about w/o the book. Even if you travel without a camera and don't care about photos, both of his books should be in your travel library.