Profile for Patrick Oden > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 533

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Patrick Oden RSS Feed (San Dimas, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Brentwood Home S-Bed, 11-Inch Organic Latex and Gel Memory Foam Mattress, CertiPUR-US, Made in USA, 25 Year Warranty, Natural Wool Layer, Medium, Queen Size
Offered by SleepShop
Price: $850.00
2 used & new from $750.00

5.0 out of 5 stars a sleeper hit, July 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've been sold on memory foam toppers for a number of years. Comfortable sleep for a fraction of the price. But with a bed spring, mattress, and a topper, the bed is pretty tall. As we reorganize our various rooms, it was a good time to reassess our bed situation. The mattress with the topper goes into the guest room (where are frequent family visitors will appreciate the larger size than the full bed), and we go lower profile with this mattress and a Classic Brands Europa Deluxe Wood Slat Platform Mattress Foundation Bed Frame.

Love the packaging of mattresses these days. Heavy box but much more manageable to get into the house and right room than before.

In terms of comfort, I'm impressed. I am a very warm sleeper, and so the latex offers more temperature comfort than the memory foam (and we had a nice topper). I like that it doesn't slip around or feel unstable on the edges, which is important since our young kids sometimes like to crawl into our bed and that means I'm relegated to the edges.

Very pleased overall.

SKLZ Pro Training Goal, 5' x 3'
SKLZ Pro Training Goal, 5' x 3'
Price: $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars GOAAAAAALLLLL!!!!, July 18, 2015
This review is from: SKLZ Pro Training Goal (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got the 5' x 3' version. Small goal, but very secure. Great for target practice or small field or small teams with no dedicated goalie. Use this with my kids and with friends, with great success and no bothering at all with the goal once it's set up.

Nature Bound Binoculars Toy
Nature Bound Binoculars Toy
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I spy with my green eyes, July 14, 2015
This review is from: Nature Bound Binoculars Toy (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 3 year old daughter loves being outside and notices everything. She goes on weekly adventures outdoors with her grandpa and often with me or her mom in addition. She's curious and attentive, but easily distracted and not very careful. I wanted to help her develop her curiosity more but didn't want to invest too much at this point.

These binoculars are a very useful addition to her outing paraphernalia. They provide a decent zoom, without too much bother. If they break or are left outside I'm not too worried. A great introduction to helping her see farther, and get used to using nice tools (that I'll help her learn how to, but not yet trust her to, take care of). I like they look like standard binoculars and are instantly recognizable as such by my daughter who has seen more higher quality binoculars. So far no complaints about comfort. The quality of lens is what you'd expect for the price.

18k Yellow Gold Plated Sterling Silver Round Cubic Zirconia 6.25mm Lever Back Dangle Earrings (2 cttw)

5.0 out of 5 stars Look fancy without spending fancy, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's always nice to receive something that fits expectations and has no unfortunate surprises. These earrings were a little small than I expected, but that was totally fine. Not garish, a worthwhile accessory without breaking the bank. If you like the way these look, you'll like these when they arrive. Not all jewelry is like that, so for me that's the key element to note.

3-IN-ONE 120070 Lock Dry Lube, 2.5 oz, Clear
3-IN-ONE 120070 Lock Dry Lube, 2.5 oz, Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars lock and unlock, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We're living in an old rental house. Which means, among other things, there's a lot of minor irritations that I'm not going to invest in fixing since we'll be moving before too long. This lock lube takes care of a few irritations, in a way that seems to last longer than WD-40. Easy application with the included straw. The bottle isn't that big, but you don't need very much. Noticed an immediate difference.

Reading the Comments: Likers, Haters, and Manipulators at the Bottom of the Web
Reading the Comments: Likers, Haters, and Manipulators at the Bottom of the Web
by Joseph Michael Reagle
Price: $17.79
48 used & new from $8.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually..., June 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In academic studies, it's common to have texts that are primarily literature reviews. They usually are not not best reads nor offer the most application. However, they're essential for delving into a topic, theme, or study of any kind. In looking at these, one has validity only inasmuch as they can show they know the broad field and what people have written about it. Now, for every text on a topic to do this would be unwieldy and re-inventing the wheel. So, some scholars do the yeoman's work of writing a literature review so that such studies can be cited, discussed, broadened, analyzed. The groundwork is done, so other scholars or interested parties can use the material for different purposes.

Reagle here has done this for that most diffuse sort of literature: internet comments. Diffuse but not unimportant, as a great deal of worth both in content and style can be gleaned. Indeed, I've found that comments really give a very interesting perspective on the broad range and general pattern of human response. I've become very interested in comments, not because I expect my mind to be changed (though this happens) but because I learn so much about people in general. We have social boundaries in most of life, but there are a few contexts where the boundaries are not formed, leaving us to expose our true personalities. Online comments are a lot like driving in that way, you can tell a lot about a person, or people, by how they drive, and what comments are left.

So, while on what may seem an ephemeral topic, Reagle offers a great resource. He gives a good overview, showing he has does rigorous and long term study, offering good frameworks and analysis. Then in each chapter he focuses on different kinds of comments/commenters: the informed, the manipulated, those seeking improvement, the alienated, the shaped, and the bemused. Often you can find all of these in the same comment thread! For those experienced with the online world, this won't be ground breaking, but it does offer a cohesive and fairly comprehensive perspective that can be then properly cited and referred to.

A great resource for my own research and writing on social media and anthropology

Extreme Max 3006.7228 BoatTector 24" Contour Fender Value Pack, White
Extreme Max 3006.7228 BoatTector 24" Contour Fender Value Pack, White
Price: $24.45

5.0 out of 5 stars multi-purpose padding, June 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very straightforward. Durable and very user friendly, comes with two lines that are easily attached. Firm padding, but not too firm. They're not very long, so not for a big boat, but that's not my situation. I liked the shape, better than the round ones I've used before. Gives a lot of flexibility for use besides as fenders, and on a boat where space can be tight, that's very nice to have something that can be used as fenders, or a seat, or padding.

Given what I've read, these rectangle shapes aren't good for long term use, more surface area on the boat means they rub as the boat moves. The round one roll. Short term, that's not an issue. So more for boats that you put in the water and then use docks for various reasons than boats that are kept at docks.I have the white, but I would likely get another of the darker colors in the future, mostly because of dirt or stains or such that happen.

I can't attest to long term durability yet, and that's an important issue, so if I have any problems I'll post an update here. As of now, these are a great buy. Quite usable without too much cost.

Wenzel Traveler Pack, Black, 23 x 12 x 13-Inch
Wenzel Traveler Pack, Black, 23 x 12 x 13-Inch
Price: $60.40
4 used & new from $48.32

5.0 out of 5 stars there and back again, June 22, 2015
This review is from: Wenzel Traveler Pack (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an ideal bag for traveling on planes for short trips or if you're wanting to pack light. It's surprisingly roomy, with a big compartment and a lot of different pockets for various items, keeping organization under control.

Ideal for flying without having to check bags, the main bag can go above your heads, while the small detachable can be used at your seat. Likewise, with tourist travel, leave the bigger bag in your hotel, take the smaller one for day trips. As a lover of water, the two roomy water bottle holders will be sufficient for decent sized bottles, like my 40oz Klean Kanteens.

It's not a hiking backpack, it's a travel backpack, and it's really an amazing design. Only time and use will determine the long term durability, but it seems pretty solid. All the straps stow away, with there even being a zippable cover for the shoulder strap, a handy addition should you want to check this bag, or are using it/carrying it in a way that the straps are annoyances.

For us, this is an ideal bag to bring when we fly or, I say with a bit of hope, a great bag for traveling around in Europe or such destinations, where you want to have enough resources, but don't want to be weighed down or bothered by heavy luggage. You really can pack well for a week with this (if you're efficient) and that makes this really versatile.

Smith's 50525 10-N-1 Survival Pal Multi-Tool
Smith's 50525 10-N-1 Survival Pal Multi-Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars A casual friend for survival, June 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a survivalist guy, but I spent a fair amount of time outside, camping/hiking. Meaning, I'm likely close to the target audience of this product, especially lately, where I've not been out of cell phone range for a year or so. Add to this preface, my experience hiking in Joshua Tree. Overconfidence from prior visits, reliance on a GPS that stopped working, led to a long hike towards an oasis that, at some point, veered the wrong way. We realized well too late we were going the wrong way and heading farther into the rocky expanse. Some hikers coming the other direction confirmed this. Time to turn back. So far in, that twilight arrived. It was getting dark. Joshua Tree with no moon dark. There was a point that we realized that if we didn't get to a recognizable trail, we'd have to stay out all night and wait for morning. I rustled around in my small bag and found what I had been hoping against all hope was there, my headlamp that I brought along for the campsite. The batteries were low, but worked well enough. We got back, an 8 hour day of scrambling, sliding, tearing clothes. Exhausted and exhilarated (at least I was).

Ever since then, I've been very good about having emergency tools even on short hikes. A person never knows what will happen or when. That's what I thought of when I received this. This is a "what if" tool. It's not a primary survival tool, nor something you'd want to rely on for regular use. It's very light, compact, and can stay in a very small bag, there when you need it. The tool you have is better than the best tool, and this is something that can stay ready for use.

I didn't experience any of the problems noted by other reviews. The multi-tool came fully functioning, and while some elements were stiff at first, everything is pretty easily accessible. I live in California, so concerns about cold aren't really a factor. The compass is pretty cheap, but can help orient general direction to find landmarks. The paracord is less useful, as I can't imagine retying it so compactly and so will likely never untie it. You'll need your own clip or carabiner to attach the tool itself to anything. It's not the highest quality, to be sure, as the plastic seems of minimal quality, even as the knife, saw, sharpener are higher quality.

For what this is, as a pal for survival, something to leave in the car or your small hiking bag, this works fine. Having tried it out, I have no doubt it would have been a help had we needed to spend the night in the desert. So, I wish I had it then, and based on that, am glad I have it now.

Bubula Stainless Steel Diaper Pail, White
Bubula Stainless Steel Diaper Pail, White
Price: $89.99
5 used & new from $73.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design and long term value, June 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With a three year old and an almost 11 month old, we've had our share of diapers over the last few years. Got a diaper genie before our first was born, and have been using it ever since. No complaints, other than the cost of the liners. Diaper genies are a bit like printers. You may think it's low cost at first, but they get you on the supplies. Even with a different brand of liner, it only saves a few dollars. It adds up. And it really only serves the one role, so when the last is potty trained, the Diaper Genie is going away.

But, again, no problems. I didn't know there could be a better way. I think, for us, this Bubula is that better way. First off, ours worked right out the box. No problems or hassles or dents. Push down the big button on the side, the "trap door" opens and the diaper drops in, to be sealed back up again. Took a lot of pressure at first, but it loosens up a bit. My 3 year old can only open it the slightest bit, so I'm not worried about her getting a hand caught or dropping all manner of other items in there.

The white steel looks nice and is fairly durable, though it's not very thick so vulnerable to dents if knocked over or into really hard.

Some minor complaints. I would have liked to have some more information about it. In the box is just the can, with the pictorial instructions on the lid, and on a small card. It's not that complex, so not a big deal, but it seemed pretty spare in that box. The latch is my other complaint. It advertises a "lock" but I don't see how that works. The latch is easy opened and not terribly secure. No worse than the Diaper Genie, to be sure, but not at all "locked".

What I love is the fact it takes regular garbage bags. Get the scented kind and it's even better. No more extra hassle of running out or getting the special brand. Holds a lot. Another great thing is this has a longer usage. Once we're done with diaper, it can serve as a nice trash can, or as we're planning, for recycled cans/bottles.

More expensive at first, but really does save money in the long run, and can keep being used. A worthwhile investment.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20