Profile for Alan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alan RSS Feed

Edox Men's 64008 3 AIN WRC Big Date White Dial Watch
Edox Men's 64008 3 AIN WRC Big Date White Dial Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Swiss Watch, December 11, 2012
Very happy with my purchase to date. I did not pay anything close to the full MSRP of the watch, but it may well be worth full price.

I immediately changed the rubber band for a black croc grain leather strap. The stock rubber strap is molded to fit between the lugs, but it's for a very large wrist. It also cheapens the look of the watch for me personally. No deduction for me here, becuase the leather strap lends itself perfectly to the look of the watch.

The overall case diameter of 42mm is great and no too large ( I have a 7" circumference wrist ). The watch is well balanced and a pleasure to wear. The second dial lines up perfectly with its markers and setting the time and date when rotating the crown is smooth. Both good indications of a quality watch in my opinion. The big date function is very cool and balances the overall design of the dial perfectly.

Purchased to wear with smart and smart casual and it does the job well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 5:15 AM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars 1 Small complaint Only, November 26, 2012
By far my favorite watch, I kept an eye on this watch for months and when it was discounted, I didn't hesitate. There is a great Youtube review on this watch that also helped me seal the deal. It feels like a quality timepiece and just looks cool!

My 1 star reduction and only complaint is the crown for the unidirectional bezel. I wear my watch forward on my wrist and it tends to dig into my skin and moves the bezel on it's own. I frequently have to re-set it to the 12'oclock position throughout the day, but that's just another excuse to look at the watch...I'm a poser and don't really need a watch like this anyway, so hardly ever use the stop watch function. It works for me, but maybe not for someone that will depend on this feature for something important.

The crown was also a bit sharp when new, so I took a jewellery file and just lightly filed down the sharp ridges for more comfort. At 43mm it's at the top end of what I can get away with wearing in terms of size ( I have a 7" circumference wrist ), but it's well balanced and is just a pleasure to wear.

I like the fact that it does not look like a typical pilots watch even though it has an aviation theme. I read somewhere that the precision timing of the "Airboss" on an aircraft carrier was the inspiration for this line of watches from Vic.

Hadley-Roma Men's MSM898RA-220 22-mm Black Alligator Grain Leather WatchStrap
Hadley-Roma Men's MSM898RA-220 22-mm Black Alligator Grain Leather WatchStrap
Price: $25.69
7 used & new from $25.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Strap For The Money, November 26, 2012
I bought 2 of these straps at the same time for 2 different watches and they are holding up well.

20mm MODENA Flat Silicone Rubber dive watch band, strap.
20mm MODENA Flat Silicone Rubber dive watch band, strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up!, November 26, 2012
Good strap, very comfortable to wear and is holding up well. I was looking for something that was not too thick to replace the original strap on my Swiss Army watch.

Hadley-Roma Men's MSM905RA-220 22-mm Black Genuine Leather WatchStrap
Hadley-Roma Men's MSM905RA-220 22-mm Black Genuine Leather WatchStrap
Price: $22.79
4 used & new from $21.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not holding up., November 26, 2012
Have worn this strap for a while now and it is not holding up well. The leather seems a bit too stiff.

Hamilton Men's H38511733 Jazzmaster Thinline Black Dial Watch
Hamilton Men's H38511733 Jazzmaster Thinline Black Dial Watch
Offered by Watchsavings
Price: $320.40
2 used & new from $320.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch!, November 26, 2012
Very simple clean watch that wears well and looks good with smart clothing. I think Hamilton make a good product and don't cut corners with quality.

Luminox Men's A.1847 Field Chronograph Alarm Stainless Steel Watch
Luminox Men's A.1847 Field Chronograph Alarm Stainless Steel Watch

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality?, November 26, 2012
I didn't know much about Luminox watches before this purchase, but after a little research they seem to have a fairly good reputation. I liked the overall vintage look of this watch, chrono feature and the added detail of a sapphire crystal glass. This is my own personal way of separating quality watches that are sometimes ( heavily discounted ) from the MSRP and ones that are just pretending.

I always find it interesting that some watches sell ( at times ) for up to 90% off their MSRP, which could be well north of five hundred and they have a mineral glass, or some other name that is really just a mineral glass. A quality brand would have sapphire crystal, and if they do, I'm sure they will include a decent movement as well.

The watch arrived on time and in a nice box which one would expect for a watch of this MSRP. The overall size of 42mm was a good fit for me ( I have a 7" circumference wrist ) and the quality of the leather band is decent. It also lends itself well to the look of the watch and I liked the double pin buckle. I would also agree with other reviews that said the dial was a much nicer colour than the online pics depict. The watch is well balanced, wears well and Luminox lighting markers on the dial and hands are neat.

So why the 1 star review you might ask? When I first put the watch on, only minutes after receiving it, I noticed that one of the chrono hands had fallen off and was floating around loose under the glass. The one star rating automatically generates an "I hate it statement", which is not true. I'm just very disappointed that it did not live up to my expectations and returning it is a PITA, even though Amazon make it as easy as possible.

For me it comes down to 2 things 1.) Poor quality control that should have been noticed before shipping, or 2.) It fell off while in transit. Either way is discouraging for me.

My watch is my only accessory and I have several. I take very good care of them and I want to be confident they will last a while and not be in for unnecessary repairs.