Profile for S. Mahler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Mahler RSS Feed (Evanston, IL)

Bach Partitas for Solo Violin
Bach Partitas for Solo Violin
Price: $18.34
15 used & new from $9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach Playing of Ambundant Color, November 3, 2010
I happen to love these recordings, as well as his recording of transcriptions of the Sonatas for solo violin. I find Korhonen's tone production ingratiating, and full of a range of colors. Other guitarists perform with perhaps a more "liquid" round tone, I suppose, but I rather prefer Korhonen's touch. I speculate that, in part, his tone arises from the particular color of his guitar, and wonder whether he's using less nail than most (can't tell from the cover photo). Anyway, it's quite to my taste and I don't find his tone hard or dry. What draws me in to his playing is the variety of color he gets, and the changes in color I find wonderfully expressive and full of interest. I like the way he shapes and characterizes phrases, brings out certain lines and voices. So I find these recordings eminently musical. At least for the moment, these are my favorite recordings of this music transcribed for guitar.

Koss USBDongle Adapter
Koss USBDongle Adapter

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, May 15, 2009
The microphone input on my Koss dongle never worked, and the output worked only briefly before dying. Moreover, the output sound was not as good as that from the headphone output on my MacBook Pro. After one use with my headphones, the device is now completely dead. So my rating is really zero stars. I'm glad that it seems to work for some, but I had no luck with it.