Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for A. Irwin > Reviews

Browse

A. Irwin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Irwin "Craig" RSS Feed (Vancouver BC Canada)

DEWALT DW718 12-Inch Double-Bevel Slide Compound Miter Saw
DEWALT DW718 12-Inch Double-Bevel Slide Compound Miter Saw
Offered by MDSToolSales
Price: $825.00
2 used & new from $825.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Saw, October 30, 2005
The new DeWalt DW718 is a very good saw.

For two months I have been looking at miter saws - and in the end it came down to the new Hitachi 12" or this one.

Who am I - for 20 years I have been building and finishing custom houses.

Why did I buy this one?

1. Because it cuts 16" - and sometimes I really need to do this - when I cut shelves for a closet, when I cut stair treads, 2x16 Lvl, 14" TrussJoists ...

2. Because it cuts a 2x12 at 45 degrees - sometimes I cut rafter tops and tails or facia...

3. It's lighter and less bulky than the Hitachi - I have to carry it to and from my truck.

4. I have used it for a month and I find it accurate ( with reference to deflection - I can make every sliding compound miter saw deflect by pushing it sideways - sometimes I do this when I am going down a line and the saw blade is not quite on it. )This one is no different than any other.

Why would I have bought the Hitachi if it had features one, two and three.

1. Because I really like the digital readouts - to read the Deltas' tilt I have to pull out my glasses.

2. I have owned a Hitachi for 15 years and I love my saw - I trust their workmanship.

PS - The Dewalt has the lousiest dust collection I have ever seen - I don't see how it could possibly work (in a shop this might matter )...