Profile for jenms > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jenms "Jen" RSS Feed (Gulfport, FL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Darcy's Story
Darcy's Story
by Janet Aylmer
Price: $11.90
435 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., October 25, 2006
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
I wish I had taken the time to read some reviews of this prior to buying it. I was not expecting a completely plagiarized retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but an alternate viewpoint story. The best of these I can recall reading was Mary Reilly, an alternate viewpoint of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde. That was a great read that introduced a whole new perspective to the story. Darcy's Story isn't really Darcy's story at all. It is a one-dimensional story where the same scenes from P&P are revisited from Darcy's viewpoint (supposedly), but he experiences these events exactly the way we were shown in P&P and has no new insights or thoughts that were not previously revealed to us. The only person who might be expected to like this book is someone who has never read P&P, because anyone who has will be disgusted with the way that perfect novel has been edited down to half its original length with a couple of new sentences added in that add absolutely nothing to the story. This should never have been published, and the so-called author should feel fortunate she used a pseudonym in writing this. I would be humilated to have my name attached to this book.

The Mars and Venus Diet and Exercise Solution: Create the Brain Chemistry of Health, Happiness, and Lasting Romance
by John Gray
239 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars John Gray and Isagenix = Perfect Combination, September 3, 2006
John Gray, for any who have had the pleasure of seeing him in person, is an absolutely amazing speaker. He is a genuine person who cares about people. He's funny, he's highly intelligent, and he really understands the fundamental differences between men and women. We are truly different creatures.

He created the Mars and Venus Wellness Solution as an all natural alternative to prescription medications for depression, bipolar, ADD, ADHD and similar issues. John teamed with Isagenix, an international Health and Wellness company that I also represent, because he found that his personal experience with Isagenix products was that they helped to "create the brain chemistry of health, happiness, and lasting romance" - the very foundation of his work with men and women and relationships. John worked with our formulator to create a new line - the Mars Venus Wellness Solution, "the first and only program ever created that's designed to support healthy brain chemistry while considering the unique and special needs that make men and women different."

These products are fabulous. This is what the book is about. This is not an attempt to market on the weight loss craze - it is a natural progression in John's work to help men and women become healthy physically and emotionally.

Danse Macabre
Danse Macabre
by Laurell K. Hamilton
Price: $5.30
352 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Remind me why I'm still buying these?, July 11, 2006
This review is from: Danse Macabre (Hardcover)
I have loved this series since I started reading it 7 years ago, but it's taken a severe turn for the worst in the last couple years. I'm sick to death of the ardeur! Whatever happened to the original Anita who was smart, tough and a bit sarcastic? This one bores me to tears. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the book, but I had to put it down. I will finish it eventually, but I had to take a break because there is NO PLOT beyond having Anita find new volunteers to feed the ardeur. Just when something starts to happen, the action is interrupted by another orgy scene.

The negative reviews have nothing to do with people being averse to sex. It's that this series is nothing like it was meant to be. Someone mentioned Edward - one of the best characters in the series who should never have been married off. I think that was the "shark jumping" moment in the series. It has never recovered.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (Live the Life)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (Live the Life)
Offered by Bargain Buyers Software
Price: $19.89
34 used & new from $4.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Addictive - Not Difficult, March 28, 2005
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I just bought this game and already am addicted. I do agree with some of the other people's gripes about the repetitive nature of the game - there are several places where the animation and sequence of character interaction is identical and could be mixed up a bit. The graphics are awesome and the views when sailing the seas is great - the colors and the overall flavor of the Carribean is well represented. The game is almost too easy when playing in the lowest 2 levels. I found it very hard to beat named Pirates in the 3rd level, however, so I'm sticking with Journeyman level for awhile until I get more practice with the sword fighting.

As a woman, I have the usual complaint I have with most RPGs which is lack of female characters - in this game, you don't have the option of playing a female pirate. I would like to see an expansion pack with a female lead character. The romance storyline would have to be altered for that character, but the female character could have a relationship with another pirate. Speaking of the romance storyline, I found it extremely difficult to get the steps correct when dancing with the governor's daughter until I found an online game guide that gave the sequence of steps which follow a set pattern of 4. This made it easy to learn and without that guide, I doubt I would have ever mastered that aspect of the game. I also wish that the personal status screen would keep track of all the romances your character has - not just the one with the highest rating. The character should be able to have several different romances simultaneously, but the status page only keeps track of one. I also wish the pirate did not age so quickly - my first character was too old to fight well at 35, so on my next character, I found that not dividing the plunder was the best way to keep him from aging rapidly, thus allowing me to get further with the character. The drawback to this is carrying around too much gold that you risk losing to another pirate in battles at sea. I wish there were an option of burying your treasure - as far as I know, this isn't possible. Since you can find hidden treasures that other pirates have buried, you should have the option of burying your own treasure.

I hope they make some improvements and put out a new version - with female characters as well as some of the other enhancements that it needs. Still, this is a very fun game.

Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, Book 4)
Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, Book 4)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
248 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all Mythology and Paranormal Lovers!, January 24, 2005
I loved this! It's only the 2nd book in the series I've read - the first was Night Play which is only mediocre at best - but now I will have to read more books in the series. I love how she ties in classical mythology with the vampire and werewolf myths - it really works here. In this book, the 2 main characters are likeable and their relationship and love scenes aren't gag-inducing like Night Play and others in the genre I could name. You really get into the story and care about what happens to the characters. The minor characters - like Acheron and Simi - also add interest to the story. I look forward to finding out more about some of these characters in her other books. A great read!

Shopaholic & Sister (Shopaholic Series)
Shopaholic & Sister (Shopaholic Series)
by Sophie Kinsella
434 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible - (...), January 22, 2005
I thought this book was horrible - I liked the first 3 books in the series, but this one was horribly written and the main character - who had previously been charming and loveable - in this book became a shallow, pretentious "cow" like her erstwhile nemesis Alicia "Bitch-Long Legs". I can't believe she never learned anything from getting herself into trouble with her spending - but I suppose this is because Luke keeps bailing her out. I was amazed that Luke wasn't ready to divorce her after the purchases arrived from their 10-month 5-star-hotel trip around the world - a trip that would cost most people their life savings. When Jess - an annoying character herself - tries to talk some sense into Becky, Becky's response is just to say "Well, nevermind." And go shopping again. She goes to visit Jess to get help when she believes her marriage is in "tatters" because of her excessive spending and the first thing she does is to go into a shop and start buying stuff she doesn't need.

The book became more painful to read with each chapter. I wanted to reach through the book and smack some sense into Becky a couple times when she kept doing the same thing again and again and again. In the first three books, she makes mistakes but she learns from them. In this book, it's like she never learned anything from her past mistakes of going out and buying more stuff when she's upset. What made Becky likeable in the previous books had been her naivete and charm, but in this book she comes across as extremely shallow and only concerned with money and material possessions. What a disappointment.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Piece - Great Price, January 3, 2005
I'm very happy with this bed - I got it marked down for much less than the current price. Very good quality piece of furniture and easy to assemble.

BISSELL 6700 Butler Revolution Canister Vacuum
BISSELL 6700 Butler Revolution Canister Vacuum

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, December 21, 2004
I don't know if I got a bad vaccuum or what, since other people seem to like it, but this will not pick up anything on my hardwoods - I've had it less than 6 months and it only worked right the first couple times I used it. I checked connections, the bag (virtually empty) etc. to no avail. I feel like I got ripped off because I didn't want to jump through a bunch of hoops and spend money to return it when it only cost $60. I just replaced it with a Kenmore canister vaccuum which works great - picks up cat litter around the cat box, etc.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition)
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $41.99
40 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Trilogy, December 20, 2004
I've watched these films over and over and never tire of them - the extended versions are even better because they add to the story - the films are beautiful, powerful and engaging - how anyone can watch these and not fall in love with the story and the characters is beyond me. If you loved the onscreen versions of the films, you will especially love these extended versions.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Four-Disc Special Extended Edition)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Four-Disc Special Extended Edition)
DVD ~ Elijah Wood