Profile for Soulster > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Soulster RSS Feed (US)

Page: 1 | 2
HRT - MICROSTREAMER
HRT - MICROSTREAMER
Offered by Huppins
Price: $199.00
9 used & new from $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound, April 29, 2014
This review is from: HRT - MICROSTREAMER (Electronics)
Caught onto the microstreamer from Hifi reviews. It performs wonderfully in a decent hifi system and is a night-and-day upgrade to the computer's onboard sound. Performs particularly well with headphones. I wish it had a digital-in and it does not work with my ipod classic. Very satisfied!

Canterbury Hoe Fork, Forged 4 Prongs
Canterbury Hoe Fork, Forged 4 Prongs
Offered by Forgecraft USA
Price: $58.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., April 3, 2014
When I received the package it felt too light. However on assembly it felt as heavy as you ever would want it to be - you would not want to go heavier. large head with a long fiberglass r.p. handle.

Solidly built four pronged hoe that will make tilling large areas a lot easier. haven't seen one anywhere else. This one is a keeper!

Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0 Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic Digital SLR Cameras
Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0 Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $968.00
11 used & new from $910.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, If you know what you're after., June 5, 2013
I don't own this lens. I know, I know.. But what I did is the next best thing - rent from an online outfit call Borrow Lenses for a week, and very glad I did so.

I'm an amateur photographer who does not want to delve too deeply into the intricacies of photography but would still like to take half decent photos. The switch to a Canon S100 showed me how useful some extra wideness could be (switch from 28mm to 24mm equiv. wide). The canon got damaged so I decided to move a step up and replace it with a Panasonic GF5. In the 7-14mm zoom I was hoping for a great walk-around lens that could capture dramatic wide angle views.

Here's what I found:

Honestly a 14mm long end was too wide for half of the walk-around shots I wanted to take. If the lens extended to 18 or 21mm it would have covered most of my desired range. With this lens I found myself constantly switching out to the standard 14-42mm. Probably the reason why some people have moved from the 7-14mm to Olympus' 9-18mm.

Positioning a super-wide lens to get a good composition takes some work and skill. If you want a great close-up foreground you may have to bring the camera pretty close to the foreground object, which may not be easy in many cases. It may also mean some serious walking for landscapes, in order to recompose a shot. Handling perspective was a tricky business for my amateur self.

With such a wide view I found the dynamic range of many landscape scenes overwhelming. I frequently wished for graduated filters and polarizers, which cannot be screwed onto the end of this lens.

The f4.0 aperture was limiting for indoor shots. Many indoor and night shots that the Canon S100 would have handled with ease did not come out so well.

In summary the 7-14mm is a gem of a lens for what it does and I got some excellent shots out of it. However it is just not for me. If you like your photography in the wide end but still want a all-in-one walk-around lens, the Panasonic 12-35mm is probably a much better fit. If you want to capture those special super-wides and don't mind carrying a lens specifically for that, then the 7-14mm may fit the bill. Just be prepared to spend more than your usual effort to get good results. For me this lens is too specialized and limiting for such a heavy investment. My time with it, though, was a great introduction to the world o super-wides.

Fuji Film FinePix Real 3D W3 Essentials Accessory Kit
Fuji Film FinePix Real 3D W3 Essentials Accessory Kit
Offered by H AND B DIGITAL
Price: $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Case, November 27, 2011
Bought this kit specifically for the case. The case is huge, like a big purse perched on your belt! I much prefer the Case Logic TBC-303 which is more discreet and has a decent compartment for storing batteries and such. The expired prints offer is a joke.

Canon PSC-3200 Deluxe Leather Case
Canon PSC-3200 Deluxe Leather Case
Price: $15.95
15 used & new from $4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for the S100 with a little persuasion, November 23, 2011
Here's the deal: The Canon S100 will slide in very easily and snugly into this case. Problem is that the case does not let you pry out the camera so readily. There are two solutions: First is to use the camera strap to pull it out - comes out without a hitch. If your camera has the strap you will have no problem at all. Another option is to squish the sides so that the cardboard reinforcement buckles and gives more room for the camera to slip in and out. This is not nearly as bad as it sounds. The cardboard reinforcement inside the leather sides really is not there to protect the camera, it just helps the case keep its shape. The case's shape and functionality hardly suffers from this treatment, IMHO. Once you do this the case works fine. I carry two belt cases on occasion so the vertical orientation suits me better than the official S90 PSC 900 case.

I compared this case to the PSC 55 which works so well for my Canon SD870IS. The reason why the PSC 55 works well is that it has sloped openings on the top of the sides that allow you to pinch the camera's top and bottom to pull it out. This one does not. If you don't use a camera strap then you will have to put the camera in control-side-first. Otherwise you will end up pressing the camera's controls when trying to pull it out. Four stars because this limitation would affect an S90 too, which the case is advertised for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 7:18 PM PST

Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black)
Offered by Electromax
Price: $329.99
55 used & new from $164.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Seductive Little Thing, November 22, 2011
For anyone who does not think the S100 does not have much to offer over the S95 I have two words for you: "24 mm". I have used 28mm (field of view) equivalents for quite a while now and a recent experience with a 35mm equivalent camera reminded me why. It left me wondering how people get by with such constricted fields of view - hardly anything could fit in the frame. This 24mm wide angle has opened a whole 'nother point of view! Going from a 28mm POV to 24mm is as big a step as going from 35mm to 28mm.

My retired Canon SD870IS is a marvelous little wonder that was my foray back into the world of fully automatic cameras. It has served extremely well and with almost enough adjustments to do everything required of it. It is now severely battered, has a huge grey splotch on the lcd screen (known problem) but still produces excellent results. I've always looked at the S95 and thought longingly, 'If only it had a 24mm like the Panasonic LX5.' Conversely I looked at the LX5 and thought, 'If only it had HDR and was as compact as the S95.' That way I could safely justify staying away from either. Well, with the S100 Canon called my bluff!

From very limited use, impressions are as follows:
This camera blows the 870IS out of the water in terms of responsiveness.
Every time I power up and look into the screen it is like ,'Whoa, that is a dramatic view!' That's 24mm for you..
In auto mode you will almost never run out of light for a decent flash-less shot.
In video mode, the 870IS would blur out when zooming in on a subject. The S100 refreshingly retains autofocus.
The various scene modes are fun to play with.

Cons:
My hunch is that the S100 does not produce quite as vivid results as the SD870 when left to its own devices. May need to play around with it more.
I preferred to take pics on my SD870 at 3MP resolution. With the S100 its either 2MP or 6MP+
The zooming action is super-fast, which is not such a great thing in video mode when you want a more gradual zoom.

That Canon added a 24mm to this camera is insane. It is worth ten times the paltry increase in MSRP over the S95. C'mon people, you know how exponentially valuable a wider field of view is! This camera is a classic case of 'give them an inch, they want a mile.' Canon has done a such great job of stuffing everyone's wishes into this sock that they are left digging for excuses why it does not do more. Enjoy this beauty!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2012 10:58 AM PST

ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet (Dock Sold Separately)
ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet (Dock Sold Separately)
Offered by fashion electronics
Price: $389.99
95 used & new from $96.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet!, June 19, 2011
Was really debating whether to hold out for the Galaxy 10.1 but decided to take the plunge. This tablet is a joy to use. When I played with a Xoom at the local Best Buy, Honeycomb at first felt unnecessarily complicated. After taking literally a couple of minutes to google how a couple of features work, it has become an absolute joy to use. It looks quite sleek and far less bulky than the Acer W500. I went to check out a Galaxy 10.1 at the store and honestly the apparent difference in size was hardly enough to sway me.

I was able to load all kinds of stuff onto a 16GB card and plug it into a tablet. Movies of various formats play beautifully, documents are snappy to use. It just works so well. Glad I stuck with the Asus - the 16Gb card is already used up and I can swap it out at will.

There is light bleed when viewing a totally black screen but you forget about it as soon as you start using the tablet. The speakers are way too quiet. The last gripe is that the hdmi does not work with my tv which apparently is an issue with all Panasonic Plasmas. These are hardly deal breakers for me. The only real problem I have is putting it down - it is that addictive to use.

Velocity Micro Cruz Reader 7" Touch/Android/Wi-Fi
Velocity Micro Cruz Reader 7" Touch/Android/Wi-Fi
Offered by TheFactoryDepot
Price: $89.99
15 used & new from $39.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Has Access to Amazon Appstore, May 25, 2011
The good news for those hungering for apps is that you now can install the Amazon Appstore from the Cruz Marketplace. The Amazon Appstore is a very healthly alternative to the Android Marketplace.

The Cruz was bought primarily to read documents - pdfs, notes, basic stuff. If you need to zoom into a document then things become tedious and tricky because of the uncooperative resistive screen and lack of pinch to zoom. I tried calibrating the unit but that did not alleviate the pain much. You are not going to enjoy typing or manipulating stuff on this thing, even with a stylus. Some clicks are almost capacitively responsive. Others will have you stabbing the screen with a vengeance.

One last disappointment is that it does not have a mic - something I would consider really basic and dirt cheap to include. Means I cannot use it for Shazam, Sound Hound, or any sound recording.

It probably makes a good straight-up ebook reader and can run apps that require minimal input. If you want more than that I'd advise you look for something better.

GoPro HD Hero 960
GoPro HD Hero 960
2 used & new from $339.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not for Night Action, April 1, 2011
This review is from: GoPro HD Hero 960 (Camera)
Have been recording night with events cheap cameras from ebay. Decided to move up to a GoPro to get a consistent recording experience, especially since it was touted as having a large image sensor for greater sensitivity. It was crap in a not very brightly lit venue.

From a couple of daytime tests the results were great. It justs did not work for my intended purpose. The lens is vulnerable and hard to clean if used without the casing.

Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch LCD
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch LCD
Offered by We Go Dig
Price: $279.00
19 used & new from $169.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Thing, December 6, 2010
I am a long time stereoscopic photography enthusiast who has been waiting decades for a modern 3D camera - one that incorporates even basic technology such as autofocus or even autoexposure. There has not been a single one for ages. Then out of the blue pops Fujifilm with this masterpiece!

Considering what it holds, this is a surprisingly sleek package. It is the size of an average point and shooter, only about 1/2 an inch wider.
The screen is huge, bright and clear. A bit harder to view out in the sun though.
It is a bit of a smudge magnet - screen especially.
It initially takes practice not to cover the right lens with your finger. I put my fingers into it a couple of times (Make sure you research how to do so before you attempt to clean a delicate camera lens).
The flash can be a bit weak.
Takes longer to find focus indoors. Several pics, especially when taken by guests, have been out of focus.
When scrolling through pictures, what it shows at first looks slightly out of focus, then sharpens after a fraction of a second.
Not everyone sees the 3D. People who require strong specs seem to have the most trouble. There are simple online tests you can use to check your 3D vision.
Gas guzzler: It is barely okay for taking a night of party shots, but you definitely want to carry a backup battery or two for extended work. You also tend to review and show off the shots a lot more.
The camera does not lag on you. It will take the shot if you insist, regardless of whether the flash/focus is ready or not.
When focusing on your shot the previewing switches to 3D - very neat.

The 3D pictures are amazing and breathtaking. Plenty of ahs and gasps from people as soon as they see the pics. It has even spooked more than one person. Average for 2D.. but why would you want to go there :-) ? Anyway, buy this camera primarily for its 3D abilities, not its (acceptable) 2D performance.

The ideal viewing medium is a 3D HDTV. Lets put the state of 3D TV tech into perspective: 3D technology is kind of like electric power for automobiles. Just like we want an electric car that we can charge in 60 seconds and drive for 400 miles, we also want glasses-free technology for our 3D TVs. Problem is the enabling technology is just not there. If you can live within the limits of current technology, however, they are fantastic.

If you don't mind using your camera as the primary viewer, its glasses-free experience is out of this world! You will not find yourself thinking that the technology is not mature. It is magical, like something out of Star Trek!

I am honestly surprised that this camera is as cheap as it is. It is way more than simply two cameras stuck together. First of all this is a very niche camera that is not going to sell in millions to cover its hefty development price tag. Fujifilm has had to design dedicated technology and processors for this camera it cannot use elseware its range to spread the cost. The camera also uses a unique large, very high quality, and undoubtedly expensive lenticular lcd screen. The slight lag in the resolution of pictures during preview? Understandable when you consider it has 20 megapixels to chew. The short battey life? That is reasonable considering it is basically two cameras in one. That is in addition to the 3D processing overhead - kinda like a 4x4 of cameras. To keep the camera sleek the battery had to be kept small. From my use I'd say they made a great compromise.

This camera is a great complement to your 3D HDTV. No copying of files or any complicated setup business - just hook it up with a HDMI cable and play. If you have a 3D HDTV, get this camera! You can also view your 3D pictures with cheap viewers for use with standard computer monitor screens (Search Loreo).

Finding a suitable case took some research. The one I settled on is the Caselogic TBC 303 Camera/Camcorder case. It is only slightly larger than the camera, has a belt loop and a zip pocket that can hold a couple of spare batteries. Fujifilm has just released a dedicated belt pouch.

For storage I am using a Transcend 8GB class 10 SDHC card which has worked flawlessly for recording 3D HD Video. The pics and video take up far more storage than usual so make sure you buy a card with adequate writing speed and capacity.

This camera literally has no competition on the market. No other company offers such a product, which is why I am amazed Fujifilm bothered to do such a thorough job. Well done, Fuji. Buy without reservation!

** Update 12/13/2011 **
Lost my first one and bought a replacement. It came with a euro plug on charger. You can remove this euro plug to expose the us plug.

Buy a screen protector - the screen scratches very easily! First time I've felt the need for one in a camera.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2010 9:06 AM PST